PDA

View Full Version : Wii U to "probably" support more than one tablet controller

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Nov 9, 2011, 03:47 PM
obviously this isn't official but it sounds very probable that the Wii U will be able to use at least 2 tablet controllers at once http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/wii-u-may-support-multiple-tablets-on-one-console-after-all/

Kent
Nov 9, 2011, 06:49 PM
The one-tablet-only thing was the source of a lot of criticism for the Wii U information. Now let's see if Nintendo can still be relatively-modern and include a hard drive and a decent online networking system for the thing, rather than staying with the nonexistant model that's about two generations old now.

Seth Astra
Nov 9, 2011, 06:50 PM
If there was support for only one tablet at once... That'd just be bad...

Retehi
Nov 9, 2011, 08:06 PM
Now let's see if Nintendo can still be relatively-modern and include a hard drive and a decent online networking system for the thing, rather than staying with the nonexistant model that's about two generations old now.

Maybe NASA will achieve time and space-bending travel by then to. :p

NoiseHERO
Nov 9, 2011, 08:39 PM
Stupid Hipster Nintendo.

Zarode
Nov 9, 2011, 09:23 PM
Someone's gotta try something further than GRAPHICS, GRAPHICS EVERYWHERE

Randomness
Nov 9, 2011, 09:26 PM
The one-tablet-only thing was the source of a lot of criticism for the Wii U information. Now let's see if Nintendo can still be relatively-modern and include a hard drive and a decent online networking system for the thing, rather than staying with the nonexistant model that's about two generations old now.

Wii has an internal drive. SSD I think.

I'll give you the bit about their online. Mostly awful. Tri is a notable (and spectacular) exception.

Kent
Nov 9, 2011, 11:03 PM
Wii has an internal drive. SSD I think.
http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/about

Wii U is going to have internal flash memory, just like the Wii does. Considering the fact that the tablet controller touchscreens are using resistive touchscreens instead of the inherently-superior capacitive touchscreens (due to manufacturing cost concerns), I think an SSD is far out of Nintendo's reach.

NoiseHERO
Nov 9, 2011, 11:14 PM
Why don't we just do virtual reality instead of this halfassed version of it. D<

Dr. Montague
Nov 10, 2011, 08:29 PM
Why don't we just do virtual reality instead of this halfassed version of it. D<

Because we don't want something like this happening again. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy)

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Nov 10, 2011, 10:30 PM
i think virtual reality should happen along side games, people act like virtual reality is the next step in gaming but really they're totally different, gaming is relaxing while virtual reality is trying to really put you in the situation, i hope it doesn't destroy gaming when it really does start happening.

NoiseHERO
Nov 10, 2011, 11:03 PM
Gaming is relaxing?

People sure don't treat it that way............. D:

Randomness
Nov 11, 2011, 07:55 AM
http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/about

Wii U is going to have internal flash memory, just like the Wii does. Considering the fact that the tablet controller touchscreens are using resistive touchscreens instead of the inherently-superior capacitive touchscreens (due to manufacturing cost concerns), I think an SSD is far out of Nintendo's reach.

Er... an SSD is flash memory.

yoshiblue
Nov 11, 2011, 10:26 AM
Gaming is relaxing?

People sure don't treat it that way............. D:

X is right. Teirs, people crying about true fighting games and bashing consoles and comps for gaming, FPS players screaming at each other and puffing up their chests, ect.

Outrider
Nov 11, 2011, 10:50 AM
Because we don't want something like this happening again. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy)

MMOs are much closer to the idea of "virtual reality" than the Virtual Boy.

The Virtual Boy was just an awkward 3D screen for regular games.

Kent
Nov 11, 2011, 04:17 PM
Er... an SSD is flash memory.
Not necessarily - not all SSDs use flash memory, and flash memory has applications ranging outside of the specific use of SSDs. Not to mention, being an individual drive implies several other aspects about its construction that are probably not applicable to either the Wii or the Wii U, considering that (at least in the Wii, and implied in the specifications of the Wii U) it's more similar to nonvolatile onboard memory.

Randomness
Nov 11, 2011, 05:33 PM
Not necessarily - not all SSDs use flash memory, and flash memory has applications ranging outside of the specific use of SSDs. Not to mention, being an individual drive implies several other aspects about its construction that are probably not applicable to either the Wii or the Wii U, considering that (at least in the Wii, and implied in the specifications of the Wii U) it's more similar to nonvolatile onboard memory.

Put it this way, there's no physical difference between the Wii's internal memory and an SSD (May be formatted in some odd way, but otherwise). The main reason for wanting a hard drive on a console is because memory cards are a pain anyways, and the Wii certainly doesn't require memory cards (unless you fill it somehow, and then it still takes SD cards, which are pretty cheap)

yoshiblue
Nov 11, 2011, 07:10 PM
Wouldn't a HDD also bump up the price of the console as well?

Randomness
Nov 11, 2011, 07:20 PM
Wouldn't a HDD also bump up the price of the console as well?

HDD does cost money, but they already loaded the Wii with flash memory, which is actually more expensive (for a given amount of data).