PDA

View Full Version : What's the best game of all time?

Brave-Charm
Dec 31, 2011, 02:38 AM
People are telling me Skyrim is the best game, I feel that it's better ones out there.

Slidikins
Dec 31, 2011, 02:43 AM
Chess. Unless you meant video game, then I'd have to rethink it.

Blue-Hawk
Dec 31, 2011, 03:41 AM
There is no best of all time since time goes on and on. That and others will state their opinions on that matter. IE- I feel that the original Unreal fits that category. It's one of those games I HAVE to install on each of the pc's I own, as long as it still works, which it does even on Windows 7.

And speaking of which... <--- Goes off to save Na Pali for the 795'th time.

Edit- I forgot to state that the best game EVER is Pong. :P

Heskett
Dec 31, 2011, 03:50 AM
Oh, the best video game of all time is "insert Final Fantasy or Legend of Zelda title here".

Tetsaru
Dec 31, 2011, 03:56 AM
If we're going with video games, and I had to pick just one, I'd go with good ol' Super Mario Bros. for the NES. It set a lot of standards in quality for video games back then, helped make video games in general evolve into a popular entertainment medium during the 80's, and the fact that Mario is still widely known both as the most successful video game series ever AND as a recognizable fictional character to non-gamers is a testament to its lasting appeal.

Another close runner-up, and one of my personal favorites: Tetris. The granddaddy of all puzzle games, Tetris is a perfect example of a game that is "easy to learn, hard to master." It is very accessible and simplistic, and can be played by pretty much anyone who picks it up for a few minutes, but has enough challenge and difficulty in the long run to keep players hooked and try to see just how good they can get. Not to mention, there are tons of different spinoffs and versions of Tetris nowadays that the game continues to evolve and reinvent itself.

amtalx
Dec 31, 2011, 04:54 AM
You can have a favorite, but there will never be a 'best'.

My top three are the original Quake, Planescape: Torment, and Diablo II.

joefro
Dec 31, 2011, 05:27 AM
Halo 2 is my personal favorite, but I usually like to list my top 5 instead of just the one. (even though this top 5 list changes a lot, it's usually most of these games)

1. Halo 2
2. Demon's Souls
3. Mirror's Edge
4. BioShock
5. Prince of Persia (2008)

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Dec 31, 2011, 09:42 AM
You can have a favorite, but there will never be a 'best'.

My top three are the original Quake, Planescape: Torment, and Diablo II.

true, though there are definitely some really bad ones, but my 3 favorites (all tied) Tales of Symphonia, Shadow of the Colossus, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (maybe soon Skyward Sword and The Last Guardian will be up there too)

NoiseHERO
Dec 31, 2011, 10:09 AM
It'd be impossible to say whats the best.

Even with some stupid world wide voting gamefaqs tournament thingie It'd just lead to who likes something the most, which would be far from being the "best" but more like "most dickriders"

Even I can't name my one favorite game. But for some reason chrono trigger flies out the mouth.

NegaTsukasa
Dec 31, 2011, 12:26 PM
People say Skyrim because its under "fad-mode" right now. It'll pass. right now it's new and highly interactive. plus you can get some decent parodies from it as I've seen on the net.

And I agree with Amtalx and Rock Eastwood.

A game I consider very underrated that had an engaging and LOooooong story line was Wild Arms 3. that game I consider to be one of the best I've played in terms of adventure and plot. And it follows old school traditional Japanese RPG elements very well for a old-newish game made for PS2.

BIG OLAF
Dec 31, 2011, 01:00 PM
My absolute favorite game of all time was Diablo 2 (and the LoD expansion for it). Not sure if it's just nostalgia, the fact that I was so good at it, or a mixture of the two, but that's the one for me.

Zyrusticae
Dec 31, 2011, 01:32 PM
Even now, Skyrim is getting loads of mods. When the Creation Kit arrives, the mod scene is going to explode. Given how much mods changed even the core gameplay of Oblivion, I think it's fair to say modded Skyrim is going to blow everything else out of the water for a very, very long time.

However, I agree with Blue-Hawk in that "all-time" is exceptionally overbroad. "To date" would be far more reasonable, I would think.

FOkyasuta
Dec 31, 2011, 01:38 PM
At the moment in the Fighting Genre for me console wise... It would have to be a 3-way tie between, Capcom Vs. SNK Millenium Fight 2000, Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram.

amtalx
Dec 31, 2011, 03:56 PM
My absolute favorite game of all time was Diablo 2 (and the LoD expansion for it). Not sure if it's just nostalgia, the fact that I was so good at it, or a mixture of the two, but that's the one for me.

I think Diablo II is one of only a few games that escape the issue where nostalgia masks some serious problems (Resident Evil says hello). Diablo II is a decade old, but still has a significant online presence and support from Blizzard.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 31, 2011, 11:08 PM
People are telling me Skyrim is the best game, I feel that it's better ones out there.
Best game to them, right now, check back later -and not just after Skyrim's sequel.

*facts*

but he really said:

Battletoads

UnsentMadman
Jan 1, 2012, 05:35 AM
Skyrim is one of the better games I've played recently, but it's far from the best game ever made.

My personal favourites are Fallout and Planescape: Torment, well, pre-Ravel at least, as IMO the game unRavels a bit up until you reach the Fortress of Regrets, but I'm not ignorant enough to state as a fact that they're the best games of all time, as everyone has different tastes and criteria.

Retehi
Jan 1, 2012, 04:22 PM
Saints Row The Third while co-op'ing with someone.

Reksanden
Jan 1, 2012, 05:37 PM
I only got to play FFXI for a short amount of time, but I loved it. Other than that, I'd have to say the LoZ titles and the EO games. And Chrono Trigger and Cross, but if I keep mentioning games, the list'll go on and on.

Kent
Jan 1, 2012, 06:43 PM
Super Metroid.

There's really no other legitimate or thought-out answer.

Orange_Coconut
Jan 1, 2012, 07:20 PM
I love all kinds of games, but one that I find myself playing over and over again would be the original Yoshi's Island.

Keilyn
Jan 1, 2012, 09:58 PM
There are too many games I like.

So far the PC games I spend the most time in are:

~X3
~Civilization V
~Tropico IV
~PSU (during events)

I do play skyrim from time to time....sometimes DragonNest but I'm still building my fleet in X3. Then I hope to have some fun destroying some Terran Ships. ^_^

Sayara
Jan 1, 2012, 10:00 PM
Super Mario Brothers.

Cloudstrife xx
Jan 1, 2012, 10:38 PM
There is just too many good games out there to name one to top them all is kinda impossible.

Here is list of what i can remember through my years of playing games that have brought fun times and left there mark over time and cost me countless hours of playtime.

Sonic 3
Super Mario World
Mario 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3
Mario Kart (Snes)
F Zero X
1080 snowboarding
Goldeneye
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time
Crash Team Racing
Crash bandicoot 3
Ratchet and Clank
Final Fantasy Series some are better than other and with the few execptions i still love FF games
Tales of' Series again same as Final fantasy
Pokemon red blue yellow (Countless hours when i was younger) give me a ds or w/e id still play it such a good rpg
Burnout Takedown
Burnout Revenge
Metal Gear Solid 1 2
Timesplitters Future Perfect this game even today is still my fave all time Shooter nothing for me compares its fast paced crazy wacky and soo much fun oh yeah and i happen to be really dam good at it that helps.
Lost odessy
Blazblue CS
Unreal Tornament 3
GTA Vice City
Super Smash Bros Melee
Soul Cailbur 2
Tekken 2
Worms
Kingdom Hearts 2 just amazing.
SSX Tricky!
and how can i forget Phantasy Star Universe oh how i loathe you.

Im sure there are others but just to many that ive played to remember.

To me all of these games left theiir mark on me.

Taijutsu-Joshua
Jan 1, 2012, 11:00 PM
PS2-Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy XII, Kingdom Hearts 2...

That's all I got right now...