PDA

View Full Version : What will we do without PSO?

Necha54
Jan 21, 2012, 02:52 PM
20 Years from now, when and if PSO is exstinct, What will you miss the most?
For me i will miss the satisfaction of playing with other people and being able to enteract while playing the PSO experience. Also the happy feeling you feel when you see that little red box..... ^o^ there is no other feeling like it :)

This is post is just for fun....

Zantra
Jan 23, 2012, 05:43 AM
PSO is already extinct. The servers have been gone for over 6 years. The only way to play online, is illegally.

Necha54
Jan 23, 2012, 06:50 AM
Alright so how "illegal" are the servers, i mean compare it to j-walking, its illegal but hundreds of people do it. How many people have been put away for playing on a Pso server? And plus the pso2 and further Pso game will continue. Sega isnt that dumb to just "stop" making Phantasy star games. Just like square enix isnt gonna stop make FF or any other games anytime soon.

redbl0odx
Jan 23, 2012, 06:57 AM
PSO is already extinct. The servers have been gone for over 6 years. The only way to play online, is illegally.

Maybe I am wrong in my thinking. But it isn't really considered illegal. If there is no other way to play it. If the official servers were shut down, for both American and Japanese servers. Then it SHOULD be completely legal to bring up a server of your own for the players to enjoy, if the company themselves doesn't want to do it. I mean, can you think of one negative thing that would happen to sega/sonic team if more PSO server's existed?

Mike
Jan 23, 2012, 07:39 AM
But it isn't really considered illegal.
Just because no one takes action against them doesn't make them legal.

As for the topic at hand, moving on is a good thing. And chances are that if you want to play a 30 year old game (in 20 years), you'll probably find some enclave of maniacs dedicated to it. Provided there's any hardware left to play any of today's PC games around in 20 years.

zoulen
Jan 24, 2012, 04:50 AM
Private servers for any game is considered illegal, Sega just wont do anything because no one's making any real profit from the servers that could make a dent in the amount of money Sega has made from the game already. Since Sega is a mature company I cant see them being upset with the fact people still enjoy one of their titles considering they're not being forgotten.

Link1275
Jan 24, 2012, 12:49 PM
Since Sega is a mature company I cant see them being upset with the fact people still enjoy one of their titles considering they're not being forgotten.

Mature? Sega? That is one of the funniest things I've read in awhile. If sega was truly mature don't you think they would actually bother to do something with the US portion of the game?

"En"
Jan 24, 2012, 02:52 PM

The servers have been gone for four years, not six. The English servers shut down on March 31st, 2008. The Japanese servers didn't follow until 2011. And in spite of this, people still play on private servers. Though it may be illegal, they still exist. And even if they didn't, PC, Dreamcast, Xbox and GCN all provide offline mode, and the server setup for Blue Burst is still widely available. Do I see PSO going "extinct" anytime soon? No. Do I see private servers becoming space dust? Of course. But that's neither here, nor there, so for the topic at hand:

What would I miss the most? Red boxes, clearly. I became fanatical over red boxes in PSO, and that fanaticism continued through my PSP2 career. It didn't seem as magical in PSU, perhaps because anything that wasn't a board or a material was likely going to be shop fodder, but the sparkle was still there, I suppose. I was happy to see the red box screenshot pop up for PSO2. As I'll undoubtedly be playing it, I look forward to getting that warm, fuzzy, red box feeling back. Still, when I look at all of the iterations of red boxes that have appeared since PSO, though they may look better in general, nothing feels quite the same as seeing a red box plop on the ground in PSO.

Slidikins
Jan 24, 2012, 04:05 PM
If sega was truly mature don't you think they would actually bother to do something with the US portion of the game?I might be missing something, but what does that decision have to do with maturity?

Phantasy Star never had a huge US fanbase. The US players hacked PSO (PKs and corrupt characters aplenty), hacked PSU (to the point where PC/PS2 servers met an early death), pirated PS0 and PSPortable/2 (I'm assuming, everyone pirates on those)... and what? You expect them to keep shelling out their limited resources to please a small community that tends to break everything? Hell, the devoted members of the US/international fanbase play on PSUJP anyway, what's stopping them from playing PSO2 in Japanese?

Yes, I agree it sucks that there's no news on a US release afaik, but it's not a maturity issue. It's a business decision. Unless SEGA sees a potential profit worth the costs of localizing it, that decision isn't changing.

And even if they didn't, PC, Dreamcast, Xbox and GCN all provide offline mode, and the server setup for Blue Burst is still widely available.That server also caters to PSOPC, Dreamcast, Xbox, and GCN users, not just Blue Burst. Short of playing on a Wii, any version of PSO you own is still playable online in some capacity.

FOkyasuta
Jan 24, 2012, 04:08 PM
What would i do without PSO? I would wonder if there's another game that plays like it and play that. If there were such a thing, if not well... I could just make a Private BB Surver if i was desperate. And when all else fails, Just use teh good ol name of HUcast. Ah yeah....

I'll also miss the good ol times i had back online with the DC versions PSO. Newer people bash pso and its "lameness" but it was a step forward in Multiplayer Gameing and they'll never know theat. *Sniff* I somewhat already miss the memorys but oh well... Gotta keep going and learn from it ya know?

-HUkyasuto Mk.2
Purple Dragoon Editon

Link1275
Jan 24, 2012, 04:55 PM
I might be missing something, but what does that decision have to do with maturity?

Phantasy Star never had a huge US fanbase. The US players hacked PSO (PKs and corrupt characters aplenty), hacked PSU (to the point where PC/PS2 servers met an early death), pirated PS0 and PSPortable/2 (I'm assuming, everyone pirates on those)... and what? You expect them to keep shelling out their limited resources to please a small community that tends to break everything? Hell, the devoted members of the US/international fanbase play on PSUJP anyway, what's stopping them from playing PSO2 in Japanese?

Yes, I agree it sucks that there's no news on a US release afaik, but it's not a maturity issue. It's a business decision. Unless SEGA sees a potential profit worth the costs of localizing it, that decision isn't changing.

That server also caters to PSOPC, Dreamcast, Xbox, and GCN users, not just Blue Burst. Short of playing on a Wii, any version of PSO you own is still playable online in some capacity.
Sega didn't even give the western versions of PSO any good DL missions or events for PSO(from what I've heard anyways), and as far as I've heard PSO didn't suffer heavy piracy. So why didn't sega even advertise PSO in the west? They weren't even mature enough to give it a fighting chance stateside so when it failed they assumed the rest of the series wouldn't do well either(they've probably been screwing the west over on advertising since PS1).

zoulen
Jan 24, 2012, 05:23 PM
Sega didn't even give the western versions of PSO any good DL missions or events for PSO(from what I've heard anyways), and as far as I've heard PSO didn't suffer heavy piracy. So why didn't sega even advertise PSO in the west? They weren't even mature enough to give it a fighting chance stateside so when it failed they assumed the rest of the series wouldn't do well either(they've probably been screwing the west over on advertising since PS1).

That has nothing to do with a company being mature, or immature. :l

Link1275
Jan 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
That has nothing to do with a company being mature, or immature. :l
Alright then mind answering me this? Why is the only Sega game series that gets even close to major advertising in the US Sonic The Hedgehog? Also doesn't Sonic not sell well in Japan? If I recall correctly every Sega game gets lots of advertising in Japan except for maybe Sonic, while in the west the opposite is true not even the newer series/standalone games get very much if any advertising. Which would of course look like Sega is biased against the west(especially where they are) and correct me if I'm wrong, but if a company is biased against an entire culture/country it's an immature country.

Serephim
Jan 24, 2012, 08:56 PM
Alright then mind answering me this? Why is the only Sega game series that gets even close to major advertising in the US Sonic The Hedgehog?

Because Sonic is the only videogame character on this PLANET aside from Mario who can appear on a car insurance commercial without an explanation, and have nobody ask who or what he is.

PSP2i or AotI on the other hand? With those cheesy theme songs, extremely crude collaboration outfits and lolis all over the place? It'd instantly blush anyone interested in the game as soon as the commercial came on. Anyone NOT interested would instantly believe they were on the wrong channel.

Phantasy Star isn't "popular" in the west because Phantasy Star is no longer made for the west. PSO had a great balance of Western and Eastern influence. The art style was detailed, and the soundtrack was pretty much universally praised, the gameplay was somewhat believable. No swimming through the air or anything. Phantasy Star Universe on the other hand...it looked, sounded, and played like a hardcore anime feature.

Just think to yourself...what could they have possibly done to PSP2 Infinity to NOT make it look like an otaku game for fangirls? A pink wearing 10th grade short girl with a skirt, and a lolita fashioned dark haired girl with a big sword? Phantasy Star isn't advertised over here because it wouldn't appeal to anybody who would actually buy the game.

Long story short, you advertise to get NEW PEOPLE to buy your product. Everyone who would buy PSU or PSP2 is going to already know about it AND buy it when it becomes available. Paying tons of money for an on-air commercial would be a massive waste of money. Sega's best bet would be to net advertise to gamers directly, and hopefully let word of mouth carry it into the media itself.

zoulen
Jan 24, 2012, 09:06 PM
Ask your friends if they've ever played a Sonic game.
Now ask them if they've ever played a Phantasy Star game.

I don't know about your friends, but none of my friends ever heard of Phantasy Star Online aside from 3-4 people I introduced to the game. All of my friends know of Sonic.

NegaTsukasa
Jan 25, 2012, 10:02 AM
What would I do? probably what I'm doing now. just play solo offline or multi-play on the 1&2 P. for GC when I feel like it. Otherwise, I got a lot of other things on my plate of life I got to get taken care of.

I doubt this game will be thrown into oblivion. especially with the new PSO 2 coming out. things just keep leveling up (no pun intended) in the gaming industry when it comes to online play. I hope to see PSO be like .Hack// with the VR goggles, etc. considering it has very very similar elements and was even influenced from the show/game just a tad.

Necha54
Jan 25, 2012, 10:28 AM
Haha i love the idea of .hack\\
and have always dreamed of Pso becoming a virtual reality, but then i fear of the social compatibility with reality and how i would change ones social standards and views. Though not for all but for some.

Slidikins
Jan 25, 2012, 10:29 AM
I hope to see PSO be like .Hack// with the VR goggles, etc. considering it has very very similar elements and was even influenced from the show/game just a tad.It might be the other way around, PSO came out a full 2 years before .hack//SIGN and .hack//Infection showed up. A more immersive experience would be awesome, though, so long as it didn't involve falling into a coma.

Necha54
Jan 25, 2012, 01:14 PM
Yeah that'd be a good thing

chibiLegolas
Jan 25, 2012, 02:08 PM
What would I do without PSO? Play offline and feel very lonely. But I will have the memories....
PSO is so specail to me. The prefect genre & time in my life to have such a new concept online game.
Without PSO, I still have my new army of RAcaseal action figures to play with.
So many options and swappable parts. Eventually, I'd love to build the other classes, whenever I have the time.

"En"
Jan 26, 2012, 03:25 PM
It might be the other way around, PSO came out a full 2 years before .hack//SIGN and .hack//Infection showed up. A more immersive experience would be awesome, though, so long as it didn't involve falling into a coma.

Correct. CyberConnect2 cited Phantasy Star Online as one of the influences behind the .hack// series.

NegaTsukasa
Jan 26, 2012, 03:56 PM
Correct. CyberConnect2 cited Phantasy Star Online as one of the influences behind the .hack// series.

Ah, that's what it was. ok then. lol

Mystil
Jan 27, 2012, 12:20 PM
I've had about 5-6yrs without PSO.. the answer is..

Well I can't talk about it.