PDA

View Full Version : Any new thoughts on a PSZ sequel?

Anon_Fire
Oct 20, 2011, 12:49 AM
Now that many of us have a 3DS including myself, do you believe that a PSZ sequel is possible on the 3DS?

It definitely should include:

Downloadable Content via SpotPass (if you have a SD card)
Level 200 cap
Ultimate difficulty (with remodeled enemy visuals)
New items, probably up to 2000 over the original 350
New weapons
New MAGs, maybe bring back some original PSO favorites
A more variety of quests, including some online exclusive quests or rare quests
More areas
Challenge Mode?

And slightly tone down Humilias in Super Hard

Eclipse5632
Oct 20, 2011, 12:52 AM
A PSZ sequel would be cool and I think it would definitely be possible on the 3DS, but I highly doubt Sega will be making one any time soon, if ever. They're putting a lot of effort into PSO2 and they'll probably want as many people as possible playing that, which means not having any other new PS games to compete with it for attention for a while.

Atbar
Oct 20, 2011, 12:54 AM
A sequel to PSZ has been discussed on here a few times before. I would like to see a sequel, though I'm not counting on Sega to make that any time soon.

Reksanden
Oct 20, 2011, 12:58 AM
Best thing to say is "Wait and see"

Norco
Oct 20, 2011, 05:47 AM
I am all for it, I really hope they make use of the touch screen more if they do. Using that for quickmenues would be awesome, so you could select a new item, weapon, trap or technique without having to stop moving.

Adding the rest of the Lavis weapons wouldn't hurt either ^_^

DoctorShanks
Oct 20, 2011, 06:42 AM
Slightly tone down Humilias in Super Hard? No thank you. In fact, make him an absolute monster in Ultimate :P (Ice and slow protect are your friends).

As much of a good idea as this sounds, it still might not happen for a long time. If they take the servers down and we still don't have our sequel, it's game over. Though it seems like the servers have been up since the dawn of PSZ till today even though we're slowly dying out, and how many years was that? ^^

Sinue_v2
Oct 20, 2011, 07:57 AM
Technically, if PSZero is a prequel of sorts to PSO, then PSO2 is the sequel to PSZero.

Norco
Oct 20, 2011, 08:09 AM
@Sinue_v2: Oh you just had to, didn't you xD

RLbitClassica
Oct 20, 2011, 10:14 AM
*fingers crossed*

Eclipse5632
Oct 20, 2011, 11:08 AM
As much of a good idea as this sounds, it still might not happen for a long time. If they take the servers down and we still don't have our sequel, it's game over. Though it seems like the servers have been up since the dawn of PSZ till today even though we're slowly dying out, and how many years was that? ^^
The "PSZ servers" are Nintendo WFC servers, so unless Nintendo stops that service or the 3DS dies or whatever, we should be good for playing PSZ online. In fact, that's probably the reason why PSZ is free to play. The online isn't costing Sega a dime.

RLbitClassica
Oct 25, 2011, 07:07 PM
If they did release a 3ds sequel, it would finally give me a reason to atually purchase a 3ds. The way things are looking for PSO2(keep in mind i'm not bashing, PSO2 looks awesome in its own right), the PSzero series will be the closest thing to the original PSO we'll ever be getting.

CocoaTan
Oct 26, 2011, 10:39 AM
I figure that a 3DS sequel is likely, depending on how well the game fared in the Japanese market, which is either really well, or dismal, since I haven't been able to find a single copy at Book Off or Mandarake.

Chances are, it'll be releasing after Capcom releases Monster Hunter Tri 3G, and moves the additional analog stick attachment into the market. Monster Hunter Tri 3G looks amazing, and Sega may be trying to up the graphical content a little.

An English release though, is up in the air. Once again, pending the number of sales that PSZ has in the West. Considering that they've already announced that Valkyria Chronicles 3 is not being translated due to poor sales of 2...

Kenbog
Oct 26, 2011, 12:58 PM
I truly hope on a PSZ2....(sounds weird enough....)

Everything that Anon_Fire said sounds very awesome.
Even tho a more advanced customization is always welcome the one in psz is just sad.
I do hope the story and setting is happening at the same time as pso2 but at a different location/alternated universe and are linked with each other. I love stories like that and its so rare in video games (only half life 1 seemed to had the job done right with that imo)

Btw PSZ sales where low because SEGA wanted it to be low... barely any gamestore (in Belgium only 1) had it ordered in stock and no one knew anything of its existence

RLbitClassica
Oct 26, 2011, 05:43 PM
Instead of making a phantasy star 3ds with beefed up graphics, what they should do is release a game that has better graphics than psz, but leave them simple enough that you can fit a massive amount of content into the game cartridge(including decent character customization)

Once you've beaten the story mode, you unlock new difficulties(that would be expected) as well as all the previous levels in the original PSZ. You will have a 200 level cap and Ultimate difficulty will be included.

Phantasy star zero 2 ^^

Taijutsu-Joshua
Oct 26, 2011, 06:05 PM
Yeah, that sounds pretty nice. I'm starting to really grow bored of PSZ, so I'm giving it a break, and playing other games. Just the announcement of a sequel would jolt me into excitement.

RLbitClassica
Oct 26, 2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah, that sounds pretty nice. I'm starting to really grow bored of PSZ, so I'm giving it a break, and playing other games. Just the announcement of a sequel would jolt me into excitement.

Yeah, i was getting rather bored with it too, so in oreder to keep things fresh, I created a Racast and I have been leveling him up instead. The higher level/rare guns in PSZ are pretty badass.

CocoaTan
Oct 27, 2011, 02:14 PM
I truly hope on a PSZ2....(sounds weird enough....)
Btw PSZ sales where low because SEGA wanted it to be low... barely any gamestore (in Belgium only 1) had it ordered in stock and no one knew anything of its existence

Overseas sales should only affect the possibility of the game getting translated, which actually looks to be dismally low. On the other hand, I've been looking for a copy of the game (In Japan) at used game stores, and have been unable to find it there- I can Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Infinity at them, Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G and 3rd even, but no PSZ. It either did so well that everyone hoarded copies of the game and still keeps them, or it did bad enough that not many people purchased it in the first place- So I'm assuming the former, since if it was that bad, it wouldn't have been localized.

PSZ sequel is likely, Western localization though, does not look likely.

NER0
Nov 1, 2011, 10:13 AM
Sadly, the idea of a Phantasy Star Zero sequel on the 3DS is much too awesome for SEGA to consider. But I would love to be proved wrong!

RLbitClassica
Nov 3, 2011, 08:14 PM
You know what would be really awesome? having a port of PSZ(or the sequel) to xbox live and PSN. That way we would actually have a REAL online infrastructure :3

Dragwind
Nov 3, 2011, 09:26 PM
I couldn't imagine what the story of a PSZ sequel would be in my mind. However, it would make sense to me to make a fully functional online PSO remake on the 3DS and call that the PSZ sequel for the 3DS :nerd:

RLbitClassica
Nov 3, 2011, 10:33 PM
I don't know, as much as I love PSO, I'd much rather play a remake of that on a big screen. I like the idea of SEGA making PSZ a nintendo handheld exclusive series.

CocoaTan
Nov 4, 2011, 08:53 AM
3DS specific PSZ would actually be really nice, given the upgraded graphics capability, and SpotPass/StreetPass- Would be able to push out content updates easier, and if they added a feature like Infinity's Support Characters, would be able to pick up a lot of those.

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Nov 4, 2011, 05:13 PM
All I would need to be happy out of a PSZ sequel on DS is soft keyboard and a quick/touch menu for equipment/supplies/techs. I'd ask for better NPCs and higher drop rates but that might be going too far.

Naruuchiha1313
Nov 5, 2011, 10:25 PM
Maybe some extra character customization? I live how it tries to be more like PSO for character creation, and I do like PSO WAY more than PSU, but PSU's character creation choices were epic. I would love more possibilities for character creation!

RayVolution
Dec 10, 2011, 01:25 AM
I actually hope there is going to be another PSZ, I really liked the first one so yeah im crossing my fingers that it appears on the 3DS :D

eXigent
Dec 15, 2011, 02:28 AM
I would love to see a 3ds version... Like others are saying, I think they are very busy with PSO2 for the pc, but I can still hope for one.

Darkus
Dec 17, 2011, 07:02 AM
Maybe a sequel should be released on the Vita instead. The 3DS market is not looking good right now, the only people that are buying it are the nostalgia freaks, pretty much every 3DS game is a remake... Another mario game? mario kart again? pokeparp? zelda port? street fighter? please. so not going to buy it.

I just hope it gets a western release... Cuz I'm sure that patched versions will have problems with going online... and online is one of the reasons why I love PS so much.

GCoffee
Dec 17, 2011, 07:59 AM
I do not see why there should not be both a sequel to PSZ on the 3DS aswell as a sequel to PSP2i on the Vita from the gameplay point of view; each series has enough differences to distinguish itself from the other. However, PSZ sold so miserably even in the East that it is doubtful that SEGA will ever consider making a sequel for that game.

eXigent
Dec 18, 2011, 01:25 AM
Maybe a sequel should be released on the Vita instead. The 3DS market is not looking good right now, the only people that are buying it are the nostalgia freaks, pretty much every 3DS game is a remake... Another mario game? mario kart again? pokeparp? zelda port? street fighter? please. so not going to buy it.

I just hope it gets a western release... Cuz I'm sure that patched versions will have problems with going online... and online is one of the reasons why I love PS so much.

I bought my 3ds for Monster hunter 4. Monster Hunter is an epic series.

DoctorShanks
Dec 18, 2011, 08:50 AM

I wanted a 3DS for the longest time for the new Pokémon Rumble.

On topic, I still pray for an expansion of PSZ where we could port over our characters and (try to) level them further. Maybe a second episode? New areas? New races? New items? *Hopeful*

Darkus
Dec 20, 2011, 07:33 AM

yeah it's a great game but the 3DS won't get wifi play :/ that was a serious step back. wifi play on the wii version was awesome.

I wanted a 3DS for the longest time for the new Pokémon Rumble.

On topic, I still pray for an expansion of PSZ where we could port over our characters and (try to) level them further. Maybe a second episode? New areas? New races? New items? *Hopeful*

Let's hope so Doctor. Let's hope so.
I'm also a Pokemon fan. I'm playing Black right now :3

Nymeria
Dec 20, 2011, 10:40 AM

yeah it's a great game but the 3DS won't get wifi play :/ that was a serious step back. wifi play on the wii version was awesome.

umm.. the 3DS has a Region Lock, so we would need a Western release in order to play Monster Hunter 4 on a Western 3DS. Just thought I'd mention this so that anyone with a Western 3DS doesn't import a Japanese copy of Monster Hunter 4 when it comes out, because the 3DS wont recognize the game UMD.

I had been thinking of importing it from Japan until I found this out. I had imported Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for the PSP but that worked because the PSP doesn't have a Region Lock. For Monster Hunter 4 I'm just crossing my fingers for a Western release. ;)
--

On topic with this thread, I have a feeling I'm going to love PSZ when I finally get to play it (I can't believe it took me two years to find out about it)... and if they make a sequel that's similar enough to it I'll likely play that too. I played a bit of the free demo of Phantasy Star Portable 2, and felt bothered by the twitchy character animation and sliding feet (which was likely due to being able to change the character's height.. yet it personally still bugged me), but PSZ doesn't have those problems from the videos that I've watched and Picto-chat looks charming. I hope that a PSZ sequel could also have Picto-chat, and at least the same online capabilities that this one has. :3

Tigus
Dec 20, 2011, 11:39 AM
I thought about a new 3DS PSO game since the 3DS's was first spoken of.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Dec 23, 2011, 07:44 PM
I had a thread about PSZ 3DS back in early 2010, the main stuff i wanted (and still do) are:

1: Real Quests, with special rooms and events instead of just the area with dialouge or even worse the online quests which were literally just walking through the area in an identical way to the access field alternative.
2: Obviously the basic upgrades like more weapons new areas etc...
3: Also obvious, changes in elevation WHICH PSZ HAD NONE OF!!!!!
4: take out all the crappy loading screens between each room, that really killed a lot of the game for me, i hate load screens no matter how fast they are, i want to walk from place to place not teleport.
5: Get free play out of here and just use the create a game option and have a list of games to join (that's assuming they wouldn't use a lobby system like PSO did)
6: I'd say DLC, but honestly I want this game to be F2P so if DLC meant P2P then I'd rather just not have it.
7: Unique weapons, in PSZ probably around 90% of the weapons were in tiers which were really boring, where-as in PSO almost every special weapon looked unique while normal weapons all had a small tier list which made all the special weapons seem more special.
8: Let us have a key board to click/type messages on along with the drawing paper, because it took forever and was really hard to use that thing.
9: Bring back the quick menus, it was impossible to have more than one or maybe 2 techs on the palette (especially because of the dodge roll) so i never used anything but Resta ever with my non-Fo characters
10: Balance, make Fo melee damage based on ATP so they aren't incredibly strong close up fighters, it was just dumb..
11: Bring weapons away from being level based and make them stat based so there's some real strategy in character building.

ZackyStyles
Dec 23, 2011, 08:45 PM
i totally agree with the quick menu thing, which with a 3ds is possible. movement with control stick and menu with the d-pad.

Chaos Rappy
Dec 23, 2011, 08:57 PM
Exactly! I can't see why they COULDN'T make a new PSZ/O game for the 3DS now that all the gear's in check to be able to make one. The control pad was really the only thing this game needed for that kind of stuff, and now the 3DS has it! :D

PlinderD
Dec 26, 2011, 02:43 AM
CASTs need to get Resta. Or something like Resta. Not because they need it, but because the game needs it

If every class in the game had Resta, the developers could step the difficulty up a notch. PSZ is clearly designed as a PSO game in which all the content (offline AND online) can be done alone by any class. The fact that there's a bunch of classes who have a limited ability to instantly heal themselves means the challenge has to be toned down.

I don't see the developers, if they make a PSZ2, changing this "everything is solo-able" aspect of PSZ. So difficulty is going to be compromised. But at least if Casts had Resta, the developers would have a lot more room to work more difficulty into the game.

That and fix Rangers. It's just dumb that Hunters can outperform Rangers on several guntypes. Every class can use Sabers but Hunters are the best at them. Forces are the best with MST weapons and Techs.

So why Rangers aren't the best with Handguns, Rifles, and Gunblades is just... poor design.

Sp-24
Dec 26, 2011, 07:57 AM
Resta and challenge have nothing to do with each other, especially since every single class has access to healing items. PSZ is so easy because it's PSO-mini in terms of everything, including the difficulty. Again, whatever you learn from Demon's Souls doesn't necessarily apply to everything you see.

And if you really want a challenge, consider that 4-5 -star equipment not only performs, but even looks the same as 7-star one in most cases.

Norco
Dec 26, 2011, 11:12 AM
I have said it before and I will say it again.

1. Have techniques, items and equip accessed from a quickmenu on the touchscreen so you can move and and select things without having it on the palette.
2. Make rangers slightly more useful by making them more unique.
3. Add the whole Lavis- and Red weapon series ^_^
4. Ultimate difficulty.
5. Make so you can play Eternal Tower online. Just first 10 floors with one mother boss would be enough.
6. Add challange mode.
7. Make use of the 3DS "joystick" for better control. If you use it for PSZ atm you can still only go certain directions, it should feel more natrual.

Now the order does not really matter to be honest except for maybe the first one, I consider that one to be the most important one.

PlinderD
Dec 26, 2011, 01:57 PM
I have no idea what Demon Souls has to do with increasing both the challenge and character abilities. That's just a simple gaming design concept found in... oh I don't know... so many many games.

Sp-24
Dec 26, 2011, 03:31 PM
That's two simple game design concepts that have no effect on each other.

PlinderD
Dec 26, 2011, 08:23 PM
lol, seriously your ignorance is astounding.

chronicgamedesigner.blogspot.com/2010/07/improving-your-games-ass-kicking.html

Tigus
Dec 26, 2011, 08:32 PM
A Phantasy Star Zero sequel sounds downright amazing my only complaint on PSZ is its battle system it seemed kind of slowed down enemys seemed to have more variety to there attacks than we do, bosses were really stale not much to them and last thing I would love to see: PVP!

Chaos Rappy
Dec 27, 2011, 04:25 PM
PVP would probably be a no-no, since everyone'd just be a bunch of FO's spamming Zonde all the time everywhere and using Rifle PA's, essentially. There wouldn't be any fun in a PSZ PVP as far as I can see, if things stay even remotely the same. :/

Atbar
Dec 27, 2011, 05:46 PM
PVP would probably be a no-no, since everyone'd just be a bunch of FO's spamming Zonde all the time everywhere and using Rifle PA's, essentially. There wouldn't be any fun in a PSZ PVP as far as I can see, if things stay even remotely the same. :/

I wouldn't do PvP if it was included. I'm more into this game for hunting rares.

Chaos Rappy
Dec 27, 2011, 06:10 PM
Yeah, me too... it was what kinda turned me off about PSP2, with the whole Battle Mode thing and there actually being achievments where you HAVE to do it a large number of times to get certain things... it was stupid, I never did any. Barely even touched the Challenge Missions since I can't find a competent team to do it or everyone I find TO do it is all a bunch of people who think they're all-that... or hackers. GOD, the number of hackers is astounding.

Atbar
Dec 27, 2011, 06:53 PM
Yeah, me too... it was what kinda turned me off about PSP2, with the whole Battle Mode thing and there actually being achievments where you HAVE to do it a large number of times to get certain things... it was stupid, I never did any. Barely even touched the Challenge Missions since I can't find a competent team to do it or everyone I find TO do it is all a bunch of people who think they're all-that... or hackers. GOD, the number of hackers is astounding.

Yeah, that bothered me too...and the lag. Even with the best connection it was enough to disrupt the chain system that game had. It seemed stupid I couldn't chain like crazy with twin handguns online like I did with them offline.

Add-on: Speaking of PSP2, one thing I liked about that game that I wished PSZ had is the ability to use whatever PA you wanted and this is something I would like to see in another PSZ game (though, as I've said on the first page, I'm not counting on another PSZ to be made). It's annoying to get some awesome weapon in PSZ and it either has a PA you hate or no PA at all.

bns1991
Dec 27, 2011, 07:00 PM
If there is a sequel, there NEEDS to be more item space. I always had trouble with that

Chaos Rappy
Dec 27, 2011, 07:13 PM
If there is a sequel, there NEEDS to be more item space. I always had trouble with that

To be fair, at least in PSZ we COULD have up to 80 slots, whereas in Portable 2, a game made AFTER PSZ, you could only carry 60 items... just saying... however, in Portable 2, the Join Trunk / ONLY Trunk could hold up to 1000 items, so it was fairly hard to max out, if you kept only all the good stuff with you, although in that game, there was also so much more to get, so in my case, I tended to almost always have it full of various rares... but, even then, PSO had it even worse with only 30 inventory slots. :/

So, in a sense, I agree with having more inventory space, however, I think PSZ kinda had it pretty good with the max of 80... but I sitll want a massive Trunk space, like Portable, and like it as well, get rid of the separate Trunks and just make one gigantic Joint Trunk. That was pretty awesome.

Norco
Dec 27, 2011, 07:42 PM
I think the trunks/joint trunk should have room for 200 items each. Just like in the good ol' PSO xD

Chaos Rappy
Dec 27, 2011, 07:43 PM
Or just keep PSPo2's 1000 for all. Worked out pretty good for me. I hate having to have a certain character to get stuff out of a stupid trunk. :P

Atbar
Dec 28, 2011, 03:27 AM
I liked being able to send whatever I'm holding to the trunk while I'm on a run like in PSP2 so I wouldn't mind having that option in other Phantasy Star games.

Chaos Rappy
Dec 28, 2011, 08:15 PM
Yeah, but to counter that, I liked PSZ / PSO having Telepipes to be able to go back to the town whenever you wanted in the middle of a mission to restock and stuff... that was the catch they had on allowing you to be able to send your stuff straight to the trunk in the middle of a run, and I really didn't like it... except in online runs, in which unless the mission specified you couldn't, you COULD go back to Clad 6... but not instantly, so it wasn't all that useful unless you failed miserably and died. <.<

Atbar
Dec 28, 2011, 08:59 PM
Yeah, but to counter that, I liked PSZ / PSO having Telepipes to be able to go back to the town whenever you wanted in the middle of a mission to restock and stuff... that was the catch they had on allowing you to be able to send your stuff straight to the trunk in the middle of a run, and I really didn't like it... except in online runs, in which unless the mission specified you couldn't, you COULD go back to Clad 6... but not instantly, so it wasn't all that useful unless you failed miserably and died. <.<

Telepipes didn't cross my mind at the time I wrote it. :/