PDA

View Full Version : If I must pick one......

Alucard V
Dec 26, 2011, 04:43 PM
As someone who has missed out on the classics the first time around I'm pleased to have been given Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection which has Phantasy Star 2,3,and 4 on the dick at the start as well as the 1st as a unlockable Extra.

My only question is were to start?

Norco
Dec 27, 2011, 08:36 AM
All depends on how much you like classic RPGs really. If you are not that much into it then start with the fourth. If you are used to classic RPGs then I think you should start with the first just because it is the beginning of the story. Keep in mind that the first game require grinding and taking notes, looking at a guide from time to time can do wonders. I mainly look the guides for the maps.

Either way do not play the third game first, at least I think you should not.

Hope this helps, I am sure more will share their 5 cents soon.

Alucard V
Dec 27, 2011, 10:00 AM
So hold off on on the 3rd and unlock the 1st. Thank you for the insight.

I've played a few Final Fantasy games before. (Oldest one I beat was 6) I've had some experience with turn based battles. I'd would like to see the Phantasy Star system 1st hand tho.
If for nothing more then to see where the series has been.

Slidikins
Dec 27, 2011, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure how to go about unlocking #1, but I would simply start there. It's not the best but it is the first and will only get better from there. Definitely don't start on #3, many people see that one as the worst of the four... it's not a terrible game by any stretch but I agree with "hold off on on the 3rd and unlock the 1st.".

Unlike Final Fantasy the Phantasy Star story is continuous (for the most part) and intertwined. Playing them in order is recommended.

Alucard V
Dec 27, 2011, 12:07 PM
It seems simple enough to unlock .

Sonic 2: Defeat the first boss with two players
At least that what it said on Game FAQ. I just need to find player 2.

Norco
Dec 27, 2011, 12:20 PM
Here is one of the best advice I can give you in the beginning of the first game. There is an NPC who will heal you for free, be sure to make use of that and save A LOT ^_^

Alucard V
Dec 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
The choice is made!

Alis and company will journey forth to bring down a Tyrant and destroy the ultimate evil all to bring peace to the Algo system for a 1,000 years.

Zorafim
Jan 7, 2012, 02:38 AM
The games, barring 3, become less frustrating and more fun as the series goes on, along with being better at telling its story. If you have a ton of patience, and alot of motivation to get through all the games, then I suggest starting with 1, then 2, then 4 (3 is entirely skippable in terms of story).
If you aren't confident in your motivation, then I suggest just the opposite. Start with 4, then go backwards (again skipping 3). Either way, definitely wait until you play 2 to play 3.
Your comment about the oldest FF you've played being 6 kinda worries me. Let me put it to you this way. Imagine yourself now, just playing FF10 for the first time. Then you play FF6 right afterwards. That's about the same jump between playing PS4 and PS1, since PS4 was made around the time FF6 was, and PS1 was made about the same time FF1 was.

By the looks of it, you're going to play 1 first, then go up the list. If you ever get burnt out from playing 1, just skip to 4 to see the end goal. 4 is where everything just clicks. The others are pretty good, but 4 is just great.

suj3
Jan 7, 2012, 10:11 AM
As someone who has missed out on the classics the first time around I'm pleased to have been given Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection which has Phantasy Star 2,3,and 4 on the dick at the start as well as the 1st as a unlockable Extra.

My only question is were to start?

Start with the 1st, then the 2nd, skip the 3rd and blast into the 4th !

Norco
Jan 7, 2012, 01:52 PM
I started playing first game where I left off last time I played on the 360. According to the PSCave walkthrough I am either on part 6 or part 7 xD

In the past I have made it to part 17 on a emulator, but I deleted my save by accident and have therefore never played through the entire first game. However the parts I played I found really enjoyable ^_^

Alucard V
Jan 11, 2012, 07:03 PM
The games, barring 3, become less frustrating and more fun as the series goes on, along with being better at telling its story. If you have a ton of patience, and alot of motivation to get through all the games, then I suggest starting with 1, then 2, then 4 (3 is entirely skippable in terms of story).
If you aren't confident in your motivation, then I suggest just the opposite. Start with 4, then go backwards (again skipping 3). Either way, definitely wait until you play 2 to play 3.
Your comment about the oldest FF you've played being 6 kinda worries me. Let me put it to you this way. Imagine yourself now, just playing FF10 for the first time. Then you play FF6 right afterwards. That's about the same jump between playing PS4 and PS1, since PS4 was made around the time FF6 was, and PS1 was made about the same time FF1 was.

By the looks of it, you're going to play 1 first, then go up the list. If you ever get burnt out from playing 1, just skip to 4 to see the end goal. 4 is where everything just clicks. The others are pretty good, but 4 is just great.

It is a bit date but because of what little I played I know understand where the Cake Shop came from.

I started playing first game where I left off last time I played on the 360. According to the PSCave walkthrough I am either on part 6 or part 7 xD

In the past I have made it to part 17 on a emulator, but I deleted my save by accident and have therefore never played through the entire first game. However the parts I played I found really enjoyable ^_^

I made to the last floor of NAULA CAVE before running into a group of Were Bats 5 of them 50HP a peace. It didn't end well.....^^;

Norco
Jan 12, 2012, 02:57 AM
I have a quite boring but imo effective strategy. I grind fishmen near the first town, which gives decent amount of meseta and exp. With the help of that I buy decent armor before moving on, very time consuming but helps since it is close to free healing for the party.