PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else run their own businesses?

Uncle_bob
Sep 29, 2011, 10:31 PM
I do. My brother and I run a catfish farm where we hand-raise the catfish from egg to adulthood. From there we use them for any number of things such as selling them as pets or to restaurants, processing them for their meat, skin, and bones (the inside of certain varieties of catfish look like Jesus on the cross), as well as catfish milk.

It's hard work, but it's very fulfilling to work for yourself and set your own hours. I was just wondering if there are any other self-made men and women here on PSOW who want to share their family business stories and encouragement.

BIG OLAF
Sep 29, 2011, 10:43 PM
I wish I did. Stuck trying to beg for jobs at fast-food joints. I would do anything for my own business. But, you have to have a talent or something for that. Also, monetary assets are needed, too.

NoiseHERO
Sep 29, 2011, 10:56 PM
Your fancy description for the catfishes insides kind of reminded me of toriko for some reason.

I will also say that catfish taste very much good, yes?

It's cool that you run such an interesting business there, sounds fun even.

I don't really have my own business, but I do want to get to the point where I can sell my art, or at least make my art popular, SO THAT EVERYONE WILL RUE THE DAY THAT THEY SAY "WTF IS NOISEHERO" But no that's it.

I'm lucky though, my dreams don't cost a dime.

yoshiblue
Sep 30, 2011, 09:06 AM
I always wanted to start my own business. Only problem was, I didn't know what I was going to sell or offer. Just sticking with a goal to make video games and maybe computer repair to fall back on.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 30, 2011, 10:48 AM
I do. My brother and I run a catfish farm where we hand-raise the catfish from egg to adulthood. From there we use them for any number of things such as selling them as pets or to restaurants, processing them for their meat, skin, and bones (the inside of certain varieties of catfish look like Jesus on the cross), as well as catfish milk.

It's hard work, but it's very fulfilling to work for yourself and set your own hours. I was just wondering if there are any other self-made men and women here on PSOW who want to share their family business stories and encouragement.
Uncle Bob's Catfish. :wacko:

I've thought about it a few times, but I'm unsure as to what I'd even run. A computer store? Hah, if I had the knowhow sure.

Outrider
Sep 30, 2011, 12:05 PM
My hobbies are pretty much like a second job these days, but no, I haven't really made an attempt to earn money on them yet.

joefro
Sep 30, 2011, 01:10 PM
I do a bit of freelance graphic design for friends and friends of friends, but it's just for small money. I don't plan to do it once I'm done with college. I actually like to work for other people rather than for myself. I need that extra push.

Palle
Sep 30, 2011, 01:59 PM
I run I little record label out of a shoebox, just a minuscule LLC outfit I put together around 12 years ago so I could self-publish.

Read a few books about launching labels, indy distribution, legal guides. Not hard at all.

Choose a goal. Chart your course. Adjust as circumstances arise. When you reach a goal, raise the bar.

Kent
Sep 30, 2011, 02:40 PM
Practically out of necessity, due to the employment situation in my area. But hey, at least it's fun.

Keely
Oct 2, 2011, 03:28 AM
No, but I sometimes want to. I have the same problem that other people have mentioned; what to offer/sell. Back in 2008 some family and I had an appointment with the California Small Business Development Center for some help. We were thinking about doing something with food or clothing but our personal experience in those areas were limited. The adviser didn't really help us because of our lack of experience.

Rashiid
Oct 2, 2011, 07:17 AM
I do a bit of freelance graphic design for friends and friends of friends, but it's just for small money. I don't plan to do it once I'm done with college. I actually like to work for other people rather than for myself. I need that extra push.

Ditto. If I were my own boss, I'd get nothing done. I'm a bad leader :(

Split
Oct 2, 2011, 12:39 PM
I run I little record label out of a shoebox, just a minuscule LLC outfit I put together around 12 years ago so I could self-publish.

Read a few books about launching labels, indy distribution, legal guides. Not hard at all.

Choose a goal. Chart your course. Adjust as circumstances arise. When you reach a goal, raise the bar.That's awesome, and sort of my goal, too. Starting a mathcore band this summer but know nothing about the management/publishing side of it, and don't really know what I should do in college for it.

Pirrip
Oct 3, 2011, 12:40 AM
Yes! It's nothing really big, though. My boyrfiend and I write and draw our own doujinshi and original manga. I just had 100 new books printed to sell at a convention I went to over the weekend, which went over pretty well. I also make money drawing on commission, making graphics for t-shirts, designing logos, and I may be doing some watercolour portrait painting for a while in the near future. All sorts of weird art-related things.
I hope I've gotten my foot in the door with being taken seriously by making official artwork for an anime convention in my region, but no guarantees.

tl;dr
I have freelance art endevours that sometimes work out and sometimes do not.