PDA

View Full Version : controller vs keyboard, which do most prefer

soulpimpwizzurd
Feb 2, 2012, 07:00 AM
so anybody who has played so far that has had the experience of playing with both mouse+awsd or controller, do you find it easier to play with one or the other, or are both the same? this is just for general controls. i'm gonna go ahead and assume tps mode is considerably more difficult on controller.

i remember monster hunter was pretty hard to play with mouse and keyboard. it was much easier with a controller. i'm wondering how it is for pso2.

AzureAsh
Feb 2, 2012, 07:06 AM
Honestly, I love playing the game on Mouse+Keyboard but I was able to play Monster Hunter Frontier fine with m+kb as well. :P

Spellbinder
Feb 2, 2012, 07:08 AM
I'll say keyboard, but my choice isn't available on this poll. I guess I'm an odd ball in how I use the keyboard.

Mracless
Feb 2, 2012, 07:44 AM
The keyboard and mouse controls are very good!

The only problem I have with them is surprisingly with ranger (and probably a bit with forces) trying to keep a flow of just attacks with a PA bound to shift + mouse button is a little bit awkward. Not terribly hard, but an alternative would be nice.

I expected I'd want to play Hunters with a controller, but I actually really like the keyboard and mouse controls for them. o.o

soulpimpwizzurd
Feb 2, 2012, 07:58 AM
I'll say keyboard, but my choice isn't available on this poll. I guess I'm an odd ball in how I use the keyboard.

you know psychology too well

now i'm incredibly agitated and want to know how you play

it reminds me of how to get people to listen to the music you're listening to

*casually holding a cd while looking at it and the cd booklet it comes with*

"hey man what cd is that" target
"oh it's nothing good i don't think you'd like them very much" psychology mastermind spellbinder
"no dude i might, just lemme listen to it a little"target

versus

"hey man check out this band i think they're awesome you should listen to them" regular joe
"eh maybe later" target

Angelo
Feb 2, 2012, 08:21 AM
Controller. Played a Hunter. It was an absolute nightmare trying to play HU with a keyboard. Joystick > WASD, also locking on felt incredibly awkward on a keyboard.

But as for RA... TPS is really better suited for a keyboard and mouse, in fact I'd go as far as to say that TPS was probably made with keyboard and mouse in mind, whereas lock-on is more geared towards controllers.

Zaix
Feb 2, 2012, 09:10 AM
Force is very satisfying for me on the keyboard and mouse. I like using TPS to aim some techs and I love having the techniques on the numbered keys, or in my case on my 17 button gaming mouse.

I think hunter is the only one I would use controller on. I didn't like it an awful lot on keyboard and mouse.

Spellbinder
Feb 2, 2012, 10:10 AM
you know psychology too well

now i'm incredibly agitated and want to know how you play

it reminds me of how to get people to listen to the music you're listening to

*casually holding a cd while looking at it and the cd booklet it comes with*

"hey man what cd is that" target
"oh it's nothing good i don't think you'd like them very much" psychology mastermind spellbinder
"no dude i might, just lemme listen to it a little"target

versus

"hey man check out this band i think they're awesome you should listen to them" regular joe
"eh maybe later" target

I apologize for that. :P

Since I've never played a computer game using WASD, I've been playing using the numpad for movement as I did in PSO:BB, PSU, and every other online game I've played. However, because of the lack of customization for camera rotation and my not using the mouse for games, I've been relying on the "lock on" button since it keeps the camera behind me. I'm actually a bit shocked since this is the first MMO I've played with no full keyboard options, so I sent in my little Japanese forms and have my fingers crossed they add more options to controls.

Poubelle
Feb 2, 2012, 10:40 AM
I usually like controller if there's ever an option, but for PSO2 I think I will use mouse/keyboard. I don't want to put myself at any kind of disadvantage and it just felt more efficient to use mouse/keyboard than my Logitech controller.

I'm playing a Force by the way

youcantcatchtheblue
Feb 2, 2012, 10:57 AM
I've been playing keyboard and mouse. At first I thought I would like controller better, but....

The default controller setup is kinda weird... The thumb-click for auto-run always makes me run into enemies when I'm trying to run away from them and the thumb-click for TPS-view always gets toggled by accident... I gave up after the first hour.

I might try it out again with some customization, but keyboard & mouse is a blast so I'm convinced it's the way to go.

Fayorei
Feb 2, 2012, 11:12 AM
It's not even an argument for me. Controller is superb. I use it like I played PSO, leave the keyboard on, WITH controller, so I can hit my hot keys whenever.

kyuuketsuki
Feb 2, 2012, 12:09 PM
It's not even an argument for me. Controller is superb. I use it like I played PSO, leave the keyboard on, WITH controller, so I can hit my hot keys whenever.
This. Using my Xbox 360 controller primarily with the option to use keyboard controls when necessary (hotkeys and shortcuts, mostly) is definitely the way to go. Only caveat is that, for doing TPS for RA, I'd probably want to change to the controller setup that uses the triggers for attacks rather than X and Y, since that seems like it'd be less awkward.

Yamishi
Feb 2, 2012, 01:47 PM
I used my controller almost exclusively. I found the mouse/keyboard combo worked better for TPS (the sensitivity on the analogue stick seemed too high).

Also, once I discovered D-pad left/right plus left trigger used items on my shortcut bar, I was set. :P

This. Using my Xbox 360 controller primarily with the option to use keyboard controls when necessary (hotkeys and shortcuts, mostly) is definitely the way to go. Only caveat is that, for doing TPS for RA, I'd probably want to change to the controller setup that uses the triggers for attacks rather than X and Y, since that seems like it'd be less awkward.

Also, this.

Using the right stick to look and the X/Y buttons to attack was tough for my poor thumb. :(

Worship
Feb 2, 2012, 01:49 PM
either works for me. I'll probably play with mouse + keyboard after seeing the item and ability bar layout.

Masterflower
Feb 2, 2012, 01:52 PM

This, I keep both next to me. But up to this point I still cant use a controller. But to be fair, its all about how well you know your controls. Some know the keyboard's layout without have to look at it like vice-verse with a controller. I got used to keyboard and mouse so its np to me at this point but would mostly prefer controller since I know it like the back of my hand.

The controller setup has been the exact same since the release of PSO on consoles lol. I prefer the default since alot of third person games use the same control scheme.

Emmie
Feb 2, 2012, 05:00 PM
Controller.

It just doesn't feel like Phantasy Star when I use a keyboard+mouse. I find that controllers are more comfortable too.

Mike
Feb 2, 2012, 07:54 PM
I used my controller almost exclusively. I found the mouse/keyboard combo worked better for TPS
Yes yes and yes. Once we can reassign keys, I'm going to flip the functions of the shift key and the mouse-wheel-press. I think that'll make it a bit easier to get to my rear PAs as a ranger in TPS mode.

Angelo
Feb 2, 2012, 08:02 PM
I usually like controller if there's ever an option, but for PSO2 I think I will use mouse/keyboard. I don't want to put myself at any kind of disadvantage and it just felt more efficient to use mouse/keyboard than my Logitech controller.

I'm playing a Force by the way

I only played FO to 10 but I will say this; If you're going to play a FO that specializes in charge techs, controller is the way to go since intricate joystick positioning and lock-on is a big advantage while charging. If you're going to play a FO that specializes in rapid firing uncharged techs, keyboard and mouse in TPS mode is the way to go.

In all fairness, the controller is actually an advantage in terms of mobility and 'twitch' reaction. The only time I feel keyboard and mouse actually shines is in TPS mode. Keyboard may also function better when there are more techs and skills available in the 1~9 shortcuts, but seeing as I have the 360 chatpad, this is not really going to be an issue.

Crystal_Shard
Feb 2, 2012, 08:17 PM
I voted "both" but the truth is more like it doesn't matter too much. Though I haven't been able to get my gamepad working yet, I'm predisposed to using a gamepad after years of playing Phantasy Star on them, but the mouse keyboard combo has been making inroads, especially after seeing a mouse custom built for MMOs.

paracelsus
Feb 2, 2012, 08:25 PM
Can you attach the keypad to the Xbox360 controller and use it as a replacement to a keyboard?

Angelo
Feb 2, 2012, 08:28 PM
Can you attach the keypad to the Xbox360 controller and use it as a replacement to a keyboard?

Yes, but it requires downloading unofficial drivers.

Crysteon
Feb 2, 2012, 09:46 PM
Controller is way more comfortable to me (it was kind of a pain to configure it "a la Xbox", though)...I didnt enjoy playing Hunter with my keyboard+mouse. I ended up with numb fingers after a while, lol...and I find the camera sensibility sorta erratic at times D:

PrinceBrightstar
Feb 2, 2012, 09:54 PM
I do a combination of controller in left hand, mouse in right. That way I have analog movements with shooter like aiming for my RAcast.

moorebounce
Feb 2, 2012, 10:01 PM
I like the keyboard and controller setup used on PSO Blue Burst. A controller only has so many buttons and having a keyboard helps if you like playing with Forces.

Itsuki
Feb 3, 2012, 06:38 PM
I will add my input, as I have played pretty extensively in both setups with both ranger and force:

When actually in missions, both are pretty equal and have their positives and negatives. The lack of analog turning with keyboard can make locking on and adjusting difficult, and overall, i find the thirdperson shooter mode to be similar to the first person shooter mode in PSU (Not something you would stay in, but something you switch to first certain enemies and situations), so the advantage to that is not really negligible. Playing efficiently uses a lot of tapping, which can be uncomfortable on a mouse, but its not really impairing or anything. On keyboard you also have all of the numbered hotkeys, which can enable much quicker item use.

When navigating menus, I am actually able to navigate menus faster with the controller than I am with the mouse. The menus are very intuitively laid out for controller use. But they aren't as much for mouse use. Also, the switching between cursor mode and looking mode (by pressing T) I found to be cumbersome. But it allowed you to do some things quicker, such as inviting to party by clicking on people. Where as with a controller, you have to open up the list of players in the lobby, then scroll down till you find who you're looking for, and invite them that way.

I found in the end, I used both mouse and controller. I kept it so you had to press c to start chatting, so it left me the option of using some of the expanding keyboard/mouse controls.

BahnKnakyu
Feb 3, 2012, 10:16 PM
Depends on the class. With Hunter it's controller all the way. Feels very DMC-esque. With RA I'm leaning towards TPS mode. I do wish the game lets you run one way and look the other way while running, but I think that might be polished in time.

I find FO on controller really awkward, mainly because I have issues charging up techs with my thumb and then using the rest of my thumb to press the other buttons while charging. I might have to use a secondary layout to allow me to "hold" a button down.

Angelo
Feb 4, 2012, 05:27 AM
I know I said this in another thread... but...

http://media.techeblog.com/images/qwerty-xbox-360.jpg

This thing has been such a godsend in this game.

Cranberry
Feb 4, 2012, 02:59 PM
I am not very good at all playing on a keyboard. I'm also on a laptop witha touch pad rather than a mouse. I pretty much need a controller to play well. I will want to configure the controller as I didn't like the defaults it did.

Basically I want controller for playing, but the keyboard available so I can tap numbers for monomates and stuff.

kyuuketsuki
Feb 4, 2012, 03:36 PM

I haven't actually used it, but that just seems incredibly awkward and unwieldily to me. Not to mention, why type on a crappy little smartphone-sized keyboard when I've got the full-sized one right in front of me?

Although, it would be nice being able to hit my hot-bar skills without having to move my hands from the controller, hmm...

landman
Feb 4, 2012, 04:07 PM
I'm a pro-pad gamer, but after configuring the buttons to play ranger's TPS with my gamepad, I switched to keyboard and mouse, it plays just like a shooter game, so KB+mouse is the perfect choice, gamepad control may need some tweaking, after all many console shooters are fully enjoyable with a pad.

Hunter: pad
Force: pad (I've played force the same way as my hunter, only comboing techs with melee, for me it feels strange to play in TPS mode)

Stagnant
Feb 4, 2012, 04:20 PM
I do a combination of controller in left hand, mouse in right. That way I have analog movements with shooter like aiming for my RAcast.

lol'd.

Angelo
Feb 4, 2012, 06:38 PM
Although, it would be nice being able to hit my hot-bar skills without having to move my hands from the controller, hmm...

That's what I mainly use it for. Also for little shortcuts like hitting 'M' to toggle the map.

Masterflower
Feb 4, 2012, 07:43 PM

lol'd.

This is nothing to laugh about, This is how I play Oblivion on the PC lmao. +1 For Jonathan XD

ShinMaruku
Feb 4, 2012, 07:52 PM
I use both.

Angelo
Feb 4, 2012, 08:12 PM

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/12/g13_angle.jpg

You're welcome.

moorebounce
Feb 4, 2012, 09:00 PM

I had a friend tell me about doing this setup. lol I just didn't want to break down and buy the keypad. Now if it cost like $5 I would have got one to use that setup. Maybe for PSO2 I might break down and do it.

Angelo
Feb 4, 2012, 09:18 PM
I had a friend tell me about doing this setup. lol I just didn't want to break down and buy the keypad. Now if it cost like $5 I would have got one to use that setup. Maybe for PSO2 I might break down and do it.

I got mine for like $15

moorebounce
Feb 4, 2012, 09:20 PM
I got mine for like $15

lol I'm cheap. I can get a regular keyboard for $5 so I'm too cheap to pay anything higher than that. I see they're about $15 to $16 on ebay.

Noblewine
Feb 4, 2012, 09:34 PM
I'll try and use both but I'm probably going to settle with using a controller.

Dinosaur
Feb 4, 2012, 09:52 PM
After playing both control schemes, I feel that Hunter plays easier on controller and that ranger/force highly benefit from TPS mode(which caters mainly toward KB/mouse).

Chaining aerial mirage escapes can be easier on pad though.