PDA

View Full Version : Newman Fighter help! ♥

Little Misha
Aug 17, 2011, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I know.
It sucks.
But when I get bored on Masterforce, I need something else to do! ^^;

So, I decided to make Misha a Fighmaster for the heck of it.
Any idea on how I can make her at least an average hitting fighter than a below average? :o

unicorn
Aug 17, 2011, 08:24 PM
tbh, just pretty much the same equipment a Beast/CAST would use.

ATP doesnt mean much (although it does help) because most of the time you're overkilling enemies anyway. The only thing you're really gimped with is not having a racial ability.

Akumamaru
Aug 17, 2011, 09:48 PM
god a newman after my own heart xD i run a male newman fighmaster if you want i could show you what i have message me here or my GT WRECKtos

Yusaku_Kudou
Aug 17, 2011, 10:01 PM
I personally have leveled every type on my new?an of four years except the tech types. I found Gunmaster to be the most satisfying through the years. Fighmaster is very limited, so I would personally suggest Fortefighter over that, even. My GT is Jilted Valkyrie if you want to do runs.

TheAstarion
Aug 18, 2011, 07:42 AM
Statistically, the thing to do with a newman is to use things with low modifiers and multiple hits, both in terms of type and PAs. What this does is narrows the gap between the highest ATP characters and the newmans. The higher the multiplier, the greater the difference between your newman and the muscle races.

For a Fighmaster, double sabers may be the way to go. Spiral dance is the number one choice for damage. Lots of hits in quick succession. If you're open to suggestion, however, I'd say a Newman Acrofighter is a cool and quirky combo for those wanting to play Newman fighters. Highest evasion and range mag damage in the game! Also, quite a few weapons, like single claws, with the properties I've mentioned. Shousen Totsuzan-Ga is a favourite of mine; simple, damaging and sees good use as a utility for knocking down big threatening guys.

While playing Newman FF I kept looking for my whip and tech-mag. When playing AF I just rolled with it, it just seemed natural that the elf was being quick!

Kay Jay
Aug 18, 2011, 09:10 AM
Yes i have a Newman Acrofighter / Masterforce and he can hold his own with any fighter. Plus its a really fun class to play.

Selphea
Aug 18, 2011, 11:36 AM
Statistically, the thing to do with a newman is to use things with low modifiers and multiple hits, both in terms of type and PAs. What this does is narrows the gap between the highest ATP characters and the newmans. The higher the multiplier, the greater the difference between your newman and the muscle races.

Statistically, I think the gap between a high ATP race and a Newman actually widens on a low modifier, high hit count PA.

Warning: boring algebra in the spoiler:

[SPOILER-BOX]

Key:
C = Character ATP
E = Equipment ATP
M = Modifiers to ATP, like PA modifier, buffs, elementals etc
D = Target DFP
n = Number of hits
X = ATP Difference between Newman and any other race, say Cast for example, so that we can factor out ATA since their ATAs are close.

So the basic damage formula (from PSUpedia) on PSU is:

[M(C + E) - D] x n

But that's a bit too many brackets so I'll simplify it a little:

nM(C + E) - nD

And the formula for Newman damage as a percentage of Cast damage is:

nM(C + E - X) - nD
--------------------------
nM(C + E) - nD

Taking X out of the bracket, we have:

nM(C + E) - nD - nMX
------------------------------
nM(C + E) - nD

And finally, simplifying that, we have:

nMX
1 - -------------------
nM(C + E) - nD

This means that as the second term tends to 0, the gap between Newman and Cast damage shrinks. Since it is a fractional polynomial, this happens if the numerator decreases or the denominator increases.

Now, note that n is a common factor in both the numerator and denominator, this means it can be cancelled out, i.e. the number of hits has no impact on the damage ratio of Newman vs Cast, which is true - whether a Newman does 1 hit at 80% the damage of a Cast, or 10 hits at 80% the damage of a Cast, it's still 80%.

Second, note that M also appears in both the numerator and the denominator. However, in the denominator it is only applied on the positive term. So as M increases, the denominator increases at a faster rate than the numerator. In practical terms, the higher the PA modifier, buff, etc, the lower the percentage gap between Newman damage and Cast damage.

Why is this so? Because of the one term that isn't affected by M, which is nD. If a Newman hits once, for 800 damage vs a Cast hitting for 1000 damage, and 100 damage per hit is lost due to enemy DFP, the Newman's damage ratio is 700/900 = 77.8% of a Cast's. If the same Newman used a PA that's half as strong and hits twice, for 400 + 400 damage vs a Cast hitting for 500 + 500 damage, 200 damage is lost due to DFP, so the ratio becomes 600/800 = 75% of a Cast's.

Third thing to note, as E increases, the denominator increases. This means better equipment, like higher ATP weapons will lower the percentage gap between a Newman and a Cast. Same logic applies here. If both the Newman and the Cast equipped a weapon that had 200 more ATP, the numerical damage they gain is the same, but since the Newman starts off "poorer" in damage, that 200 ATP means more to them =p

As for the other terms, D is kind of out of your control, since it's the target's DFP. You can use Zalure to lower it I suppose, and a fixed 40 damage gained means more to a Newman than a high ATP race, but it's still not that worth the cast time IMO. C and X are constant, since the OP mentioned the class i.e. FM.

So the conclusion is: while it is true that a higher PA modifier does result in a bigger numerical gap between Newman damage and Cast damage, it also creates a smaller percentage gap between the two races. So in the end, you should just stack uber gear, strong PAs and gogo big numbarz. Bet you didn't need algebra to know that! :O
[/SPOILER-BOX]

dias_flac_0g
Aug 18, 2011, 04:42 PM
During our past event I was bored as hell with nothing to do so I decided to lvl up fortefighter to 20 and use my beast PA's and 50% weps on my newman and she's awesome.

She doesnt hit as hard as my beast but she can def hold her own big time.

I also GASed her out though. Maxed out her ATP and her HP.

It's awesome swinging around 50% spears with a cute little newman girl :)

TheAstarion
Aug 18, 2011, 05:11 PM
Statistically, I think the gap between a high ATP race and a Newman actually widens on a low modifier, high hit count PA.

Warning: boring algebra in the spoiler:

[SPOILER-BOX]

Key:
C = Character ATP
E = Equipment ATP
M = Modifiers to ATP, like PA modifier, buffs, elementals etc
D = Target DFP
n = Number of hits
X = ATP Difference between Newman and any other race, say Cast for example, so that we can factor out ATA since their ATAs are close.

So the basic damage formula (from PSUpedia) on PSU is:

[M(C + E) - D] x n

But that's a bit too many brackets so I'll simplify it a little:

nM(C + E) - nD

And the formula for Newman damage as a percentage of Cast damage is:

nM(C + E - X) - nD
--------------------------
nM(C + E) - nD

Taking X out of the bracket, we have:

nM(C + E) - nD - nMX
------------------------------
nM(C + E) - nD

And finally, simplifying that, we have:

nMX
1 - -------------------
nM(C + E) - nD

This means that as the second term tends to 0, the gap between Newman and Cast damage shrinks. Since it is a fractional polynomial, this happens if the numerator decreases or the denominator increases.

Now, note that n is a common factor in both the numerator and denominator, this means it can be cancelled out, i.e. the number of hits has no impact on the damage ratio of Newman vs Cast, which is true - whether a Newman does 1 hit at 80% the damage of a Cast, or 10 hits at 80% the damage of a Cast, it's still 80%.

Second, note that M also appears in both the numerator and the denominator. However, in the denominator it is only applied on the positive term. So as M increases, the denominator increases at a faster rate than the numerator. In practical terms, the higher the PA modifier, buff, etc, the lower the percentage gap between Newman damage and Cast damage.

Why is this so? Because of the one term that isn't affected by M, which is nD. If a Newman hits once, for 800 damage vs a Cast hitting for 1000 damage, and 100 damage per hit is lost due to enemy DFP, the Newman's damage ratio is 700/900 = 77.8% of a Cast's. If the same Newman used a PA that's half as strong and hits twice, for 400 + 400 damage vs a Cast hitting for 500 + 500 damage, 200 damage is lost due to DFP, so the ratio becomes 600/800 = 75% of a Cast's.

Third thing to note, as E increases, the denominator increases. This means better equipment, like higher ATP weapons will lower the percentage gap between a Newman and a Cast. Same logic applies here. If both the Newman and the Cast equipped a weapon that had 200 more ATP, the numerical damage they gain is the same, but since the Newman starts off "poorer" in damage, that 200 ATP means more to them =p

As for the other terms, D is kind of out of your control, since it's the target's DFP. You can use Zalure to lower it I suppose, and a fixed 40 damage gained means more to a Newman than a high ATP race, but it's still not that worth the cast time IMO. C and X are constant, since the OP mentioned the class i.e. FM.

So the conclusion is: while it is true that a higher PA modifier does result in a bigger numerical gap between Newman damage and Cast damage, it also creates a smaller percentage gap between the two races. So in the end, you should just stack uber gear, strong PAs and gogo big numbarz. Bet you didn't need algebra to know that! :O
[/SPOILER-BOX]

Alrighty fair enough. I actually forgot about the DFP because it makes so little difference compared to hard coded damage reduction flags (half physical damage vs. robots, gohmon half damage tech resistance, etc)

But, looking at the numbers, no matter how small the DFP hurdle is, it's still there for each hit, so yeah, you're absolutely right.

Meanwhile, equip weapon, hit dudes. Space Elf Jabroga, Go!

Little Misha
Aug 20, 2011, 12:44 PM
god a newman after my own heart xD i run a male newman fighmaster if you want i could show you what i have message me here or my GT WRECKtos

Oh shucks! I'll actually will be playing with you soon. Been at an Anime Convention in Florida! Aha. But I'll actually take everyone's advice. I trust you guys. :3 <3