PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Dewman, worth playing gameplay wise?

Kurosu
Aug 13, 2011, 08:43 AM
It is said that this class is for more advanced players, since they have extremely low HP/DEF/EVA etc, but make up for it with increased offensive power.

I don't have a high level one, but I've kind of been wondering if they aren't a bit too fragile for the offensive bonuses they get.
I thought they would have the highest ATP by far, but Beasts actually beat them in this regard.
Same goes for TP/ACC when compared to the classes that excel in those areas.

Their PP is very low as well, nearly as low as the Cast class, but they don't have the high PP regeneration rate that the latter do.
So they are a class with above average values in the 3 offensive stats, but the other 6 stats are cripplingly low and they suffer from slow PP regeneration rate to boot.

Is it just me, or does that look very unpromising on paper?
Anyone with experience playing a high level one able to shed some light on how this works out in practice?
Unless the infinity blast thing adds a lot of offensive power gameplay wise, I just don't see their appeal from a gaming perspective, aesthetics aside.

Temprus
Aug 13, 2011, 09:56 AM
Well, I can show you a vid that lethal made ages ago during the demo and see if you like how it looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpA1LoIzfzU&feature=player_embedded

Merm
Aug 13, 2011, 10:45 AM
IMO none of the aesthetic quality of the Dewmans went to the males. ;-; The official art is a lie!

Anyway, to me, the fun part about the Dewmans is their mixup game. Beasts can't rely on Twin Handguns as much as Dewmans can, and a Dewman Hunter can still rely on Foverse for some good damage. Also a Dewman with Foverse and a Shotgun is fun as well to play with. XD

They're kinda like reversed Humans, in that they can deal out good Ranged, Melee AND Tech damage, just not the best. So see whether that is an attractive description to you I guess.

Aine
Aug 13, 2011, 12:18 PM
Statwise, they're terrible. They have severe PP problems, they'll only ever be second-best at HuRaFo, and their offensive balance goes to waste because there are very few situations where you should be mixing up styles (Hunters use Shotguns against Melee-resistant large enemies, but that's about it).

Infinity Blast makes up for these problems. If you run out of PP mid-level you can blast and let your PP regenerate (only dashing takes up PP in blast mode). HuRaFo blasts can sweep up small mobs quickly, especially in low-HP missions (MAI, Festival, GBR, Challenges).

Against certain bosses, Dewmans can outdamage other races. Overend (Hunter) can do more damage than even Konru against Flow Final (though it still loses to Shotgun CS2), and against first form Flow you can deal good damage without having to chase him around. Final Trigger (Ranger) is the fastest way to break Dios' leg cores. Falling Star (Force) is hands-down the fastest way to kill Giel Zohg.

Dewmans need to be completely rebirth-maxed to really shine.

Kurosu
Aug 14, 2011, 02:51 AM
I see, nice info, thanks.
I can understand that they have more options than other races that are geared toward a certain class, but it does seem limited in usefulness like Aine said. I guess it's nice if you get bored of your play style and want to change things up a bit.

vagabondkitten
Aug 15, 2011, 03:02 PM
I've actually been wondering the same thing myself. I'm getting ready to make the switch from PSP:2 to PSP:2i and my main is a newman force, but I've been using a beast hunter whenever I get sick of my main. Even though I like my beast, I really like the ability to do more than just melee on a dewman, and they really don't lose out on that much ATP (especially female dewman vs. female beast) and have MUCH better accuracy, not to mention I think they look cooler, and infinity blast looks interesting. However I feel like they're losing out on one of the main strengths of hunters, which is the high HP and DEF. I dunno, I'm really undecided on this... Anyone care to suggest which is the better hunter overall in the end game?

Aki_Yoruno
Aug 26, 2011, 10:35 PM
Sure, I believe Dumen (Dewmen, whatever) aren't the overall best hunters, but I went for them anyway. I'm a pure method player, in a method actor kind of sense. I go with whatever suits and keeps with my character's style/personality, not what's the best way to go. And because of that, I'm thrilled Dumen were added the way they were. That's how my main character was supposed to be back on PSO.

Kierto
Aug 27, 2011, 07:55 AM
My pet project of the last week or so has been to play a new Infinity savedata with only a Dewman on it, using no hand-me-downs and a self imposed ban on using DLC weapons until post first rebirth (Fox, Final Destination, No Items etc). He gotta earn everything on the way to the top, yo.

It's ticking along fine enough but it's early days (Lv120~). The only real downer is the craptastic PP regen when solo, but it's manageable through Just Guard/Damage PP absorb and the like, but I do look forward to some higher star weapons with PP reduction, i.e. Psychowand, along with rebirth and abilities from other jobs (mainly playing HU atm). I plan to stick out with it until rebirth maxed!

Online in chaining situations he does as fine as anyone else, although somehow the mix-up game touted by the devs is rather unnecessary. Unless playing BR it's generally just worthwhile to stick to your class's function and throw out Foverse/ShotgunCSII/Sazonde/delete as appropriate. The worth of defensive stats in Infinity difficulty outside of HP is debatable so if anything it's just moar practice of dodging/p-guarding correctly in the lower difficulties. After the horrid tedium of completing 4x story modes again is over the 'real game' will begin as he progresses through the online tacticals and stuff but so far I'm enjoying it.

After playing Cast(+Newman) through PSU until now though it definitely feels less 'easy mode' but ultimately not that huge a deal. The comedown after revelling in glorious Cast+Newman PP and lording it up as a multi-rebirthed doombot in Infinity difficulty as RA/FO was a bitch and I forgot how horrid story mode is to repeat, but Infinity blasts and the race's general ugly-prettiness (or lack of) suit me though. Final Trigger RA iBlast is love.