PDA

View Full Version : setting up the xbox

ancutcho
Mar 18, 2003, 09:17 PM
i just got a cable modem and there a usb and eithernet jack on it and im wondering if i can connect the usb to the comp and the eithernet to the xbox. will that work? has anyone tried that for gamecube or xbox? i dun really want to buy a router just to connnect my xbox to my comp.

saffaya
Mar 20, 2003, 03:28 AM
On 2003-03-18 18:17, ancutcho wrote:
i just got a cable modem and there a usb and eithernet jack on it and im wondering if i can connect the usb to the comp and the eithernet to the xbox. will that work? has anyone tried that for gamecube or xbox? i dun really want to buy a router just to connnect my xbox to my comp.

It could work. But you'll maybe have to manually disconnect one of the two to select the running one.
I don't think the cable modem can feed both the PC in USB and the Xbox in ethernet at the same time.

If you want the Xbox and the PC to be always connected,just buy a $10 network card for your PC, plug the Xbox in it and use Windows' internet sharing option.

Phelan
Mar 31, 2003, 07:30 PM
Yeah, if you don't want to run back and forth, pick up a cheap router.

macuis
Apr 1, 2003, 05:05 PM
I have a modem just like that. Mines a COM21 modem with both USB and Ethernet sockets. It works fine with my 2 computers so I wouldn't see why it would work for you. Just make sure you have 2 IP addresses.

Blenjar
Apr 1, 2003, 08:49 PM
Yup. I do that but I got a Router so I don't have to run around the house.