PDA

View Full Version : The thought of PSO2 not releasing in NA/EU

SoSxDagg3r89
Jul 30, 2011, 03:07 PM
I really don't have much to say about this theory. I just wanted to know what you all thought about that possibility.
It scares the crap out of me thinking about it because it does seem that way due to nothing being released directly to the NA/EU population.
Please tell me there is some evidence that says this is not true! I will still play the JP version but I know none of my friends will and I like to know what people are saying in game : (

Taijutsu-Joshua
Jul 30, 2011, 03:11 PM
Well, the only evidence I know is that all of the games somehow made their way into US/EU

NoiseHERO
Jul 30, 2011, 03:13 PM
Well...

There was the Official forums having a PSO2 section.

Ruby possibly hinting at it them working on it.

They're responding to english speakers on the Facebook page I heard...

Some other stuff I can't remember, or maybe that was all and my memory was fuzzy.

and it'd be pretty grimy for us not to get in on the 10th anniversary of PSO, just because THEY fucked up with PSU.

I better not get ninja posted. edit: I got ninja posted, I'm mad.

Ecchi
Jul 30, 2011, 03:16 PM
I think anyone that thinks Pso2 wont come in the US/EU is just simply dumbfounded and has a very small thinking capacity.

NoiseHERO
Jul 30, 2011, 03:21 PM
I think anyone that thinks Pso2 wont come in the US/EU is just simply dumbfounded and has a very small thinking capacity.

I'm sorry this post just screams "FUCK YOU, DON'T JYNX IT."

It's highly unlikely we wouldn't get it, but obviously people are worried since nothing official has been said yet. This game looks really awesome so it would be the natural thing to run through peoples heads at this point.

RemiusTA
Jul 30, 2011, 03:25 PM

Way not to be a walking pile of steaming flamebait, bro. Good job.

It's an obvious possibility, but honestly there are too many factors to know whether or not it's a good one. My vote's on it making it over here.

BIG OLAF
Jul 30, 2011, 03:35 PM
It's an obvious possibility, but honestly there are too many factors to know whether or not it's a good one. My vote's on it making it over here.

I agree with this. PSO2 isn't a little side-title like Infinity was. It's a major release title. There's very little doubt in my mind that SEGA won't release it globally.

Also, Ecchi, you used the word "dumbfounded" incorrectly. I believe the correct word would be "delusional."

Ecchi
Jul 30, 2011, 03:38 PM
Ok... Iam dumbfounded for using dumbfounded incorrectly!

Skye-Fox713
Jul 30, 2011, 03:48 PM
It's highly unlikely we wouldn't get it, but obviously people are worried since nothing official has been said yet. This game looks really awesome so it would be the natural thing to run through peoples heads at this point.

That pretty much sums it up.

While we will most likely be getting PSO2 for US/EU. I'm worried and still crossing my fingers because nothing official has been said yet.

SoSxDagg3r89
Jul 30, 2011, 03:53 PM

That's a pretty bold statement seeing as there a large amounts of people that think that. I agree that it probably will be released globally but, It seems like Sega doesn't really care much for the Phantasy Star Series much outside of JP. That's the reason I stopped playing PSU about a year ago. I felt as if I were being handed scraps of updates and I felt very offended by it. I know the series isn't popular much here but it still really bugged me...

Ryoten
Jul 30, 2011, 04:19 PM
I say just give it time for some more info to come out. I'm pretty sure that SoJ won't just keep it in Japan.

CAMPSO
Jul 30, 2011, 04:29 PM
I agree with this. PSO2 isn't a little side-title like Infinity was. It's a major release title. There's very little doubt in my mind that SEGA won't release it globally.

This. Plus we've gotten every other PS game they've released so,
all that's left to do is be patient. :D

r00tabaga
Jul 30, 2011, 04:33 PM
This. Plus we've gotten every other PS game they've released so,
all that's left to do is be patient. :D

What about PSPo2:Infinity? Did that ever come stateside? No, but that might have been PSP's fault. Anyways, this game is the next PS game to be made since then so you never never know.

NoiseHERO
Jul 30, 2011, 05:03 PM
What about PSPo2:Infinity? Did that ever come stateside? No, but that might have been PSP's fault. Anyways, this game is the next PS game to be made since then so you never never know.

He said every OTHER PS game :0

Tetsaru
Jul 30, 2011, 05:29 PM
I really don't have much to say about this theory. I just wanted to know what you all thought about that possibility.
It scares the crap out of me thinking about it because it does seem that way due to nothing being released directly to the NA/EU population.
Please tell me there is some evidence that says this is not true! I will still play the JP version but I know none of my friends will and I like to know what people are saying in game : (

Don't give Sega any ideas... :argh:

Anon_Fire
Jul 30, 2011, 05:31 PM
Don't give Sega any ideas... :argh:

Word Select is the answer.

Fayorei
Jul 30, 2011, 05:46 PM
Word Select is the answer.

Has word select been confirmed for the Japanese release yet?

Because if so, JOY! That's some small glimmer of hope evidence of both a US/EU release and cross-regional servers.<3

Malachite
Jul 30, 2011, 06:28 PM
If it wasn't being released in multiple regions, why the hell would they announce something called global support? Also, 95% of Phantasy Star titles have come to NA, why wouldn't their BIGGEST title yet? (which is also a sequel to their most successful NA game)

They'll probably announce all the release dates at once; I doubt there's anything to worry about.

SoSxDagg3r89
Jul 30, 2011, 06:33 PM
If it wasn't being released in multiple regions, why the hell would they announce something called global support? Also, 95% of Phantasy Star titles have come to NA, why wouldn't their BIGGEST title yet? (which is also a sequel to their most successful NA game)

They'll probably announce all the release dates at once; I doubt there's anything to worry about.

Good point

The only thing getting me is the fact that everything they are releasing is not focused on anyone else but JP

Malachite
Jul 30, 2011, 06:36 PM
That's the case with most Japanese games that aren't hugely popular.

Taijutsu-Joshua
Jul 30, 2011, 07:10 PM
Well...

There was the Official forums having a PSO2 section.

Ruby possibly hinting at it them working on it.

They're responding to english speakers on the Facebook page I heard...

Some other stuff I can't remember, or maybe that was all and my memory was fuzzy.

and it'd be pretty grimy for us not to get in on the 10th anniversary of PSO, just because THEY fucked up with PSU.

I better not get ninja posted. edit: I got ninja posted, I'm mad.

Yes. Grimy is the perfect word to describe it.

SoSxDagg3r89
Jul 30, 2011, 09:15 PM
That's true. PSU was there own fuck up.

Forever Zero
Jul 30, 2011, 10:33 PM
I think there's a good chance we'll get the game. I looked up past Phantasy Star games just now and it looks like the only ones we didn't get were text adventures for Genesis and a couple of GameGear games. I'm not gonna rule out Infinity just YET! We may get Infinity eventually even if it winds up being a PSN only download with no UMD release due to the PSP phasing out (unfortunately) over here.

And heck, they even released PSO Ep III (which I LOVE!) over here which is a really obscure game that not many people have played or even know exists.

*edit*

Just skimmed through their facebook page and found this:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/MatsudaiZero/untitled.jpg

:D

HandOfThornz
Jul 31, 2011, 06:33 AM
I think PSO2 will be released in the EU and USA around Spring 2012.
It does not make bussiness sense to just release PSO2 to the japanese players only

Maybe we will hear something about it at the German game con. in a few weeks, if not TGS isnt too far away.

Zipzo
Jul 31, 2011, 07:31 AM
Agreed an your all retarded if you think otherwise.I'm getting annoyed by posters like you. What a worthless flame bait post.

I think there's a good chance we'll get the game. I looked up past Phantasy Star games just now and it looks like the only ones we didn't get were text adventures for Genesis and a couple of GameGear games.You missed a couple...we didn't get the awesome Playstation 2 Phantasy Star remakes of the first couple games, stayed in Japan.

Malachite
Jul 31, 2011, 07:34 AM
Remakes don't really count all that much, imo.

Justyn_Darkcrest
Jul 31, 2011, 07:42 AM
You missed a couple...we didn't get the awesome Playstation 2 Phantasy Star remakes of the first couple games, stayed in Japan.

If you're going to factor every single remake/re-release into the equation, then the odds get even better in our favor since they also re-released 1-2 on at least two major consoles, 3 on at least one handheld and the Wii, and 4 on the Wii as well.

Sorry but the bottom line is that until Japan announces that there will not be a NA/Eu release we can safely assume that we're getting the game.

Zipzo
Jul 31, 2011, 07:47 AM
If you're going to factor every single remake/re-release into the equation, then the odds get even better in our favor since they also re-released 1-2 on at least two major consoles, 3 on at least one handheld and the Wii, and 4 on the Wii as well.

Sorry but the bottom line is that until Japan announces that there will not be a NA/Eu release we can safely assume that we're getting the game.
I'm not one of the paranoid ones...I think everything will turn out fine but...

Did they ever officially announce that Infinity wasn't coming stateside? You think they would have before PSP basically is becoming useless over here.

It's also not typical to me that most developers in other countries actually succinctly and specifically announce that their game will not be coming to the US when they are making it, what makes the US so special to them that they feel they should? Usually the way it goes is we just end up figuring it out by never getting it. Unless you can provide examples, I guess.

Tommykun
Jul 31, 2011, 07:50 AM
If this game is not announced for US/EU, I swear I will fly to Japan and strangle someone at SoJ personally. However, due to Sega's track record I'm 99.9% sure it will hit. PSU was a flop because it really didn't have much in the way of PSO fun, but PSO2 is looking like it will along with some new and pretty cool features. By the way, I like the new saber design.

Justyn_Darkcrest
Jul 31, 2011, 08:01 AM
I'm not one of the paranoid ones...I think everything will turn out fine but...

Did they ever officially announce that Infinity wasn't coming stateside? You think they would have before PSP basically is becoming useless over here.

It's also not typical to me that most developers in other countries actually succinctly and specifically announce that their game will not be coming to the US when they are making it...usually the way it goes is we just end up figuring it out by never getting it. Unless you can provide examples, I guess.

To be clear, I was making a generalization, we're seeing way too many threads like this full of posts saying "No announcement?! We're not getting it!" and frankly that's just dumb.

Granted, most game companies won't tell us right out the gate that we're not getting a game, but I find it incredibly difficult to believe that a company trying to make money would promote a game with "Global Support" with "Global" meaning Japan only. Financially it doesn't make any sense.

Now in PSP2i's case, that is a hand held title that is a subplot of the current major title, which we received. Just like we got every other major PS title out there. So far the only ones they've left off are the obscure ones, remakes, a few re-releases, and one hand held expansion/sequel (not sure which and frankly don't care).

Every time they have come out with a new major title we have gotten it, and since this one is shaping up to be they're main focus for the next few years (minimum) I don't see them crippling themselves by not making it available to as many people as possible, especially since with it being PC only, they won't have the restrictions that come alongside dealing with consoles, and the companies that make them.

Edit:@Tommykun, Considering PSU is over 5 years old I wouldn't exactly call that a flop. However, the reason it didn't do as well as PSO had less to do with it's differences, and more so it's poor management/early hacking on the PC side.

Tommykun
Jul 31, 2011, 08:11 AM
To be clear, I was making a generalization, we're seeing way too many threads like this full of posts saying "No announcement?! We're not getting it!" and frankly that's just dumb.

Granted, most game companies won't tell us right out the gate that we're not getting a game, but I find it incredibly difficult to believe that a company trying to make money would promote a game with "Global Support" with "Global" meaning Japan only. Financially it doesn't make any sense.

Now in PSP2i's case, that is a hand held title that is a subplot of the current major title, which we received. Just like we got every other major PS title out there. So far the only ones they've left off are the obscure ones, remakes, a few re-releases, and one hand held expansion/sequel (not sure which and frankly don't care).

Every time they have come out with a new major title we have gotten it, and since this one is shaping up to be they're main focus for the next few years (minimum) I don't see them crippling themselves by not making it available to as many people as possible, especially since with it being PC only, they won't have the restrictions that come alongside dealing with consoles, and the companies that make them.

Edit:@Tommykun, Considering PSU is over 5 years old I wouldn't exactly call that a flop. However, the reason it didn't do as well as PSO had less to do with it's differences, and more so it's poor management/early hacking on the PC side.

Very true, but I mean flop as in it didn't match the expectations the majority of the PSO players had for it. It seemed too restrictive to be able to live up to the online gaming history behind the Phantasy Star name. My old crew migrated originally and quit before the free month was up. Management does make or break a game though, which if it were managed better they could have made certain tweaks to make it more accessible.

Angelo
Jul 31, 2011, 08:12 AM
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/MatsudaiZero/untitled.jpg

"Try"? Well that means they're not even considering it at this point.

Doesn't sound good, I'm afraid.

NoiseHERO
Jul 31, 2011, 08:13 AM
You guys have 5 months to learn japanese just in case.

Justyn_Darkcrest
Jul 31, 2011, 08:15 AM
You guys have 5 months to learn japanese just in case.

Naw I'm too lazy to bother. If it doesn't come out in the US I'll go join the inevitable snowball fight in hell that will break out.

Malachite
Jul 31, 2011, 08:17 AM

Yes, because a post from whatever random guy whose running their facebook is confirmation of something...

Wait, no it's not.

str898mustang
Jul 31, 2011, 08:19 AM
Yall keep on wishing :D

NoiseHERO
Jul 31, 2011, 08:20 AM
maybe it's engrish for "WE'RE WORKING ON IT :)"

Malachite
Jul 31, 2011, 08:24 AM
Exactly what I was thinking, on both accounts, Michaeru.

One, that IS most likely engrish and could mean pretty much anything. Two, I'm fairly certain that nobody of qualification to make that kind of announcement is running that page, and even if someone like that was, they sure as hell wouldn't announce anything in the format of a facebook comment... lol.

Zipzo
Jul 31, 2011, 08:32 AM

Oh boy, here comes the storm.

Malachite
Jul 31, 2011, 08:36 AM
There is absolutely NO reason for people to assume this isn't coming stateside lol. I don't understand it. Why is this such a big topic of discussion?

NoiseHERO
Jul 31, 2011, 08:41 AM
The more awesome the game the more paranoia to hope it continues on the path to what one considers perfection.

Sadly this game has already become perfect for so I just look down on all you noobs.

I don't care. I'll play this game in japanese. e_e

But yeah no really that's pretty much it.

It's just more "PSO2 was my idea" drama paranoia, only this time it's against the word of god.

Angelo
Jul 31, 2011, 08:46 AM
Oh boy, here comes the storm.

Then again, it's also just me dissecting semantics and implications.

1. We have no idea if the PR handling the Facebook page really has any authority or knowledge over the game's development and distribution.

2. We don't know for certain how it was meant to be taken since the poster more than likely does not have a perfect grasp on the English language.

NoiseHERO
Jul 31, 2011, 08:53 AM
I thought bonko was using the facebook, isn't she like right under sakai-baka?

I'm sure in the long run you'd just be putting in too much thought, if you add in engrish and the idea that right now they're trying to MAKE the game first. Of course natural and accurate response is "we're trying!"

If you made a video game, I think the last thing you're working on is how many languages you're gonna put it in.

I'm assuming they're still busy actually putting the game together to begin with right now. We're lucky to even get the hints that we HAVE(in relation to getting an english release)

What you CAN be worried about is whether or not we'd get the game the same time as JP. Personally I think we'd deserve that much, but I dunno about the size of PS's fanbase.

You could probably ask any nerd dude about PSO, but it's another story trying to find out how many people outside of japan still give a flip. Of course the whole selling point of PSO2's name is probably to drag all those people back.

Vashyron
Jul 31, 2011, 11:05 AM
Yep, Bonkohara (The person sending the PSO2 newsletters) is apparently in charge of the Facebook page.

keizeh
Jul 31, 2011, 11:11 AM

Notice he said "announce" specifically. I'm 90% sure it's going to release in the west. What most are worried about is the west getting it way later and/or having a gimped version.

Randomness
Jul 31, 2011, 11:48 AM
maybe it's engrish for "WE'RE WORKING ON IT :)"

Shut up mustang, what a loser, go back to japan land.

It's probably a short way of saying "I'll see if my boss will let me, but they're probably saving it for an event/magazine/etc"

Ark22
Jul 31, 2011, 12:49 PM
I'm pretty sure they confirmed it the day it was announce. Just indirectly

Ecchi
Jul 31, 2011, 07:19 PM
There is absolutely NO reason for people to assume this isn't coming stateside lol. I don't understand it. Why is this such a big topic of discussion?

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Masterflower
Jul 31, 2011, 11:23 PM
Sega could always do what Capcom did with Monster Hunter Frontier XD. Capcom mostly likely will do the same with Ixion Saga. >.>; I'm pretty sure Sega will bring it here, they could always use that income from the subscriptions. If Sega is smart, they will unified the servers so that way they can bring in a maximum amount of profit. Language Barrier? Do what SE does and incorporate auto-translate. I had no problems partying with JP players with auto-translate (They make the best parties lol). In this day and age, theres really no excuse not to make things international.

Jade DaBain
Jul 31, 2011, 11:30 PM

Also, Ecchi, you used the word "dumbfounded" incorrectly. I believe the correct word would be "delusional."

I agree. PSO2 is a major game just like PSO and PSU were. Sega would not make a major game and only have Japan play it, now would they? That be not only a poor move on Sega's part but also a huge money loss on Sega's part as well.

Masterflower
Jul 31, 2011, 11:37 PM
What I know will not mostly likely happen is a beta release for US/EU side :(

Jade DaBain
Jul 31, 2011, 11:39 PM
What I know will not mostly likely happen is a beta release for US/EU side :(

That may happen. I know there was no US beta for Blue Burst, at least that I can remember.

rezakon
Aug 1, 2011, 12:58 AM
If they make everyone connect to JPN servers, highly likely on no NA/EU beta.

If they make new servers for NA/EU, highly likely on NA/EU beta.

They certainly wouldn't be doing a beta for anything other then configuring the servers, correcting bandwidth issues and make sure they are up-to par to handle the task. Most other problems could easily be rectified by the testing done by the JPN player-base.

•Col•
Aug 1, 2011, 01:01 AM
That may happen. I know there was no US beta for Blue Burst, at least that I can remember.

There was one for Blue Burst.

RemiusTA
Aug 1, 2011, 01:25 AM

Yeah, there was one. I participated.

tehhaxorer
Aug 1, 2011, 02:56 AM
I think that it is probably a safe bet that it will come out in the US. Some of my reasoning:

-This is a direct sequel to a game that got good reviews, became iconic for its system, sold well, and gathered a large, loyal fan base. It is not a spinoff of a series on a console that is not popular.

-It seems as if part of why US PSU gets less attention compared to JP PSU is because updating console games is not at all as simple as updating PC games. Going thru an intermediate costs resources, and these costs don't exist when you are in control of your own game and distribution.

-The cost of translating and localizing PSO2 for a US/EU release would be far less than the profit they would make selling it here. Why would they exclude a huge player base? It wouldn't make financial sense to spend so much money to develop a game, yet not actually reach major markets.

Jade DaBain
Aug 1, 2011, 03:17 AM
There was one for Blue Burst.

Yeah, there was one. I participated.

I see. I didnt know that. I only knew of the Japanese one.

Anon_Fire
Aug 1, 2011, 08:20 PM
If PSO2 were to be released on something other than PC, then it would have to be Mac.

yoshiblue
Aug 1, 2011, 08:23 PM
I hear not many like or use Mac however. I personally don't and I have used both a laptop and a desktop from Mac. I do feel for them however. They need more games. If I became a gamer designer like I dream to be, I would try to tend to Mac users.

StriderTuna
Aug 1, 2011, 08:30 PM
Macs are a vicious cycle as people avoid them as they don't have many games and companies avoid them because they don't have many fans... Most find it easier to avoid the Mac and focus on the PC and perpetuate the cycle.

As far a general popularity, it doesn't help any that macs aren't easily repaired like a PC.

Fayorei
Aug 1, 2011, 09:36 PM
Macs are a vicious cycle as people avoid them as they don't have many games and companies avoid them because they don't have many fans... Most find it easier to avoid the Mac and focus on the PC and perpetuate the cycle.

As far a general popularity, it doesn't help any that macs aren't easily repaired like a PC.

There's also the fact that Bootcamp exists! It comes in the box now with new Macs, pre-installed. I had problems since I only had Windows XP to use with mine (internet wouldn't stay connected Windows-side, worked perfectly mac side with updated drivers).

As far as the pessimism on a global release, I really think it's going to come out. The reasons we didn't get several other games mentioned (Infinity, etc) are that... well they really weren't main entries in the series. As far as I know, several JRPG franchises have pulled a move where we get the same default game, and then a special version with extra content/characters of the same game gets released Japan-side only.

StriderTuna
Aug 1, 2011, 09:51 PM
There's also the fact that Bootcamp exists! It comes in the box now with new Macs, pre-installed. I had problems since I only had Windows XP to use with mine (internet wouldn't stay connected Windows-side, worked perfectly mac side with updated drivers).

As far as the pessimism on a global release, I really think it's going to come out. The reasons we didn't get several other games mentioned (Infinity, etc) are that... well they really weren't main entries in the series. As far as I know, several JRPG franchises have pulled a move where we get the same default game, and then a special version with extra content/characters of the same game gets released Japan-side only.

That's because the japanese market are far more open to rereleases of games for little to no good reason.

IN the west, the only company able to get away with that is Capcom as attemping a rerelease would only upset most people if other genres were involved. RPGers and such aren't fond of buying the same game twice and most western companies want to see good sales of the original game before considering the improved release.

THere are some exceptions as some games in the west have additions not found in the original jpn version. Though Square Enix is fond of releasing the original game, an improved western release, and the super duper "Japan only, flithy gajin dogs!" edition.

Some make the improved release the "greatest hit" edition (example: DMC3), which rewards the original's fans and makes rebuying it a better option due to its low price.

The only company that did a improved release flat out straight as I can see was Atlus with P3:FES (It might have been cheaper than the original, but it had no extra sound cd)

But on the PS topic, Phantasy Star wasn't exactly a big series in the west, not compared to Nintendo and its Final Fantasy. The Classic PS series hit its stride with PSIV, which is often compared to the Snes Final Fantasies. (High praise indeed)

yoshiblue
Aug 1, 2011, 09:54 PM
Nintendo does it. They re-release alot of their games all the time. Even in the west and we still buy it.

StriderTuna
Aug 1, 2011, 09:57 PM
They're usually ports, not something released on the same system. Even OoT Master Quest was released as bonus to I think Wind Waker. I don't recall them rereleasing a game (with whatever improvements) on the same system. Just ports and collections.

yoshiblue
Aug 1, 2011, 09:59 PM
You got me there. Unless you count Castlevania Legacy of Darkness to Castlevania (1999).

Fayorei
Aug 1, 2011, 10:03 PM
That's because the japanese market are far more open to rereleases of games for little to no good reason.

IN the west, the only company able to get away with that is Capcom as attemping a rerelease would only upset most people if other genres were involved. RPGers and such aren't fond of buying the same game twice and most western companies want to see good sales of the original game before considering the improved release.

THere are some exceptions as some games in the west have additions not found in the original jpn version. Though Square Enix is fond of releasing the original game, an improved western release, and the super duper "Japan only, flithy gajin dogs!" edition.

Some make the improved release the "greatest hit" edition (example: DMC3), which rewards the original's fans and makes rebuying it a better option due to its low price.

The only company that did a improved release flat out straight as I can see was Atlus with P3:FES (It might have been cheaper than the original, but it had no extra sound cd)

But on the PS topic, Phantasy Star wasn't exactly a big series in the west, not compared to Nintendo and its Final Fantasy. The Classic PS series hit its stride with PSIV, which is often compared to the Snes Final Fantasies. (High praise indeed)

I'm not dissing Japan for not releasing Infinity, etc here(really, it's not worth it most likely to them), but we haven't missed a main series Phantasy Star Online/Universe/Portable game yet. So I just think it's highly unlikely that PSO2 won't see the light of day here, when even Blue Burst did.:P

I was also thinking of Tales of Vesperia with my example. Tales games usually just don't get loved on for localization.

yoshiblue
Aug 1, 2011, 10:03 PM
Didn't someone say we were going to get the Alpha soon?

StriderTuna
Aug 1, 2011, 10:21 PM
You got me there. Unless you count Castlevania Legacy of Darkness to Castlevania (1999).

I sum that up more under Konami than Nintendo though Konami might have figured that releasing LoD wasn't a bad idea.

I'm not dissing Japan for not releasing Infinity, etc here(really, it's not worth it most likely to them), but we haven't missed a main series Phantasy Star Online/Universe/Portable game yet. So I just think it's highly unlikely that PSO2 won't see the light of day here, when even Blue Burst did.:P

I was also thinking of Tales of Vesperia with my example. Tales games usually just don't get loved on for localization.

Well... that's Namco and having unrealistic expectations for a jRPG on the 360 with the usual amount of advertising for a tales game (very little); I think ToV 360 did very well considering all things, but it's never enough for Namco it has to sell like their (overrated) 3d fighters.

I'm not sure why Blue Burst didn't come out for the western PC, but it didn't stop people from trying bring the experience to the west. Perhaps they weren't too sure of its chances in the face of WoW, etc. It is after all an improved port of a DC game. PSO2 on the other hand would be very new.

Vashyron
Aug 1, 2011, 10:35 PM
Didn't someone say we were going to get the Alpha soon?

"Mid August"

Fayorei
Aug 1, 2011, 11:02 PM
I'm not sure why Blue Burst didn't come out for the western PC, but it didn't stop people from trying bring the experience to the west. Perhaps they weren't too sure of its chances in the face of WoW, etc. It is after all an improved port of a DC game. PSO2 on the other hand would be very new.

Blue Burst did come to PC in US and EU and was a very niche title. We had a solid core of people playing, and I frequented the official PSO: Blue Burst SoA forums then. I met some really, really great people there. I'd love to find em all for PSO2, but I digress...

WoW has actually taken a huge sub hit recently (drip-feed content, I hear) and I've also played that for 2 years and haven't gotten anywhere near the small, close-knit enjoyment Blue Burst gave. We also had Episode IV come out, which renewed interest in good ol' PSO quite a bit.

With PSO2 being so new, and us getting new entrants to the MMO/ORPG market recently (Rift, and specifically Tera come to mind), and the fact that PSU came over and still exists within the 360 servers, I'd be downright surprised if PSO2 wasn't localized eventually. Tera coming here earnestly surprises me, but it has similar action-gameplay to PSO/PSU, so that's cool. And then there's the fact that FFXI did well with cross-region servers... but I am imagining that if PSO2 comes here, we'll be sealed off from the Japanese region and have another experience of a smaller yet dedicated community.:)

"Mid August"

Sounds exciting! Is this confirmed anywhere, and a US Alpha? I had been patiently waiting to sign up for a chance at JP closed beta or open beta, whichever.:)

Mike
Aug 1, 2011, 11:20 PM
Sounds exciting! Is this confirmed anywhere, and a US Alpha? I had been patiently waiting to sign up for a chance at JP closed beta or open beta, whichever.:)
It's Japanese only. The betas will start sometime after the Tokyo Game Show.

Shye
Aug 1, 2011, 11:24 PM

Reading that gave me a boo-boo...

*points at chest*

...in here.

AfroGuy!
Aug 1, 2011, 11:48 PM

so then is the beta worldwide? or is that also japan only?

Fayorei
Aug 2, 2011, 12:02 AM
so then is the beta worldwide? or is that also japan only?

I imagine also Japan-only, but I'm sure at least in open beta we could try it(though it'd be in Japanese, obviously:P).

Also, thanks for the info Mike! Helpful as usual.:)

RemiusTA
Aug 2, 2011, 10:39 AM
If the beta is japanese only, ive lost all hope for our version of the game.

Malachite
Aug 2, 2011, 10:49 AM
I still don't see the argument for why this game isn't coming to us. There's decent points for both sides of the argument, but there's nothing that really screams NO US in the first place.

HOWEVER, if we don't have access to the beta, I will be somewhat concerned. It's not like they need to be focusing on the US before the game is actually finished, and as of now it's nowhere near anything that can be remotely considered as finished. Things such as the FOcaseal outfit aren't even in place yet, so I think they've got a ways to go before anything US related is released. Though, if there's still no word once the open beta is up and going, I'll probably start to worry.

Fayorei
Aug 2, 2011, 11:15 AM
I still don't see the argument for why this game isn't coming to us. There's decent points for both sides of the argument, but there's nothing that really screams NO US in the first place.

HOWEVER, if we don't have access to the beta, I will be somewhat concerned. It's not like they need to be focusing on the US before the game is actually finished, and as of now it's nowhere near anything that can be remotely considered as finished. Things such as the FOcaseal outfit aren't even in place yet, so I think they've got a ways to go before anything US related is released. Though, if there's still no word once the open beta is up and going, I'll probably start to worry.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2dqn6vn.jpg

I agree with you. Tera has fully released in Korea way before the beta is even touching the US. The game launched ages ago, but the US is supposedly getting a beta in September or October. I believe though, that this makes me hesitant on the inclusion of cross-regional play.

But then there's this fact for FFXI:

FFXI(PC)
JP November 7, 2002
NA October 28, 2003

About a year between full game release dates. I think wait and see is the best approach!

The Last Baron
Aug 3, 2011, 04:12 AM
I Don't Get Why Everyone Is So Worried. If It Never Comes Out In The US We Can Always Play It In Japanese (Who Would Probably Provide And More Consistently Large Community Anyway).

Malachite
Aug 3, 2011, 04:59 AM
Your posts would almost be pretty damn good If They Weren't Typed Out Like This.

The Last Baron
Aug 3, 2011, 02:06 PM
Why Should How I Type Diminish The Quality Of My Post, Huh? Could You At Least Try To Stay On Topic?

Hey, Does Anyone Want To Place Bets On Whether They'll Put Out A NA Beta If They Are Going To Release An NA Version? To Me, It Seems Kind Of Silly. I Think That If They Put Out An NA Beta After Already Having A JP Beta To Test Whatever It Is They're Gonna Test Is Unnecessary. Maybe They Could Have Like A Free Month Or Something For Those Who Want To Test The Game.

amtalx
Aug 3, 2011, 02:31 PM
Why Should How I Type Diminish The Quality Of My Post, Huh? Could You At Least Try To Stay On Topic?
It doesn't diminish the content, but it is visually jarring since we are all trained that capitalization is only used for the first word of a sentence and nouns in certain cases. Your post may be brilliant, but it's not worth the eye raping to read it.

FOkyasuta
Aug 3, 2011, 02:32 PM
It doesn't diminish the content, but it is visually jarring since we are all trained that capitalization is only used for the first word of a sentence and nouns in certain cases. Your post may be brilliant, but it's not worth the eye raping to read it.

I used to be like that with the CAPS and all. And this is what i gotta say,

Have Fun Being The Outcast! ;3

And not only is it eye rapeish, It also makes you look quite *Gasp* Childish, Not to mention The Greatest Game Ever will just be a big flop if you continue ether way.

The Last Baron
Aug 3, 2011, 02:47 PM

I used to be like that. And this is what i gotta say,

Have Fun Being The Outcast! ;3

And not only is it eye rapeish, It also makes you look quite *Gasp* Childish, Not to mention The Greatest Game Ever will just be a big flop if you continue ether way.

Wow Guys, You Could At Least Try To Stay On Topic. Besides, My Posts Are No Harder To Read Than Anyone Else's.

How Do You Feel About SEGA's Potential Snub Of NA With PSO2? Would You See It As A Major Betrayal Of Their Loyal NA Fan Base?

Sayara
Aug 3, 2011, 03:36 PM
Caps lock? I think his shift key is broke thats all.

The Last Baron
Aug 3, 2011, 03:37 PM
Excuse Me Based Sayara But My Shift Key Is Working Perfectly Fine.

Malachite
Aug 3, 2011, 03:39 PM
Why do you type that way? Can you at least give an answer to that?

And lol @ telling people to stay on topic. That'l never happen x:

NoiseHERO
Aug 3, 2011, 03:48 PM
Protip, he's a tricky but obvious troll, don't even bother playing along...

OR...

He's just really creepy...

Malachite
Aug 3, 2011, 03:52 PM
He's not a troll, he's just really weird lol.

But the way he types does actually make it very difficult to read his posts, and I would much prefer he stopped.

BUT WHATEVER

omg guys get back on topic pso2 US/JP blahblahblah.