PDA

View Full Version : Evade or Defend?

UeberAlles
Mar 21, 2003, 12:53 PM
Hi guys, I am finally coming out from lurking in the shadows and posting for the first time.
I was wondering how evade and defend differ in game terms? Evade is supposed to have the character dodge attacks, though I haven't noticed an animation for it. Perhaps evade only comes into play if you are actually moving? Defend has the obvious blocking animation, but would it be better to not have to block at all?
Does anyone prefer one over the other? Also, would a maxed DFP or maxed EVP be better for a RAnger, given that RAngers are usually doing their part at a bit of a distance from the enemy.
Thanks a lot.

IceBlink
Mar 21, 2003, 02:04 PM
It's kinda funny. In game terms...

Evade = higher it is, the better chance you have of BLOCKING the attack, thus suffering no damage. Remember, there will be some attacks you cannot block (lasers, missiles, etc), so... o_O

Defence = higher it is, the better chance you have of being 'stunned' instead of 'falling' from a attack. I believe HP is a factor in this as well. Also, you will take less damage from physical attacks. The bad part is if you get "stun-locked", then enemies could combo you easily in ultimate, so I hear.

Odd, huh? o_O

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IceBlink on 2003-03-21 11:07 ]</font>

Webapprentice
Mar 21, 2003, 02:35 PM
On 2003-03-21 09:53, UeberAlles wrote:
Hi guys, I am finally coming out from lurking in the shadows and posting for the first time.
I was wondering how evade and defend differ in game terms? Evade is supposed to have the character dodge attacks, though I haven't noticed an animation for it. Perhaps evade only comes into play if you are actually moving? Defend has the obvious blocking animation, but would it be better to not have to block at all?
Does anyone prefer one over the other? Also, would a maxed DFP or maxed EVP be better for a RAnger, given that RAngers are usually doing their part at a bit of a distance from the enemy.
Thanks a lot.

Evade usually causes a block animation or causes the enemy to miss (an attack that should have hit you does not).

Defense regulates damage taken. Low levels of defense relative to the attack causes knockdown. High levels of defense relative to the attack causes stun. Stun is bad if enemies gain up on you. You could get successively hit without any way of fighting back (item usage still works).

When fighting Olga Flow (elevator ride) on Easy, Normal, and Hard, his sword often cause knockdown and you don't take additional damage. His green fireballs also cause knockdown. (Unless you're Defense is high)

On Ultimate, the attack level changes. The sword and fireball attacks will cause stun damage (tick damage). Even if your Defense is low, the attacks still cause stun damage.

Mystil
Mar 21, 2003, 02:38 PM
EVP and DFP are the most overlooked stats in the game. If you DFP sucks, most likely that EVP will kick in more frequently.

UeberAlles
Mar 21, 2003, 02:58 PM
WOW! Thanks a lot guys. I would never have guessed that the block and its animation was determined by evade. In that case, I think I will max my evade rather than DFP seeing as getting knocked down lets me run away instead of getting the crap beat out of me repeatedly. That was good help.

IceBlink
Mar 21, 2003, 03:49 PM
Ah, but getting "block-locked" (so sue me, I know of no other name!) is almost as bad as being stun-locked. Everything gets a chance to team-up on you, and you can't counter attack. ^_^;

LamerPanda
Mar 21, 2003, 06:17 PM
Ah, I remember getting ganged-up on by Bartles in Ult once. They didn't hit me hard enough to knock me down and I lost 400-ish HP in a few seconds. x_X

Being stuck blocking isn't as bad, in my opinion.

Reenee
Mar 21, 2003, 06:57 PM
I choose DFP over EVP any day. It's just not worth taking the chance of the possibility of evading an attack. I'd rather stay alive.

SirDonovanIII
Mar 21, 2003, 07:19 PM
Since you are a Ranger, I would recommend more DFP instead of EVP. As a ranger you will most likely not be in to many hand to hand situations were you would have a chance to block. Higher DFP will protect keep you from losing more HP from ranged enemy attacks.

Kupi
Mar 21, 2003, 07:23 PM
SirDonovan, the problem is that I can't think of a single ranged move that enemies have that're going to do physical damage. =/ I recommend higher EVP for a Ranger, for the very same reason you recommend DFP: you won't see much melee combat. Better the one time an enemy gets up close to you, you block and run away, than get hit for moderate damage (I don't think a RA can manage "low"). Eh, it's a matter of preference, I guess.

Yoda86
Mar 21, 2003, 08:35 PM
I would definetley go for DFP instead of EVP for Rangers and the opposite for Hunters. Forces, have no idea, have never played with them (thank god).

Zeebo
Mar 21, 2003, 10:50 PM
Evade!

UeberAlles
Mar 21, 2003, 10:58 PM
I'm going with EVP, and already started on MATs. I had saved 12 of them so far on EVP, and with my slots I need 51 to max out. I agree with Kupi, and in my experience getting my RAmarl up to 114 I am more often in the situation where a monster sneaks up on me just outside of my Spread range and takes a swipe at me, than I am in the situation where I need to survive multiple hits. I block and run a step back, freeze him or push him back with Spreads or Hard attacks. Or, I get knocked down then run back and do the same as above. I don't need to take a bunch of hits. And I definitely prefer block lock over stun lock. Knock me down and let me out of there so I can lay down more ammunition.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UeberAlles on 2003-03-21 20:02 ]</font>

silvermax
Mar 21, 2003, 11:40 PM
On 2003-03-21 12:49, IceBlink wrote:
Ah, but getting "block-locked" (so sue me, I know of no other name!) is almost as bad as being stun-locked. Everything gets a chance to team-up on you, and you can't counter attack. ^_^;

*has flash backs of D2 dueling terminoligy(sp)*

stuning is WAY worce then Block, my Ramarl(lvl. 57) in V. hard ruins sudenly stoped getting nocked down by every hit, and at 390 hp and them doing 75 or so damage a hit, few close calls, .... i blame it on my suden shield upgrade

IceBlink
Mar 21, 2003, 11:51 PM
Being knocked down isn't so bad. When you get up, you have around 2 seconds of invincibility time to run the heck out of there... or heal... or whatever.

Then again, you'll probably be surrounded, which in that case, pop a dimate and start attacking your way out and wait for the next knockdown. ^_^;

Rick-Renziku
Mar 22, 2003, 01:31 AM
I'm one of those damned melee FOmars half the time,I have pretty high DEF and EVP (about in the 600's,over 600 DEF counting the Deband).I thank my "Secret Gear" for all its help http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Try getting a Secret gear if your I.D. is right and you will have both good DEF and EVP. O_.