PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Am I in the proper mindset? (Vanguard)

Reanim8ion
Dec 5, 2011, 12:01 AM
A friend of mine recently pulled me from God-Eater: Burst to PS:P2, which I find to be enjoyable, however, I am a bit unsure as to how I am building my first character (which I intend on keeping, so I've done a little research to reduce setbacks as much as possible). I've looked over the class/race data, and Newman (F) Vanguard is what I'm aiming for [high EVA providing ample opportunities for chaining in a chain-based combat system sounds like a good idea... I think].

Character creation based on collected data:
Race: Newman (F)
Class: Vanguard
Weapons of choice: Twin Sabers (Blade Destruction) / Twin Handguns (Chain-building) / Rod/Wand (For buffing purposes)

Are there any better solutions to the weapon choices above? Which would be better for buffing: Rods or Wands; or perhaps Tech-Mags would be best? I'm new to the Phantasy Star franchise altogether, so any information would be most helpful. I've looked over the Vanguard discussions, but I haven't come across a comprehensive guide: how to build a Vanguard from the ground up, how to effectively level as a Vanguard, which weapons are suitable for these levels, et cetera.

PLEASE do not hesitate to let me know if I am going in the completely wrong direction with this concept. The last thing I would want to be is unsatisfied with my character in the higher levels.

-Reanim8ion

Mike
Dec 5, 2011, 01:16 AM
Traps are a must for vanguards. They aren't weapons like twin sabers or swords are but they are very powerful.

blace
Dec 5, 2011, 02:12 AM
EX Traps as well, that's assuming you can get them from the get go from your friend, otherwise you'll need to play through the story to gwt your hands on those. EX Burn comes at Chapter 7 if I recall right, and EX Stun after you beat the game. Rods also have a higher base TEC compared to most other TEC based weapon, and I would recommend using the Mr. Ecoeco Stick as it uses less PP to cast.

Sinue_v2
Dec 5, 2011, 02:18 AM
Yeah, I pretty much play my Newman Vanguard as a chain builder with a nuclear option. Most of my weapons of quick multi-strike combo types (twin daggers, knuckles, twin claws, etc). I also use a saber and a claw with tech-mags for buffs and healing between rooms to save on Mates. Problem is, many of the two handed weapons are inefficient for VA (using up more extend points), so I've used my higher-level characters to buy up a bunch of Kubara B rank "S-Rank weapon equivalents".

I also use R-Mags, but I'm about ready to drop them since the ones I've used are either so inaccurate as to be useless, or they shoot the enemy up so far in the air (Sonichi) that combos can be lost by the time they land. Not good.

Shame, since they whooped ass on Acrofighters in PSU. Especially the rapid-fire A-Ranks like Graldike. They were great for knockdowns and spreading Status Effects.

RemiusTA
Dec 5, 2011, 04:02 AM
EX traps are broken.

You're doing it right on PSP2 as long as you are not a force.

Alisha
Dec 5, 2011, 06:08 AM
your gonna have to rely on incap a LOT because newmans make limp wristed VA's. you might wanna take a look at beast VA as well unless you have an elf fettish =P theres a 2 eva difference between newman and beast and beast has way better attack and hp.

Reanim8ion
Dec 5, 2011, 09:54 AM
Does a higher TEC affect how high I can heal myself? I've heard people mention using wands and/or Tech-Mags for a slightly faster animation, if I am not mistaken. As for the EX Traps, I'll be sure to get as many as I can from my friend - they look awesome.

Now by "limp wristed," do you mean they are weak dps-wise? I figured the chain-based system would make it so even the weaker of the ATP classes are still very efficient, granted the chain is a bit higher (hopefully not by much). That, and I could perhaps swap to my Twin Sabers for a quick Blade Destruction after I chain via Twin Handguns.

Also, why a beast? I've heard that their - and please correct me if I'm wrong - ACC is rather low, and their PP and regeneration is on the slower side, potentially getting in the way of a solid chain of dps.

EX traps are broken.

Actually, I was wondering about this. I've looked at a couple forums where people incorporated additional capabilities of forces on top of the basic heal-buff functions. How is this possible, and if so, what might the pros and cons be?

Milla
Dec 5, 2011, 11:48 AM
EX traps are broken.

Now I'm sad....:(

Souseiki
Dec 5, 2011, 01:52 PM
You as a Newman braver deal the most damge with Tech . so having at least one Rod for Tech attack will be fine . My Newman isnt a Braver but i still use traps doing 2000 and more damge . now i have read the the best for Bravers are Dumans but since your new dont use them . i say maybe a Human Braver ? haveing a MB of darkness speeds up your attacking speed for better chains. just saying Newman Bravers arent really good . Humans have the best def and and overall no weakness . Being a Human Braver is a very Good! starting charater . Because trust me you will make more then one . and you cant have everthing in your Newman .So for now until you understand the game more , i mean read what you want but its different on the battle field . like in GEB . you weapon was like your class . meaning you can pick short sword and yea its fast but it doesnt kill fast your short short are your Newmans and Dumans . hit and run .i guess , im guessing you used long sword like i did . long swords are your Humans and casts . and beast are our lovable great swords or buster swords . if this make any sense lol .

Ceresa
Dec 5, 2011, 02:21 PM
Beasts suck.

You're going to overkill the shit out of trash mobs regardless of your race. The better pp/pp regen on Newman makes for faster clear times. Needing to fire twinhandguns a few extra times on the minority of a minority of large mobs to compensate for less atp is negligible, especially since again, newmans have better pp to deal with that. Main thing is the last attack of Blade Destruction needs a 15 chain to get the damage bonus. This is frequently overkill on a Beast, and still a kill on a Newman, but a lower chain means no bonus on that last hit, which obviously allows the Newman to stay on par. Throw in the occasional zero or crit and it's just...whatever, not like you're gonna spreadsheet the exact chain count for every monster in every mission updated everytime you level/upgrade weapons... Get in a party and any precise chain count goes straight to hell anyways. Better pp efficiency also makes for better incap (instant death proc) spamming.

HP is a crutch for shit players, evade enhances a good player (also gets used as a crutch by shit players). More HP is meaningless since you get so many instant healing items, no one's going to hover at 400/1300 hp over 200/1100 hp to try and squeeze out some healing efficiency. Newmans aren't going to get one shot, physical attacks will never land with enough evade, techniques are telegraphed, linear, and trivial to dodge/block/move.

And attack techs aren't worth using as a Braver on Vanilla, they suck at raising the chain and won't finish as well as melee.

Spears are comparable damage wise and have early/trivial access to some of the best ones. Knuckles are safe and easy and still good damage for small-medium things. Everything else is in the fun over efficiency category.

No choice you make is permanent other than race/gender btw. Build-wise you want Burst Bomber always (boosts trap damage). Evade boost if you're still getting hit. PP boosts/saves otherwise, or exp/drop boosts, the damage boosters are all junk.

If you ever plan to move to infinity, you'll be rather grateful your Newman makes the best Force..

RemiusTA
Dec 5, 2011, 02:33 PM
Does a higher TEC affect how high I can heal myself? I've heard people mention using wands and/or Tech-Mags for a slightly faster animation, if I am not mistaken. As for the EX Traps, I'll be sure to get as many as I can from my friend - they look awesome.

Now by "limp wristed," do you mean they are weak dps-wise? I figured the chain-based system would make it so even the weaker of the ATP classes are still very efficient, granted the chain is a bit higher (hopefully not by much). That, and I could perhaps swap to my Twin Sabers for a quick Blade Destruction after I chain via Twin Handguns.

Also, why a beast? I've heard that their - and please correct me if I'm wrong - ACC is rather low, and their PP and regeneration is on the slower side, potentially getting in the way of a solid chain of dps.

Actually, I was wondering about this. I've looked at a couple forums where people incorporated additional capabilities of forces on top of the basic heal-buff functions. How is this possible, and if so, what might the pros and cons be?

Forces would be a good choice in this game, but the issue is that they are simply not practical at anything they do. This is after hours of me trying to make my force useful, and then simply giving up.

The problem here is that Technics are useless. Technics can do wicked damage, but since building up the chains to use them takes such ridiculous PP usage, you'll constantly find yourself getting to Chain 2-3 and not having enough PP to end anything. The most effective rod i have is that one that reduces PP cost, becuase it's the only one i can actually tech with.

Problem two, they are FAR too slow. I felt this was an issue in AotI as well, but it's just ridiculous here. For some reason, every technic with a useful side effect (freeze, launch, knockdown) has been given such a ridiculous casting period that using them is either too tedious to hit with or just plain suicide. If you combine this with the PP issue, you have a character that is literally unable to hold their own in combat except in the most LENIENT situations. You cast too slow to keep an enemy off you, and you take too much PP to keep up any assault you can start up. Forces have Resta and it's usually very powerful, but once again it's just far too slow to make a difference. I can GUARANTEE you that using resta in battle will get you killed FAR more than it'll save your life. My force goes into battle with mates.

Problem three, they're the only class in the game with 2-handed weapons that can't block, which makes no sense seeing as they're the one class that needs it the most. If you're using anything other than a Rod then your damage is going to be FAR less than it should be. If you're using one-handed weapons then you'll be able to chain much easier, but your PP will be wasted so fast that by the time you switch to Rod again, you're probably empty. You can use Striking weapons, but even hunters have issues surviving in this game. For Newman Forces, this is suicide.

Anyway, thats enough. They're a fun class, but the MOMENT you encounter an enemy like a Go Vahara, you'll notice just how defenseless of a class you are. Aside from Nosdiga/Noszonde, you're pretty much defenseless against any enemy that ignores flinching, which barely matters anyway since so few technics actually stun enemies.

I should mention, you should ignore me if you're planning on playing Infinity. I took my shitty ass PSP2 force, ported it to PSP2i, and suddenly the game became too easy.

Beasts suck.

You're going to overkill the shit out of trash mobs regardless of your race. The better pp/pp regen on Newman makes for faster clear times. Needing to fire twinhandguns a few extra times on the minority of a minority of large mobs to compensate for less atp is negligible, especially since again, newmans have better pp to deal with that. Main thing is the last attack of Blade Destruction needs a 15 chain to get the damage bonus. This is frequently overkill on a Beast, and still a kill on a Newman, but a lower chain means no bonus on that last hit, which obviously allows the Newman to stay on par. Throw in the occasional zero or crit and it's just...whatever, not like you're gonna spreadsheet the exact chain count for every monster in every mission updated everytime you level/upgrade weapons... Get in a party and any precise chain count goes straight to hell anyways. Better pp efficiency also makes for better incap (instant death proc) spamming.

HP is a crutch for shit players, evade enhances a good player (also gets used as a crutch by shit players). More HP is meaningless since you get so many instant healing items, no one's going to hover at 400/1300 hp over 200/1100 hp to try and squeeze out some healing efficiency. Newmans aren't going to get one shot, physical attacks will never land with enough evade, techniques are telegraphed, linear, and trivial to dodge/block/move.

And attack techs aren't worth using as a Braver on Vanilla, they suck at raising the chain and won't finish as well as melee.

Spears are comparable damage wise and have early/trivial access to some of the best ones. Knuckles are safe and easy and still good damage for small-medium things. Everything else is in the fun over efficiency category.

No choice you make is permanent other than race/gender btw. Build-wise you want Burst Bomber always (boosts trap damage). Evade boost if you're still getting hit. PP boosts/saves otherwise, or exp/drop boosts, the damage boosters are all junk.

If you ever plan to move to infinity, you'll be rather grateful your Newman makes the best Force..

i'd take this with a grain of salt. It's not like he's wrong or anything, but this game just doesn't require this type of stat pinching. At least I dont believe it does. I've never given two shits about my clear time unless it stopped me from getting an S-rank. I dont understand the TA scene in this game series...

Ceresa
Dec 5, 2011, 02:52 PM
i'd take this with a grain of salt. It's not like he's wrong or anything, but this game just doesn't require this type of stat pinching. At least I dont believe it does. I've never given two shits about my clear time unless it stopped me from getting an S-rank. I dont understand the TA scene in this game series...

Getting a drop is fun, all agree.
The journey is fun too.
You have more chances to get a drop by going faster. You also go on more journeys!
Efficiency leads directly to more fun!

Well I'm not sure what the appeal is in trying to beat someone else's time that has vastly different equipment generated via dumbass luck, but beating your own time/improving yourself is always worth pursuing.

RemiusTA
Dec 5, 2011, 02:59 PM
Oh. Well, i guess you're right.

I suck in this game anyway. I basically quit after i realized forces sucked so bad, it was almost like they were in the wrong game.

I picked it back up recently after playing with my Humar a bit more. It's fun again. But i'll probably never get into PSP2i since i hate moonrunes, sooooo

Ark22
Dec 5, 2011, 03:14 PM
I want to play this game again, but afraid no one will play with me.

Souseiki
Dec 5, 2011, 05:40 PM
Yea in Infinity Newman Forcers are better . so maybe being a Braver Newman will be better on PS:P2i

Reanim8ion
Dec 5, 2011, 09:13 PM
So in hindsight, techs are pointless in what I am trying to accomplish, beasts lack the decent PP and PP regeneration almost necessary to efficiently utilize the full capabilities of a Vanguard (at least compared to Newmans?), and techs are pointless on PS:P2 - also known as Vanilla, to my understanding of the previous posts. Well noted, and thank you for the valuable information.

What of weapons and armor? Not so much the classes, but what should I be shooting for early, mid, and late game?

Now regarding PSPi, what exactly is the difference between the that and Vanilla? (I'm still somewhat intrigued about the force class, simply because I happen to be a Newman, and if they are decent if not great there, well...)

EDIT: Oh, and say I find PSPi to be a better game overall, is there a way to transfer my character data?

RemiusTA
Dec 5, 2011, 09:49 PM
A bunch of class rebalances, but generally everyone is even more broken than before, with forces having most of the issues i listed above fixed to a degree and given new spells that enemies can't cope with, making them broken as well.

Reanim8ion
Dec 5, 2011, 09:55 PM
I see. Would you say that it is better?

Souseiki
Dec 5, 2011, 10:09 PM
Yes , Psp2i is a better Psp2 .
Yes you can carry over your gamesave from psp2 to psp2i . theres a thread on that . i play as both Newman and Dumans so i can say Newmans are way better . making a force/braver is easyer on infinity . Weapons and armor . well armor you can buy and find . and weapons ill say
Wand/shield
Rod
for the forcer side . now braver . hmm
any weapon really they are the "jack of all trades"

Crystal_Shard
Dec 5, 2011, 10:37 PM
So in hindsight, techs are pointless in what I am trying to accomplish, beasts lack the decent PP and PP regeneration almost necessary to efficiently utilize the full capabilities of a Vanguard (at least compared to Newmans?), and techs are pointless on PS:P2 - also known as Vanilla, to my understanding of the previous posts. Well noted, and thank you for the valuable information.

Techs have their uses, but it's pretty limited in vanilla. In Infinity, well, Forces are pretty much champions at chaining. For a braver, you won't really need to bother with techs - EX Traps are pretty much your best finishing move. If you still want to use techs, check this thread here for a pretty good lowdown on Forces and techniques for both versions: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186987

What of weapons and armor? Not so much the classes, but what should I be shooting for early, mid, and late game?

Early and Mid game: If you're on the JP version, head to the DLC store and download all of the available free DLC weapons. Most of these will serve you far better than most of the drops you get at lower levels. Also get all the password weapons.

If you're on the US version, the password weapons will still serve you pretty well until you start hitting the A ranks.

Late game: Stock up on Weapon Badge Golds, then go exchange them for Elysions (Twin Sabers) and Caduceus (Rod). These will serve you well until you can find all of the really rare stuff. The trade mission "Secret Society" (機械惑星の秘密結社) has these, but you need to clear Story mode on hard to have them available.

For armours, aim to get Gerard Lines. If I recall correct, Dulk Fakis Final should drop them in the open mission True Darkness on S Rank. This will be a pretty late acquisition though, due to the difficulty, but True Darkness CAN be soloed once you have the levels to use the Elysions. Ensure that you have enabled resistance to freeze though and spam your debuffs, or the pannons will slaughter you.

Now regarding PSPi, what exactly is the difference between the that and Vanilla? (I'm still somewhat intrigued about the force class, simply because I happen to be a Newman, and if they are decent if not great there, well...)

EDIT: Oh, and say I find PSPi to be a better game overall, is there a way to transfer my character data?

Infinity is far better game vs Vanilla, but as a heavy force user, I'm biased. ^_^ Newman forces are still squishy, but they survive better overall, and the improved casting speeds, chaining potential and damage output are pretty wonderful.

As for transferring, if you're on the JP version, this will be no problem. On the US version, you'll need to convert your save file before you can do so.

Reanim8ion
Dec 5, 2011, 11:26 PM
Thank you for the valuable information. That leaves me with one last question: is PSPi fully translated to English?

Crystal_Shard
Dec 5, 2011, 11:34 PM
I think there was some mention of a translation project around the threads here, but you'd need to dip your toes into the largely taboo topic (on PSOW forums I mean) of using CFW. Not sure how far along that has gone yet.

There's no official US version planned so far, unless there's been new info during the month or so I was away from the forum.

Edit: Hm, just realized I didn't actually answer the question about what's the difference between vanilla and Infinity. Essentially, there's a new race, new content, 5 new story missions, addition of a new mission type, Infinity Missions, gameplay tweaks and nerfs, more DLC, etc, etc.

Reanim8ion
Dec 5, 2011, 11:43 PM
Well the lack of an English release is unfortunate...

Crystal_Shard
Dec 5, 2011, 11:45 PM
Ah, found it. The translation project thread is here. It was actually just a few threads below.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191415

Reanim8ion
Dec 5, 2011, 11:51 PM
Then sign me up! Somehow while making a thread focused on building a vanguard, I've ended up wanting to make a force--indecisiveness is truly an oddity. I'll make a similar post in regards to forces when I get the Infinity version if not making this thread into it.

EDIT: I guess it would be safe to ask about how exactly to get the Infinity version, lol. I'm assuming via an ISO, but are there any region locks or other restrictions?

Sinue_v2
Dec 6, 2011, 12:30 AM
EDIT: I guess it would be safe to ask about how exactly to get the Infinity version, lol. I'm assuming via an ISO, but are there any region locks or other restrictions?

You'll have to import, which (aside from the cost) has no issues with compatibility or regional lockouts. Though you will have to have someone here covert your save file into a Japanese format. While I guess it's possible to download an ISO, we can't discuss that here, and regardless of that you'll need a new copy either physical or from JP PSNetwork in order to get the online activation code. You can't play online without it, and the online mode has been revamped a bit to include PSO-like perpetual lobbies to meet up in prior to joining games... which is nice.

PSP2 save backup utility (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187011&highlight=backup+utility) (for getting it off your PSP)

For the conversion, just ask around here. A few folk know how to do it and are kind enough to help out.

blace
Dec 6, 2011, 12:36 AM
An ISO would only keep you from playing online as it requires both a JP PSN account and a new copy of the game, either imported like the vasr majority or purchasing it gia JP PSN Store.

However, if you bought the game via import you can make it into an ISO and still play it online, but that's only after you register the code that came with the packaging.

As Crystal_Shard had said, you'll need to convert your save in order to play it and that's where I come in. However, I only have access to only the US and JP versions of the game, and if you're looking for EU to JP conversion you may be out luck. I can also PM you the method of converting your save as well, but you're better off getting a large portion of whats available in the western version of the game.

Somewhere on this board is a thread about using DLC content on the western version of the game, but you don't need to worry yourself with it until at least level 90.

Edit: got ninja posted, but that's to be expected from using a phone. Anyway what Sinue said is also true.

Reanim8ion
Dec 7, 2011, 06:56 PM
Any tips versus a cluster of mobs? Chaining I'm beginning to understand better (versus a single mob), but approaching a hoard of scythe-baring insects has to be a bit more simplistic than I've been handling them.

UPDATE: I guess I will stick to PSP2 for the time being.

Link1275
Dec 7, 2011, 07:03 PM
Are you talking about Ill Gills or Grass Assassins? If Ill Gills just dodge and look for an opening. If Grass Assassins just make sure to avoid there attacks and to try and get them one on one if they still give out lots of damage to you at your level for your difficulty rank.

Reanim8ion
Dec 7, 2011, 09:25 PM
I mean in general. Crowd control is not one of my strong suits, since I've only begun to chain properly in one-on-one situations.

Link1275
Dec 7, 2011, 10:58 PM
I was replying more to your remark about insects with scythes. However in general just avoid being outflanked and use weapons that will hit multiple enemies and stuff like that. Also if they're dealing out lots of damage hit and run or lure one out and kill it and then lure another out and kill it ans so forth and so forth until they're all dead.

Reanim8ion
Dec 8, 2011, 09:03 AM
Ah, yeah it was generally an attack from behind. Somehow they always manage to weasel their way behind me. Thank you for the information.

Other improvements will come through experience I'm sure, but maybe someone could provide me with a list of end-game weaponry and armor? I've read that the Tumikiri Hyori with an extend code (Incapacitation) is the best in regards to daggers, but what of twin sabers and twin handguns - as well as their PA counterparts? Also, am I overlooking another choice weapon class perhaps? I find particular interest in the ones listed above, but I will not limit myself to them if there are superior options. I know I have a long way to go before I can reach any of these, but an end-game goal compels me to level faster.

Kurosu
Dec 8, 2011, 12:23 PM
Hyakka Ryouran / Sange Yasha and Twin Cannon are good for twin saber (or Elysions if you're looking for something easy to get)
Twin Handgun, Guld Milla I guess
For spears, Cho Hee is pretty good with the 80% elemental attribute and easy to get

Reanim8ion
Dec 8, 2011, 12:27 PM
Are Dual Mistilteinn any good?

EDIT: Okay, I just read they're mainly for looks, however the Guld Milla and the Pandora Extreme [Pandora Extreme... that sounds amazing.] are better choices. Thank you for the information, Kurosu.

EDIT 2: Then again, maybe not just for looks. They have incredible de-buff capabilities, based upon what I am reading.

Link1275
Dec 8, 2011, 09:51 PM
Twin Handgun musts: Guld-Milla, Pandora Extreme, and Dual Mistiltenn Pandora Extreme drop off of S-Rank Sand Rappies and Dual Mistilteinn off of Orga Anastasis which is the rare version of Orga Angelus, and it is red to find it on MA Cross IV look for Lutus Jiggas instead of Svaltus at the start. In the open mission just spam and hope for the best.

Oh and I always put drain on twin handguns(on almost everything really).

Alisha
Dec 9, 2011, 10:17 AM
i must confess im a little confused as to why your even using twin handguns as VA. i rarely see Vanguards online that are any good use them. i guess they are useful if you are under leveled and dont want to approch a dangerous monster. if you want to use them tho i reccomend kannon quolia.

Reanim8ion
Dec 9, 2011, 12:22 PM
i must confess im a little confused as to why your even using twin handguns as VA. i rarely see Vanguards online that are any good use them. i guess they are useful if you are under leveled and dont want to approch a dangerous monster. if you want to use them tho i reccomend kannon quolia.

Well, what would be a better substitute? I'm assuming Twin Daggers for chain-building, and Twin Sabers for raw damage output (Blade Destruction)?

I simply like the way they are (or at least could be) utilized:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cGRBzN7UmQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cGRBzN7UmQ

I like range capability as well as the latter weapon classes, but if Twin Handguns are indeed "lame" then I will scrap the idea collectively.

Alisha
Dec 9, 2011, 06:54 PM
its not that twin handguns are lame but twin sabers are perfectly capable of chaining on their own. are you familliar with block canceling?

Tenebrion
Dec 9, 2011, 10:14 PM
I was curious as to how a Newman Vanguard would work out with using both melee and spells. Since they should have enough Tec to where they can still do some damage with a mag, wand or rod. Otherwise I think a good setup would be a mag for healing and a one-handed weapon since higher Tec does help how much you heal yourself for. And then the other spell slot could be for Deband to increase your damage output.. Plus it would help in multiplayer since I hardly ever saw people do much debuffing.

As far as the discussion on Forces go, I managed to get by with using an R-Mag (best one to use are the ones that fire 2 shots, one after the other) and a Wand.. And if I ever ran out of PP I'd switch to a throwing weapon so I could still stay at a distance and rebuild my energy. Granted you wont do as much damage as using a Rod would but you'll chain alot faster to make up for it. Only problem I've seen with this setup is that you don't have as much ACC so the R-Mag is less useful on high level enemies. Also I was using spells like Foie and Barta as my main spells to conserve my energy consumption. But you really wont have to worry as much about energy draining out when you switch to Infinity.

Alisha
Dec 10, 2011, 06:52 AM
that may work at low levels but by lvls 80-100 the hp of enemies will be too high. also tech mags are fail for dmg. you should only put techs that dont require tech on them.

TheAstarion
Dec 13, 2011, 09:58 AM
It's not a bad idea to have both Force and Vanguard levelled for a newman. In fact, most of my characters are aiming to become Vanguards in Infinity (I have two who've made it this far) with the "Ignite Arts" ability (+5 to attack arts, bullets and spells, but not to support). It gives the lv21 animations, cost and status effects of attack arts, which is cool, and does it for EVERY WEAPON YOU HAVE!

The only downsides to this are: You don't get the level 21 Shifta and Zalure that Forces get, but if you're a CAST you get your rank 5 buffs from your fluge anyway. You need to hit Vanguard level 50 to learn this ability, and to do that you need to have reincarnated either a lot of times, or once at level 200... and still you have to level your class A LOT. Lastly, it takes 7 ability slots, and as such is the most ability-intensive in the game... but level 50 classes have 12 slots to play with so just treat it as having 5 slots left, which I'm sure you can find something to do with.

I've done this with a Beast Vanguard (who has been Hunter) for the evasion, DPS and PP reduction of lv21 Blade Destruction, and with a Duman ranger/force... I couldn't decide what I liked best so I went supervanny and now he has lv25 spells in his right hand and lv25 bullets in his left! It rocks.

Also, one thing you might want to consider, in any version, is if you use a Bugei-Senba, which is amazing with extended Sangeyasha twin sabers, you also get a big accuracy bonus when you use a single Kamui dagger with a gun; I went from doing 200s per shot with my machinegun to doing 270s just by equipping the Kamui. It's a nice little damage booster when you're closing in on an enemy that's a ways away, and if you have Meseta Fever you can shoot for no PP cost either.

Reanim8ion
Dec 14, 2011, 01:18 PM
its not that twin handguns are lame but twin sabers are perfectly capable of chaining on their own. are you familliar with block canceling?

Block cancelling? Like an animation cancel in MvC or something? No, I wasn't aware of this.

EDIT: I've recently started another character geared towards a VAcaseal. The dodge does suffer greatly in comparison, but it does not seem like much of a big deal so long as I pay attention to what I am doing. I may be leaning towards the damage capability of this class.

EDIT 2: I managed to get my hands on a Bugei-Senba and an extended Sangeyasha from another friend of mine, whom I did not know who used to be an avid PSP2 player. I am loving this set.