PDA

View Full Version : Game Video game knowledge

Kenbog
Apr 3, 2012, 12:26 PM
Well doing a little test how many people know these really awesome games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBllkYO8h-0

DayDreamer
Apr 3, 2012, 12:48 PM
I only recognized
Muramasa the demon blade
Half minute hero
God Eater burst
and Tales of symphonia

Dr. Montague
Apr 3, 2012, 05:27 PM
One of the Streets of Rage games? (I've only played SoR2 and it looks like what I remember of it).
I never played the Gameboy Ninja Turtles, but I can't imagine it being as bad as the first NES one.
Fyeah Tales of Symphonia

I feel uneducated on the rest D:

NoiseHERO
Apr 3, 2012, 05:41 PM
I'll just say the ones I don't recognize...

All the FPS games, that side scroller zelda looking thingie.

And I'm guess that megaman legends 3rd person shooter looking one is... burning rangers?

Also how do you not recognize ninja turtles??

Randomness
Apr 3, 2012, 06:09 PM
Lets see...
#1: No clue
#2: Streets of rage? (a sequel, anyways)
#3: Obviously a TMNT game for the game boy, but no clue what it is.
#4: No clue. I'll guess Half Life, because there's aliens.
#5: No clue.
#6: No clue
#7: No clue
#8: No clue
#9: No clue. I kind of want to call Monster Hunter on it though.
#10: Obviously Tales of Symphonia.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 3, 2012, 07:02 PM
why is muramasa the demon blade listed as awesome? it's pretty, but i didnt see much else going for it

Mike
Apr 3, 2012, 07:04 PM
#1 Turok?
#2 Streets of Rage?
#3 TMNT 2?
#4 Half Life
#5 Half Minute Hero (or whatever it happens to be called in English)
#6 Burning Rangers
#7 Wonder Boy in Monster Land
#8 Muramasa
#9 God Eater (Burst)
#10, bleh.

EDIT: #7 is actually Dragon's Curse on the TG16 or Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap on Master System.

Rashiid
Apr 3, 2012, 07:18 PM
#1 - I think Turok.
#2 - Streets of Rage I or II
#3 through 7 - no idea
#8 - Muramasa The Demon Blade (was my shit, need to play it again. Hard as hell on non-standard difficulty)
#9 - Gods Eater Burst
#10 - Tales of Symphonia

bns1991
Apr 3, 2012, 08:42 PM
I recognized most of them, especially streets of rage 2 and tales of symphonia. Those were 2 games put a lot of hours into.

NoiseHERO
Apr 3, 2012, 11:09 PM
Ah so it WAS burning rangers?

I'll never be able to guess an old FPS games. and anything 32-bit and down that's barely recognized outside of Japan will always be hard.

And yeah, all the gameboy TMNT games were fucking gold.

kurisu1974
Apr 4, 2012, 03:58 AM
1. Turok
2. Streets of Rage 2 (best game ever for me)
3. TMNT - Back From The Sewers?
4. Half Life?
5. Half Minute Hero
6. Burning Rangers
7. Wonder Boy III (forgot which one, I KNOW I have it ^^; )
8. Muramasa the Demon Blade
9. God Eater
10. Tales of Symphonia

Keilyn
Apr 4, 2012, 08:37 AM
Its funny.

The only people who can answer these questions are people who played every single game on the list and remember every single game on the list as well. The question's answer are so narrow that its only a test of specific video game knowledge to attract those with higher compatibility to the person, rather than actually test real knowledge.

Ask a very narrow range question, answer it to the best of your ability and it shows the greatest compatibility to the one who asks simply due to how narrow the answer can be.

If you want an example of questions testing video game knowledge, why not ask questions like these. These are specific questions but are part of gaming history. (Here is my list for you all.)

1) "What was the name of the first 100% non-sprite, fully rendered game?"

2) "What was the name of the first game that was re-released and completely overhauled from a sprite based game to a completely 3D-Rendered game?" (Hint, the story of this game was a compilation of the combined story arcs of the games that came before it)

3) "Name the only video game series in existence in which a Full Implementation of HDR exists" (Hint: It is NOT Oblivion or any Elder Scrolls Game)

4) Two video games are heavily disputed for being the games which coined an all-familiar one-word insult/phrase. What are the two games at the center of this dispute and what is the word that was created and mainstreamed by it?

5) What was the very first fighting game to be produced and released with an Experience Point System for its characters.

6) The following game represented an "evolution" and a "turning point" in the Action RPG genre in many areas. From marketing, to presentation, to localization. Rather than introduce "concepts" of the game directly, its approach was to present the in-game characters to the world as clay models. What is the name of this game?

7) This highly controversial game was banned from sales in many nations due to its themes and premise. What was the name of this game, and what were the themes which caused its banning?

I should at least throw some easier questions that are far more general:

8) Of the many RPGs made in Japan, there were three big RPG series which became the very first successful series outside of Japan. They paved the way for other RPGs to come here, What were the three series and who were the publishers. (Warning: If you don't get this one, I feel really bad for you)

9) What was the name of the first composer, who's music in a video game won a Grammy? What was the name of the song, and what makes him the "first?"

10) What were the names of the movie and television mini-series which influenced and transformed the WW2 Sub-Genre of Shooter Games? Why do historians view this influence in a more negative fashion than positive?

Two Questions on Terminology, which have affected gaming in great ways:

11) Define "Localization" and the implications for the buyer and seller. What is gained and lost for both. What advantages and disadvantages exist in localization.

12) Define "Censorship" and provide parallels between Localized products and Original Versions. Provide at least one example of Retroactive Censorship, One example of Technological Censorship and finally. one example of Politically Driven Censorship. Please take all your examples from the video games you have played.

Hint: Remember that if an "Original Product" is censored and released, that all "localized" products will automatically contain censorship at the source.

Questions 11 and 12 are highly important to understand and to answer because in a globalized economy, practically every single game goes through scrutiny for whatever the reason. The end product is not usually exactly what developers actually want.

Finally, Two Bonus Question, Lucky Question #13...

Nintendo or Sega?
Macs or PCs?
Sony or Microsoft?

Define the years at which these fan-based rivalries were at their prime. Think back. How old were you? What did they represent and what was the state of the world during these times? How has exposure to this recurring phenomenon made you wiser and what has it taught you over the years?

Question 14:

One video game in particular had a very catchy opening, edged in our memories due to its poor translation. So poor that grammar *and spoken) mistakes were evident and instant to the ear. Even without playing the video game, this introduction is a classic "what not to do" in a video game, but one of the funniest that has ever spread to all the corners of the internet and gathered its own fanbase.

What is the name of the game responsible for this? and What is the catch-phrase?

Enjoy ^^

P.S: I could ask a hundred questions, but I want you to have fun. Good Luck. ^^

Jeff86
Apr 4, 2012, 08:47 AM
The only game that I recognize for sure is Turok 2: Seeds of Evil. I saw TMNT, but couldn't say what game. I think I also saw Half Life. Other than that, I dunno.

NoiseHERO
Apr 4, 2012, 03:05 PM

Augh...

/Calls Egoraptor

Randomness
Apr 4, 2012, 03:46 PM
14) StarTropics, I presume? (All your base are belong to us)

Kent
Apr 4, 2012, 03:51 PM
Just off the top of my head (some of these have been a while, so I don't know the specifics of them):

Turok 2 (I think, it definitely looks like one of the Turok games)
Streets of Rage
TMNT (looks like a GameBoy game, played on a German GBA player for GameCube)
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Minute Hero
Burning Rangers
Monster Boy
Muramasa
God Eater
Tales of Something-or-other

For the record, I've played about half of these.

You know what's great though? Trivia questions like "These two games are the first to have some random attribute in common, but I can't actually hint at what it is because that would make the question answerable and I need to it be as vague as possible so that people look/feel stupid by randomly guessing at what they are, rather than giving them an honest question that's feasibly answerable. What two games are they, and how are they related? (Hint: It does NOT involve a Portugese slang term derived from the word "glastonberry")."

:wacko:

14) StarTropics, I presume? (All your base are belong to us)
StarTropics?

...Seriously?

Randomness
Apr 4, 2012, 05:02 PM
StarTropics?

...Seriously?

Wasn't referring to the video.

Kent
Apr 4, 2012, 11:40 PM
Wasn't referring to the video.
I can't tell if that was a joke or not. I mean, you know the "all your base" quote is actually from Zero Wing... right?