PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Convertibles? (type of car)

Roger Triton
Dec 11, 2011, 03:05 PM
I just love the Mazda Miata and Chrysler Sebring and Chrysler Plymouth Prowler (no longer in production, sadly).

Do you like them?
And if so, which is your favorite? Which is least favorite?

Pics so no one has to try remembering what they look like.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UUz2fxCekMc/TW2iNbcX7XI/AAAAAAAADY4/KcW6wdNJrVk/s1600/2011%2BMazda%2BMiata%2BMX-5%2BInteriour%2B4.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/12/mx5-superlight.jpg

http://chrysler2011-research.info/images/2011-chrysler-sebring-convertible-1.jpg

http://www.cardesignfocus.info/images/plymouth-prowler%20%281%29.jpg

Delete
Dec 11, 2011, 03:44 PM
I love me some fast cars, some Convertibles are cool like that Chrydler 2011. But I'm really picky about the car I wanna drive. It has to be sporty and probably 2 door ish.

This is a pic of the same car as mines right now except mines have the black racing stripes. These are the kinda cars I like. Wouldn't mine having a 3000gt or an eclispe either.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/splt1/Uploaded_files/StewZ/small/fall_1.jpg

Keilyn
Dec 11, 2011, 05:08 PM
I'm glad that I can just buy a small shitbox car and put in Twin Supercharges and make the modifications I need without taking it to some expensive garage and turning a shitbox into a car that can outrun cop cars.

Of course I am a fan of mini-vans because they help a lot in carrying large loads of things and I like being raised above the road as well. When you get in a small car you are quit low, near road-level and im not used to that anymore. I like a raised height to see the road clearer.

Sinue_v2
Dec 11, 2011, 09:53 PM
We got one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Sinue/100_1670.jpg

And honestly, I'm not really a fan of convertibles, at least from my experience with this one. It's drafty, hard to heat properly in the winter, has occasional issues with the mechanism to raise the top, and the roof takes a lot of maintenance to keep from splitting due to it's age. We had to get it replaced a few years ago when it split in the middle of winter and the back window started falling out - letting moisture in to the upholstery. We need a proper place to store it in the winter, but the garage is already full.

Oh, and speaking of winter, it's nigh undriveable for half the year and if you have to take it out - the convertible top doesn't inspire confidence of my safety in the case of a rollover or accident.

Naw, for me, I'll take luxury over speed any day.

[spoiler-box]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Sinue/100_1275.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Sinue/100_1274.jpg

My two Caddys. I had to sell the black one though. Stoopid fucking economy. :( [/spoiler-box]

Ark22
Dec 11, 2011, 10:09 PM
That car looks beast!

BIG OLAF
Dec 12, 2011, 12:30 AM
I never saw the point in fast cars, honestly. It just makes you pay more for insurance. On top of that, it's not like you can actually utilize the speed in one without, you know, getting pulled over by the police on most occasions.

As for convertibles, I'd rather not, simply because that's just one more thing to worry about breaking or screwing up. That, and I don't enjoy the wind whistling in my ears.

I'm happy with my piece-o-shit '94 Taurus, just because it runs fine. Looks a mess (I've never even washed it in the three years I've had it; never saw a point), but it's reliable.

Sinue_v2
Dec 12, 2011, 01:05 AM
I never saw the point in fast cars, honestly. It just makes you pay more for insurance. On top of that, it's not like you can actually utilize the speed in one without, you know, getting pulled over by the police on most occasions.

Speed isn't really the point, it's the acceleration. In hilly terrain like I live in, you don't have very much room to pass before you're coming up on the crest of a hill where you can't see what's coming at you in the other lane. It also comes in handy in big cities when you're coming off a 35mph exit ramp and need to get your shit in gear to secure a place in traffic that's already moving at 70+mph. Then again... that's also why it's tough to drive in the winter. You have to be very delicate with the accelerator to keep from popping your back tires loose and start fishtailing.

Also, cops aren't really much of an issue out where I live. You see far more DNR officers out here, and I've never had one of them pull me over. The state road along my stretch is mid-way between any decent towns that can spare traffic cops, and the the closest one that does only has one on the day-shift who flat out does not give a fuck. State boys are pretty scarce too until you start getting close to Huntington. It's a pretty fun road to drive along too. Very hilly and curvy, so your only real speeding issues will be inside tight curves and crossing the center line.

Not that I did that kind of thing for fun, but at the time I was habitually late getting to work. I just had fun while I was at it.

Delete
Dec 13, 2011, 01:49 AM

My Camaro is a lot faster than people realize and I do a lot of racing or ummm....driving really fast. My insurance is surprisingly low (roughly around a hundred bucks,just dropped from 150ish). If that still seems pricey, it's because I'm only 21 years old. And cops aren't really a problem....for the most part I know where they're gonna be 90% of the time. And if I do see one, I brake before they have time to see how fast I'm going.

amtalx
Dec 13, 2011, 12:19 PM
I've never been a fan of convertibles. They're impractical, noisy, and look ridiculous unless they are a hard-top or have the roof down.

On fast cars: They're fun. End of story. Different strokes for different folks, but plowing down the NJ turnpike at 130mph is pretty exhilarating.

Outrider
Dec 13, 2011, 12:35 PM
I've never been a fan of convertibles. They're impractical, noisy, and look ridiculous unless they are a hard-top or have the roof down.

On fast cars: They're fun. End of story. Different strokes for different folks, but plowing down the NJ turnpike at 130mph is pretty exhilarating.

Doing anything to get out of New Jersey as quickly as possible is exhilarating.

More on topic: I've never ridden in a convertible, but damn it all if it doesn't look like a ton of fun. Who wants to give me a ride?

Neith
Dec 13, 2011, 01:57 PM
http://www.ukdrifting.co.uk/linkpages/honda/s2000_drift.jpg

...I think I need a few minutes. Would love one of these as my next car, shame well-kept examples are so hard to come by.

Reason #1 for loving the S2000:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2pxB0qA1AA
The noise :wacko:

I'm actually looking into my next car at the minute; currently a toss up between a S2000, a Subaru Impreza WRX, a Mazda RX-8 or something similar. Wanting 200+ BHP and either RWD or 4WD (as opposed to the 140BHP FWD Celica I have now).

Roger Triton
Dec 14, 2011, 09:04 AM

If you took a ride in a quite convertible like the Miata you might chance your tune...

I bet you'd like the German Autobahn. You can hit 180 if your car doesn't have a governor.

amtalx
Dec 14, 2011, 01:41 PM
If you took a ride in a quite convertible like the Miata you might chance your tune...

I bet you'd like the German Autobahn. You can hit 180 if your car doesn't have a governor.
Not to besmirch Mazda (I like several of their cars), but the Miata is my least favorite car on the road, save for the Chrysler 300. :p

I'd love the Autobahn, but my little 328 would get smashed by all the Ferraris and Lamborghinis. Besides, the governor stops at 150. :/

Ketchup345
Dec 14, 2011, 02:22 PM
Convertibles I'm a bit torn on. I haven't driven one yet, but hear they don't have the performance of a hard top version, due to extra weight being needed to add in rigidity taken away by lack of roof. I've ridden in a few, which wasn't bad. I think I recall a Top Gear UK segment saying if you are going to buy a convertible, it is best to buy one that was designed as one from the start such as the Mazda MX-5/Miata, Porsche Boxster, Honda S2000, or Lotus Elise.

Having said that,if I was going to buy a car like a Ford Mustang in a warmer climate, I'd definitely go for the convertible. Also If I was somehow ever able to afford a real Aston Martin (read: not the Cygnet), I think I'd also go for the convertible there. Cars I'd intend for performance- if offered go with the hard top.

Chrysler Sebring

http://chrysler2011-research.info/images/2011-chrysler-sebring-convertible-1.jpgThe Chrysler Sebring wasn't bad for the first generation, maybe not exciting looking, but not ugly. The second generation was close enough to the first I didn't even realize there was a change until I looked it up on Wiki just now. The third generation, like you posted, especially with the hood strakes, I find horrible, especially when they first came out (I hated being in front of one and having to see those strakes in my rear view). They got better looking when they smoothed the hood out, and the 200 (current name) is also a bit better.

Not to besmirch Mazda (I like several of their cars), but the Miata is my least favorite car on the road, save for the Chrysler 300. :p Is your hate of the MX-5 because of the styling? From everything I've heard, they are brilliant to drive.

amtalx
Dec 14, 2011, 04:22 PM
Is your hate of the MX-5 because of the styling? From everything I've heard, they are brilliant to drive.
I hate almost all cars of the super-light coupe variety, but yes, I find Miatas to be particularly offensive. I can't quite describe it, but I've never been able to stand them (especially the first gen with those ridiculous door handles). I've never been particularly impressed with them on paper either. I've heard they are fun to drive, but only because you can floor it everywhere due to the relatively low top speed and weight. I can forgive aesthetic grievances for exceptional performance, but Miatas come up short. The only cars that mitigate their horrid looks with performance are Porsches and Corvettes IMO.

Ketchup345
Dec 14, 2011, 07:04 PM
I hate almost all cars of the super-light coupe variety, but yes, I find Miatas to be particularly offensive. I can't quite describe it, but I've never been able to stand them (especially the first gen with those ridiculous door handles). I've never been particularly impressed with them on paper either. I've heard they are fun to drive, but only because you can floor it everywhere due to the relatively low top speed and weight. I can forgive aesthetic grievances for exceptional performance, but Miatas come up short. The only cars that mitigate their horrid looks with performance are Porsches and Corvettes IMO.What part of the country are you in? That may explain a lot of it.

Where I am, power is often useless*. Put the gas pedal down and end up inside the car in front of you, we also get a lot of rain, and usually a decent amount of snow and ice- all bad when you have a lot of power/speed. We do have a lot of roads with moderate speed limits (somewhere in the 35-55 range, depending on the stretch) and a lot of twists and corners. About local traffic: Depending on the time of day and time of year, even on the highway it has taken me over an hour to travel 16 miles.

*Exceptions- You are first in line at a red light, or entering a highway with no one in front of you.

amtalx
Dec 14, 2011, 07:50 PM
What part of the country are you in? That may explain a lot of it.

Where I am, power is often useless*. Put the gas pedal down and end up inside the car in front of you, we also get a lot of rain, and usually a decent amount of snow and ice- all bad when you have a lot of power/speed. We do have a lot of roads with moderate speed limits (somewhere in the 35-55 range, depending on the stretch) and a lot of twists and corners. About local traffic: Depending on the time of day and time of year, even on the highway it has taken me over an hour to travel 16 miles.

*Exceptions- You are first in line at a red light, or entering a highway with no one in front of you.

I live just north of D.C. The drive from my house to my office is only a few miles, so my daily commute doesn't offer too many opportunities to really open it up. However, I do a lot of driving on the weekends, usually on I-95. People will get grumpy if you do anything less than 80mph in the left lane, and sometimes I'll approach 100mph if traffic permits. The posted speed limit is 65mph, but the cops don't really seem to care unless they see someone being unusually reckless.

A lot of the northeast corridor is good for putting cars to the test if you play your cards right (e.g. early morning hours ~2am and a radar detector won't hurt). Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I got up to 130mph on the NJ Turnpike before I punked out and backed off. :p It felt like the car was going to fly off into the sky. You really need a spoiler at those speeds...

Ketchup345
Dec 14, 2011, 08:20 PM
I live just north of D.C. The drive from my house to my office is only a few miles, so my daily commute doesn't offer too many opportunities to really open it up. However, I do a lot of driving on the weekends, usually on I-95. People will get grumpy if you do anything less than 80mph in the left lane, and sometimes I'll approach 100mph if traffic permits. The posted speed limit is 65mph, but the cops don't really seem to care unless they see someone being unusually reckless.

A lot of the northeast corridor is good for putting cars to the test if you play your cards right (e.g. early morning hours ~2am and a radar detector won't hurt). Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I got up to 130mph on the NJ Turnpike before I punked out and backed off. :p It felt like the car was going to fly off into the sky. You really need a spoiler at those speeds...Under those circumstances, I can see power being useful.

I'm farther northeast. Nights are the only times when there isn't much traffic, but then you get the road work during the summer meaning frequent lane closings with 45MPH limits. Posted limit is 55MPH. Also add in what I said about curving roads, very frequent on/off ramps, and many people who just drive in whatever lane they feel like.

Spring and Fall mean people heading north or south to their summer/winter homes, and fall brings leaf viewers. Summer brings people heading to upper New England, winter brings snow and ice and skiers/snowboarders heading north.

amtalx
Dec 14, 2011, 09:20 PM
Sounds like you need to move. :p