PDA

View Full Version : PSP Anyone still plays this game?

Crazyleo
Dec 7, 2011, 09:19 AM
Just as the header states:

Comparing the two games, I find that the first game is of a better quality than the second.

If there was enough people, I might even set up a Groups page dedicated to the first PSP game.

Rozerem
Dec 30, 2011, 10:04 AM

Comparing the two games, I find that the first game is of a better quality than the second.

If there was enough people, I might even set up a Groups page dedicated to the first PSP game.
If your talking about psp1 then yes I have it and play it in my spare time.Bought the UMD about 6 months ago and currently a level 40 human Ranger.

Taijutsu-Joshua
Dec 30, 2011, 12:12 PM
The original Phantasy Star Portable? Don't have it, although I prefer the second over the first.

Rozerem
Dec 30, 2011, 12:54 PM
The original Phantasy Star Portable? Don't have it, although I prefer the second over the first.
Whatever works for you,but no offense intended I would have to say if you want a better look at the game in some areas it might be a good idea to play the first then the second and you may be able to see whats missing and the changes made in the game itself.I'm no game pro at this,but I do try to see both sides of things even if its just a gander.:nerd:

Crazyleo
Dec 31, 2011, 09:15 AM
I was really hyped when PSP:2 was first announced. However; when I played PSP:2, I noticed a lot of things that started to sour.

Then when I began playing PSP:1, I find myself totally turned off when it comes to PSP:2.

Code-red
Dec 31, 2011, 10:52 AM
I haven't played the first portable game yet since i started out playing phantasy star universe aoti. Then I got psp2 after getting a psp. the few things i noticed in the game was the removal of the weapon's photon charge bar on weapons and photon charges. And using the blue mp bar.

they dropped the amount of scape dolls you can carry with you to only one which like one extra life on a mission before you are set back to the ship.

ZER0 DX
Dec 31, 2011, 11:02 AM
I really cannot see how anyone can enjoy the first portable after playing PSP2(I)

Taijutsu-Joshua
Dec 31, 2011, 05:20 PM
Whatever works for you,but no offense intended I would have to say if you want a better look at the game in some areas it might be a good idea to play the first then the second and you may be able to see whats missing and the changes made in the game itself.I'm no game pro at this,but I do try to see both sides of things even if its just a gander.:nerd:

Oh, I didn't mean I didn't play it... Of course I did... TBH Im angry [SPOILER-BOX]Vivienne didn't recognize me in PSP2 after all the BS we went through in the first game...[/SPOILER-BOX]

raijz
Dec 31, 2011, 06:39 PM
I'm just got this a few days ago from my local gamestop but I haven't had the chance to play it yet. Skyrim is keeping me from picking up my psp again.

Taijutsu-Joshua
Jan 1, 2012, 12:42 AM
I'm just got this a few days ago from my local gamestop but I haven't had the chance to play it yet. Skyrim is keeping me from picking up my psp again.

Well go take an arrow to the knee and play your PSP.

Man, that is overused...

blace
Jan 1, 2012, 05:05 AM
I used to play Phantasy Star Portable, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

I'm glad I haven't played Skyrim yet, that meme really gets on my nerves. As for the game raijz, it's basically PSU pocket edition. More detail to the surroundings and characters, and hell even voices for the characters. Story is cheesy, just not as much as PSPo2 in how love and friendship dominates everything and will always prevail.

Nidramag
Jan 1, 2012, 08:49 AM
The first game I played extensively, over 200 hours, and to be honest I only have a little more than that racked up in PSP2:i.

Now, I hail from the original PSO series, so for me, PSU was 'alright', always just 'alright'. PSP1 is literally just a boxed up, shaved down version of PSU with a story tacked in for kicks. It's hardly even it's own game. (re-read this and it sounds a little harsh, so Imma clarify - I bought a PSP literally for this game and I played the shit out of it. I liked it a lot, just havent played it at all since I got the PSP2 demo)

PSZ was great, but had the unfortunate scenario of being cancerous from the start, due to the DS's limited functionality, nonetheless, me and my group all bought it and I did play this one over a hundred fifty hours as well. This was what I wanted, what I imagined though - PSO style gameplay with PA's built in as a secondary attack system for people that weren't forces (TP-Based). Dodge rolling was amazing, and this game was 100% original - two weapon types (and gunslashes still are, tmk) completely exclusive to this game - sadly, they screwed over combat with a broken chain system. I loved this one too, but it could have been better.

PSP2/i is the love child of PSZ and PSP1 - I love it. I seriously exploded kittens and rainbows when I first saw japanese gameplay. And to be honest, I think it's better than not only PSP1, but PSU as well. I just wish the online mode was a little better (and that effin' infinity was in *official* english, oh well). The chain system was almost completely fixed (sorry, forces...) and the type/skill/weapon system is a great customization. I still think it looks quite sexy for a PSP game, and Infinity fixed a lot of the problems that were in the original. It has two skill-based defensive options : Dodge rolling from PSZ and blocking from somehow no other game - I think these are vital to the core of the gameplay, I couldn't even play PSU again without these. Of everything, this one by FAR is my favorite since PSO, and, in Infinity it's worth mentioning they made swords not suck. THEY MADE SWORDS NOT SUCK!

Of course, I may be a little biased. On my one FOmar alone in PSO the time counter already stopped at 9999'99

+ADA+
Jan 1, 2012, 04:08 PM
I really cannot see how anyone can enjoy the first portable after playing PSP2(I)

I haven't played Phantasy Star portable 2: Infinity. If it's anything like Phantasy Star portable 2, though, I can't see how someone can enjoy playing as a ranger when you have to switch to a melee weapon to recharge your PP. I want to be able to "specialize" in a specific class type, not use melee weapons while using a force type to recharge PP. I didn't progress very far in Phantasy Star portable 2, but I have seen videos of level 200 characters preserving their PP after a few Ra-tech attacks.

However, I heard Phantasy Star portable 2: Infinity has better PP regeneration. There's only one problem....... It's not in English! I know there are guides, but it seem a bit frustrating to use them just to play a video game.

Rozerem
Jan 1, 2012, 04:31 PM
I haven't played Phantasy Star portable 2: Infinity. If it's anything like Phantasy Star portable 2, though, I can't see how someone can enjoy playing as a ranger when you have to switch to a melee weapon to recharge your PP. I want to be able to "specialize" in a specific class type, not use melee weapons while using a force type to recharge PP. I didn't progress very far in Phantasy Star portable 2, but I have seen videos of level 200 characters preserving their PP after a few Ra-tech attacks.

However, I heard Phantasy Star portable 2: Infinity has better PP regeneration. There's only one problem....... It's not in English! I know there are guides, but it seem a bit frustrating to use them just to play a video game.
I have a CAST ranger and ordered the full game UMD from Japan,I did notice not just better PP re-gen.,but better weapons too.Its almost like psp2,but it has far more levels and it looks more complete..when I get the UMD I may try and import my NA data to JP data.I have a friend who's helping me learn Japanese that way I will be more prepared in some cases,if and when the patch for psp2i is complete I still plan on playing the Japanese version since its the original or shall I say Vanilla?;-)

+ADA+
Jan 1, 2012, 04:36 PM

If interested, I still play Phantasy Star portable 1. However, I don't think the game supports WAN (wide area networks). If you want to play multiplayer, you'll have to use PS3 Ad-hoc party, or Link kai.

raijz
Jan 1, 2012, 11:12 PM
I used to play Phantasy Star Portable, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

I'm glad I haven't played Skyrim yet, that meme really gets on my nerves. As for the game raijz, it's basically PSU pocket edition. More detail to the surroundings and characters, and hell even voices for the characters. Story is cheesy, just not as much as PSPo2 in how love and friendship dominates everything and will always prevail.

I got the game just because of that. I got tired of forces being shit in pspo2. I made a FOnewearl and its pretty fun not having to worry about running out of pp or chaining when I'm casting.

johnwolf
Jan 4, 2012, 09:22 PM
i'm so glad i live under a rock first time i heard that joke about skyrim. if sega of america wasn't lazy they'd bring over PSP2I and do it right. no cuttin corners full dlc and full online support. i've never played PSU due to the fact Xbox is a scam (i don't hate the system just microsoft) nor PSP1 due to never finding it. I still wouldn't buy it if i did due to the fact i find the characters in PSP1 irritating in the demo. I find them slightly more barrable but it's enuff.

blace
Jan 5, 2012, 12:27 AM
if sega of america wasn't lazy they'd bring over PSP2I and do it right. no cuttin corners full dlc and full online support.

Copyright issues. 'Nuff said.

johnwolf
Jan 5, 2012, 05:48 AM
what copy right issues? seriously that sounds like a bad excuse to me. would sega sue it self? that sounds retarted. do you mean trademark issues? that make more sence. if they just call it Phantasy Star Portable infinity i'm sure that'll sort that out. not to mention it probly has a team of lawyers that sniff out loop holes. no it sounds fishy.

Mike
Jan 5, 2012, 06:02 AM
what copy right issues? seriously that sounds like a bad excuse to me. would sega sue it self? that sounds retarted. do you mean trademark issues? that make more sence. if they just call it Phantasy Star Portable infinity i'm sure that'll sort that out. not to mention it probly has a team of lawyers that sniff out loop holes. no it sounds fishy.
Sega only has permission to use all of the non-Sega related stuff in the game inside of Japan. They would need to relicense all the material to use it outside of Japan, maybe even more than once depending on the regions the game goes on sale in. This is where copyright issues come in to play.

Scale of Judgment
Jan 5, 2012, 11:45 AM

Last time they said screwed the rules about copyright...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzh7kMcuDYY

blace
Jan 5, 2012, 01:28 PM
Listen to Mike's statement and this bit of info.

Ever wonder why in Japan the Pizzashack weapons and items were named PizzaHut? They had the license to use their name for their version of the game, but they did not or have not recieved any for the international release.

There's also the whole licensing of Japan only products outside of Japan, such as CalorieMate. These licenses that PSPo2i has helps promote those products offering advertising in exchange for use of their products in game. Those products outside of Japan are either difficult to find or non existant and will not provide much income for the companies endorsed. Other japanese products include the whole Vocaloid costumes, weapons and posters and that they would need another set of licenses to use those outside of Japan.

You just can't make a game without the permissions of those involved, it's plagiarism if they tried selling the game in the international region without their respective input and gain of the product.

Scale of Judgment
Jan 5, 2012, 01:33 PM
Also keep in mind that we are talking about a different culture here. Overseas in Japan, video games is a catholic religion...Much like the anime industry over there. So for any real advertisements and endorsements to occur. You need to be in the anime or video game for any real impact. That is their specific demographic.