PDA

View Full Version : Google Augmented Reality Glasses!

DayDreamer
Apr 5, 2012, 03:41 PM
Was about to check my email on yahoo when I was under the news section an article about this.

You can check out the video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9c6W4CCU9M4)
What do you guys think?
Cool?
Lame?
Awesome if you want to get hit by a bus while crossing the street?

xeku
Apr 5, 2012, 04:50 PM
Interesting - I'll pass though.
Yeah about the bus comment - I can only imagine the new and wonderful hazards such devices would introduce to my morning commute. As if cell phones distractions, the increasing disregard for safety regulations, and general inattentiveness of Joe and Jane commuter, were not enough...
I recall reading about this a year or so ago (National Geographic I believe) - the military (among others) have been working on these concepts for years now.

FOkyasuta
Apr 5, 2012, 05:15 PM
Aye its a foot step in the right direction...

Isn't it funny how Technology is advancing so rapidly?

LK1721
Apr 5, 2012, 06:21 PM
I think it could be very cool and very convenient, but also extremely dangerous. People getting in car accidents because of cell phones? This would make it even more ridiculous.

DayDreamer
Apr 5, 2012, 07:12 PM
A good few years from now we'll have cops pulling people over saying
"Sir im going to have to give you this $1000 fine for wearing glasses while driving"

xDD

LK1721
Apr 5, 2012, 07:15 PM
A good few years from now we'll have cops pulling people over saying
"Sir im going to have to give you this $1000 fine for wearing glasses while driving"

xDD
Then there's that poor old-fashioned sucker who is wearing regular old glasses to help him see.

NoiseHERO
Apr 5, 2012, 07:38 PM
I swear I thought of this concept for my futuristic concept, but with headphones instead of glasses.
(To be honest I got it from Megaman Starforce... But yeah.)

This is what happens when you procrastinate creativity. D:

Ark22
Apr 5, 2012, 11:53 PM
Cell phones were annoying, atleast this will be above your line of sight so you can see without looking down.

NoiseHERO
Apr 6, 2012, 12:25 AM
/Riding bike

"Oh look a message from sally!"

"YOU'RE TEXT DUMPING ME??"

/crashes into an icecream truck

Tetsaru
Apr 6, 2012, 01:04 AM
I find it both scary and fascinating how both man and machine are slowly becoming more and more integrated with each other. First, we have large computers that take up a whole room, then we start using portable devices like laptops and cell phones, and now we're getting to the point where quantum processing is possible, you can get an internet signal from just about anywhere, and computer chips controlled by your own brain waves can be implanted in your body. Imagine what it'd be like, maybe a century or two from now, when we start living in a Ghost in the Shell-like society...

This reminds me of a conversation a friend of mine and I had, where he mentioned that, "it makes me feel old knowing that our future children will probably grow up not experiencing things like land-line phones and video rental stores."

FOkyasuta
Apr 6, 2012, 01:17 AM
@Rock: Manga creators gotta get their ideas from some were! u be liek overreactn kid.

Couldn't have said it better myself Tes. Just hearing people say that makes me feel glad i was born before the new millennium. And ghost in the shell. i c wut u did thar. Nice but some what creepy example brah. I mean hell there already creating robot replacements for human body parts! I forgot which kinds though...

Kinda funny how i stated it myself earlier...

Isn't it funny how Technology is advancing so rapidly?

/still getting one of dem glasses

-Yasu

Kent
Apr 6, 2012, 01:18 AM
I wonder, with how many botnets is it integrated?

NoiseHERO
Apr 6, 2012, 02:58 AM
If ghost in the shell/johnny pneumonic becomes real life, forget worrying about how old you'll be...

Not sure what to tell you about taste buds and touch senses though.

Ark22
Apr 6, 2012, 03:07 AM
I'm gonna be plugged in the internet ALLLLL DAY

Blitzkommando
Apr 6, 2012, 02:30 PM
Actually, a glasses HUD for driving could be useful. No longer have to look down to see your speed and an infra-red camera could be mounted to the front of the car for night driving, with a feed to the glasses. And, yeah, you could even have a G-meter on the display so you can see how many Gs you pull on the track. It could also interface with the GPS, again, so the driver doesn't have to look down to see where one needs to go.

But, having said all of that, I really don't think Google would be the company I'd want producing said glasses. That said, I wouldn't want it by Apple either because you'd likely be given two choices of glasses, black or white, and when it comes to something that is just as much clothing as it is a tech device I'd like more choice than that.

NegaTsukasa
Apr 6, 2012, 02:38 PM
GOOGLE!" WHAT DOES THE GLASSES SAY ABOUT HIS FACEBOOK LIKES!?

.... "It's ovER NINE-"

but seriously. they remind me of DBZ scouters.
the sayain race would be proud.

yoshiblue
Apr 6, 2012, 08:20 PM
Driving like a boss around 80 on a highway, get off and OMG big red numbers in my eyes! Got to slow down!

Sinue_v2
Apr 8, 2012, 06:48 PM
I can definitely see it being a distraction to pedestrians and commuters, and to drivers of older model cars... but giving the trend towards increasingly autonomous/semiautonomous vehicles, I'm not sure if the distraction to drivers is really going to be an issue. Autonomous vehicles have been around a while now, but not really practical for reasons of (last I heard) liability in case of accident. They're getting there though. The technology will likely already be well into full adoption by the time AR Glasses hit maturity.

Speaking of vehicles and AR Glasses, BMW had a pretty impressive concept demo a few years back for a project that they were working on which basically turned the glasses into a wearable AR Chilton's manual to help mechanics maintenance their vehicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9KPJlA5yds

I mean hell there already creating robot replacements for human body parts! I forgot which kinds though...

You mean bionic prosthesis? They still have a long way to go before anybody is going to want to purposely loose a limb in order to upgrade. The tech videos are impressive to be sure, but you don't often hear about the months of rigorous physical therapy to get to that point, the short battery life, the time-sink spent re-training the system each time it's reset, and "arthritis"... the wear and tear on the system through repeated use which can cause loss of mobility, grip, and failure. Our biological moving parts hold up to repeated motion stresses far better than metal and plastic. Who knew? Other than, of course, people with knee replacements.

It's no surprise that many of the testers of BCI prosthesis you see in the tech demos with these high-end bionic limbs often return to simpler and lower-functionality systems (like the iLimb), or tend to prefer their old "hook & bicycle chain" setups. Still, what they're doing with targeted muscle reinnervation is pretty impressive (especially in giving back sensations such as texture, pressure, and temperature) and since it amplifies nerve signals to a much broader area of tissue, it doesn't need nearly as much individual customization and "fitting" each time it's put on when configuring the sensors. It's also far more intuitive to use, as it's modifying and tapping into the currently existing nerve structure, rather than translating ranges of EMG activity across the surface of the remaining tissue (or EEG states in brain). You don't have to focus on "thinking about closing your hand" to close the hand, you just close your hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyCLuVOmZxo&feature=related

That Deka Arm is soooo sexy. It goes great with her breasts.

*Ahem*, anyhow... the Deka Arm is about the closest we've got to a clinically practical bionic prosthesis for actual amputees, coupled with a new interface technique that still has a way to go before it's out of clinical trials. I wouldn't worry about technology replacing biology in healthy folk anytime too soon.

Besides, if bionics freaks you out, hold on to your fucking seat. The really interesting stuff is going to be coming out of the Genetic and Tissue engineering camps. The source code for the chemical program called "humanity" is about to go open source.

yoshiblue
Apr 8, 2012, 08:07 PM
With the image repeating like that, looks like it can get in the way and annoy the person.

FOkyasuta
Apr 8, 2012, 08:18 PM
@Sinue v2: I actually wouldn't mind but like i might not live that long to see it. And BMW? I knew they made cars that were top of the line but that. that is propz.

Sinue_v2
Apr 8, 2012, 08:48 PM
I actually wouldn't mind but like i might not live that long to see it.

Maybe. We'll have to see how things go with the advancements in tissue/genetic engineering go. If you can hold on for another 20 or 30 years, we'll likely be at a point where organ failure is not really an issue anymore. A failing organ can be removed and replaced with a donor or 3D printed "temporary" organ, meanwhile the original organ is stripped down to it's cartilaginous tissues and "painted" with stem cells cultured from a skin sample... which then grows back and is transplanted back into your body, likely with any genetic/structural defects corrected.

Aubry de Gray at the Methusela Institute suggests a proposed "age escape velocity" that many of us here may already be into. That is, the point in which medical technology necessary to sustain both quality and quantity of life is advancing faster than the aging process. The average life span is about 80 years now, but by the time you're 80, it may be 120. By the time you're 120, it may be 180. By the time you're 180, it maybe indefinite. Assuming of course you can avoid killer pandemics, cancer, gang warfare, meteorites, drunk drivers, and bears in the interim.

Randomness
Apr 8, 2012, 08:57 PM
Maybe. We'll have to see how things go with the advancements in tissue/genetic engineering go. If you can hold on for another 20 or 30 years, we'll likely be at a point where organ failure is not really an issue anymore. A failing organ can be removed and replaced with a donor or 3D printed "temporary" organ, meanwhile the original organ is stripped down to it's cartilaginous tissues and "painted" with stem cells cultured from a skin sample... which then grows back and is transplanted back into your body, likely with any genetic/structural defects corrected.

Aubry de Gray at the Methusela Institute suggests a proposed "age escape velocity" that many of us here may already be into. That is, the point in which medical technology necessary to sustain both quality and quantity of life is advancing faster than the aging process. The average life span is about 80 years now, but by the time you're 80, it may be 120. By the time you're 120, it may be 180. By the time you're 180, it maybe indefinite. Assuming of course you can avoid killer pandemics, cancer, gang warfare, meteorites, drunk drivers, and bears in the interim.

Of course, we really need to work out the issues with population before medicine gets us to that point, or we might be in for some nasty, nasty shocks. (Unfortunately, I sincerely doubt anyone will invent any kind of FTL system before medicine gets us to 150 or so - and I REALLY don't like the case where there is no workaround, because that basically screws humanity long run)

Sinue_v2
Apr 8, 2012, 09:18 PM
Of course, we really need to work out the issues with population before medicine gets us to that point, or we might be in for some nasty, nasty shocks. (Unfortunately, I sincerely doubt anyone will invent any kind of FTL system before medicine gets us to 150 or so - and I REALLY don't like the case where there is no workaround, because that basically screws humanity long run)

Well, considering there is a strong correlating trend towards slow or negative population growth to urbanization and industrialization - we might be able to find a work around to a population crisis by increasing globalization and eliminating poverty on the global scale.

... yeah, I probably ought to get to work on those FTL plans first thing tomorrow.