PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Alpha Videos

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

NoiseHERO
Aug 22, 2011, 05:45 PM
Pso is an cooperative player game. It's you, and friends against the AI. The AI is always stronger. You must over come it. You guys keep thinking about this game like a fighting game were you fight each other. That is the wrong way to think of this game. It's US vs them "the AI" So throw balance out the window and purify the world.

I actually never thought about this...

There is literally no competition in this game...

So there's no real reason to whine about balance...

The only thing to worry about is what class is literally too over powered, and ruins the use of team work. Or too under powered, and kills the ability to solo.

Either way, raise your hand if you came expecting new videos and just saw more bickering about some other oldass game.

Blueblur
Aug 22, 2011, 06:02 PM
*raises hand*

Can't wait for tomorrow and the next batch of vids. :)

kyuuketsuki
Aug 22, 2011, 06:02 PM
Pso is an cooperative player game. It's you, and friends against the AI. The AI is always stronger. You must over come it. You guys keep thinking about this game like a fighting game were you fight each other. That is the wrong way to think of this game. It's US vs them "the AI" So throw balance out the window and purify the world.
This is true, there's no competitive PvP to worry about (thank god). However, it's not fun to struggle compared to a character of another class/race or feel like you don't contribute to your party simply because the class/race combo that appeals to you most is gimped (or the other class/race is overpowered to the point of being "broken").

They should definitely aim to prevent huge gaps in "power" between class/race combos, but it's not critical that they be perfectly balanced. Which is best, I think, because the only way true balance is ever really achieved is by homogenizing, which is very not fun.

CAMPSO
Aug 22, 2011, 06:17 PM
I came here hoping to see new videos. Then i realized we see anything till tomorrow :(

RikkiBlackNanobeast
Aug 22, 2011, 06:52 PM
I can't wait for tomorrow too. ;)

Ark22
Aug 22, 2011, 07:27 PM
With my new laptop, I cannot wait either.

Zaix
Aug 22, 2011, 08:10 PM
*waits 6 hours for alpha to strart up again*

Arkios
Aug 22, 2011, 08:19 PM

90% accurate.

However, you have to remember that there is still balance issues when comparing classes, but most people can overlook this due to the difficulty setting. For example, anyone that played through PSO and cleared Ultimate can attest to the fact that it's not that hard once you get into the 120+ level range. At that point, nobody cares about balance because you can clear the levels with relative ease. Who cares if a RAcast does more damage than a RAcaseal? Nobody, because the difficulty is not that high, so nobody cares if it takes 5 more seconds to kill a boss.

Now if you take that same scenario and crank up the difficulty, it does matter. What if the boss fight is SO difficult that those 5 seconds make or break whether you win or lose the fight. Suddenly nobody wants to play with RAcaseals and you feel forced to play RAcast simply because they fill that niche role better.

Personally, I'd prefer that the difficulty be toned down a bit, just to make balance be less important. If I have a cool looking weapon and a stupid looking weapon that does slightly more damage, I'm going to use the cool looking weapon 9 times out of 10. If they make the game incredibly difficult, then a player gets pidgin holed into min/maxing and using the absolute BEST equipment possible at all times. For some people this is a fun play style, but for most people it's not.

You also run into issues with weapons that are extremely overpowered (Frozen Shooter). It would be nice to have less items like that, where you feel OBLIGATED to have it, otherwise you're gimped.

Just my two cents.

Zyrusticae
Aug 22, 2011, 08:38 PM
They should definitely aim to prevent huge gaps in "power" between class/race combos, but it's not critical that they be perfectly balanced. Which is best, I think, because the only way true balance is ever really achieved is by homogenizing, which is very not fun.
This is mathematically untrue.

Say you have two attacks. One attack does 15 damage in a massive circle AoE. The other attack does 120 damage and is a single target attack.

Assuming they both have the same animation times and similar ranges, the first attack has to hit an average of 8 targets to do as much damage as the second. That is the point at which it is equivalent to the second attack. If the average number of enemies fought at any one point in time is nowhere near 8 targets, then the first attack should be buffed until it is roughly equal in the average situation - thus it becomes less useful when there are fewer enemies to attack, and becomes more useful when there are more. They are used in completely different situations, but they are still balanced with one another.

Second example: One attack does 200 damage. Another attack does 150 damage but slows down the target's attack speed. Simple math; consider how long it takes for attack 1 to down the enemy, then consider how much damage they take. Then consider the same thing for the second player, and tweak the attack speed snare until the second player has a moderate advantage in how little damage they take (to balance out the fact that they are doing less damage, and thus killing the target less quickly). One is riskier but faster, the other is safer but slower.

This is without going into things like pp cost, cooldown times, attack range, animation time, and so forth. The idea that balance is impossible is largely a myth perpetuated by years upon years of horribly balanced video games; it's really more a lack of human ingenuity and less a true law of the universe that sees so many games unable to achieve something even close to real balance. I've seen lots of developers make hilarious foibles like giving one class an ability that does tons of damage and costs tons of mana and then giving another class an equivalent ability that does less damage and costs less mana, with the idea that the two are balanced by the consumption - not realizing that burst DPS is massively superior to sustain and that mana consumption can always be worked around through excessive consumable usage (in addition to whatever natural mana sustain abilities they might have). That's not an issue with the math - that's just human stupidity.

Also, it's worth noting that a lot of players are really biased towards whatever they're playing, and will skew their perceptions accordingly. It wouldn't surprise me that a perfectly balanced game still sees players complain about X class's Y ability just because they don't like it or they're forced to react to it in some way.

But, math? See, math never lies. It's not in its nature. Respect the math, yo. ;-)

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 22, 2011, 09:02 PM
Refrain from posting your opinions as facts, especially when they are so ill-considered.I know it has already been pointed out, but holy shit is that ever ironic coming from you.

The idea that balance is impossible is largely a myth perpetuated by years upon years of horribly balanced video games; it's really more a lack of human ingenuity and less a true law of the universe that sees so many games unable to achieve something even close to real balance.Completely and totally agreed.

Pso is an cooperative player game. It's you, and friends against the AI. The AI is always stronger. You must over come it. You guys keep thinking about this game like a fighting game were you fight each other. That is the wrong way to think of this game. It's US vs them "the AI" So throw balance out the window and purify the world.There is never any excuse for such gross balance issues in any sort of multiplayer game, whether it be competitive or not. Now, I agree that obsessing over your stats and how much damage you do is stupid and generally a waste of everyone's time in a game with no PvP, but you have to realize that people will compare equipment and statistics as they progress in the game. Also, it is no fun to be playing a class that excels at nothing and therefore adds nothing to a party (cf. HUmar and Wartecher).

There is another reason why balance is important. People will naturally want to use the best/strongest equipment and classes, even if they are not what you would traditionally call power-gamers. If classes and equipment are so poorly balanced that a few completely outshine the rest, then a large portion of the content of your game will never be used by anyone. The problem with this is clear, as variety is of the utmost importance in online multiplayer games.

The only type of game where I'll let gross imbalances fly is an offline single player game, and even then it will annoy me that so much of the content is not even worth using.

Pillan
Aug 22, 2011, 09:07 PM

Say you have two attacks. One attack does 15 damage in a massive circle AoE. The other attack does 120 damage and is a single target attack.

Assuming they both have the same animation times and similar ranges, the first attack has to hit an average of 8 targets to do as much damage as the second. That is the point at which it is equivalent to the second attack. If the average number of enemies fought at any one point in time is nowhere near 8 targets, then the first attack should be buffed until it is roughly equal in the average situation - thus it becomes less useful when there are fewer enemies to attack, and becomes more useful when there are more. They are used in completely different situations, but they are still balanced with one another.

Second example: One attack does 200 damage. Another attack does 150 damage but slows down the target's attack speed. Simple math; consider how long it takes for attack 1 to down the enemy, then consider how much damage they take. Then consider the same thing for the second player, and tweak the attack speed snare until the second player has a moderate advantage in how little damage they take (to balance out the fact that they are doing less damage, and thus killing the target less quickly). One is riskier but faster, the other is safer but slower.

This is without going into things like pp cost, cooldown times, attack range, animation time, and so forth. The idea that balance is impossible is largely a myth perpetuated by years upon years of horribly balanced video games; it's really more a lack of human ingenuity and less a true law of the universe that sees so many games unable to achieve something even close to real balance. I've seen lots of developers make hilarious foibles like giving one class an ability that does tons of damage and costs tons of mana and then giving another class an equivalent ability that does less damage and costs less mana, with the idea that the two are balanced by the consumption - not realizing that burst DPS is massively superior to sustain and that mana consumption can always be worked around through excessive consumable usage (in addition to whatever natural mana sustain abilities they might have). That's not an issue with the math - that's just human stupidity.

Also, it's worth noting that a lot of players are really biased towards whatever they're playing, and will skew their perceptions accordingly. It wouldn't surprise me that a perfectly balanced game still sees players complain about X class's Y ability just because they don't like it or they're forced to react to it in some way.

But, math? See, math never lies. It's not in its nature. Respect the math, yo. ;-)

Actually, balancing AOE and single target damage is fairly easy to do by giving every class option an AOE and single target optimizing art or weapon. This way you avoid undervaluing one relative to the other in less than ideal conditions. The main difficulty with a perfect balance model in PSO comes from valuing things that are not directly related to minimizing mission clear time, such as range and versatility in general.

In other words, even if Newmans have twice the evasion of Casts, the bottom line is that they do 20% less damage as Hunters and Rangers.

Serephim
Aug 22, 2011, 09:21 PM

Apparently it does. You really don't think that the developers dont think of this stuff while creating the game? The bottom line is, no matter how you try to incorporate math into the equation, there's always an element that you will never be able to account for; human uncertainty, which is never
100% certain.

The reason fighting games and MMOs can't achieve balance is because of how ridiculously impossible it is to create a game that is balanced in the light of hundreds of possible combinations of variables that would change the outcome. While most of these changes SHOULD be obvious, some of them aren't, but it doesn't matter because a very small change can upset the balance of the game in the long run. You can do all kinds of DPS calculations and alterations, but you'd then have to account for the type of enemies encountered, their AI, their stats, your own stats, the number of players in your party, buffs/debuffs, blah blah blah blah.

This is true mostly for fighting games but for MMOs as well. Unfortunately. the issue with PSU's balancing seemed to be that the devs just didn't seek to fix them.

I'll admit though, PSU's balancing just simply did not make sense in many areas. But a majority of PSU's balancing problems came from the game mechanics themselves, and not the movelists. They were just not good ideas, the lot of them.

And things like evasion, defense, magic defense as perks for classes? They're only useful if they're useful. In other words, if Hucast has 100 ATP and 0 Magic Defense, and Hunewearl has 100 Magic Defense but 10 ATP, then the only way that Hunewearl doesn't completely suck is if that 0 Magic Defense on that Hucast is going to be such a liability that the Hunewearl will still kill faster. It's a bad example, but you get my point. The reason Evasion/Defense doesn't matter is because MMOs are usually 100% focused on "SPAM SKILL KILL ENEMY FAST AS YOU CAN". So who cares if im going to take a bit more damage?

And on that note, i have yet to see a game that does Magic Def in a way that actually makes it useful. If you have 10,000 HP, 0 Magic Defense, and do 100 DPS vs. A magician with 1000 HP, tons of magic defense, who does about 400 DPS of magic damage...that "0 magic defense" should so exponentally INCREASE the magic damage done that it balances out where the Hucast might as well only have 1000 HP as well. Magic classes are so often borked when it comes to PVP and PVE because they are so constantly underpowered out of fear of OPing them.

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 22, 2011, 09:25 PM
BUT IT'S HARD! D:

...is no excuse not to try.

Serephim
Aug 22, 2011, 09:30 PM
They DO try. They just fail.

If one of you guys who are so 100% "METAGAME" were put in charge of this game's balancing, im about 99.5% positive it'd be broken by midgame. There are alot of variables to think about. You aren't just balancing the characters, you have to mold them to pretty much everything in the game. That includes the enemies, every stat point you gain per level, every % increase a skill gains per level, the speed at which that skill gains EXP, blah blah blah blah blah.

Imagine if you were given complete control of a fighting game with a roster of only 10 characters, and was told to "make them all sufficently unique but balanced". You would have so much work on your hands you'd probably quit.

(which is probably what the fool in charge of MvC3 did)

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 22, 2011, 09:34 PM
Yes, I think everyone agrees that properly balancing a game is a lot of work, which is why it is so seldom done.

Serephim
Aug 22, 2011, 09:35 PM
I think a fun experiment right now would be to ask this:

You people who are saying PSO was "terribly balanced", what is it that caused it to be that way? List the top 5 reasons. Be specific.

Better yet, i'll be generous. List the top 8!

Omega-z
Aug 22, 2011, 09:47 PM
Enforcer MKV I had the same thought about the Customizing with Casts too, didn't see the face/head morphing or the body and body parts morphing section. There wasn't Face detail options. The only option was the height and width placement options to parts PSU to PSP2 cast type's and the Big and small head options. More parts would help but not being able to morph them and change them more fully to one like's would be no better then PSU's.:no:

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 22, 2011, 09:48 PM
In no particular order:

1. Certain weapon specials. Most are completely worthless, while a few in particular are hilariously overpowered.
2. Half the classes being redundant.
3. Attack techs being grossly underpowered and/or causing damage cancel.
4. MAGs and a stockpile of materials letting you equip ludicrously high-end equipment on a new character.
5. Enemy stats being so pathetic compared to the stats of high level characters, to the point of most enemies not even being able to damage players.
6. Giving half the enemies cheap bullshit instakill attacks to make up for the above.
7. The game penalized you for having too much HP by making certain attacks chain-hit you to death in seconds, which was unavoidable past a certain level for certain classes.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what came to mind right now. The first two are the most flagrant violations, as they make large portions of the game's content completely worthless.

Angelo
Aug 22, 2011, 09:56 PM
7. The game penalized you for having too much HP by making certain attacks chain-hit you to death in seconds, which was unavoidable past a certain level for certain classes.

Holy shit, THIS!

Dabian
Aug 22, 2011, 09:57 PM
Spread Needle would like a word.

Pik
Aug 22, 2011, 10:02 PM
Did they announce when they are going to have the Beta test? I heared they are aiming for a 2011 release, so I am assuming the Beta will not be long after the Alpha?

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 22, 2011, 10:04 PM
Beta is supposed to take place after TGS, so mid-late September.

Dabian
Aug 22, 2011, 10:05 PM
Don't have a source, but I remember reading somewhere that the Beta would start after TGS (Tokyo Game Show). That's mid September.

M3rror
Aug 22, 2011, 10:08 PM
haha yes PSO was VERY broken. Not as much as PSU though. Don't forget how FO's are basically slaves and the soloCAST.

1) RA's sweeping everything with Hell
2) HUcasts being powerful enough to solo even Ultimate (Being immune to status conditions with a cure/shock, massive ATP, get a good weapon selection, decently high level)
3) Overpowered weapons (i.e. Heaven Stiker (zerk), L&K38 Combat (Even combo-locked), Needles)
4) % system causing powerful weapons even more powerful
5) Enemies lacking range causing rangers to go "lalalalala" while killing them.
6) Giving FO's (minus FOnewearl) Excalibur. Mainly just a FOmar using it is enough.
7) Chaining Photon Blasts (More so just one person using Myalla & Youlla and everyone else something differet) to create a MASSIVE boost.
8) Techs taking forever to cast versus a Ranger or Hunter attacking more often and usually at equal or greater damage.

Dabian
Aug 22, 2011, 10:17 PM
Social game blah blah aside, there are going to be people who want/itch/try to solo. Balance issues, in the case of PSO, became glaringly obvious then.

This isn't a game like (or at least I hope it isn't) World of Warcraft, where you needed a dedicated healer and tank to get by dungeons. Thus every class/race/skills build that isn't cookie cutter (minus the outrageous ones of course) must satisfy the player's need for performance. It's a very subtle feeling that you can achieve something with your character rather than "might as well monkey see monkey do because that's the pwn spec lolz" or something like that :p

Pik
Aug 22, 2011, 10:41 PM
http://www.4gamer.net/games/120/G012075/20110822011/

Got from http://bumped.org/psublog/category/phantasy-star-online-2/

oops, I meant to reply to the alpha video thread, made a new topic instead D: sorry.

*edit*
It was moved to the right place :D. Like magic...

BioWarrior
Aug 22, 2011, 11:43 PM
I plan to try and stay up tonight to watch some streams for once. What's the best way to find them once alpha starts?

Serephim
Aug 22, 2011, 11:44 PM
In no particular order:

1. Certain weapon specials. Most are completely worthless, while a few in particular are hilariously overpowered.
4. MAGs and a stockpile of materials letting you equip ludicrously high-end equipment on a new character.
5. Enemy stats being so pathetic compared to the stats of high level characters, to the point of most enemies not even being able to damage players.
6. Giving half the enemies cheap bullshit instakill attacks to make up for the above.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what came to mind right now. The first two are the most flagrant violations, as they make large portions of the game's content completely worthless.

And now, take those problems and deduct how they became problems in the first place! I'll start off by noting that none of those were problems for starting characters. And by starting i do mean the first good number of hours you're going to play the game from scratch. Most of those are endgame problems, which helps prove my point very well.

...with the exception of

7. The game penalized you for having too much HP by making certain attacks chain-hit you to death in seconds, which was unavoidable past a certain level for certain classes....because that hasn't happened since Dreamcast. In fact, i dont even know why you brought that up. FYI, i pretend like those games didn't even exist, because i never played them and Ep 1&2 are infinitely better.

edit: but you know what, you can go ahead and use that too. It's also in line with what im talking about, despite it being useless to be talking about an older version of a game ignoring changes when speaking of balance : /

Pik
Aug 22, 2011, 11:44 PM
When does the alpha start up again? 12am PST?

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 22, 2011, 11:46 PM
RAcasts in PSOBB would get chain-killed by the Episode 4 boss past a certain level. It was basically impossible to solo the boss as a high level RAcast. Also, I don't care about any version of the game other than BB, as it is clearly the definitive version.

And now, take those problems and deduct how they became problems in the first place!What does this even mean?

I'll start off by noting that none of those were problems for starting characters. And by starting i do mean the first good number of hours you're going to play the game from scratch. Most of those are endgame problems, which helps prove my point very well.No, it doesn't prove jack shit.

BioWarrior
Aug 22, 2011, 11:50 PM
When does the alpha start up again? 12am PST?

Yep, hoping for some tech footage of barta, Zonde, and Razonde tonight!

Serephim
Aug 22, 2011, 11:52 PM
....that's the only instance? That's less of an imbalance and more of a reverse exploit.

Pik
Aug 22, 2011, 11:53 PM
Are these all issues that we are seeing pop up in the alpha test, or are you guys just arguing over what was wrong with an old game?

Dongra
Aug 22, 2011, 11:56 PM
...because that hasn't happened since Dreamcast
It happened in episodes 1 & 2 and Blue Burst as well. Online only on GC but it still happened in all versions of the game.

You're still going on about this? I still don't see the problem with this.

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 22, 2011, 11:59 PM
Are these all issues that we are seeing pop up in the alpha test, or are you guys just arguing over what was wrong with an old game?The latter, because there is nothing new to discuss in way of the former.

Pik
Aug 23, 2011, 12:01 AM
The latter, because there is nothing new to discus in way of the former.

ok cool, I was getting a little worried.

Lolitron
Aug 23, 2011, 12:10 AM
Can OP be updated with some videos? Going through 54 pages is kind of tough >_>;.

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 12:18 AM
RAcasts in PSOBB would get chain-killed by the Episode 4 boss past a certain level. It was basically impossible to solo the boss as a high level RAcast. Also, I don't care about any version of the game other than BB, as it is clearly the definitive version.

Oh, well like i said, that wouldn't be classified as an imbalance. It's just an unforseen downside. I'll get to that later.

What does this even mean?....It means exactly what i typed. Take those reasons and DEDUCT (verb, to come to a conclusion based on some kind of reasoning) how they became problems. Since you don't understand, i'll try to do it for you.

Which ones are overpowered, which ones are underpowered? Under what reasoning would you call them overpowered? An Instant-kill attack with a high success rate? Charge ability that takes Meseta to deal high damage? Do you believe those rates scaled the way they did on purpose? Normal - Vhard mode dont cover nearly as many levels as Ultimate mode -> Endgame -- you reach Ultimate mode at level 90-110, and then continue onwards to 200. Thats a minimum of 90 levels to attone for, whereas the others only had a maximum of 40. Perhaps that had something to do with it? And while you're bringing this up, i thought we were talking about CHARACTER imbalances, why are you bringing up weapon specials?...oh, unless it has something to do with it too? Ho ho ho.

Also extremely vague. Which were redundant? WHY were they redundant? What made them that way, their design, their animations, their stats? Or was it OTHER classes that caused them to be this way?

Once again, i dont remember attack techniques being called "weak" anywhere outside of Ultimate Mode. Why were they weak, was it due to an inadequate damage formula, or due to enemy resistances prorating the damage too badly with no way to make up for the loss?

And LOL @ damage cancel, ill just straight-up tell you that it wasn't intentional and probably couldn't have been avoided even if they wanted to at that time.

This....isn't an imbalance, it's a feature of the game. If you have a huge stack of materials and a high-leveled mag, it's almost guaranteed that you have a high-leveled character on the server. Of course a lv 10 with a level 200 mag is going to outperform a character within their level range. It was allowed because nobody who's already spent so long playing the game wants to have to go through all the BS everytime they want to try a new class.

Blah blah blah, you get the point now. Well, if you don't, then you should.

No, it doesn't prove jack shit.
Woah, hahaha, why u so serious bro?

Anyway, if you can reply with whatever logic or knowledge you have of all the problems with this game, and almost no matter what you say, i can ask you to state an underlying reason and you'd be able to reply with one. We would be doing this for pages and pages. If the purpose for me asking these questions eludes you, then...well, i guess you should just drop it, then. you seem to be getting hostile though, so we can stop now. No need to start another stupid argument so people can try and prove how "design savvy" they are by stating obvious observations.

I just wanted everyone bawwwing about it to know that you probably couldn't do any better if you were given the chance to fix these issues. Hindsight is 20/20.

•Col•
Aug 23, 2011, 12:20 AM
Can OP be updated with some videos? Going through 54 pages is kind of tough >_>;.

But then they're too easy to find and get taken down.

User CP>Edit Options>Thread Display Options >Number of Posts to Show Per Page>Show 50 Posts Per Page

Then there's only 11 pages. Scroll quickly to find youtube videos. CTRL+F 'http' to find links.

Arkios
Aug 23, 2011, 12:21 AM
On-topic: Does anyone know of any streams that will be up when the Alpha starts tonight (PST)?

You're still going on about this? I still don't see the problem with this.

I don't see the problem either. It takes forever to stockpile that many materials and it's retarded to make a person grind through the early levels again because they want to create another character.

(Many MMOs even provide items to make leveling alternate characters faster. {See WoW w/ Heirloom items})

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 23, 2011, 12:26 AM
Jesus H. Christ, I'm not going to waste my time writing a dissertation on why PSO was a terribly balanced game. It was obvious to anyone who played it that there were serious issues with the game balance, and if you think otherwise, then your view on balance is so radically different from mine that this entire discussion is completely pointless.

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 12:29 AM
I guess he missed the point where i didn't even oppose what he stated, and just asked him to elaborate.

facepalm.jpg

And no, it was not "completely obvious to anyone who played it." Thats another thing. Haha, see what happens when you base everything you say around maximums and minimums?

•Col•
Aug 23, 2011, 12:31 AM
I thought PSO was balanced fairly well..... Then again, the highest level I've ever gotten a character to was 130... >.>

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 12:32 AM
My point exactly. Why can't people just state their opinions without going overboard and bashing everything? Why does this forum have to sound like a console war forum all the time?

Summa u guys need to learn to just chiiilllllllll

Edit: my max character was 115 humar on GCN. 154 on BB. It was a ramarl. I dont remember bitching this hard about nearly any of this stuff when i was playing....

Randomness
Aug 23, 2011, 12:40 AM
Wait, did someone say Twins was a source of imbalance? Whoever said that should be completely discounted, they seem to think balance is Battletoads difficulty no matter what you do.

Dongra
Aug 23, 2011, 12:40 AM
Edit: my max character was 115 humar on GCN. 154 on BB. It was a ramarl. I dont remember bitching this hard about nearly any of this stuff when i was playing....
This was the kind of shit I dealt with during the time I played which was pretty much the past two or three years. Kind of stuck with the elite players now which is not at all that fun despite the fact they play the game well.

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 23, 2011, 12:44 AM
Pretty much everyone I knew on BB realized that the game was hilariously broken, but played it anyway because they enjoyed it.

You missed my point that elaboration shouldn't be necessary.

Your entire argument is that my opinion is skewed because I had a level 200 FOmar I guess? Sorry, but you can't state that a game is properly balanced while also acknowledging that the endgame (where players would spend the majority of their play time) is broken.

Randomness
Aug 23, 2011, 12:47 AM
Pretty much everyone I knew on BB realized that the game was hilariously broken, but played it anyway because they enjoyed it.

Your entire argument is that my opinion is skewed because I had a level 200 FOmar I guess? Sorry, but you can't state that a game is properly balanced while also acknowledging that the endgame (where players would spend the majority of their play time) is broken.

Present your argument in logically valid form. Be prepared to support all premises.

If you can't do that, your argument is not worthy of anyone's attention.

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 23, 2011, 12:49 AM
Sorry, but asking someone to present tons of specific evidence to defend the claim that PSO was not balanced well is much akin to asking the same of someone claiming the Earth to be round.

Arkios
Aug 23, 2011, 12:53 AM
Present your argument in logically valid form. Be prepared to support all premises.

So you're saying the game was balanced? Present your argument in logically valid form. Be prepared to support all premises.

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 01:10 AM

I guess he missed the point where i didn't even oppose what he stated, and just asked him to elaborate.

Haha, oh BOY do you even know what you're talking about anymore?

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 23, 2011, 01:20 AM
Maybe.

shadowspike3
Aug 23, 2011, 01:20 AM
the whole balance/unbalance thing is a matter of opinion. that being said, public opinion is that its grossly unbalanced. Ive been playing PSOBB since it came out and im still playing it now so i can attest to not only me thinking its unbalanced but also any experienced player i know having the same feelings. if you think its balanced you are either:

1. out of the loop
2. playing devil's advocate
3. fantasizing
4. unclear of the definition of balanced

•Col•
Aug 23, 2011, 01:32 AM
I don't understand how even the end game is grossly imbalanced though.

Didn't like every class have access to at least one WTF weapon that was able to clear a room in a matter of seconds?

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 01:37 AM
I take it nobody knows any links then that might work for a live stream that was up on the 19th?

kyuuketsuki
Aug 23, 2011, 01:37 AM
the whole balance/unbalance thing is a matter of opinion. [...] if you think its balanced you are either:

1. out of the loop
3. fantasizing
... Er, contradiction?

Myself, I think it's clearly imbalanced. However, I would argue that the concept of "balance", as it is generally used in MMOs, isn't appropriate to PSO. PSO is more of an online action RPG in the vein of Diablo than an MMO, except lacking even Diablo's rudimentary PvP (not to imply that I think PSO should have such a thing... I'll be very glad for PSO to remain a strictly PvE affair, thankyouverymuch). Having every race/class combo strictly balanced isn't necessary. However, balance is still needed to a degree because no one wants to play a class that can't contribute meaningfully and/or just plays at a plodding pace compared to others (except for masochists, of course).

*snip*
I wasn't talking about simply balancing an AoE attack vs. a single-target attack.

I was referring to balancing classes/races/whatever with different stats, different animations, different bonuses/weaknesses, different usable sets of equipment, etc. and so on, so that they're just about perfectly balanced in "power" relative to one another. I don't think it's a coincidence or a result of universal ineptitude that every game that tries to achieve this eventually moves toward homogenizing classes/races/whatever (makes differences merely superficial). On the other hand, I'm not saying it's not a goal worth achieving or that there isn't a possible solution while preserving real variety. I do think it's unlikely to happen since it'd require an extremely complex solution to balance all the variables and would thus simply require too much time and money for any developer to ever pursue to fruition.

Or, maybe we're all overthinking and overemphasizing this issue. PSO was still fun as hell, imperfect as it was. I assume everyone can agree on that (otherwise I dunno what you're doing hanging around a PSO forum watching the progress of its sequel).

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 01:45 AM
man can we just get some alpha links up in dis joint

shadowspike3
Aug 23, 2011, 01:51 AM
... Er, contradiction?

Myself, I think it's clearly imbalanced. However, I would argue that the concept of "balance", as it is generally used in MMOs, isn't appropriate to PSO. PSO is more of an online action RPG in the vein of Diablo than an MMO, except lacking even Diablo's rudimentary PvP (not to imply that I think PSO should have such a thing... I'll be very glad for PSO to remain a strictly PvE affair, thankyouverymuch). Having every race/class combo strictly balanced isn't necessary (though preventing large imbalances like between HU/RAcasts and everyone else like in PSO should be a goal).

what i had stated before were obviously opinions. maybe not obvious to all but im willing to take that risk. also, it sounds like your trying to say that mmo and online action rpg cant be both in the same game. ya'know like PSO. plus, PSO's FO RA HU classes mirror every other mmorpg's hunter archer mage classes, so why cant they be balanced the same?

gelasius1
Aug 23, 2011, 01:54 AM
lol you guys have gotten so off topic, does balancing even matter in this type of game just pick your favorite character and have fun. you guys are looking tooooooooo far into this. This isn't really a competitive game imo

kyuuketsuki
Aug 23, 2011, 01:58 AM
it sounds like your trying to say that mmo and online action rpg cant be both in the same game. ya'know like PSO. plus, PSO's FO RA HU classes mirror every other mmorpg's hunter archer mage classes, so why cant they be balanced the same?
I don't think PSO really fits into the MMO genre, as I've always considered that to be games with a persistent world (not entirely instanced, like PSO) and large parties (rather than PSO's four-person parties), amongst other things. But, y'know, that's just like, my opinion man.

I guess I should clarify that when I say "MMO", I'm really referring to the sort of EQ-/WoW-model of MMO, with designated healer/dps/tanking/support characters and all that other jazz that comes with those sorts of games. PSO clearly does not fit into that mold. Like I said, it's more akin to Diablo and that sort of online ARPG than anything else I can think of.

lol you guys have gotten so off topic, does balancing even matter in this type of game just pick your favorite character and have fun. you guys are looking tooooooooo far into this. This isn't really a competitive game imo
This is true, and has been brought up before. But balance does not cease to have importance simply because the game isn't overtly competitive (lacking PvP).

ShinMaruku
Aug 23, 2011, 02:09 AM
Hopefully they acutally use the beta to get some good data to make a good game. I think somethings from both pso and PSP2 could really help. The chaining giving a good multiplier should be retained. Techs could use some work since they have had issues in ra techs in psu. Only in PSP2i did the ratechs finally get some umph and that is only after some good chaining. Enemy resistances should be carefully monitored because when things are too high it's crap shoot.
Also elemental weaknesses should be really emphasized making you have tactical though on how to attempt an attack. This should be more of an effect for forces more than melee to keep some of those insane weapons from popping up too much.

Lolitron
Aug 23, 2011, 02:14 AM
But then they're too easy to find and get taken down.

User CP>Edit Options>Thread Display Options >Number of Posts to Show Per Page>Show 50 Posts Per Page

Then there's only 11 pages. Scroll quickly to find youtube videos. CTRL+F 'http' to find links.

Thanks.

Zaix
Aug 23, 2011, 02:16 AM
If anyone happens to find a streamer, feel free to post that instead of arguing about PSO's imbalance. thanks

kyuuketsuki
Aug 23, 2011, 02:22 AM
If anyone happens to find a streamer, feel free to post that instead of arguing about PSO's imbalance. thanks
:rolleyes:

ShadowDragon28
Aug 23, 2011, 02:26 AM
From all the video clips I've seen. My impression so far:

I LOVE the PSO style music and the PSO sound effects, and the monster design looks excellent so far. Heck, even the classic monster death roar is in there. This Forest stage looks great and thankfully doesn't have overly large wide open, empty fields.

Dongra
Aug 23, 2011, 02:58 AM
Haha, oh BOY do you even know what you're talking about anymore?
I'm convinced that nobody on this site does.

RikkiBlackNanobeast
Aug 23, 2011, 03:10 AM
I hope I catch some good streams this time. And I think I've started to not care about the talk about PSO's balancing/unbalancing because I'm skimming through them now.

I second the choice in getting some Alpha vids here again. XD

AfroGuy!
Aug 23, 2011, 03:18 AM
well this is the Alpha video thread so it would only make sense to put them here again

Spellbinder
Aug 23, 2011, 03:30 AM
well this is the Alpha video thread so it would only make sense to put them here again

I dunno, they seem to enjoy their PSO balance conversation, we might have to put the videos somewhere else to make room. :P

GCoffee
Aug 23, 2011, 06:47 AM
The PSO2 peaceful Forest and battle Forest BGMs seem very similiar to Desolate Scapes and Desolate Wilds from PSZ respectively.

Vashyron
Aug 23, 2011, 07:25 AM
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv61250488

Live right now and you need a Nico account.

adam-james
Aug 23, 2011, 07:27 AM
Please screen record some action!

Vashyron
Aug 23, 2011, 07:30 AM
It's gone already. :/

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 07:30 AM
man what a fail night of info. I knew i shoulda stayed up.

NoiseHERO
Aug 23, 2011, 07:58 AM
I'm convinced that nobody on this site does.

Hay everyone...

Past PSO games are officially off-topic now, nobody cares about your aged elitism knowledge, find vids or gtfo.

Noel Vermillion
Aug 23, 2011, 08:55 AM
I'd rather watch vids than streams! So I don't have to stay up c:

could some kind person record them? <3

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 09:11 AM
Is this new or old? Some force gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap2d_B8XTss

Noel Vermillion
Aug 23, 2011, 09:17 AM

I haven't seen this before! I think it's new.

Downloading before it gets taken down -__-

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 09:24 AM
Charged foie is mouth watering..... Did you all see that 171 pop up?

Vashyron
Aug 23, 2011, 09:26 AM
Nice, can slowly walk while charging too.

Huh, charged Resta seemed to be the AOE type? This is just by looking at the particles though. ('Course it could be just because the Resta is low level and charging it increases the AOE.)

Edit: Ok, after actually watching the whole thing, Charged Resta leaves behind a AOE healing circle for a while.

And it seems like burning enemies can pass on the fire status effect to others.

Masterflower
Aug 23, 2011, 09:36 AM
I knew that lil teleport was a dodge. Only teleports in this game are to go back to whatever ship we're on and a quick teleport back to the base. People hyping up say forces can teleport and stuff lol.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 09:37 AM
Charged resta is that it does continues regen in it's casting area, the resta cloud sticks around for more than 1 heal. Seems to be area heal uncharged.

Vashyron
Aug 23, 2011, 09:42 AM
Yeah I saw that now, should leave commenting until I actually watch the whole thing. :wacko:

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 09:44 AM
Now that I've seen a GOOD player using force I can't wait to try it. Charged techs is massively higher damage than any other class so far.

Noel Vermillion
Aug 23, 2011, 10:04 AM
I knew that lil teleport was a dodge. Only teleports in this game are to go back to whatever ship we're on and a quick teleport back to the base. People hyping up say forces can teleport and stuff lol.

That's what I thought :D

isn't it called "blinking" if its a short distance travelled?

Mizunos
Aug 23, 2011, 10:15 AM
Shame he didn't use Barta when the disk dropped

TierrenZX
Aug 23, 2011, 10:32 AM
I noticed in that video that during that attack event mission. When one of those enemies recieved burn status, the enemies who got close to the enemy ended up recieving burned status as well. I wonder if a similar thing will happen to players?

Lyric
Aug 23, 2011, 10:36 AM
Heh, Forces can Flash-step. I like.

moorebounce
Aug 23, 2011, 10:41 AM
the whole balance/unbalance thing is a matter of opinion. that being said, public opinion is that its grossly unbalanced. Ive been playing PSOBB since it came out and im still playing it now so i can attest to not only me thinking its unbalanced but also any experienced player i know having the same feelings. if you think its balanced you are either:

1. out of the loop
3. fantasizing

You are right. According to your opinion the game is unbalanced. It's Sega's game and according to them the game plays like they wanted or attended to play like. Sega says it's balanced so it's balanced. Races and Classes have the stats they do because thats what Sega wanted them to be. So according to Sega it's balanced. I still play Blue Burst too and I love it.

Blueblur
Aug 23, 2011, 10:51 AM

Someone please save it before it gets taken down. I would but I'm stuck at work. :(

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 10:53 AM
Seems charged foie ALWAYS lands burn as well.

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 11:14 AM
It doesnt.

Im dying to see Zonde and Barta. And im curious how they'll do different technique levels on here too.

Ill cry if it goes back to "every 11 levels" like on PSU.

Also, i love how powerful the charged version is, but its kind of odd how weak the standalone version is.

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 23, 2011, 11:15 AM
Errr, no? There were quite a few times charged Foie was used and did not burn the enemy.

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 11:17 AM
I find it kind of odd....the music loop seems to have changed. Did they remove the PSO2 trailer theme from the battle track?

I sure hope not. That was badass.

Or maybe, the battle music layers depending on the intensity of the battle? Man im loving pretty much everything about this game.

WiZ1988
Aug 23, 2011, 11:25 AM
Wow. Forces are looking pretty sweet. Nicee

kyuuketsuki
Aug 23, 2011, 11:26 AM
Also, i love how powerful the charged version is, but its kind of odd how weak the standalone version is.
This is what stuck out at me. She could do just as much damage with a single hit of her cane (wand? rod?) as with an uncharged foie.

Also, that force was moving at a much slower pace than the hunters/rangers we've seen so far. Maybe it's better once you have more than just foie to work with...

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 11:28 AM
Gotta remember it's a level 1 foie as well.

Vashyron
Aug 23, 2011, 11:32 AM
And got to remember that monsters there are weak to fire. (Indicated by the icon in the lower right.)

Possible the Charged attack also ups the elemental multiplier along with TP.

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 11:36 AM
i just want my endgame force to be able to run around barehanded and nuke shit up like in PSO

its a lv1 foie, but its still odd how her technique is damn near weaker than her melee. But yeah, these are basically level1 things, so....

Neith
Aug 23, 2011, 11:42 AM
FO gameplay just didn't click with me at all. Hopefully HU/RA interest me more- I do however realise that a) this is still alpha and b) very low level and limited in terms of gear/techs so I'll just keep looking for more videos.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 11:48 AM
I still can't believe how much more power a charge gives, had decent speed also. Kinda surprised there's only 1 video so far today.

Noel Vermillion
Aug 23, 2011, 11:51 AM
its a lv1 foie, but its still odd how her technique is damn near weaker than her melee. But yeah, these are basically level1 things, so....

Hmmm :(

Vashyron
Aug 23, 2011, 12:12 PM
http://www.dotup.org/uploda/www.dotup.org1940217.avi

Found this. It shows a Hunter charging up a Melee attack.

Spellbinder
Aug 23, 2011, 12:20 PM
I wonder what factors are going to influence increase in PP. She leveled twice in the Force video and it stayed 100 the whole time. I don't think it'd make sense for it to be based on weapons or it's going to totally gimp bare handed casting, unless they don't want us doing that in this game.

TierrenZX
Aug 23, 2011, 12:23 PM
I wonder what factors are going to influence increase in PP. She leveled twice in the Force video and it stayed 100 the whole time. I don't think it'd make sense for it to be based on weapons or it's going to totally gimp bare handed casting, unless they don't want us doing that in this game.

I think there are abilities in a force's skill tree that allow for increased PP

Aumi
Aug 23, 2011, 12:25 PM

That looks awesome. Reminds me of a Devil May Cry combo. I'd like to see such a badass combo with the saber and gun.

condiments
Aug 23, 2011, 12:26 PM

WOAH. O.O That combo was seriously awesome. Damn, all three playstyles look great in this game.

Hrith
Aug 23, 2011, 12:39 PM
That was meh.
It seems way harder to hit stuff with forces than with other classes, not to mention that despite the consistent 100+ damage on charged Foie, she took much longer to kill spawns. The aiming is awkward and charging, even if you can still move (thank God) leaves you very vulnerable.
Definitely a very bad solo class, so far.

Will be better in a team, I'm sure.
I can see charged Ra and Gi spells from a distance while the other players are keeping the critters busy as really good, especially if it adds nice status effects.

That charged Resta is awesome, though. At high levels, I can imagine forces creating a huge Resta pool for anyone to bathe, a brilliant idea (which reminds me of Guardian Heroes, lol).

Burn deals awfully low damage, it may as well do something else >_>

Flame
Aug 23, 2011, 12:39 PM
man that force gameplay was great. Looks like forces have the most strategy involved in terms of enemy placement and precision. That's the benchmark for how far in advance all three classes should have to plan. See how tactics come into play the second a character has to stop moving to attack? It's great. Much better than spazzy rolling hunters and untouchable rangers.

Flame
Aug 23, 2011, 12:40 PM
and charging, even if you can still move (thank God) leaves you very vulnerable.

This is how a game works. Its all about costs vs benefits.

Hrith
Aug 23, 2011, 12:53 PM
Then they should give something similar to hunters and rangers, because so far, forces are harder to play for lower performances.

I have not seen hunters and rangers get hit much, if at all, and they kill faster.

I agree that forces should deal less damage and be harder to use; it also probably means that they will only perform well in teams, because my comment only concerns playing solo, obviously.

Arkios
Aug 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
That was meh.
It seems way harder to hit stuff with forces than with other classes, not to mention that despite the consistent 100+ damage on charged Foie, she took much longer to kill spawns. The aiming is awkward and charging, even if you can still move (thank God) leaves you very vulnerable.

I can see charged Ra and Gi spells from a distance while the other players are keeping the critters busy as really good, especially if it adds nice status effects.

That charged Resta is awesome, though. At high levels, I can imagine forces creating a huge Resta pool for anyone to bathe, a brilliant idea (which reminds me of Guardian Heroes, lol).

Considering the fact that nobody knows how the spells will scale, I think you're jumping to some mighty large conclusions. Forces took forever to solo initially in PSO as well.

It would be stupid if you could just walk around and press FIREBALL and stuff died in two seconds.

kyuuketsuki
Aug 23, 2011, 01:01 PM
It would be stupid if you could just walk around and press FIREBALL and stuff died in two seconds.Except that seems to be exactly how it is for Hunters/Rangers currently, just substitute slash/dodge or shoot/dodge for fireball.

Granted, it's low level, it's alpha, and I don't think I saw that Force using the TPS-style aiming which I think would make it easier to hit the enemies with an aimed tech like foie.

Arkios
Aug 23, 2011, 01:09 PM
Except that seems to be exactly how it is for Hunters/Rangers currently, just substitute slash/dodge or shoot/dodge for fireball.

Granted, it's low level, it's alpha, and I don't think I saw that Force using the TPS-style aiming which I think would make it easier to hit the enemies with an aimed tech like foie.

It all depends on the scaling. It's also Alpha, like you mentioned. I'm sure the numbers will be fine tuned during the Beta period.

The videos that I watched earlier showed Rangers taking quite a while to kill things as well.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 01:19 PM
That was meh.

As far as aiming goes you can use TPS mode for forces. Kind of irritated me that she didn't use it for foie.

yoshiblue
Aug 23, 2011, 01:24 PM
I saw the use of TPS or FPS like iron sights or adding ghost ring sights. Its all on preferences.

Zyrusticae
Aug 23, 2011, 01:38 PM
Man, I dnno what you guys are talking about. That Force gameplay looked quite competent to me.

Yeah, uncharged foie is rather unimpressive (38 damage with a slow animation vs. 22 damage with a quick combo), but remember that it is safe damage where whacking things with a rod puts you precisely where you don't want to be as a Force. But it's pretty obvious their real strength comes from their burst damage and their support abilities. Charged resta in particular looks like a major boon, assuming mates are limited in PSO2 relative to the previous games. For that matter, even if you DO have infinite mates, you have to deal with the rather slow animation that makes you stand very, very still when you use them.

And of course, we neither know how they will scale nor how Sega will change them over the course of development. But even right now, it looks pretty good to me.

•Col•
Aug 23, 2011, 01:43 PM
i just want my endgame force to be able to run around barehanded and nuke shit up like in PSO

Can't charge without a weapon.

Im dying to see Zonde and Barta. And im curious how they'll do different technique levels on here too.

Zonde:
[spoiler-box]http://pso2.jp/gallery/screenshot/image/element/20110726/ss_18_l.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Possibly a charged Zonde:
[spoiler-box]http://pso2.jp/gallery/screenshot/image/element/20110801/ss_15_l.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Barta at 0:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKuoBG03q4o&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKuoBG03q4o&feature=related

Hrith
Aug 23, 2011, 01:53 PM
As far as aiming goes you can use TPS mode for forces. Kind of irritated me that she didn't use it for foie.Well, that changes things a little bit, I did not think it would be possible seeing as there is no reticle in the video.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 02:02 PM
Well, that changes things a little bit, I did not think it would be possible seeing as there is no reticle in the video.

In the media briefing videos you can see the forces using the TPS mode while shooting foie and IMO that'd work better than what the video showed.

Hrith
Aug 23, 2011, 02:10 PM
So now the question is: can all technics be used in third person mode? :P

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 02:12 PM
Can't charge without a weapon.

Zonde:
[spoiler-box]http://pso2.jp/gallery/screenshot/image/element/20110726/ss_18_l.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Possibly a charged Zonde:
[spoiler-box]http://pso2.jp/gallery/screenshot/image/element/20110801/ss_15_l.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Barta at 0:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKuoBG03q4o&feature=related

i saw those ages ago. I want to see them in motion.

The screenshots didn't do Foie justice at all. The particle effect for the flames is actually really cool looking.

And somehow i doubt that's a charged Zonde....1) its too huge for lv1 lol, and 2).....46 damage?

kyuuketsuki
Aug 23, 2011, 02:15 PM
So now the question is: can all technics be used in third person mode? :P
I wouldn't think that something like Razonde, which appears to be an AoE effect around the caster, would use TPS for obvious reasons. Otherwise, any tech that requires aiming should have the option of using TPS.

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 02:17 PM
Yeah, a good question is if remote-targeting spells will use TPS.

Personally, i think it can just be kept up to the auto-targeting, but TPS should try to make it land where you aim it.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 02:24 PM
You can use TPS targeting for EVERYTHING even melee attacks.

LionHeart-
Aug 23, 2011, 03:21 PM

Can't seem to watch it. It loads up but crashes like 5 seconds afterwards :(!

Hrith
Aug 23, 2011, 03:26 PM
Works there, download VLC.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 03:27 PM
Can't seem to watch it. It loads up but crashes like 5 seconds afterwards :(!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5szq_lG64E

Seems there's only 1 video and that short clip today... Guess everyone is scared of getting banned until the final day.

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 03:28 PM
holy fuck that is BADASS

LionHeart-
Aug 23, 2011, 03:32 PM
Works there, download VLC.

I got VLC but when I click on the link it opens up a page using Windows Media Player and then it fails lol!

Seems there's only 1 video and that short clip today... Guess everyone is scared of getting banned until the final day.

Awesome cheers dude! Looks good actually, its what I thought PSU would of been like, touch of DMC and that. Should be interesting what new Melee PA's we will be seeing.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 03:34 PM
Entire game seems like a mash-up of PSO, PSZ, and PSP2i. Desperately trying to find more footage but I'm having no luck.

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 03:34 PM
BTW, that's only that one PA. I remember reading that one of the sword PAs could be "charged" (datamine) , but i didnt know they ment literaly like a force attack.

That is really awesome, man. I remember seeing that sword stance before in the conference videos. I had no clue it was an attack being charged.

Malevolent215
Aug 23, 2011, 03:37 PM
So this is officially the 2nd video game clip that has made me geek out in the past 2 weeks.... First was the BF3 multiplayer video with the jets, and now this amazing charged combo....

RikkiBlackNanobeast
Aug 23, 2011, 03:52 PM

....I'm going to be both a Hunter and a Ranger in PSO2 now even moreso. :D

Spellbinder
Aug 23, 2011, 03:59 PM
I think there are abilities in a force's skill tree that allow for increased PP

That's true, but by how much? In the previous PSO even a FOmarl could easily get over 1000 TP before the end of the game. If Forces are stuck with 100 PP to run on the entire game outside of that skill tree, it doesn't seem like they can use techs very freely and will have to do a lot more smacking with their rods which is something I wouldn't be looking forward to. This is only alpha, but it has me a bit worried.

GCoffee
Aug 23, 2011, 04:06 PM
I hope you guys realized that techer was lvl 1. Did quite fine for that.

@Spellbinder: You should not worry for the lone reason of PP regen being super fast this time around. The whole bar will be filled up before you even finished chargign your spell. So it is quite the contrarary, forces won't ever have troubles. I believe the same applies for Rangers aswell, Hunters I am not so sure. Same as in PSP2i, basically.

Spellbinder
Aug 23, 2011, 04:19 PM
I hope you guys realized that techer was lvl 1. Did quite fine for that.

@Spellbinder: You should not worry for the lone reason of PP regen being super fast this time around. The whole bar will be filled up before you even finished chargign your spell. So it is quite the contrarary, forces won't ever have troubles. I believe the same applies for Rangers aswell, Hunters I am not so sure. Same as in PSP2i, basically.

Actually, unless I'm looking at it wrong because its a little blurry, PP stops regenerating while she charged techs, so no it won't be refilled by the time you're done charging spells. When PP is out it looks like either waiting or hitting them with the rod for faster regeneration.

Edit: Having said that, we still have to see how the PP part of the skill trees come into play.

SELENNA
Aug 23, 2011, 04:22 PM
Just buy more monofluids

Spellbinder
Aug 23, 2011, 04:32 PM
With only 100 PP it'd probably save time to just beat monsters with a stick. :P But I'd probably buy fluids... because I don't want to beat monsters with my stick.

Ezodagrom
Aug 23, 2011, 04:34 PM
What if there are no monofluids?

Pillan
Aug 23, 2011, 04:39 PM
I doubt there are any fluids, as they have not been shown and are not used in the PSP2-styled PP regeneration strategy.

On the bright side, smacking things with a rod clearly restores PP and rods can hit multiple enemies, thus restoring it even faster.

Spellbinder
Aug 23, 2011, 04:43 PM
I feel it a bit odd though if such a fragile class will be forced to go on the front lines for PP. I'm still hoping for a more "mage" type role in the back row with the rangers.

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 23, 2011, 04:48 PM
Come on, people. It is a level 1 force using only one piece of equipment and only one level 1 tech in an alpha version of the game.

Let's wait and see before panicking that forces will have to use melee.

Personally, I don't mind, as I'm hoping to play a force that only uses techs for support (and very specific situations), as I've always found melee more fun anyway.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 04:49 PM
You guys are forgetting the PP system mimics PSP2(i) which means the higher level the tech the LESS PP it costs.

Spellbinder
Aug 23, 2011, 04:51 PM
You guys are forgetting the PP system mimics PSP2(i) which means the higher level the tech the LESS PP it costs.

I never played on PSP (I don't own one). That's interesting to know. :)

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 05:02 PM
PP cost should increase with technique level.

The PP bar definitely shouldn't be stuck at 100. That's just going to make everything harder for them to balance in the long run....

I wouldnt worry about it though, the force was level 1 using level 1 techniques and a level 1 cane. We haven't seen a force at the strength of that guy in that charged PA video, who looked like he was using a Gigush. level 2/blue sword.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 05:04 PM
There's also the fact that the force skill try has increase max PP and increase PP regeneration. I dunno about you but I'm gonna fill those up asap.

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 05:05 PM
Oh my god that person in the video was a Hunewearl too?

god dammit japan. Seriously.

Also, nobody seems to be commenting on the fact that the hunewearl in that Charged sword PA video is wearing visual units on her model. I think they look pretty damn awesome.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 05:08 PM
Us newmans are going to take over the world!

Zaix
Aug 23, 2011, 05:17 PM

While I do agree that its a tad overused, you gotta remember the alpha is lacking the HUmarl, HUnewm, RAnewm, RAnewearl, FOcast, FOcaseal, FOnewm, and FOnewearl outfits. I guess the HUnewearl outfit is the best for both humans and newmans currently.

NoiseHERO
Aug 23, 2011, 05:22 PM

Wow that was effin' beautiful... Cloud Strife eat your heart out.

Hopefully this is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of mixing and matching PA's.

AfroGuy!
Aug 23, 2011, 05:30 PM
While I do agree that its a tad overused, you gotta remember the alpha is lacking the HUmarl, HUnewm, RAnewm, RAnewearl, FOcast, FOcaseal, FOnewm, and FOnewearl outfits. I guess the HUnewearl outfit is the best for both humans and newmans currently.

the RAnewm one is in. it was in the first trailer

kyuuketsuki
Aug 23, 2011, 05:44 PM

Dude, chill out. We've seen that the selection of outfits in the alpha is extremely limited. There's like, two to choose from. So yeah, we're going to see a lot of the same outfit in alpha videos. I think even the human female hunter outfit is the same (in the alpha)?

That said, I'm surprised we haven't seen at least one HUcaseal in the vids. Is there any info if the non-FO casts can use techniques?

Zaix
Aug 23, 2011, 05:47 PM
the RAnewm one is in. it was in the first trailer
If you look at 1:33 of the video with the short, slightly fat, HUmarl dressed in a white FOmarl robe, you can briefly see the back of the "RAnewm". It's just a brownish yellowish RAmar.

(http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MQ9V51TS if you dont have it yet)

AfroGuy!
Aug 23, 2011, 05:56 PM
at 1:39 its the guy named knuckles. that is RAnewm

Zaix
Aug 23, 2011, 06:24 PM
Indeed he is. The point remains that there is no RAnewm in the actual alpha test though.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 07:22 PM
I REALLY want to play force first for once, but damn HU and RA look like more fun at the moment. Especially after seeing the charged PA. Problem is in every phantasy star I see how high level techs look and wish I played that class first.

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 07:41 PM
I REALLY want to play force first for once, but damn HU and RA look like more fun at the moment. Especially after seeing the charged PA. Problem is in every phantasy star I see how high level techs look and wish I played that class first.
Well, to be fair, we've seen extensive use of hunter and ranger weapons. The most we've seen of force gameplay is a charged foie and some unarmed combat.

Randomness
Aug 23, 2011, 07:43 PM

I wonder if SEGA will give us something on par with unnerfed Dambarta this time around... heheheh... God that was insane.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 07:44 PM
I'd also like to point this out, for people saying HU kills the drastically faster, the dash spam vid is 10minutes STARTING at level6. The force one is under 10 minutes starting at level 1.

Zaix
Aug 23, 2011, 08:21 PM
Hopefully after friday and saturday's 31 hour alpha testing we'll get at least a few hours worth of video. If one of us was actually able to get in, I suppose we'd have a rather direct source of video.

*crosses fingers in hopes that I can get in by some miracle*

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 08:29 PM
I'm hoping we start seeing teamplay with the new mission releasing

Zaix
Aug 23, 2011, 08:32 PM
I agree, team play would be awesome to see. So far there's been one video with a duo.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 08:34 PM
Sigh.... Force video probable gonna go down soon. Someone on the official Facebook page posted it's available on another website which has the YouTube link.

•Col•
Aug 23, 2011, 08:37 PM
Craaaaap. Anyone have a video of the Force gameplay charging Foie/Resta?

Didn't watch it when I got the chance because a friend wanted to watch it with me. Now it's down.

Zaix
Aug 23, 2011, 08:38 PM
Gotta love those people that think they should post restricted material right on the owner's webpage.

Didn't watch it when I got the chance because a friend wanted to watch it with me. Now it's down.

I save every video I can find, luckily I already nabbed it.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 08:38 PM

If you have an iPhone/iPod touch search for PSO2 あるふぁ the iPhone/iPod version is still alive... For now.

•Col•
Aug 23, 2011, 08:41 PM
If you have an iPhone/iPod touch

I don't. :(

yoshiblue
Aug 23, 2011, 08:45 PM
Same here

Bushido
Aug 23, 2011, 08:46 PM
I've got it. Let me just upload it and I'll get back to you.

•Col•
Aug 23, 2011, 08:50 PM
I've got it. Let me just upload it and I'll get back to you.

Thank you, kind sir.

Bushido
Aug 23, 2011, 08:52 PM
Thank you, kind sir.

The pleasure's all mine. It should be done in less than 10 minutes.

Hotsuma
Aug 23, 2011, 08:54 PM
I think the only way to achieve true balance is to each class have a strength and a weakness, and in order to achieve balance each class has to survive off the others strength. Kinda like the natural balance in the animal kingdom. But that's just my opinion.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 08:59 PM
With the next test being 31hours long hopefully we will see barta, Zonde, and Razonde in action.

Bushido
Aug 23, 2011, 09:01 PM
Force footage with charged Foie and charged Resta: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K008LK90

Kent
Aug 23, 2011, 09:05 PM
So, considering the vast difference in charged technique damage, the fact that PP is deducted when you start charging, and the fact that natural PP regeneration stops while charging, coupled with the fact that charges can apparently be interrupted (meaning, the PP gets wasted) by both incurring damage as well as using the teleport dodge...

It seems like they want Forces to have some situational awareness when trying to charge techniques. That is, if a Force wants to freely cast a bunch of charged techniques on enemies engaged more directly with their teammates, it'll be safest to do so away from the battle, shooting in. I can't really imagine every encounter being as friendly (or in as open of an area) as we've seen in these gameplay videos (it is just the alpha, after all), so maybe they're trying to make charging a technique for high damage more of a tactical choice, rather than the default thing people spam.

Still waiting to see any actual reports of whether or not techniques can be cast while not bound to a weapon/while not playing as a Force though.

•Col•
Aug 23, 2011, 09:09 PM
Well Forces are the long range class, so they should be pretty safe in parties.

And I'm pretty sure techs MUST be bound to a magic weapon to be used.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 09:12 PM
It's been said it can be cast from the 0-9 pallet. We however don't know if HU and RA can use techs.

From the sticky thread: Techniques may be set and cast from the sub-pallete(which implies that you may not need a magic type weapon to cast Techs)

Pillan
Aug 23, 2011, 09:16 PM
PP cost should increase with technique level.

The PP bar definitely shouldn't be stuck at 100. That's just going to make everything harder for them to balance in the long run....

Sorry, but the mathematician in me had to respond to this one. Decreasing the cost of techs at higher levels can be manipulated to have the same effect as increasing PP at higher levels. Either way, you gain the same desired effect of more spells before the bar drops to zero.

•Col•
Aug 23, 2011, 09:21 PM
It's been said it can be cast from the 0-9 pallet. We however don't know if HU and RA can use techs.

From the sticky thread: Techniques may be set and cast from the sub-pallete(which implies that you may not need a magic type weapon to cast Techs)

Yeah, implies. You think we would have seen someone cast a spell without a rod by now though.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 09:25 PM
There's almost no force footage though, and with how weak foie is without a charge there's no point in trying.

Soul Guardian
Aug 23, 2011, 09:32 PM
and with how weak foie is without a charge there's no point in trying.

Do rods still boost tech damage like in PSU? Because if that's the case and uncharged foie is that weak while using a rod, then there wouldn't be much point using it without one ( at least in the alpha )

•Col•
Aug 23, 2011, 09:37 PM
There's almost no force footage though, and with how weak foie is without a charge there's no point in trying.

Exactly. There's almost no Force footage. Almost ALL of the footage is Hunter stuff.

And I have yet to see a Hunter use a technic.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 09:40 PM
Do rods still boost tech damage like in PSU? Because if that's the case and uncharged foie is that weak while using a rod, then there wouldn't be much point using it without one ( at least in the alpha )

I'm going to assume it does, there's a stat on the rod for Physical damage(red icon) and tech damage(yellow icon)

Hentai_Kittie
Aug 23, 2011, 09:51 PM
That video was kinda horrifying.... I wonder why the only attack spell in alpha is foie. Given that a force can't even make a proper assault with foie alone at early levels with just one spell, it made that video look like a total chore. Also hoping that the charged attacks do different things at higher levels.

BioWarrior
Aug 23, 2011, 09:53 PM
That video was kinda horrifying.... I wonder why the only attack spell in alpha is foie. Given that a force can't even make a proper assault with foie alone at early levels with just one spell, it made that video look like a total chore. Also hoping that the charged attacks do different things at higher levels.

It's NOT the only spell. Barta, Zonde, and Razonde are in too, but the only videos are of rank 1 forces just starting.

Hentai_Kittie
Aug 23, 2011, 10:03 PM
That explains a lot then. I expected to only see a few force videos anyhow. But seeing only foie the whole time made me think barta/zonde wasn't even in the alpha (which i knew had to be wrong.....i just said something anyway to get someone to correct me >.>)

But now i'm curious to see the defferences between charged and uncharged techs. (example: casting speed, damage and pp usage). I'd like to know if uncharged is still completely viable to use considering that using the charged foie requires time and patience.

I only use Forces exclusivly in every PSO/PSU game i played... and right now i'm kinda worried. xp

Arkios
Aug 23, 2011, 10:04 PM
I think there really isn't much room for complaining right now, given it's a closed Alpha. My understanding was that the purpose of the Alpha was to stress test the system a bit to give them an idea of what to expect.

So we're basically just watching a demo... of an unfinished game... with locked content. I'd imagine that once we get to the open Beta portion of the testing, things will be opened up quite a bit.

I've played/watched several Alpha/Beta(s) for other games in the past and it's pretty amazing how much actually changes from the Alpha, to the Beta, to the final release.

NoiseHERO
Aug 23, 2011, 10:06 PM
I feel like we've seen way more from the videos, than we have from the alpha leaks...

though things still seem to get elaborated on nicely just by seeing real people go through missions and lobbies and killing things for the first time...

I guess it just means they're REALLY REALLY cracking down on those videos and banning people... Which we've already seen a lot of evidence of. >_>

I'm bored...

Demon-
Aug 23, 2011, 10:23 PM
I wonder if the boss they're adding will be the dragon boss.

NoiseHERO
Aug 23, 2011, 10:43 PM
They're adding that firey cave...

That's where that dragon thingie boss is...

I'm going to assume yes... @_@

SELENNA
Aug 23, 2011, 11:17 PM
I wonder if the boss they're adding will be the dragon boss.

Pretty sure that's it

kyuuketsuki
Aug 24, 2011, 12:25 AM
Yeah, implies. You think we would have seen someone cast a spell without a rod by now though.
Considering we've only seen forces just starting out using level 1 foie and that's all, I'm not surprised that we haven't seen hunters/rangers using techs at all, since they were similarly starting out (and even if they found a tech disk they may not have had the requisite stats (level?) to use it). Or it may be that those techs aren't actually available in the alpha yet, despite the fact that their disks drop, which would explain why we never see anyone using one of those disks after finding it.

I feel pretty confident that you can use uncharged techs without binding to a weapon. Info we got specifically said that we can link techs to a FO weapon in order to enable charging. Except for a bad translation, that would totally contradict the notion of having to bind a tech to a weapon to use at all.

It also wouldn't make sense to be able to bind techs to 0-9 if they can only be used while linked to a weapon, since you can only link a few techs to a weapon (right?).

Finally... that would totally negate the advantage of humans/newmans over casts (as far as RAs/HUs go), unless they're planning on doing a totally different system this time around.

Mizunos
Aug 24, 2011, 12:45 AM
I don't believe this one's been posted yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ojjys4S5nk

Zonde and barta are shown so far

Serephim
Aug 24, 2011, 12:51 AM
sexxyyyyyy

Zaix
Aug 24, 2011, 12:56 AM
So a charged zonde is just bigger and the charged barta is like PSO's barta

@Yo
Aug 24, 2011, 01:08 AM

PSO2 Fo???????? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ojjys4S5nk)

lol, so f***ing amazing

Serephim
Aug 24, 2011, 01:11 AM
Im not going to jump the gun at all, but im not entirely feeling the Fo'ness in this test so far. I wanna see some more advanced forces!

Im just going to go ahead and assume that we can't use techniques without a weapon, because i have yet to see a single character, Force or non-force, use them unbinded, or even assign them to the keys like they said we could.

But then again i'd be jumping the gun because they wouldn't have noted it otherwise i think.

Whatever, i dont want PSU forces to be stuck to weapon binding again, but i'll assume that once you get a good number of techniques at your disposal, you'll be using the number keys, and Force Gameplay will be much more diverse. But from all the footage we're getting...foie is the new Diga lol. But it's just the beginning so whatever.

•Col•
Aug 24, 2011, 01:13 AM
Considering we've only seen forces just starting out using level 1 foie and that's all, I'm not surprised that we haven't seen hunters/rangers using techs at all, since they were similarly starting out (and even if they found a tech disk they may not have had the requisite stats (level?) to use it). Or it may be that those techs aren't actually available in the alpha yet, despite the fact that their disks drop, which would explain why we never see anyone using one of those disks after finding it.

I feel pretty confident that you can use uncharged techs without binding to a weapon. Info we got specifically said that we can link techs to a FO weapon in order to enable charging. Except for a bad translation, that would totally contradict the notion of having to bind a tech to a weapon to use at all.

It also wouldn't make sense to be able to bind techs to 0-9 if they can only be used while linked to a weapon, since you can only link a few techs to a weapon (right?).

Finally... that would totally negate the advantage of humans/newmans over casts (as far as RAs/HUs go), unless they're planning on doing a totally different system this time around.

New vid Mizunos just posted a bit ago.

You can clearly see that when the player goes into her menu, she has 6 spells. Yet she doesn't have ANY of them on the hotkey list. In fact she removes one on the rod specifically to put Barta on.

I'm now almost completely positive that techs can only be used with a magic weapon. It could change from the alpha, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Serephim
Aug 24, 2011, 01:14 AM
That would make forces a terribly, ridiculously boring class to use, in light of the other two improvements. They'd be making the exact same mistake they made with PSU by completely nuking the shit out of the amazing versatility they had in PSO.

from bumped.org pso2 blog:

Fight in the style you prefer with Original Combo! You can register your weapons to the action palette. Then setup your Original Combo of photon arts and technics to your special attack button. You can even mix in your normal attacks with your original combo, creating your own personal attack style. In addition, PSO2 reintroduces the sub palette system where you can register items, skills, and technics to the number keys.Either this was a mistranslation, something the devs changed, or something he just assumed from the way it functioned in PSOBB.

Honestly, unless they didn't create unarmed casting animations, i dont see why on earth you couldn't cast them without force weapons. It just makes no sense.

I'll just note that in one video show, a ranger DID change her ammunition by using the quick-pallete, but she was the only one that i saw do that. However i highly doubt skills can be put on the list because of how they function.

Technics shouldn't fall into the same category as skills though, because they're just attacks. Not charging should be more than enough incentive to use a force weapon. But the fact that all the damage seems to be stacked on your weapon again isn't going to end well for forces anyway.

Crystal_Shard
Aug 24, 2011, 01:32 AM
Thank goodness that the new vid shows a considerably more experienced Force player. One oddity I noticed - it looks like the weapon type you use affects the dodge move you have access to, despite the character's class. When she switched to a gunslash, she's suddenly able to use the dodge spam, instead of the teleport dodge she was using with the rod.

Although I agree with Seraphim that the lack of casting from the palette is worrying, there's two other possibilities - the feature isn't ready in the alpha and the player in the video is not familiar how to adjust the sub palette yet.

•Col•
Aug 24, 2011, 01:51 AM
I'll just note that in one video show, a ranger DID change her ammunition by using the quick-pallete, but she was the only one that i saw do that. However i highly doubt skills can be put on the list because of how they function.

Pretty sure the Ranger thing actually was a skill.

Although I agree with Seraphim that the lack of casting from the palette is worrying, there's two other possibilities - the feature isn't ready in the alpha and the player in the video is not familiar how to adjust the sub palette yet.

Wishful thinking.

The sub pallete is just the 1~0 keys. The player already put several things on it, so I'm guessing he/she was familiar enough with it.

And I don't see how it could not be ready for the alpha... I mean... I just can't see it being THAT hard to program.

Crystal_Shard
Aug 24, 2011, 02:19 AM
@Colaya: It is wishful thinking, but the way I see it, just reserve judgement until you have the game in hand. The point about the player not being familiar enough with the palette is stretching it, I agree, but about it being easy/difficult to add it in:

- If it's as easy as you think it is, then adding it later will be a piece of cake
- if it's simply a feature they didn't include in yet, there's more than enough time for it to appear later

It might also be locked for the alpha for reasons unknown to us, and there are a lot of features currently locked out of the alpha at this stage - basically it's not time to panic yet. I'd reserve that honour for the Beta Testing phase. ^_^

Hentai_Kittie
Aug 24, 2011, 02:32 AM
Yeah, i was just going to say that i believe the feature is currently locked (had a post all ready). Though it's all still worrying just a tad because they sometimes don't seem like they actually do testing for forces enough (except for PSPo2i.... which was cheating because it's an expansion >.>) But seeing the tech list in the other thread and the latest force video is a huge relief. Though it looks like a force is going to have to be extremely tactical and cautious.

Serephim
Aug 24, 2011, 02:33 AM
Pretty sure the Ranger thing actually was a skill.

It wasn't. The icon activated from the subpallete.

After glancing at the datamine, if this game has that many techniques, and we're reduced to using 4 inbetween palletes of weapons...im not even going to bother myself with force this time around.

•Col•
Aug 24, 2011, 02:52 AM
It wasn't. The icon activated from the subpallete.

After glancing at the datamine, if this game has that many techniques, and we're reduced to using 4 inbetween palletes of weapons...im not even going to bother myself with force this time around.

There's 6 slots for weapons again.

And I know that the thing was activated from the sub pallete.

"In addition, PSO2 reintroduces the sub palette system where you can register items, skills, and technics to the number keys."

http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-races-and-classes/

Not to mention....

Look at the icons in the 2nd/3rd slots on the subpallete.

[spoiler-box]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7647/002eac.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Now look at some of the icons on the Hunter skill tree.

[spoiler-box]http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Class-Skill-Tree.jpg[/spoiler-box]

The special bullets were totally a Ranger skill.

Razelis
Aug 24, 2011, 03:40 AM

PSO2 Fo???????? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ojjys4S5nk)

Awww it's down already~ ( ' ^ '

Noel Vermillion
Aug 24, 2011, 05:39 AM
Awww it's down already~ ( ' ^ '

I downloaded it :]

Brianpso
Aug 24, 2011, 06:20 AM
Can you upload it somewhere man, I'm dying to see it =D

Demon-
Aug 24, 2011, 06:53 AM
Nice force video. Looks like Barta is back on the ground.

lol I must've downloaded the video just in time.

Zaix
Aug 24, 2011, 06:57 AM
Barta only goes on the ground if you charge it. As can be seen in one trailer uncharged barta is an icicle like projectile.

Here's that barta and zonde video: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H3K1QQ5A

Noel Vermillion
Aug 24, 2011, 07:11 AM
Can you upload it somewhere man, I'm dying to see it =D

I'm a girrrrrl D:

but yus I think other people have uploaded it :]

Demon-
Aug 24, 2011, 07:14 AM
Barta only goes on the ground if you charge it. As can be seen in one trailer uncharged barta is an icicle like projectile.

Yeah thats what I figured cause it was being charged.

BioWarrior
Aug 24, 2011, 07:18 AM
Am I seeing this right? Did uncharged barta do around 100 damage?

Brianpso
Aug 24, 2011, 07:30 AM
I'm a girrrrrl D:

but yus I think other people have uploaded it :]My bad XP, I was too nervous xD

Thank you for the upload Zaix

Razelis
Aug 24, 2011, 07:56 AM

Thanks a lot!

BioWarrior
Aug 24, 2011, 10:13 AM

Link is dead now :(

Hrith
Aug 24, 2011, 10:16 AM
Player sucks, quality is atrocious. I could see Zonde but not Barta. Oh well...

Zaix
Aug 24, 2011, 10:17 AM
Link is dead now :(

Works fine for me :-? Anyone else having an issue?

BioWarrior
Aug 24, 2011, 10:24 AM
Hmmm issue seems to have resolved itself on my end.

Zaix
Aug 24, 2011, 10:27 AM
Ok good.

Aumi
Aug 24, 2011, 12:00 PM
http://www.vimeo.com/28049880

I pretty good video here, as well. I quite like the saber and gun (gunslash or whatever it may be called).

Zaix
Aug 24, 2011, 12:02 PM
Cool.

Downloaded just in case.

Vashyron
Aug 24, 2011, 12:15 PM
Apparently in the PSO2 world Males and Casts have been hunted to near extinction, rarer than any rare monster even.

Seriously I'm a bit more annoyed at no Cast videos at this point, I want to see if the hovering has a speed boost or if it's just cosmetic.

WBMike
Aug 24, 2011, 12:19 PM
from bumped.org pso2 blog:

Either this was a mistranslation, something the devs changed, or something he just assumed from the way it functioned in PSOBB.

Honestly, unless they didn't create unarmed casting animations, i dont see why on earth you couldn't cast them without force weapons. It just makes no sense.

Hello, I checked your concerns with with two other people who can translate Japanese, and we all got the same thing.

http://www.upl.co/uploads/PSO21124.jpg

"Also, it is possible to register items, skills, and technics to the number keys for the sub palette and use them."

"As for the number keys for the sub palette, you should be able to put consumable items, skills, or technics on them"

I can't answer why it appears you can't register skills/technics in the alpha test but as the pre-alpha screenshot Colaya (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2675841&postcount=706) posted shows, it seems this is something they intended. Perhaps in the future it will be fully implemented or they may have changed their minds. You can read this entry at http://pso2.jp/concept/action/combo/

But if you feel it is incorrect, pass me a note and I can change it.

BioWarrior
Aug 24, 2011, 12:40 PM
That ranger video is sexy.

Fox2Tails
Aug 24, 2011, 12:45 PM
[spoiler-box]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7647/002eac.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Why the smeg is Tails HUney?

Raven5_1
Aug 24, 2011, 12:50 PM

because Tails realised she was a Woman trapped in a fox boy's body. :P

Zaix
Aug 24, 2011, 12:52 PM

I think its actually a bit of a joke. A lot of people thought tails was female for a long time.

yoshiblue
Aug 24, 2011, 01:02 PM
People still wish for that. I laughed because Tails is the party leader.

•Col•
Aug 24, 2011, 01:04 PM

When the picture was released, Forces AND Casts weren't even ready yet. They also didn't have the HUnewm/RAmar models ready yet. And since they already used HUmar and RAnewm.... >.> Left female models as the only ones left.

Vashyron
Aug 24, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hmm, maybe I'm the only one noticing this, but doesn't it seem like in videos weapon drops are dropping what can only be equipable by the class? I've seen Swords and Wired Lances dropping for hunters, rifles for rangers and rods for forces. Maybe similar drop as PSP2 in that format as well? (Where drops were influenced by your class.)

Inb4 someone proves me wrong. :wacko:

•Col•
Aug 24, 2011, 01:09 PM
Hmm, maybe I'm the only one noticing this, but doesn't it seem like in videos weapon drops are dropping what can only be equipable by the class? I've seen Swords and Wired Lances dropping for hunters, rifles for rangers and rods for forces. Maybe similar drop as PSP2 in that format as well? (Where drops were influenced by your class.)

Nah, I noticed it too.

Gunslashes have dropped for every class though. But of course, they're equipable by every class. <.<

yoshiblue
Aug 24, 2011, 01:10 PM
That or drops what you dont want based on your class. Sega! Why U no give me hunter weapons!? I had this problem in PSØ

With other classes in the party is the reason say this.

Serephim
Aug 24, 2011, 01:27 PM

ive seen wands drop for hunters. i could be wrong though.

If so...thats a real screwup. Are they trying to limit the amount of help from the community? Or the amount of fun preparation you can have for your alts?

kyuuketsuki
Aug 24, 2011, 02:12 PM
If it's true that only items equitable by the class being played drop, that would suggest all classes can use techs (without binding to a weapon) since I've seen tech disks drop for everyone.

Even if this is true, which it may be, I would guess it might just be something they're doing for the alpha. This would be a very bad thing for the actual game.

landman
Aug 24, 2011, 02:20 PM
Aren't "tech discs" also used for photon arts?

Noel Vermillion
Aug 24, 2011, 02:34 PM

That's what I thought.

BioWarrior
Aug 24, 2011, 02:37 PM
Yes they are, and on a side note that force video from around 14 hours ago glitched on YouTube when they removed it and the iOS/.mov version still loads. Flash version is still dead though.

Arkios
Aug 24, 2011, 03:20 PM
Couldn't a player just bind different technics to different weapons and then swap between weapons in order to cast a bunch of different technics?

I'm assuming this isn't the way it was meant to be played, but that could work as a workaround at least if you wanted to be able to charge a bunch of different techs.

BioWarrior
Aug 24, 2011, 03:25 PM
Yes you can, it's actually how PSU was intended to play, but PSU made it annoying cause the only way to get decent damage was linking techs of the same element to 1 weapon.

•Col•
Aug 24, 2011, 04:01 PM

Yup.

Couldn't a player just bind different technics to different weapons and then swap between weapons in order to cast a bunch of different technics?

Yeah. It's how PSU was supposed to be done as well.

But because of the annoying mechanic that BioWarrior mentioned, it was just.... stupid...

But yeah, if they get rid of that problem, I don't see what the big deal is. Charged techs can be fairly different from the noncharged version... Likewise, the aerial version of a spell also sometimes acts differently from the grounded version.... So that means a total of 4 possible 'variations' for a single spell. 3 techs per Rod... 6 Rods per character. Yeah.

Even if there weren't any variations, 18 different spells on your pallete is pretty nice.

kyuuketsuki
Aug 24, 2011, 04:08 PM
Yes, but those tech disks quite clearly had names like "Razonde" and "Barta". I feel confident those aren't photon arts, but actual techniques.

•Col•
Aug 24, 2011, 04:13 PM
Yes, but those tech disks quite clearly had names like "Razonde" and "Barta". I feel confident those aren't photon arts, but actual techniques.

So? Hunters and Rangers can learn techs. Doesn't mean they can actually cast them though.

Look at PSU.

BioWarrior
Aug 24, 2011, 04:14 PM
I also noticed why you can't separately bind and choose 3 hunter PA for 1 weapon. You can bind 3 in a row to form a combo like in that one video.

Pik
Aug 24, 2011, 04:50 PM
Stupid question.

Are techs and abilities leveled like they are in PSU, with repeated use, or are they leveled by actually finding higher levels of the disc, like they were in PSP and up (I think)?

Minto44
Aug 24, 2011, 04:56 PM
Stupid question.

Are techs and abilities leveled like they are in PSU, with repeated use, or are they leveled by actually finding higher levels of the disc, like they were in PSP and up (I think)?

A friend who is in the alpha told me that it works like in PSO. You level skills by finding or buying disks and learning the higher level disk.

Pik
Aug 24, 2011, 04:59 PM
A friend who is in the alpha told me that it works like in PSO. You level skills by finding or buying disks and learning the higher level disk.

Cool, I hope that is how it is. I would rather level PA with rare discs that with mindlessly spamming them on enemies. This will also prevent people from joining you and only spamming a low level PA to level it while you do all the actual killing.

Serephim
Aug 24, 2011, 07:25 PM
I did that all the time.

NoiseHERO
Aug 24, 2011, 07:32 PM
Cool, I hope that is how it is. I would rather level PA with rare discs that with mindlessly spamming them on enemies. This will also prevent people from joining you and only spamming a low level PA to level it while you do all the actual killing.

Erm...

This isn't PSU though, we mix and match PA's in parts.

So now, low level PA spam will just be replace by people sucking in general...

And even with finding/buying disc, people still won't get higher PA's right off the bat. At least if it's like the portable games and the shop only sells sucky leveled PAs that is...

But that, who knows.