PDA

View Full Version : Steam was hacked...

ShadowDragon28
Nov 10, 2011, 06:54 PM
http://kotaku.com/5858473/steam-hacked-valve-investigating-possible-credit-card-theft

Wow. This is messed up.

Randomness
Nov 10, 2011, 06:57 PM
I'm only half surprised.

Ark22
Nov 10, 2011, 07:00 PM
WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! THEY GIVE US DEALS!!!!! DEEEAALLLLSSS!!!! 75% OFF STUFF!!!!

Reksanden
Nov 10, 2011, 07:06 PM
So THAT's where my extra money went...... F***.

SpikeOtacon
Nov 10, 2011, 07:12 PM
To clarify, only Steam User Forum accounts were compromised. If you have the same username and password on the forums as you did for your main steam account, you might be in trouble if your email was hacked as well and they could confirm your steamguard (or you never turned it on). The Credit Card info and Steam accounts were not left open in a plaintext file like Sony did during their hack. All of that has been salted, hashed and encrypted so it should be fairly safe.

Keep an eye on your bank account as a precaution.

Mike
Nov 10, 2011, 07:21 PM
The Credit Card info and Steam accounts were not left open in a plaintext file like Sony did during their hack. All of that has been salted, hashed and encrypted so it should be fairly safe.

I want to be very clear that the passwords were not stored in our database in cleartext form From the Playstation.Blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/02/playstation-network-security-update/)

NoiseHERO
Nov 10, 2011, 09:10 PM
Wait I thought people actually LIKED steam? Unlike everything else in the gaming world where haters and lovers are up in the air for *insert any company's name* Not that I know anything about steam.

Guess hackers gotta hack.

Scejntjynahl
Nov 11, 2011, 10:51 AM
To clarify, only Steam User Forum accounts were compromised. If you have the same username and password on the forums as you did for your main steam account, you might be in trouble if your email was hacked as well and they could confirm your steamguard (or you never turned it on). The Credit Card info and Steam accounts were not left open in a plaintext file like Sony did during their hack. All of that has been salted, hashed and encrypted so it should be fairly safe.

Keep an eye on your bank account as a precaution.

So as long as I dont even have an account for Steam's Forums I should be out of danger? Only reason I even have Steam is because stupid, lame, idiotic, "dungeons and dragons: dagger etc" FORCED me to download Steam to play it. And I haven't bought anything from Steam directly either. Meh, the game is lousy Im tempted to just uninstall it alongside with Steam.

Outrider
Nov 11, 2011, 10:55 AM
Wait I thought people actually LIKED steam? Unlike everything else in the gaming world where haters and lovers are up in the air for *insert any company's name* Not that I know anything about steam.

Guess hackers gotta hack.

Hackers also sometimes like to steal credit card information.

Zarode
Nov 11, 2011, 11:59 AM
So as long as I dont even have an account for Steam's Forums I should be out of danger? Only reason I even have Steam is because stupid, lame, idiotic, "dungeons and dragons: dagger etc" FORCED me to download Steam to play it. And I haven't bought anything from Steam directly either. Meh, the game is lousy Im tempted to just uninstall it alongside with Steam.

Keep Steam, wait for Black Friday and the Holidays. I promise you won't regret it.

Mantiskilla
Nov 11, 2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah Steam always has great holiday deals. For racing fans they had a good deal for Dirt 3 and F1 2011 for $67. Already have Dirt 3 on PC so didn't take advantage of it but yeah good deals are common on Steam

NoiseHERO
Nov 11, 2011, 03:35 PM
Hackers also sometimes like to steal credit card information.

YEAH BUT, UNCOOL MAAAAAANNNNNN.

They could get credit card information anywhere, and thought it said something about forums being defaced or whatever.. Sounded personal.

Not that I care or read more than a couple of lines of what happened.