PDA

View Full Version : The Gamers Unanswered Question......

Tenshi-Chan
Mar 5, 2001, 12:38 PM
Answers:
1) They're not.
2) They're not.

Now my question. Why are you such a sexist, agist jerk?

Danger_Girl
Mar 5, 2001, 01:44 PM
Okay pal!!!! Its time for a duel! You and the Danger Girl! You can have any weapon of your choice, hell you can even use a level 999 mag if you want! All I'll use is the freshly plucked leg off a Rag Rappy and beat you into submission with it! After that I'll smear lipstick all over your big yap and shove a tampon up your nose! Score one for that fairer sex.

myau1
Mar 5, 2001, 01:48 PM
Wait a minute!!!!! Im very damn close to 30 and I dont suck at any games! Age and gender have nothing to do with game skills! LOL Ive seen 17 and 20 years olds rip and suck at games.

Socrates
Mar 5, 2001, 01:56 PM
"All theories welcome..."

How about this one: you're making an erroneous assumption to begin with, and further complicating the issue by asking for evidence to support that incorrect assumption.

Are younger players better at gaming than older players? No, not inherently. However, there are more younger gamers than older players, so any random good player will be more likely to be young.

Also, younger players generally have more free time to devote to gaming, so they are simply going to have more hours under their belt. Thusly, if you take a random young gamer and a random older gamer, the younger is statistically more likely to have more hours under his belt, and thus be better at the games.

However, younger gamers are not inherently 'better' at games than an older player.

As to the guys vs. gals thing, the same thing can be said. There are statistically more male gamers than girl gamers, so any random good gamer you pull will be more likely to be male simply due to the numbers.

Why fewer women gamers? Societal pressures. Violent games and such are still, despite everything, seen as a 'guy' thing, so fewer girls are encouraged to try them out. Further, until recently, few games really focused on having a female lead, maning fewer women could 'empathize' with the character they were playing.

TylerFrost
Mar 5, 2001, 01:56 PM
Hey hey hey...

I'm not voicing my views.... I am just goin against the experience of playin against my dad and his mates and girls.

Sciler - I welcome an ass-whoopin from a girl... Ive only played against my ex's at games and the suck... erm.... ;o) If you wanna hook up I'll be on tonight at 11pm (uk) or 6pm (usa), Titan, lobby4.... You gotta admit you are a rare breed, not many girls are RPG'ers!

Tenchi - Chill... I'm no sexist or agist.. Whew!

TylerFrost
Mar 5, 2001, 02:20 PM
Ok ok....

Seems I better appologise B4 I get myself knee high in sh*t...

Sorry everyone.... Didn't realise it would make me Public Enemy No.1.... Damn!

Sciler.... Hopefully see you in the game.

Defend
Mar 5, 2001, 02:27 PM
Whoa, I think everyone took it a bit too seriously.. well, onoly Socrates actually.

I think I'll go ahead and agree with him. No, not EVERY girl sucks, or person over 30+, but we all know there's a definate skew there. MOST girls suck at games ( http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif ), and most over 30-ers are pretty bad too. Most, not all.

The reasons are obvious, just throw in some statistics. Most girls haven't really played games that much, (and you could also argue that most guys sucks at games too then), and most pro 30's gave them up a while back.

More guys play games than girls. Simple, not sexist. So here's a fw other things that might explain just why girls suck so much http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif

A teacher once explained that females physically take more time determining their left from their right. No problem doing it, just a slight difference in time over the males. Also there's that idea that "girls think in parallel, guys think in series". So while a guy pays any game with skill, a girl will play it rather clumsily, while a the same time solving a quadratic in her head, washing dishes (a girls do), feeding babies, worrying about their looks, and hell, even telling their right from left. See, not sexist, just simple science.
As for old fellas, well they just don't want the kids getting too attached to them, so have to give it a break as soon as young Jonny starts knocking on the door at 6am "I've got new Tony Hawk cheats!" (It wasn't 6am, and I'm not 30, but this honestly happened to me).

Okay okay.. seriously.. girls always have lives.. guys struggle with this, so drown their sorrows in 30 hour straight PSO sessions.

How's that?

TylerFrost
Mar 5, 2001, 04:12 PM
Qn1. Why are old people (30+) so crap at games?

Qn2. Why are Guys better than Gals at games?

All theories welcome....

TF

Socrates
Mar 5, 2001, 05:16 PM
"Whoa, I think everyone took it a bit too seriously.. well, onoly Socrates actually."

Well, I got a lot of history in formal Debating online, so I guess the old habits kick in too often sometimes. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

"guys struggle with this, so drown their sorrows in 30 hour straight PSO sessions."

Hmm, I'm a guy, and an older player, and I partook in a 10-hour marathon online session yesterday because my fiance let me. That probably doesn't bode well, does it? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

Sciler
Mar 5, 2001, 05:18 PM
<font face=times new roman color=red>~laughs~ Guys better than gals??? Obviously you've been playing against the wrong women hun. Search me out if we ever meet and I will definitely give you a battle....but the real question is, will you admit defeat against a woman?<center>