View Full Version : Stat and math review

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Mar 20, 2003, 09:48 PM
Relative frequencies:

Examples of wild claims:
"Memory card 251 corrupts more than memory card 59!"
"Vega corrupts you more than any other ship"

This is a relative frequency:
(Number of people who corrupted with 251) / (Number of people you asked who used 251)

which compares with:

(Number of people who corrupted with 59) / (Number of people you asked who used 59)

You simply ask the same number of people for each type of memory card, whether they corrupted or not. The more people you sample, the closer you should get to knowing "the truth about everyone who plays PSO".

RagMasterRappy
Mar 20, 2003, 10:03 PM
Don't forget to multiply by 100 to get a percentage.

Those equations show a fairly linear relationship. It would be interesting if you could find a probability model to match your data.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RagMasterRappy on 2003-03-20 19:05 ]</font>

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Mar 20, 2003, 10:09 PM
Simpson's Paradox:
Say, for example, that memory card 59 has a higher relative frequency of corruptions than memory card 251:
Memory card 59: 70 / 500 corrupt
Memory card 251: 43 / 500 corrupt

A common response to this would be that there may be some lurking variable(s) causing this difference. In other words, this data is agregated, and doesn't show other factors for the difference in corruptions. (As a freebie, there is a significant difference between the numerators, so I won't consider significance levels when there's random variation and no certainty of a normal distribution. i.e. I love abusing the central limit theorm.)

My kitty hypothesis is that more serious and hardcore PSO players buy the memory card 251. There are less corruptions on the memory card 251, since the more serious players wait for the game to finish saving.

I'd create a two-way table to categorize my data, but I hate ASCII tables:
Serious players with 251 corruptions: 10
Not-so serious players with 251 corruptions: 33
Serious players with 251 corruptions: 15
Not-so serious players with 251 corruptions: 55

omfgwtfbs; Let's just jump to a conclusion and say less serious players are the culprit to corruptions instead of memory card capacity!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko on 2003-03-20 19:11 ]</font>

RagMasterRappy
Mar 20, 2003, 10:19 PM
I really don't accept that there would be a difference between the two Nintendo cards (as far as data stability goes.) Although the other major differences are:

59: Limited storage space, can hot swap
251: More storage space than 59, have to hard reset system after taking card out and reinserting

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RagMasterRappy on 2003-03-20 19:21 ]</font>

Celes152
Mar 21, 2003, 12:22 AM
I'm sure you don't mean the 59 can hotswap online, and I've swapped my 251 out and back in without restting before so I ask..???

RagMasterRappy
Mar 21, 2003, 01:10 AM
The GameCube detects the 251 as a "foreign object" if you pull it out and reinsert it while it's on.

RuneLateralus
Mar 21, 2003, 01:19 AM
I use the 251. I have yet to have any problems with PSO on it. In fact, I have only lost items 2 for the 11 times I got an FSOD.

Celes152
Mar 21, 2003, 01:33 AM
I don't understand what you mean.
> RagMasterRappy

I've taken out my 251 when playing PSO, put it back in and had it work fine. Done it on lots of games, on the memory card manager..

RagMasterRappy
Mar 21, 2003, 08:14 AM
I mean what I say.

LamerPanda
Mar 21, 2003, 06:44 PM
On the foreign object thing - Maybe it depends on the Gamecube?

It could be that older Gamecubes don't detect the 251 correctly if you switch it in and out, but newer ones do. Just a theory, I remember I've had all sorts of problems with an old SNES and my brother playing around with a Game Genie. *shudder* x_x

Back to the original topic, though, that does sound interesting. I've got two 59 memory cards and one 251, and never had character corruptions, though I have gotten two FSODs that ate all unequipped items on the 251. Not a surprise, since I use it more; that's another thing you'd have to take into consideration, I suppose.

RagMasterRappy
Mar 21, 2003, 06:47 PM
My GameCube is new, besides all of the hardware is supposed to be compatiable.

MasterJoel
Mar 27, 2003, 10:40 AM
On 2003-03-21 15:47, RagMasterRappy wrote:
My GameCube is new, besides all of the hardware is supposed to be compatiable.

My gamecube is older, and I have no problems... i don't think it has anything to do with age... its gotta be something else.

I have never had corruptions of FSOD with my memory cards (although a neighbor lost all of his items with my memory card, due to the fact he turned it off in the middle of a save... his items and character were still on temporary, but he lost a few levels because he couldn't transfer back anymore). Stupid neighbors...