PDA

View Full Version : Cool secrets involving Octo Diablo's battle.

Chaos Rappy
Jan 28, 2012, 01:17 AM
When he lifts all his tentacles and crashes them down onto the ground (in his first phase), there is a way to easily avoid this attack without having to run around like a chicken with your head cut off to dodge it: simply run as close to the tentacle as possible (towards the center, of course, where Octo Diablo is), and the tentacle will not be able to hit you. For various reasons, I'm assuming this is because the tentacle is more like a "partisan" attack, and cannot hit things DIRECTLY in front of it, but has a wide area further away, where the tentacle touches the ground and causes damage.

Just had to say it somewhere where others might see it and try for themselves, I dunno, maybe it was just me, but the moment I noticed it happen, with no "miss" yet I was unscathed, I tried it about 5 times, all the same results. Hope this helps some of the newer people beat that pesky Octo Devil. ^_^

Also, if you open your item menu while you're being sucked into his mouth, before you're actually in it being chewed, you can be able to use Mates and stuff to heal yourself while he's gnawing on your skull. Just another neat little trick.

jonigavin
Jan 28, 2012, 01:30 AM
Hi, Chaos!
I'm game if it's okay to join you in the testing of your theory.. My humar human melee loves to run Wetlands! I will be on-line solo..

Ken & Robo
Jan 28, 2012, 01:33 AM
Yes, this trick DOES work. I've used it numerous times, and it does work EXCEPT if you are trying to get as close as possible to him at the inner corners of the battlefield. If you are standing at these corners, there is a chance you may actually get hit by the tentacle.

Chaos Rappy
Jan 28, 2012, 01:38 AM
Also added another thing I found about opening your item menu before being swallowed and being able to use Mates and stuff to heal yourself while he's chewing you. I'd like to note this also works with things like opening your menu before being hit by an Ice Trap and using Sol Atomizers to remove your freeze status, but those are usually difficult to avoid, due to the victim generally getting hit because they're not using Trap Visions and being caught offguard by the trap in the first place. <.<

The_Pup
Jan 28, 2012, 06:42 PM
Octo Diablo spits out Porrels. Totally serious.

Neolink868
Jan 28, 2012, 06:55 PM
Very interesting, I shall try this the next time I'm fighting him. I'll report back with my result :)

DoctorShanks
Jan 29, 2012, 05:27 PM

This. I never knew this until about 2 months ago when he spit his first Porell at me. At that time I had about 100 or so kills already. It friggin hurts too...

Chaos Rappy
Jan 31, 2012, 12:22 AM
I knew about the Porell since the beginning of the game. Not my FIRST time fighting him, but one of the fewer beginning ones, when I was working on my "10 field runs of Ozette" title. I think he only does it on the higher difficulties, but still, I agree it is painful, and if it doesn't cause you to flinch, it's even worse, as it careens back down for a second hit in the same spot it hit you (which means, while it's not difficult to avoid the second hit if you move out of the way, via walk/run or dodgeroll, it can still catch you offguard).

Daggart
Feb 13, 2012, 10:26 PM
Huh, interesting stuff there. A blind spot on the tentacle slam? That's silly.

I forgot about the pause thing during phase 2's suction attack too. Though with that I always avoided it easily by running into the edge of the arena. Specifically the area from the corners closest to Octo Diablo (That aren't on top of the boss itself) to... oh, about halfway from there to the boss. Makes it so you're "hooked" onto that spot while suction is going on.

DoctorShanks
Feb 13, 2012, 11:56 PM
If you charge a Photon Blast right as Octo Diablo sucks you in, the PB ring stays there forever and you don't get to use a PB :3

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1704&pictureid=22803

Nymeria
Feb 14, 2012, 10:41 AM

Umm... what are Porrels?
I'm a nubcakes. :3

Ken & Robo
Feb 14, 2012, 12:45 PM
The Porels are those red and blue frogs that spit purple blobs of poison. (The yellow ones would be Pomarrs)

And yes, Octo Diablo occasionally spits them at you, which can deal one or two hits of heavy damage.

Nymeria
Feb 14, 2012, 02:19 PM
The Porels are those red and blue frogs that spit purple blobs of poison. (The yellow ones would be Pomarrs)

And yes, Octo Diablo occasionally spits them at you, which can deal one or two hits of heavy damage.

Ohhhh okay, thanks for clearing that up! I never noticed Octo spitting those at me yet. Something to keep an eye out for I guess :D

Also, it's one more thing that he has in common with Yamatsukami from the Monster Hunter games... Yama barfs great thunderbugs at you sometimes, while Octo spits frogs. Interesting, since not many monsters do this sort of thing... with armies of smaller creatures living inside them waiting to be let out. :3