PDA

View Full Version : Game Best Dragon Ball Z Game Ever?

Taijutsu-Joshua
Oct 29, 2011, 10:31 AM
Since the latest game Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Ultimate_Tenkaichi)released about couple days ago, I've been wondering if I should get it. I mean, it does have character customization, but does it offer anything else worth having?

Then I wondered: what does everyone believe the best game is? I decided to make a poll... Please, if you do pick a game, explain why you think it is the best, in your opinion.

NoiseHERO
Oct 29, 2011, 10:46 AM
Isn't today yo birth day?! I picked original budoukais, because that's all I've played.

Was tempted to grab newer ones, but by the time I looked up there were 20 of them and I saw an evil business trend...

Ezodagrom
Oct 29, 2011, 10:56 AM
My vote goes for the first 3 Budokai games.

While Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenkaichi 3 were, in my opinion, both equally enjoyable, the very first Budokai Tenkaichi was awful, while the 3 Budokai games were all enjoyable.
Budokai 1, 2 and 3 were all enjoyable, with 3 being the better one. Budokai Tenkaichi 1 was awful. Tenkaichi 2 and 3 were enjoyable, with 3 being the better one.

Never played the PS3/360 games, but from what I've seen, so far they seemed to be way less enjoyable than the PS2 games.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 29, 2011, 11:14 AM
My vote goes for the first 3 Budokai games.

While Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenkaichi 3 were, in my opinion, both equally enjoyable, the very first Budokai Tenkaichi was awful, while the 3 Budokai games were all enjoyable.
Budokai 1, 2 and 3 were all enjoyable, with 3 being the better one. Budokai Tenkaichi 1 was awful. Tenkaichi 2 and 3 were enjoyable, with 3 being the better one.

Never played the PS3/360 games, but from what I've seen, so far they seemed to be way less enjoyable than the PS2 games.
Raging Blast 1 and 2 were true improvements off of the Tenkaichi model, meaning they weren't buggy and didn't run at 20 fps. Burst Limit was more of the Budokai continuation, and, while being very pretty, had a habit of being quite annoying to play. I.E.: AI Frieza pushing your shit in because he could teleport any time he damn well pleased.

As for Ultimate Tenkaichi...I'm kinda torn. The game is VERY QTE heavy; it reminded me of one of the Naruto games. Ultimate Storm or something I think? Instead of cutscenes though, Ultimate Tenkaichi is QTE at the end of every chain. I personally think it takes away from the experience, a lot of stopping inbetween fights, and the chance to get out of a chain a lot easier. However, it did improve upon special attack spam, but in a bad way, because it forced you to actually do nothing but melee. Some people may find that an improvement, I call it a toss up.

The character creation is very limited in the beginning. If you want to have your full access to options, you MUST do story mode first. You can also only make a male character, and he HAS to be a saiyan. You get different voice actors depending on what "type" of voice you choose. I chose "Crazy". It gave my character a Brooklyn accent. :lol: You also get to choose what super and ultimate attacks your character will have, and your character gets extra bonuses in Hero Mode, depending on who your "Master" is. You choose a character from the DBZ universe, and you can "train" under them. By sparring a few times, you get extra moves and bonuses, such as health, damage, ki, etc. You can't change masters until you do at least 60% of their training. Once you finish their training, you can fight in their style. (I.E. If you finish the first master, who is Yamcha, then you get his fighting style, in terms of melee combat.)

All in all...it seems like a decent game. Definitely not worth full price, it feels like a $40 game. Graphics are kinda cool, if a little more gritty feeling. Gameplay can be a bit stop and go, with the presentation being cheesily exaggerated, which I kinda liked. I'd say pick it up, but only if you split the money between friends, since it doesn't feel like you should be spending $60 dollars on it.

Ezodagrom
Oct 29, 2011, 11:30 AM
About the Raging Blast games, I don't know what it is, but there's something about them that feels kinda "off" to me, at least when seeing gameplay videos, since I don't have neither PS3 or 360.
About the new Ultimate Tenkaichi, hate how it's so QTE heavy, it's a game that I wouldn't want to play, even if I had a PS3/360.

Zarode
Oct 29, 2011, 11:57 AM
The newest game is sort of like a QTE simulator. The instant you do enough damage and/or knock the guy away, you get sent into a QTE limbo where the objective is the send the other guy to QTE hell/God of War 2.

It's so bad.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 29, 2011, 12:36 PM
About the Raging Blast games, I don't know what it is, but there's something about them that feels kinda "off" to me, at least when seeing gameplay videos, since I don't have neither PS3 or 360.
About the new Ultimate Tenkaichi, hate how it's so QTE heavy, it's a game that I wouldn't want to play, even if I had a PS3/360.
Probably because it's so bland looking. It really is kind of boring. Also feels kinda hollow as well. Well, boring to look at anyway.

Retehi
Oct 29, 2011, 02:18 PM
I would have to say it's this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ4daGvyZp0

Taijutsu-Joshua
Oct 29, 2011, 02:43 PM
Isn't today yo birth day?! I picked original budoukais, because that's all I've played.

Was tempted to grab newer ones, but by the time I looked up there were 20 of them and I saw an evil business trend...

Yeah, it was the 27th.

Taijutsu-Joshua
Oct 29, 2011, 02:50 PM
Raging Blast 1 and 2 were true improvements off of the Tenkaichi model, meaning they weren't buggy and didn't run at 20 fps. Burst Limit was more of the Budokai continuation, and, while being very pretty, had a habit of being quite annoying to play. I.E.: AI Frieza pushing your shit in because he could teleport any time he damn well pleased.

As for Ultimate Tenkaichi...I'm kinda torn. The game is VERY QTE heavy; it reminded me of one of the Naruto games. Ultimate Storm or something I think? Instead of cutscenes though, Ultimate Tenkaichi is QTE at the end of every chain. I personally think it takes away from the experience, a lot of stopping inbetween fights, and the chance to get out of a chain a lot easier. However, it did improve upon special attack spam, but in a bad way, because it forced you to actually do nothing but melee. Some people may find that an improvement, I call it a toss up.

The character creation is very limited in the beginning. If you want to have your full access to options, you MUST do story mode first. You can also only make a male character, and he HAS to be a saiyan. You get different voice actors depending on what "type" of voice you choose. I chose "Crazy". It gave my character a Brooklyn accent. :lol: You also get to choose what super and ultimate attacks your character will have, and your character gets extra bonuses in Hero Mode, depending on who your "Master" is. You choose a character from the DBZ universe, and you can "train" under them. By sparring a few times, you get extra moves and bonuses, such as health, damage, ki, etc. You can't change masters until you do at least 60% of their training. Once you finish their training, you can fight in their style. (I.E. If you finish the first master, who is Yamcha, then you get his fighting style, in terms of melee combat.)

All in all...it seems like a decent game. Definitely not worth full price, it feels like a $40 game. Graphics are kinda cool, if a little more gritty feeling. Gameplay can be a bit stop and go, with the presentation being cheesily exaggerated, which I kinda liked. I'd say pick it up, but only if you split the money between friends, since it doesn't feel like you should be spending $60 dollars on it.

I just came back from preordering Uncharted 3 at GameStop, and I asked the guy there what he thought about UT. He pretty much said what you said, in a nutshell, with some laughs and cusss words in. Told me it was only worth getting used. Makes total sense.

One thing I loved about Budokai 3, which is my all time favorite, was the Dragon Rush, and how it connected moves at the end. I think UT took it too far from what I've seen, about 4 punches in and its QTE TIME!! While B3 had you do a particular move in a particular form to initiate Dragon Rush. I don't know, but something just draws me in with Budokai 3. I had hoped Burst Limit ccould have become a PS3 version, but it failed at that.

Heskett
Oct 29, 2011, 03:03 PM
Budokai 3 is king.

Taijutsu-Joshua
Oct 29, 2011, 05:13 PM
Nuff Said.

MESeele
Oct 29, 2011, 07:55 PM
Never played the Budokai series, so my position is rather slanted. Tenkaichi 3 was fun though.

BIG OLAF
Oct 29, 2011, 08:35 PM
Man, I remember going over to my best friend's house back in 5th grade to play the old PS2 DBZ games. Good times, although they were all basically the exact same game. I can't really vote on a "best."

gordon/alpha999
Oct 29, 2011, 09:48 PM
Budokai series, hands down.

Ark22
Oct 29, 2011, 10:57 PM
Tag team was the best one. It was for the PSP ALSO!!!!

Outrider
Oct 30, 2011, 12:16 AM
I've only played a handful, but my votes are for Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on Wii (because this is one of the few games where completely over-the-top motion controls only add to the fun) and Legacy of Goku: Buu's Fury (because it's actually a ton of fun to explore the Dragonball world, even if it's a heavily miniaturized & modified version of it.)

Taijutsu-Joshua
Oct 30, 2011, 07:40 AM
Buu's Fury was fun, but it was also pretty frickin easy.

@Ark22 And as for Tenkaichi Tag Team, I could totally understand why you would pick that game. Something about it kept me playing for hours on end.

But still Budokai 3 > All others

Delete
Oct 30, 2011, 08:33 AM
I don't even know half of those, but I do remember Budakai 2 and 3 being pretty good. There was one really bad one for PS2 (like an RPG ish kind?)

Found it, it was Dragon Ball Z sagas, hands down the worst DBZ game they made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7uygKpVQFQ

Taijutsu-Joshua
Oct 30, 2011, 08:40 AM
I don't even know half of those, but I do remember Budakai 2 and 3 being pretty good. There was one really bad one for PS2 (like an RPG ish kind?)

Dragon Ball Z Sagas Part 1 {Xboxshqip} - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7uygKpVQFQ)

I was actually going to add that to this poll, but man, it was so garbage, it makes X-Men Destiny look good...

Sad thing is, I actually was so bored that I borrowed it from a friend and beat the game... hours of my life I can never take back...

NoiseHERO
Oct 30, 2011, 09:29 AM
Sagas made my dragon balls hurt...

Glad I only rented it.

Zarode
Oct 30, 2011, 10:47 AM
Sagas made my dragon balls hurt...

Glad I only rented it.

Considering my friend and I played through that game co-op, it's one of those games I'd rank "so bad its good."

I've never seen a more glorious glitchy mess in my life. Do you know how many times me and my friend had to fight Captain Ginyu? No, no you don't wanna know. But you will.

First time? He got stuck in the ground during his ground digging grab move. He just refused to come back up. Obviously, he had enough of the game and was looking for a way out. But he couldn't find refuge.

Second time: He got kicked through the arena wall, and decided to go to 7/11 for a drink. I think he forgot which way the arena was, and never came back. A reminder too: You had to fight Juice and Burters tag team each time before you could fight Ginyu. A horribly annoying fight, at that.

The third time, though. Oh god. The third time. We some how got Genyu to get stuck into one of the trees on the battlefield, as he ran backwards straight into it trying to chase my goofy ass down as Vegeta. He ran straight at me, backwards. I couldn't hit him with anything I threw at him. Fireballs, Punches, Kicks. All null. So what did my P1 friend do as Goku? He walked straight up to him, and when Ginyu and Goku met, it was a match made in heaven.

Literally, it looked like Goku and Ginyu were getting it on. Everytime Goku walked forward, Ginyu would cock his leg up. God, we were dying with laughter. I remember I couldn't breathe, I literally thought I was gonna suffocate I was laughing so hard.

So Ginyu learned a new move: Submit.

I really wish we had a way to record videos way ago. That would've been one for Youtube.

McLaughlin
Oct 30, 2011, 11:21 AM
I've only played a couple, but I liked Burst Limit and BT3 on the Wii.

I probably lean more towards BT3, just because trying to beat Freiza on Z Difficulty in Burst Limit was total bullshit. That might be the most frustrating AI I've ever fought (and that counts the Alpha Kasumi thing in DoA4).

Taijutsu-Joshua
Oct 30, 2011, 12:21 PM
Considering my friend and I played through that game co-op, it's one of those games I'd rank "so bad its good."

I've never seen a more glorious glitchy mess in my life. Do you know how many times me and my friend had to fight Captain Ginyu? No, no you don't wanna know. But you will.

First time? He got stuck in the ground during his ground digging grab move. He just refused to come back up. Obviously, he had enough of the game and was looking for a way out. But he couldn't find refuge.

Second time: He got kicked through the arena wall, and decided to go to 7/11 for a drink. I think he forgot which way the arena was, and never came back. A reminder too: You had to fight Juice and Burters tag team each time before you could fight Ginyu. A horribly annoying fight, at that.

The third time, though. Oh god. The third time. We some how got Genyu to get stuck into one of the trees on the battlefield, as he ran backwards straight into it trying to chase my goofy ass down as Vegeta. He ran straight at me, backwards. I couldn't hit him with anything I threw at him. Fireballs, Punches, Kicks. All null. So what did my P1 friend do as Goku? He walked straight up to him, and when Ginyu and Goku met, it was a match made in heaven.

Literally, it looked like Goku and Ginyu were getting it on. Everytime Goku walked forward, Ginyu would cock his leg up. God, we were dying with laughter. I remember I couldn't breathe, I literally thought I was gonna suffocate I was laughing so hard.

So Ginyu learned a new move: Submit.

I really wish we had a way to record videos way ago. That would've been one for Youtube.

Damn, I wish I'd seen that. I had a similar problem with The final battle-- Gohan vs. Cell (I can't stand it when DBZ games end at Cell saga "I'm talking to you Burst Limit."[It took about 6 tries for me to win. Either Cell would somehow glitch and end up in an inaccessible area, or I would lose the fight (5th try)

I've only played a couple, but I liked Burst Limit and BT3 on the Wii.

I probably lean more towards BT3, just because trying to beat Frieza on Z Difficulty in Burst Limit was total bullshit. That might be the most frustrating AI I've ever fought (and that counts the Alpha Kasumi thing in DoA4).

Those fights were Hell on a platter. I thought I was the only one who suffered in that match

Ark22
Oct 30, 2011, 01:52 PM

Dragon Ball Z Sagas Part 1 {Xboxshqip} - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7uygKpVQFQ)

DBZ was crappy, but come on, you know you guys had fun with your buddies hittin g the enemy up in the air and warp Kamehameha. Best thing ever until you could do that in DBZ tag team. They need to make that for the PSV

Delete
Oct 31, 2011, 03:36 AM
I was actually going to add that to this poll, but man, it was so garbage, it makes X-Men Destiny look good...

Sad thing is, I actually was so bored that I borrowed it from a friend and beat the game... hours of my life I can never take back...

I actually bought this game the day it came out because I was still a DBZ nerd at the time. Big mistake. I also remember cell being a bitch to fight only doing damage with special attacks or something on his last form.

Taijutsu-Joshua
Oct 31, 2011, 07:22 AM
Hell yes. Constantly doing kamehamehas... I was like "DON'T YOU RUN OUTTA KI!!?"

Outrider
Oct 31, 2011, 12:14 PM
Man, I remember picking up a used copy of Budokai 3 on the cheap a while back, but I never played it. You guys are making me regret that. I should track down my PS2 and give it a shot.

Urgh, it's been years but I can't deny my love for Dragonball. This thread is making me want to go a on wiki binge or something.

Taijutsu-Joshua
Oct 31, 2011, 12:34 PM
Man, I remember picking up a used copy of Budokai 3 on the cheap a while back, but I never played it. You guys are making me regret that. I should track down my PS2 and give it a shot.

Urgh, it's been years but I can't deny my love for Dragonball. This thread is making me want to go a on wiki binge or something.

WOW. You haven't played Budokai 3 yet? You really should try it. I know we make it sound like it's the best DBZ game in the world, but I would like for you to try it, and then come back to us on what you think. I wouldn't want you to be like "This game sounded awesome, but it isn't..."

Now to make the game sound awesome beyond comparison.... man... that game seriously made me fall in love with playing as Bardock... pretty much all the non-super saiyans. Kid Buu, Nappa, there was something about their specials that I loved..

The beating the game, and getting the wishes.. I always picked Breakthrough to get the full moveset..

The game went all the way to the GT saga...

Ok, I'm done ranting...

Outrider
Oct 31, 2011, 02:49 PM
The biggest problem is that I need to hook up a PS2 to play it. Not only am I not sure where my PS2 currently lives (it's probably stashed away at my parents' place somewhere), but I don't have room for it.

Maybe I'll give it a shot when I'm at my parents' place over the holidays.

Taijutsu-Joshua
Nov 1, 2011, 08:37 PM
Cool, you should try it when you can.