PDA

View Full Version : getting a gaming PC, any recommendations?

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 16, 2012, 08:22 PM
It has been ordered and i was wondering if anyone had cool gaming recommendations that are on Steam, I plan on getting Limbo, Psychonauts, and maybe Legends of Grimrock, anything else amazing that I should be aware of?

Ezodagrom
Apr 16, 2012, 09:03 PM
If you like platformers, Rayman Origins is quite good (note that the co-op is only local, it doesn't have online co-op, but it's an Ubisoft game on the PC that has no DRM at all, and Ubisoft is famous for its horrible DRM on the PC).
Sonic Generations is not bad also, but it has some issues (online mode crashes quite often, but this only matters if you care about the leaderboards).
On Neogaf, they talk about Trine 2 being good, I never played it though, so dunno what it is about, seems to be a platformer as well.
These 3 games, they all have demos, if you want to try them.

Ah, if you're new to PC gaming, in the early Summer (late June/early July) and in the Christmas season, Steam usually has really big sales, with discounts reaching 75% for daily deals.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 16, 2012, 10:06 PM
I have Sonic Generations on PS3 (not a huge fan), and I think I'll stick to a console for Rayman Origins (for easier access to multiplayer), though Trine 2 has me intrigued (especially considering it's made by Atlus), I'm checking it out.

Blitzkommando
Apr 17, 2012, 12:20 AM
There was recently a thread like this. In fact, it is still on the front page of Off Topic. I'd say to check it out (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193871) as there were a lot of great suggestions in it.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 17, 2012, 03:27 AM
What genres are you into?

Witcher and Witcher 2, definitely. Fallout: New Vegas (but NOT Fallout 3). Alpha Protocol. Portal and Portal 2. Civilization 5 if you're into strategy games.

str898mustang
Apr 17, 2012, 04:26 AM
swtor

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 17, 2012, 03:55 PM
what's SWTOR?

blace
Apr 17, 2012, 04:18 PM
Star Wars The Old Republic, but I heard mixed reviews about it and it is a subscription based game.

Kent
Apr 17, 2012, 05:08 PM
what's SWTOR?
Ignore it, he's trolling you (unless you're really into WoW with lightsabers).

Spiral Knights and Rusty Hearts are free-to-play games on Steam that you might enjoy. The former got a little grindy for my tastes due to how the pay mechanic is set up (basically, you get 100 free energy that regenerates every day, but then you get a separate energy pool that stores energy you've bought with real money, and going into dungeon floors costs energy). It's not bad if you only have an hour or two to play daily, but there's an eventual wall you hit where to create equipment (which uses that same energy resource), you need an amount of energy that is higher than you can actually carry on yourself unless you're selling stuff on the AH (good luck with that) for energy or buying the stuff outright.

Rusty Hearts follows the more common "cosmetics and boosters" route to free play. It's not a bad game, but Dungeon Fighter Online (which isn't on Steam) has much better depth to its combat and gameplay. I highly recommend it.

Also: Torchlight. Try the demo, it's pretty indicative of the full version. And if you like that, there's always Diablo III coming out in a month. :wacko:

Ketchup345
Apr 17, 2012, 06:10 PM
Torchlight is good if you ever played and enjoyed the Diablo games.

For turn based strategy, Civilization IV and V are available.

For survival horror, Amnesia the Dark Descent is supposed to be good. The Penumbra games are from the same group and are supposed to have similar ideas.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 17, 2012, 07:57 PM
thanks for all the input, also, does anyone know if legends of GrimRock is any good, it looks cool so i was wondering

Ceresa
Apr 17, 2012, 09:12 PM
thanks for all the input, also, does anyone know if legends of GrimRock is any good, it looks cool so i was wondering

It has great puzzles that require fast reflexes and solid reasoning to figure out, lots of secret areas. Combat boils down to luring enemies to a 2x2 or 3x3 area and circling around while raping them, but there's a few encounters that manage to be interesting. Should get some new life later once the modding tools are released too.

Liked it enough to do three playthroughs, but I like the older dungeon crawlers a lot to begin with so...

Only like 15$ anyways, not a whole lot to lose.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 17, 2012, 10:08 PM
It has great puzzles that require fast reflexes and solid reasoning to figure out, lots of secret areas. Combat boils down to luring enemies to a 2x2 or 3x3 area and circling around while raping them, but there's a few encounters that manage to be interesting. Should get some new life later once the modding tools are released too.

Liked it enough to do three playthroughs, but I like the older dungeon crawlers a lot to begin with so...

Only like 15$ anyways, not a whole lot to lose.
alright, sounds cool (though i wish it weren't grid based), I'm definitely going to look into that one a bit more.

EDIT: I heard that Dark Souls is coming to PC, there's another one to add to my list :D