PDA

View Full Version : Weapon limitations?

Hatemachine
Feb 6, 2012, 03:09 AM
Just wondering what kinds of limitations each class has for weapons and whatever is used in place of if not a revival of the weapons limiting system from PSU.

Mostly focused on wondering about forces and the weaponry they have available to them as a class, wouldn't mind remaking a character type Akin to an Acrotecher from PSU, loved being able to use whips and single sabers and mech guns while keeping a party well healed and buffed.

so in short is it possible to recreate the versatility I had as an acrotecher in PSU for PSO2?

Dinosaur
Feb 6, 2012, 03:42 AM
If sub-classes exist, then yes. And I'm pretty sure they've said something about sub-classes a very long time ago. The way the game's numbers work makes perfect sense with a sub-class system in place.

Eclipse5632
Feb 6, 2012, 11:01 AM
Nothing has been said officially about class weapon proficiencies.

Astarin
Feb 6, 2012, 01:17 PM
Are there any existing restrictions, for classes and weapon types? Can Hunters use Rods, for example? Forces with Swords? I haven't seen any clear info on that yet.

WBMike
Feb 6, 2012, 01:24 PM
This is the only current information about that:

Hunters can use Swords, Wired Lance., and GunSlash [and another weapon to be revealed in the future]

Rangers can use Assault Rifles, and Gunslash

Forces can use Rods, and Gunslash.

It was discussed a while back before the first alpha test.

NoiseHERO
Feb 6, 2012, 03:18 PM
^If that's what they said I hope they're adding way more weapons than that. D:

Or more interesting...

Subclasses having their own specific unique weapons... >D

Kinda like how they tried to make double saber unique to fighgunner. but the weapon got too popular, and everyone was swinging that thing around and whatever class they wanted.

WBMike
Feb 6, 2012, 03:29 PM
^If that's what they said I hope they're adding way more weapons than that. D:

Yes Sakai said he will add more weapons in the future, he hasn't revealed what they are yet except for that partizan looking weapon type.

Vashyron
Feb 6, 2012, 03:33 PM
At one point when I looked at the more detailed 7* Wired Lance stats, it adds 50 Tech Attack which.... yeah. (This was from the default weapon's stats, it had no specials attached to it and another I checked.)

Also the コートエッジ 7* Sword added 100 Tech.

This just might be an error but I kinda doubt it, looks like it's foreshadowing that in the future other classes will be able to equip techs/weapons from outside their class.
Perhaps by skill points or the whole subclass thing that vanished.

Slidikins
Feb 6, 2012, 03:34 PM
I haven't played a1 or a2, but considering that they have skill trees (like every other MMO) I would just toss proficiency stuff in there. Give everyone similar weapons as PSO, then let people use skill points if they want to branch out. HUcaseal that thinks Handguns are a waste of their ATA? Drop some points into Rifles.

I dunno, just speculating. But if you're going to have skills for everything else, let the player decide what they want.

Vashyron
Feb 6, 2012, 04:24 PM
Also the コートエッジ 7* Sword added 100 Tech.

Just adding here that it even required Tech Attack to equip!

DoubleCannon
Feb 6, 2012, 09:26 PM
Just adding here that it even required Tech Attack to equip!

wth was it.. elysion? lol

Vashyron
Feb 7, 2012, 03:22 AM
wth was it.. elysion? lol

Reminded me of it too, but no it's not it.

This is it: コートエッジ (Cortege?)
[spoiler-box]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/2nd%20Alpha/pso20120203_104546_052.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Eclipse5632
Feb 7, 2012, 10:13 AM
This is it: コートエッジ (Cortege?)
I always thought it was Coat Edge, but yours isn't necessarily incorrect. Could also be Court Edge.

Slidikins
Feb 7, 2012, 10:14 AM
I would translate it as Court Edge.

Hatemachine
Feb 7, 2012, 11:23 AM
Lets try this then, did anyone from the Alpha test make a force that could use the whip blade?, or a ranger that got to equip a Large sword? no one tested or equipped alternate weapons on differing classes?

The tech gear requirement for the particular blade certainly makes for a hopeful outlook though, so yeah thanks folks.

ZER0 DX
Feb 7, 2012, 11:43 AM
コートエッジ = Ko-toejji

Coat Edge would be the most accurate.

Slidikins
Feb 7, 2012, 11:50 AM
Coat Edge would be the most accurate.
The issue is that Coat and Court are both コート in katakana... but "Court Swords" exist in the real world, whereas I can't for the life of me figure out what a "Coat Sword" is.

kyuuketsuki
Feb 7, 2012, 12:29 PM
Lets try this then, did anyone from the Alpha test make a force that could use the whip blade?, or a ranger that got to equip a Large sword? no one tested or equipped alternate weapons on differing classes?
From what I could tell, FOs could *not* equip anything besides the Rods and Gunslashes, RAs could only equip Rifles and Gunslashes, and HUs could only eqiup Swords, Gunslashes, and Whips. It seemed to be due to class limitations, not something due to not meeting stat requirements. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

You have to remember: there are going to be a lot more weapon types in the final game, there will be some sort of subclass system, and all sort of other things could change between now and release. Not something to get worked up about, IMO.

Hatemachine
Feb 9, 2012, 03:43 PM
Rockin, just seemed odd getting vague answers so I rephrased the question to something simpler is all, besides between now and hopeful release stateside this year ANYTHING can change, anyway thanks folks.

SilverFoxR
Feb 12, 2012, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about weapons being limited to classes. Since the game allows you to make 1 character that can switch between all 3 classes, you'll have all weapon options open to you one way or another.

So, even if your character's Hunter form can't use a Rifle, you can just go back to town, switch over to a Ranger and use it (assuming you have the level/stats for it).

Kobojo
Feb 26, 2012, 01:09 AM
So are we saying that Casts may be able to use tech's in PSO2, with the addition of subclasses?

•Col•
Feb 26, 2012, 01:58 AM
So are we saying that Casts may be able to use tech's in PSO2, with the addition of subclasses?

"May".....? Where you been, man?

Yes Casts are able to use techs in PSO2. And yes there are going to be subclasses in the full version of the game.

Mike
Feb 26, 2012, 01:59 AM
So are we saying that Casts may be able to use techs in PSO2, with the addition of subclasses?
There doesn't need to be subclasses for casts to use techs. As long as you're a force, you can use techs.

Omega-z
Feb 26, 2012, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about weapons being limited to classes. Since the game allows you to make 1 character that can switch between all 3 classes, you'll have all weapon options open to you one way or another.

So, even if your character's Hunter form can't use a Rifle, you can just go back to town, switch over to a Ranger and use it (assuming you have the level/stats for it).

I don't remember hearing or seeing anything that allowed you to do that, That wasn't a very good mechanic in PSU. I think your thinking that once your high enough in points..etc. you can put on a Sub-class that could add new weapons (rifle..doubtful on that weapon) and we don't know if that can be changed either. But Main classes don't change from the get go....sorry:-?, Unless made a new character. I'm curious to know why you would say that?

Vashyron
Feb 26, 2012, 09:11 AM
You can change classes like in PSU in PSO2, just in the Alpha you couldn't.

moorebounce
Feb 26, 2012, 10:49 AM
I don't like every character being able to use all the weapon types. That goes against how PSO started out. Not being able to use every weapon helps diversify your party. Your benefits were greater having a more diversified team in PSO and they should go back to that. Whats the use of having all the races if everybody can do everything and use everything. You like to use certain weapons then you need to be that race and class to use them period.

I'm just hoping they mentioned sub-classes just to see how people felt about them. If they do include them I hope sub-classes are too weak where people won't bother with them.

Jinketsu
Feb 26, 2012, 11:23 AM
If someone is going to play all three main types of classes, why not leave them available to a single character? I don't see the difference, other than the rest of us seeing the same face.

And those of us who'd rather focus mainly on a single class type per character will do just that.

moorebounce
Feb 26, 2012, 12:00 PM
If someone is going to play all three main types of classes, why not leave them available to a single character? I don't see the difference, other than the rest of us seeing the same face.

And those of us who'd rather focus mainly on a single class type per character will do just that.

Well it kind of defeats the whole purpose of having different classes don't you think? Why would you need teams other than to gang up on bosses? Thats no fun. PSO was built on building teamwork.

I thought of a happy medium. You should only be able to use sub-classes while playing solo. Then I wouldn't have an issue with it. It's kind of like a musician being able to play all the instruments in the studio but when you go live you'll need a band because you can only play one instrument at a time.

SEAL Team saying - Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds.

Andrew Carnegie - Teamwork is the ability to work together toward a common vision. The ability to direct individual accomplishments toward organizational objectives. It is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results.

Vincent Lombardi - The achievements of an organization are the results of the combined effort of each individual.

Babe Ruth - The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club won't be worth a dime.

Michael Jordan - Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

Vince Lombardi - Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

NoiseHERO
Feb 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
That's why there's multiple races that benefit from the class you chose. Only human was flexible to choose every class. The other races sucked outside their obvious pool of classes.

As for the whole teamwork thing, that's completely irrelevant. Being able to change to whatever class you want has nothing to do with the importance of that Classes role.

Just because I'm usually a force, and I decide to go ranger. Doesn't mean I'm useless to my party because I'm not a force anymore. It just means that I'm contributing to my party the way a ranger would now.

Not to mention that there's disadvantages to jumping to a new class out of the blue when you're already well seasoned in another class. It was hell JUST BECOMING a force out of nowhere if you didn't grow your character as one.

That plus what I said about races... There's not really any ups or downs to it... Besides... We were able to choose every gender/race/class combination from the start by now anyway.

The REAL complaint should be how UNIQUE all the RACES should actually be.

Ark22
Feb 26, 2012, 04:36 PM
PSU was super easy because everyone could be everything which destroyed the game. I do not want to go back to those dark days man.

NoiseHERO
Feb 26, 2012, 05:22 PM
PSU was super easy because everyone could be everything which destroyed the game. I do not want to go back to those dark days man.

No it was "super easy" because people complained till they nerfed the hell out of the game. To the point where all you had to do was spamming PAs.

You guys are basically saying being able to choose any class makes you over powered. Which would mean that you're "over powered" from the second you made you first choice... That makes NO sense. D:

Now if we're talking about PSP2's class system where there was basically NO CLASSES at all, since every class did the same shit, and all you had to do was pick twin sabers and spam blade destruction. THAT'S a completely different story, that you'd have every reason to complain about.

Being able to swap classes on the fly in no way messes up teamwork, or makes you over powered. You still have make progress using the class, and it's not like you're going to change classes 10 times during a mission.

Last but not least, swapping classes in PSO2 makes you level 1 again, (Or the level you last were on that class) So basically it'd be like a starting a completely new character over, without having to make a new character. And to be more exact there is no charater levels, but ONLY class levels.

OKAY?!

It REALLY just sounds like people are spitting "PSU'S IDEAS SUCKED, NOT PSO ENOUGH" left and right again without even remembering how they worked. Or the REAL reasons PSU failed which gameplay was the LEAST of it's problems...

Ark22
Feb 26, 2012, 09:06 PM
All I remember was everyone could use techs and be beast. You could honestly be a one man army if you're good enough.

moorebounce
Feb 26, 2012, 10:04 PM
The REAL complaint should be how UNIQUE all the RACES should actually be.

That is our complaint about PSU. The difference in classes and races in PSO was just fine. The weapon limitations were fine in PSO too.

It REALLY just sounds like people are spitting "PSU'S IDEAS SUCKED, NOT PSO ENOUGH" left and right again without even remembering how they worked. Or the REAL reasons PSU failed which gameplay was the LEAST of it's problems...

PSU had some good but it was mostly bad. Really bad and Sega knows it thank goodness. Sega ended up with PSU because they were listening to the wrong people and they wanted to distance the game from Yuji Naka when he left and it backfired on them.

NoiseHERO
Feb 26, 2012, 11:35 PM
All I remember was everyone could use techs and be beast. You could honestly be a one man army if you're good enough.

TECHs sucked compared to melee endgame. and not "everyone" just anyone who was the right class that didn't have sucky techs. The Jabroga/majarra spammers were the easy way out one man army losers. All of this because the game was nerfed into cotton balls in general, not because you could jump classes at will. Which actually GIMPED you because you would run into a mission you'd normally be able to do at your level, but being a fresh class you may as well be 20 levels weaker.

That is our complaint about PSU. The difference in classes and races in PSO was just fine. The weapon limitations were fine in PSO too.

Fine, but from the MANY stories I've heard PSO wasn't so perfect either in terms of having lame balance and over powered weapons/classes better than others by the time you reached end game content. Even AFTER the many fixes/tweaks a certain private server apparently made.

PSU had some good but it was mostly bad. Really bad and Sega knows it thank goodness. Sega ended up with PSU because they were listening to the wrong people and they wanted to distance the game from Yuji Naka when he left and it backfired on them.

PSU had a lot of good and new ideas, and in general other than the battle system and added lobbies, and the stupid story mode, it was pretty much the same thing as PSO with better graphics and more crap. half of that crap actually being good ideas, while admittedly some were wasted potential, or soiled some of PSO's ideas that grew on people.

But I'm sure if all of PSU's ideas were "really bad" PSO2 wouldn't have so many of them. Including ones that would still be considered changes from "HOW PSO DID IT! D<"

Shadownami92
Feb 27, 2012, 02:16 AM
I wouldn't say PSU was just a PSO with better graphics and more crap with a worse battle system, added lobbies and a stupid story mode.

It also had a soundtrack that was lacking in many ways, mostly in just not being memorable and not having the battle music transitions.

Also in terms of graphics I'd say while the characters and monsters looked better, the environments sucked horribly. And void of any of the personality that PSO levels had.

Animation wise I'd actually say the game was almost worse than PSO as well, as most of the enemies just used recycled animations from PSO, and the run animations for characters made them seem floaty/weightless. No CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK from Racasts, and no clop clop clops from Fomarls.

It also lacked mags, which were tons of fun.

So in a sense, yeah I would prefer PSO2 to be a lot more PSO than it was PSU in terms of what elements it has.

Granted I do enjoy the addition of the My Room feature, and it seems the Item Lab is only really for augmenting weapons you already own (not making new ones based on random chance) which is something I also welcome.

Otherwise I'd say that this thread has been derailed enough. I'm hoping there will be subclasses for some good weapon variations for each class. So based on those limitations I myself would be a Force subclass Force or a Force subclass Hunter. Always been a more melee focused Force myself.

NoiseHERO
Feb 27, 2012, 03:00 AM
I wouldn't say PSU was just a PSO with better graphics and more crap with a worse battle system, added lobbies and a stupid story mode.

It also had a soundtrack that was lacking in many ways, mostly in just not being memorable and not having the battle music transitions.

Also in terms of graphics I'd say while the characters and monsters looked better, the environments sucked horribly. And void of any of the personality that PSO levels had.

Animation wise I'd actually say the game was almost worse than PSO as well, as most of the enemies just used recycled animations from PSO, and the run animations for characters made them seem floaty/weightless. No CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK from Racasts, and no clop clop clops from Fomarls.

It also lacked mags, which were tons of fun.

So in a sense, yeah I would prefer PSO2 to be a lot more PSO than it was PSU in terms of what elements it has.

Granted I do enjoy the addition of the My Room feature, and it seems the Item Lab is only really for augmenting weapons you already own (not making new ones based on random chance) which is something I also welcome.

Otherwise I'd say that this thread has been derailed enough. I'm hoping there will be subclasses for some good weapon variations for each class. So based on those limitations I myself would be a Force subclass Force or a Force subclass Hunter. Always been a more melee focused Force myself.

I dunno at this point I play both games muted. By the time they reached infinity I'd say the universe series' sound tracks became more listenable.

I think between both of the game's aesthetics (The foot steps? really?) compared to the games actual graphics (C'mon be honest, humars looked like giant big footed legomen) I'd still prefer PSU.

And I say PSU didn't only have BETTER "environments" but obviously it had WAY more. Sure it all looked like a boring reskin hell when you're in a mission. But the visual lobbies and story's setting brought way more creativity and emotion than one of Red Ringo's notes by some small waterfall in a cave. PSU it's like you had a whole world to discover and learn about. PSO was like you we'rent ALLOWED to discover it, just do your mission and be curious. There would be whole cities in space and beautiful vast oceans but at the end of the day it was just in the background.

Mags, other than stat customization and PMs other than the concept of them being my slave(meatshield), I hate both of them.

The battle system, I choose PSP2's blocking dodging and chaining over PSO's hit and run 1-2-3 timing "big deal" PSU's battle system could've been better and it SHOULD'VE been PSP2i's battle system. But from my memory PSO's bore'd me the fastest. (And yeah I actually did play PSO BEFORE PSU.)

But yeah even at this point we're just throwing conflicting opinions that easily start these PSO vs PSU most of the time off-topic arguments. BUT I'M STILL NOT GONNA LET PEOPLE BAD MOUTH PSU THEN PROCEED TO SAY PSO IS BETTER! WHEN PSO SUCKED JUST AS MUCH, BUT IN DIFFERENT WAYS!

You can say the conclusion is that both games are too different, But as long as they'r both anime space fantasy RPG's with the same Title. And the gameplay consists of making a character > goto lobby > goto dungeon > go back to lobby till you get rares. Then everything else inbetween is just fandumb nit picking.

Also derailing or not, you kinda made it worse by adding your opinion to said off-topic discussion. So that means I can reply to it and you can't complain without being a hypocrite! SO NOW THIS IS A PSO VS PSU THREAD! AND IT'LL GET NOWHERE BECAUSE IT'S ALL BASED ON OPINION!

AND WALLS OF TEXT FROM ME!

AND-*modded probably*

Omega-z
Feb 27, 2012, 09:07 AM
You could say that both games both have the same problem's a little more in some but really both had problems and Sega wants to do the best out of both so, there is middle ground between both but some can't/won't see that even after PSO2 is long gone. I would say let's be nikpicky with PSO2 and have Sega determined what that "Middle Ground" is and live with it so we can help Sega keep that standard in other future games. And this Argument is a Paper/Scissor/Rock type between the Classic series/PSO series/PSU series. Like a lot ppl have said The game is going to move on even if you like it or not. Just be happy it's a PS game and not something else (since we all love PS no matter how the game turns out ):):rappy:

But Weapon limitations is a good thing since to many is very hard to handle and waste of space, But can see not having enough could hurt you. I'm glad that their adding more weapons and would like to see more combine type's. I think 8 to maybe 10 type's is the best for the amount of usage, Since 7 and lower it's enough and 10+ was to much. That making weapons Have more of a purpose more like PSO (even tho it needed more ) which is better than how PSU is now; no one cares about weapon's that are 2 week's old (even a day old) if there is one with 10 plus Atp/Tp+ or a boost to do more damage to kill thing out so fast so that they can ignore all the other stat's and play the eternal C run.
I did like how lower weapon in PSO where able to grind higher then higher 10+ weapons so that they where as good as those to keep there use, Would like to see that in PSO2.:)

moorebounce
Feb 27, 2012, 10:26 AM
Fine, but from the MANY stories I've heard PSO wasn't so perfect either in terms of having lame balance and over powered weapons/classes better than others by the time you reached end game content. Even AFTER the many fixes/tweaks a certain private server apparently made.

Here we go with the "wasn't so perfect either" line. I'm trying to figure out where I said PSO was perfect. The balance was fine IMO because thats what Sega wanted the balance to be. How you gonna tell the company that made the game the balancing was wrong and it's their game. You can ask 10 people how the balancing should be and you'll get 10 different answers. Sega listening to idiots is what made PSU so bad.

PSU was so bad I wish the MIB could do a memory wipe on me.

NoiseHERO
Feb 27, 2012, 12:01 PM
Here we go with the "wasn't so perfect either" line. I'm trying to figure out where I said PSO was perfect. The balance was fine IMO because thats what Sega wanted the balance to be. How you gonna tell the company that made the game the balancing was wrong and it's their game. You can ask 10 people how the balancing should be and you'll get 10 different answers. Sega listening to idiots is what made PSU so bad.

PSU was so bad I wish the MIB could do a memory wipe on me.

That doesn't make any sense at all... The balance in PSO was "fine" because "that's what SEGA wanted it to be" ???

Whuh??

Anyway maybe you didn't EXACTLY say PSO was perfect. But I'm just saying (especially when you think of what omega said,) Both PSO AND PSU had a lot of mistakes. But it seems like people ONLY look at, and exaggerate PSU's mistakes and sweep PSO's under the rug. THEN proceed to compare the games just to shit on PSU. EVEN WORSE I could only question how long these people have even played PSU.

I wish MIB could do a memory wipe on ME so I can forget all of this racism displayed. @_@

kyuuketsuki
Feb 27, 2012, 03:31 PM
But it seems like people ONLY look at, and exaggerate PSU's mistakes and sweep PSO's under the rug. THEN proceed to compare the games just to shit on PSU.
No, people put PSO on a pedestal and then shit on PSU because PSO managed to shine despite its flaws. PSU, on the other hand, didn't. I don't think it was terrible, personally, but it certainly had nowhere near the atmosphere, addictiveness, and outright playability (not sure that's a word) PSO did.

Also, while PSU's graphics might have been marginally better technically speaking, PSO did a lot more with it had. The environments, character design, and weapon design were much, much more memorable and, again, it had a lot more atmosphere.

Given the choice, I'd play some PSOBB or even Episode 3 before I'd pick PSU up.

I wish MIB could do a memory wipe on ME so I can forget all of this racism displayed. @_@
Racism? WTF are you talking about.

Kent
Feb 27, 2012, 03:55 PM
lolwhut @ PSO's balance being fine. That must be some potent stuff you're smoking.

PSO's balance was okay and everything early-game (and throughout Challenge Mode, coincidentally - which is probably the best part of the game anyway), but dramatically threw itself out of whack as you got farther into the game, eventually turning into utter chaos by the time you get around to the tail end of VHard. Especially in Version 1, where after a certain point, Rangers were a waste of space and Forces were only useful as healbots (and even then, only if the rest of the team was HUcasts).

NoiseHERO
Feb 27, 2012, 03:56 PM
No, people put PSO on a pedestal and then shit on PSU because PSO managed to shine despite its flaws. PSU, on the other hand, didn't. I don't think it was terrible, personally, but it certainly had nowhere near the atmosphere, addictiveness, and outright playability (not sure that's a word) PSO did.

Also, while PSU's graphics might have been marginally better technically speaking, PSO did a lot more with it had. The environments, character design, and weapon design were much, much more memorable and, again, it had a lot more atmosphere.

Given the choice, I'd play some PSOBB or even Episode 3 before I'd pick PSU up.

Racism? WTF are you talking about.

The racism was a blatantly obvious joke.

I still find the way most people look at PSO to be completely overrated. Even with PSU's shitty story mode I was drawn into till the end.

PSO if you're playing by yourself, unless you're enjoying it with friends (Assuming your data didn't get currupted and you said fuck it and dropped the game) You'd probably quit by the time you reached the caves boss.

The only reason people didn't want to look past PSU's flaws was probably because it WASN'T PSO. Or at least, a lot of people actually DID look past PSU's flaws and enjoy it. But those people can actually respect both games. Compared to a lot of PSO fans that never gave PSU much of a chance the second they realized it was different to begin with, and now even with PSO2 in our face still look for a chance to deliver low blows towards it.

But whuuutever..

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Feb 27, 2012, 04:11 PM
I appreciate the versatility PSO and Offline PSU had, since a well rounded character could handle almost anything themselves, and I played alone most of the time. Teamwork was nice, but not mandatory. If it was, I probably wouldn't have played as long as I did. As I learned in PS0 though it was more about tech assortment rather than weapon choices. As long as I had a few support techs, some damage, some healing, and decent attack, I was fine.

On the other hand, being that this was so easy to come by in PSO, I realize there was little to make the classes truly unique. It looked to me like all the sub-classes did in Universe was narrow down the divided list of items, stat ratings, and armor types further. I wouldn't mind a class system similar to D&D's prestige class system. Have sub classes that you have requirements for, that combine or augment previous class abilities and present new specialty abilities that differ from just choosing one of the base classes and leveling all the way. If this were balanced so that sub-classes could be just as viable as the base classes at the same level totals, it'd be great. D&D didn't even do this successfully (At least certainly not in version 3), so it's probably wishful thinking.

I'm sure there'll be a wide array of weapon choices for each class in PSO2. If they're more strict on common items and rares, they won't be with the joke weapons. They never were before.

ClothoBuer
Feb 27, 2012, 04:38 PM
I may as well toss my 2c into the fray. PSO and PSU both had their flaws, but both had their redeeming qualities. PSO had the better environments, and PSU had the better combat. For whatever reason, PSU just never was able to match the level of immersion and detail that PSO's environments provided. May have been something with the music adjusting to combat, may have been a lack of ambience, I don't know. But I do know that I thoroughly enjoyed stopping and marveling at the detail of the levels in PSO.

And while PSO may have this 1up, PSU brought many combat changes that made fighting more substantial. They may not have had it perfect at the time, but look at the adjustments they've made in the PSP2 games. The combat there is just outstanding, and not only challenging, but FUN.

I admit I wasn't that fond of PSU, but I certainly give it its due for all the ideas they experimented with. Some of them didn't work out, some of them needed to be fleshed out, and some of them were brilliant. Both games were good and bad in their own ways, it's all a matter of opinion which one you want to put on your pedestal.

Alisha
Feb 28, 2012, 04:57 PM
i like how people talk about PSO and PSU but ignore PSP.
portable 2 fixed most of what i hated about PSU. mainly i hated that hunters we basically forces the use attack stat instead of tech. i liked timing my attacks in pso and performing regular attacks as opposed to PA spam that goes on in PSU. tho infinity managed to break the chain system by making guns and techs able to chain faster than regular attacks and having no restrictions on who can use what. chain with a machinegun then switch to and axe and use a pa >_>

moorebounce
Feb 28, 2012, 06:08 PM
i like how people talk about PSO and PSU but ignore PSP.
portable 2 fixed most of what i hated about PSU. mainly i hated that hunters we basically forces the use attack stat instead of tech. i liked timing my attacks in pso and performing regular attacks as opposed to PA spam that goes on in PSU. tho infinity managed to break the chain system by making guns and techs able to chain faster than regular attacks and having no restrictions on who can use what. chain with a machinegun then switch to and axe and use a pa >_>

I think thats because they may not have played it and I'm one of them. I have however played PSZ. I liked it but I'm not a fan of handheld games. PSO2 is PSP and PSZ on crack and what I played of PSZ Sega already started on the right track.

Kent
Feb 28, 2012, 08:44 PM
Though there were improvements in the systems used in Phantasy Star Portable, there are still plenty of inherent design flaws that stem from it being an off-shoot of Phantasy Star Universe (which was just a mess, really). Things like the broken dual-wielding system and the requirement of mapping techniques to weapons are just plain bad designs.

It's also worth noting that Phantasy Star Portable is a PSP game. So naturally, not a whole lot of people outside of Japan are going to really play it.

Krank32oz
Feb 29, 2012, 02:36 PM
I have played every game Sega made since PSO for the Dreamcast. Call me old fashion or maybe a little biased but playing a Phantasy Star game on a hand held just doesn't really work for me. They are fun but I cant really immerse myself in them. Yes maybe the PSO games were a bit repetitive but I played those much more then any other game since. Looking forward to this one and im sure whatever they make will be amazing!

Omega-z
Feb 29, 2012, 08:07 PM
What makes no sense is picking a class or even then name of each one, if your not going to stay like that or a branch - off of it. PSU's system to let everyone be any class is one of the reason why it failed and why it was nerf to make every class the same and boring; The Majority of ppl do feel this way except those who don't like having limitations. Which should be there to encourage balance and better game play. But to much like PSO didn't help with creativity but did give each there own purpose. Next I could see is no more race restrictions and everyone is the same then too and only the skin's would be the only difference.

If anything I think the best medium would be having the main - class locked and have Sub's changeable with-in that group. And not the broken things we already learned to stay way from. "THIS IS PHANTASY STAR NOT MARIO GALAXY"

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Feb 29, 2012, 10:16 PM
What the hell does this series or this discussion have to do with Mario Galaxy?!

I understand, character class is supposed to be a life choice for the character you made, in the world they live in. If you've been a carpenter all your life, you can't just go and be a dentist at the drop of a hat. I'll admit, there was a pretty good explanation in the past as for why androids couldn't be forces too, but that may have been the single greatest real restriction of the online series.

PSO didn't really place individual purpose upon the classes. It just allowed for most classes to perform some variety of the same tasks. All forces really had that other classes didn't was access to higher level techs. Hunters had higher level melee Weapons, and Rangers higher level guns. This just means through advancement, you could easily have a HUnewearl, a RAmarl, or a HUmar/RAmar Pair cast support to make up for not having one lower level FO. There wasn't anything to keep multiple classes from using most mechguns, double sabers, or Slicers either. Armors were limited by class group and level most of the time with a small number being for one class only. Also weren't Humans and Newmans able to use traps in v1?

Kaydin
Feb 29, 2012, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't say it was class switching in general that was broken in PSU, but it's implementation. The splitting of character levels and class levels meant a level 100 Hunter who had never been a Force before could instantly become a level 100 Force. Class levels did little for stats, and were gained quickly (especially in S-rank missions), so you could still use your high leveled equipment and still fare fairly well in high ranked missions. There was little to no consequence for switching. It was too easy.

They've stated that levels in PSO2 will be tied to classes only, which should mean that when a level 100 Hunter switches to be a Force, they'll start over completely at level 1 and have to level all over again from the beginning. No hopping straight into S-rank missions and gold-star equipment. You're almost starting over from scratch. This worked fairly well in FFXI, I don't see why it can't in PSO2, as long as they implement it right.

SephirothXer0
Feb 29, 2012, 11:25 PM
Well it's not exactly easy to switch classes in PSP2 for me. I just switched from HU to RA and it pretty much puts me back at square one. Can't equip any decent weapons, no good skills, stats are lowered, etc.

I guess it's easy if you can stand hours and hours of monotonous grinding, but it wears on my nerves to do the same mission over and over (because there are only 2 or 3 missions in the whole game that give decent type points) just to be able to play with my buddy without dragging him down.

So yeah, it'll be even tougher in PSO2 to switch. Don't think I'll be switching at all.

NoiseHERO
Feb 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't say it was class switching in general that was broken in PSU, but it's implementation. The splitting of character levels and class levels meant a level 100 Hunter who had never been a Force before could instantly become a level 100 Force. Class levels did little for stats, and were gained quickly (especially in S-rank missions), so you could still use your high leveled equipment and still fare fairly well in high ranked missions. There was little to no consequence for switching. It was too easy.

They've stated that levels in PSO2 will be tied to classes only, which should mean that when a level 100 Hunter switches to be a Force, they'll start over completely at level 1 and have to level all over again from the beginning. No hopping straight into S-rank missions and gold-star equipment. You're almost starting over from scratch. This worked fairly well in FFXI, I don't see why it can't in PSO2, as long as they implement it right.

Actually no, it still took a long time to get class levels. Then you would still have to deal with leveling all of your techs/bullets/PAs from scratch. With most things having a lvl 50 cap to be the best, (you really only needed higher than 20 to be efficient, but all the cool stuff was higher than that.)

And yeah I also already brought up how PSO2's classes worked, with having to start at lvl 1, so it's like you're actually making a new character of the same race without wasting a character slot. Assuming anyone paid attention to that. So that means it's not even going to be a problem in this game. (When it wasn't even a problem in PSU that is.)

Kaydin
Feb 29, 2012, 11:51 PM
Class levels still took some time, yes, but they still weren't that hard. Definitely not as time consuming as it will be (should be) in PSO2.

And what you said about PAs/techs/bullets is true with most of them, but with the overlap of weapons when you changed class you would still have access to any PAs and bullets you leveled on the other class. Going Force had the small disadvantage of other classes not being able to use techs, but you could still use previously leveled Bow bullets.

This does pose a small problem with PSO2 though, especially if Hunters and Rangers can use techs again like PSO, but it goes back to whether they implement it right or not. Instead of a class being able to use the highest level known of a certain ability, they could make it to where you had to be a certain level or have a certain stat in order to use each level of the ability. Just something to keep you from level your Gunslash PA to max on Hunter, then spamming it as a level 1 Ranger. It'd limit you to leveling 1 of that PA, and as you leveled it would raise the limit.

Personally I'd prefer there to not be class switching. I'm just saying it wouldn't be terrible, as long as it's done right.

Omega-z
Mar 1, 2012, 12:39 AM
ForceOfBrokenGlass - I was being sarcastic with that saying. Sorry for the confusion.

I think Kaydin brings up a good point, If classes where done that way it would be fine. But like he said we don't fully know how it's going to be implemented. (most likely it will be in Closed BETA) All we can do is wait for the time being.

NoiseHERO
Mar 1, 2012, 04:18 AM
I still don't see how changing your role any time you want is particularly broken, or unfair.

It's not like it was any harder leveling your normal levels in general, in PSU. Infact I LOVED the idea of being able to change my class, or explore other classes without having to be level 1 and squishy again.

And yeah I'm sure if you're predominantly fighter/figh gunner. There won't be a lot of skills overlapping when you jump over to force. Or a class that uses bigger guns. You still have to earn everything new you learn yourself. And there's nothing broken about it because you're not doing it all at once. (Unlike PSP2 at least, where every class can do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING all at once. Now THAT pissed me off. )

And I'm pretty sure if he wanted, a plumber could just up and go to medical school any time he wanted. He shouldn't have to be reborn then go back to pre-school-highschool for it. D:

I'm really not seeing a legitimate reason, to dislike being able to change your class on one character. And then using PSU as an example of why it's bad is even worse. When that was the least of what made people "cheap" and "too powerful" in PSU. D:

Krank32oz
Mar 1, 2012, 01:00 PM
So from what they have talked about is it even worth switching classes? Or should I just make a new character all together if I'm feeling bored with the class i have? What benefits are their to just switching?

NoiseHERO
Mar 1, 2012, 01:28 PM
So from what they have talked about is it even worth switching classes? Or should I just make a new character all together if I'm feeling bored with the class i have? What benefits are their to just switching?

Who knows could depend on how subclasses look.

Or in general save you from having to make a new character of the same race.

Kaydin
Mar 1, 2012, 01:37 PM

It's basically so you can go either way you want. You have to factor in races and genders too. If you want to make separate characters of different races and genders for different classes, you can. If you want to just use the same character (same race/gender combo), you can do that too.

Alisha
Mar 3, 2012, 06:06 PM
Actually no, it still took a long time to get class levels. Then you would still have to deal with leveling all of your techs/bullets/PAs from scratch. With most things having a lvl 50 cap to be the best, (you really only needed higher than 20 to be efficient, but all the cool stuff was higher than that.)

And yeah I also already brought up how PSO2's classes worked, with having to start at lvl 1, so it's like you're actually making a new character of the same race without wasting a character slot. Assuming anyone paid attention to that. So that means it's not even going to be a problem in this game. (When it wasn't even a problem in PSU that is.)

thanks for reminding me when portable 2 and infinity despite their flaws are way better than PSU. theres a mission that gives 2200 type points and PA from disc's instead of stupid grinding to lvl them.

moorebounce
Mar 10, 2012, 08:42 PM
I hope they make deploying Traps easier like it was before PSU. So far it looks like you'll be able to assign them to a key like all the other PSO games.