Gun96
Dec 10, 2011, 08:35 PM
I played PSOBB for the first time today...and i suck at it so badly XP ^^;

AlexCraig
Dec 10, 2011, 09:08 PM
You get better as you keep playing.

TrueChaos
Dec 11, 2011, 05:15 AM
once you get used to the game, how the battle system works and the AI limitations, you'll get better

Necha54
Dec 19, 2011, 08:53 PM
How different is It to episode 1 and 2 (other than being on pc)

Mystic_Nessly
Dec 23, 2011, 08:20 PM
How different is It to episode 1 and 2 (other than being on pc)
It's basically the same exact thing. The only thing different between Blue Burst and the Episode 1 and 2 console version is

Blue Burst now has:
-Episode 4 (stages, enemies)
-much more equipment (weapons, armor, shields, mags, units)
-faster loading times
-teams

RemiusTA
Dec 24, 2011, 12:40 AM
Blue Burst is better than Ep1&2 in every way except that Episode 2 is far, far, FAR uglier on Blue Burst, and a few effects aren't present. The console versions of PSOEp1&2 had some water distortion and a few neat lighting effects.

Phantasy Star Online has a learning curve, but you'll eventually get much better. It's the kind of game that'll probably be kicking your ass for a while until you learn some ways to avoid getting hit a bit.

Necha54
Dec 24, 2011, 10:03 AM
Ok so that awesome but my question is.... I know of the website the Phantasy star online private server and i was wondering if it worth down loading off that site?

chibipocky15
Dec 26, 2011, 03:24 PM
I dont understand how to do anything!
or how to use my techniques!
or any of that Dx
I'm new Dx

Neith
Dec 26, 2011, 06:12 PM
I dont understand how to do anything!
or how to use my techniques!
or any of that Dx
I'm new Dx

Go into Customize menu and add Techniques to your pallette / number key bar. You'll need to buy or find most techs.

Mitz
Dec 27, 2011, 04:56 AM
PSO is a very social game. Instead of trying to figure everything out yourself, try making some friends who can guide you in the right direction.

Explanation-wise, PSO is far behind other games of its age.

Necha54
Dec 27, 2011, 02:29 PM
I know BB is the "in" thing But.... All i have for right now is a gamecube so what would someone prefer broadband adapter or modem?

Genovesi
Dec 27, 2011, 02:31 PM
Yeah I just started yesterday and it's weird....I can hardly understand things but I still got thing down pretty well. Hit level 19 in three hours work -__-

Mitz
Dec 28, 2011, 07:32 AM
I know BB is the "in" thing But.... All i have for right now is a gamecube so what would someone prefer broadband adapter or modem?

How do you mean "all you have for right now"? PSOBB isn't a very intense game, graphically. Any semi decent PC/laptop that isn't 5 years old can run it.

But to answer your question: broadband adapter. Definitely.

Necha54
Dec 28, 2011, 08:20 AM
Well i dont ever have a pc Haha... I use my cell....
And Thats cool...

Slidikins
Dec 28, 2011, 09:40 AM
Any semi decent PC/laptop that isn't 5 years old can run it.

Unfortunately my ASUS 1215n doesn't make the cut there. Maybe with a bit of overclocking, but out of the box the game drops to about 15 fps on the lowest settings.

RemiusTA
Dec 28, 2011, 04:39 PM
PSO is a very social game. Instead of trying to figure everything out yourself, try making some friends who can guide you in the right direction.

Explanation-wise, PSO is far behind other games of its age.

Not really. It came with quite the massive manual on GCN/Xbox. Except Blue Burst had its manual on the main website in the form of comics and crap, and i guess people usually assume you know what you're doing already.

But yeah, Phantasy Star Online takes a good minute to learn everything. Playing at school with newcomers and friends, teaching them to play takes pretty much whole missions worth of explaining, and even then i'll completely miss something and get asked a question i have to explain. Despite you only really attacking with 3 buttons, the game is alot deeper than it looks when you're new.

I think it's better to just tell people the basics, and then let them figure the rest out for themselves. One of the most captivating parts of PSO to me (and everyone i've introduced them to) was actually EXPERIENCING the difficulty and mechanics of the game. Getting your ass kicked is part of that experience, it molds you to the game. Kind of like playing Super Mario Brothers or Megaman.

To the newcomer...accept help, but don't let people cheat you towards higher modes. Do your best to play with newcomers like yourself, not just players who have alts. I promise, you'll ruin the game that way. And probably just get more confused later.

Slidikins
Dec 28, 2011, 04:49 PM
One of the most captivating parts of PSO to me (and everyone i've introduced them to) was actually EXPERIENCING the difficulty and mechanics of the game. Getting your ass kicked is part of that experience, it molds you to the game.As I've mentioned before, my friend just started her gaming "career" with PSO Ep I & II, because PSOBB didn't run on my little netbook.

It took a fair number of Quests before she understood how her palette works, that Light/Heavy/Heavy kills things, and generally how to play. She felt pretty awesome about herself especially after surviving the Dragon. (Somehow I didn't survive due to being a Lv2-3 RAmarl focused on keeping her out of harms way.)

And then she hit the Caves :D

It was like the game flipped a switch on her and told her to step her game up from the very first room. It's been a decade (more, actually) since my first time stepping into the Caves, but it instantly reminded me of my difficulty with De Rol--which was the main reason I got my Dreamcast online way back when.

Mystic_Nessly
Dec 29, 2011, 09:54 AM
To the newcomer...accept help, but don't let people cheat you towards higher modes. Do your best to play with newcomers like yourself, not just players who have alts. I promise, you'll ruin the game that way. And probably just get more confused later.
That is so true.

To make the best out of learning the game, and overall enjoying it more, find your own equipment or trade with other newbies like yourself. You may get offered many free powerful items from other players, but early on (especially when you character lvl is within 1-80) accepting those items will make the game way too easy and quickly spoil the fun.

RemiusTA
Dec 30, 2011, 03:52 PM
As I've mentioned before, my friend just started her gaming "career" with PSO Ep I & II, because PSOBB didn't run on my little netbook.

It took a fair number of Quests before she understood how her palette works, that Light/Heavy/Heavy kills things, and generally how to play. She felt pretty awesome about herself especially after surviving the Dragon. (Somehow I didn't survive due to being a Lv2-3 RAmarl focused on keeping her out of harms way.)

And then she hit the Caves :D

It was like the game flipped a switch on her and told her to step her game up from the very first room. It's been a decade (more, actually) since my first time stepping into the Caves, but it instantly reminded me of my difficulty with De Rol--which was the main reason I got my Dreamcast online way back when.

You have no idea how many times i've let someone borrow my copy of EpI&II, and have them call me asking for assistance on De Rol Le.

He's the "That One Boss" of this game. On my first few playthroughs, especially on my Force, he continuously would cause me to just quit due to running out of enough money to fund items to combat him with.

Fayorei
Dec 31, 2011, 09:20 PM
You have no idea how many times i've let someone borrow my copy of EpI&II, and have them call me asking for assistance on De Rol Le.

He's the "That One Boss" of this game. On my first few playthroughs, especially on my Force, he continuously would cause me to just quit due to running out of enough money to fund items to combat him with.

I absolutely remember those days. A friend actually introduced me to PSO with the Gamecube version- and I ended up getting it myself because of it. I consistently got stuck on that boss for the longest time. My friend helped me out quite a bit with that. He doesn't really play any sort of PSO anymore, however.

+ADA+
Jan 1, 2012, 06:25 PM
I played PSOBB for the first time today...and i suck at it so badly XP ^^;

If you previously played Phantasy Star Universe, you'll find that it's predecessor is very different. For starters: Your MAG isn't a device that's used for synthesizing weapons, line shields, and other items. Instead, it's used to increase your stats based on ATP, ATA, DEF, and MIND.

In comparison to PSU, PSO can be a more challenging game because once you hit level 200, you will not have max stats. In order to achieve maximum potential with each character, you must use materials, units, and a MAG. On PSU, all you have to do is level your character, class, and GAS (more of an automatic system and you can fix your mistakes). Very simple, really.

There are countless reasons why it's a more challenging video game, but I won't go into details such as finding rares, Mukltiplayer differences, and so on.

Cayenne
Jan 3, 2012, 07:44 AM
I got back into it after playing PSP2i these past few days (annoying as hell boss fights), oh man I MISSED THIS GAME SO MUCH!

Stick with it man, this game grows on you. I will be on until PSO2 comes.

Kaji Motomiya
Jan 7, 2012, 03:02 PM
Oh man, I remember when I first played Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst...forgot my character's name, but she started a trend for me: robot girl wielding guns and only guns. RAcaseal was my first character class, and it stuck; I often shrunk her down to a kiddie size, and joined parties while carrying huge guns or a long rifle. So much fun...I miss this game so much...

Slidikins
Jan 9, 2012, 11:03 AM
Oh man, I remember when I first played Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst...forgot my character's name, but she started a trend for me: robot girl wielding guns and only guns. RAcaseal was my first character class, and it stuck; I often shrunk her down to a kiddie size, and joined parties while carrying huge guns or a long rifle. So much fun...I miss this game so much...

You gotta branch out, man. You get so much more out of the game if you play other classes. I'm not saying you should play all 12 classes but go through Normal/Hard as a Hunter and experience life on the frontlines with low ATA. Or suffer through the early levels of a Force where TP (yes, TP you darned RAcaseal) is your lifeline and enemy resistances mean something.

I'm not saying RAcaseals are bad, every class has its role, but you learn and appreciate the game so much more when you've tried it all. As someone playing a RAmar currently, I've grown jaded to the fact that my Special Attacks actually work. Give a HUmar a Frost Lockgun and see how many shots it takes to proc. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Wayu
Jan 9, 2012, 11:15 AM
If anyone needs help on BB on that server, just holler. A lv. 156 HUney and lv. 118 RAmarl should be able to assist.

-Wayu

Kaji Motomiya
Jan 9, 2012, 10:04 PM
You gotta branch out, man. You get so much more out of the game if you play other classes. I'm not saying you should play all 12 classes but go through Normal/Hard as a Hunter and experience life on the frontlines with low ATA. Or suffer through the early levels of a Force where TP (yes, TP you darned RAcaseal) is your lifeline and enemy resistances mean something.

I'm not saying RAcaseals are bad, every class has its role, but you learn and appreciate the game so much more when you've tried it all. As someone playing a RAmar currently, I've grown jaded to the fact that my Special Attacks actually work. Give a HUmar a Frost Lockgun and see how many shots it takes to proc. Go ahead, I'll wait.

lol I was actually a HUcast at one point. It was okay, but the problem was that my teammates were always Hunters. Remember that first boss, the dragon? We had to run and wait for that thing to come down. So I was like, "That's it. Next time, I'm coming back as my Ranger." Luck may have it, no one EVER changed their class among my circle of friends, so I played the awesome support who kept dealing damage when they couldn't. Of course, I had some techs like the healing one to continue supporting the front lines.

zoulen
Jan 13, 2012, 12:05 PM
I found getting used to the controls of BB being the only difficult thing to the game. I've played the GC version for years and converting from a Gamecube controller to a keyboard is just plain confusing especially when you have no experience in actual 3D computer gaming. I'd love to continue playing BB but I feel like I need one of those computer controller things to actually enjoy the game.