PDA

View Full Version : Game Super Smash Bros. Project M

ARChan
Apr 21, 2012, 06:34 AM
Hey, everyone! I bring good news to the Super Smash Bros. fans here!

Apparently, there is a beta remake for SSBB to make it more exact to SSBM because SSBB totally sucked. However, the goal of the beta is made as an attempt to rebalance the game. Here are some of the note-worthy changes to the game:

-NO TRIPPING!!! \o/
-Wave dashing
-Heightened gravity
-L-Canceling
-Crouch canceling
-Certain moveset changes for the available characters
-Transforming characters have slots on the character roster as individual characters
-No auto edge grabbing during certain moves
-Just Guard reflects projectiles

If you want to check out the changes yourself, go to YouTube and check them out. Search "Project M".

Copyrights? The people working on the beta have official consent from the makers of SSB to be doing this mod. It has even made news in IGN.com. So, expect big things. Here are the requirements:

-OFFICIAL copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl (None of that other copy stuff)
-SD card with at MOST 2 gb for hackless version
---If over 2gb, you need to download riivolution.zip and homebrew.zip. Yes, you need to run it via homebrew installation. I don't know the specifics but I know that's the method you need to go to.

NOTE: You do NOT need to hack your wii. There's a safe option without hacking it.

NOTE: You have to copy&move/delete any replay and custom stage on the SD card in use. Otherwise, the program will overwrite the save files and/or not run properly.

Here's the official website of the beta mod: http://projectm.dantarion.com/index.php

Here are some characters and their changes: (Not the final stage of characters and not limited to only these characters)

Charizard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDdx5hPdA_k

Bowser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tdHxDqhHoc

Lucario:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bxRCPbk_E4

FINAL NOTE: In case you neglected this, you need an official copy of SSBB and an SD card with at MOST 2gb. If over 2gb, you need to use the homebrew version. And I've yet to confirm if you can play with this game on wi-fi and if the game will crap out if you do so with other people without the mod.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 21, 2012, 08:29 AM
why would you want to go back? Brawl is so good (if you just don't play it like a total idiot meaning using rigged strategies)

DayDreamer
Apr 21, 2012, 10:55 AM
I've seen this before, Im not so interested in the fact it redesigned some of the combat to be more like melee but what i AM interested in is the new levels they are making for the game.

Like this Castlevania stage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fAcxTRR6mg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fAcxTRR6mg

Randomness
Apr 21, 2012, 11:20 AM
I loath tripping. That is all.

Griffin
Apr 21, 2012, 12:13 PM
Good God. The reason I strayed away from the Brawl competitive scene is because of Melee supremacist methods like this. LEAVE THE GAME ALONE.

hbmizzle10
Apr 21, 2012, 12:49 PM
ill try it out. they made it faster, plus heavier gravity(which i dont like) character moves changed alot.

HUcast Omega
Apr 21, 2012, 01:22 PM
I freakin love this news! I own Brawl and Melee, and while both are good, I'd pick melee over Brawl. I'm not very competitive with the game except for my best friend, and we both break a sweat with how equal our skills are to eachother on Melee. Brawl has failed every time to do this between us. What I'm getting at is that while Brawl had the music, graphics, and characters, Melee had the better game play. Project M is the joining of the two games' strong points. Please keep in mind that this is my opinion, and I said it how it is.

Randomness
Apr 21, 2012, 01:48 PM
Brawl would be fine if it had a option to turn off tripping, and maybe some numbers tweaks on characters... it doesn't need any more tha that.

ARChan
Apr 21, 2012, 01:50 PM
I'm not really competitive either but seeing changes for every character makes me interested. No one character is left unchanged. However, if anything, it is good that the mod eliminates tripping. This was my biggest issue.

Then, there are other changes that are really good, like the change to Ike's f-B. They made it so you can decide whether you can attack with it or not. It really bugged me that--back without the mod--I can gimp an Ike player by jumping off stage after them and taking f-B to the face. They fall straight down to their doom.

Don't get me wrong. There are some things I miss in Brawl, like Falco's recover ability, many of the fun stages that Brawl had, and canceling certain recovery moves to grab onto the edge.

HUcast Omega
Apr 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
I had a few issues with brawl, but overall, I love the Smash Bros. series too much to care about them. And like everyone, tripping was on the list XD

Nitro Vordex
Apr 21, 2012, 11:20 PM
Wavedashing is stupid. Tripping does need to go, though, I totally agree with that.

Powder Keg
Apr 21, 2012, 11:49 PM
Good God. The reason I strayed away from the Brawl competitive scene is because of Melee supremacist methods like this. LEAVE THE GAME ALONE.

Thank you. That's all that really needs to be said here.

....well, 'cept for the tripping I guess. ^^;

DayDreamer
Apr 22, 2012, 12:03 AM
Am I like the only one who just used brawl to take a million pictures?
I remember some saturdays me and my cousins would just play brawl and laugh over all the pictures we'd take xD

But im still mainly interested in the new stage aspect of this, not so much the combat.
Lets hope tripping isnt included in the new smash bros for Wii U and 3ds
which btw is now being worked on now that Kid Icarus Uprising is done :3

Rashiid
Apr 22, 2012, 01:01 AM
I use Minus and different movesets. Project M wasn't my cup of tea. As a matter of fact I was just switch stages two seconds ago, heh.

I hack mine for fun / funny (like Caterpie over Ivysaur) not to be all competitive, even though these methods still do increase skill. The main thing that Brawl-, Brawl+ and Project M add is hitstun to allow more combo-ing.

All that wavedashing and crouch-cancelling is just doing too much.

In the end - just let Melee be Melee. I hope they make the next Smash Bros even less like Melee, then tourney-you-know-whats will leave the game alone. Only thing from Melee I miss is Pichu. Roy...meh, Marth is still better and faster >_>

HUcast Omega
Apr 22, 2012, 02:52 AM
Marth is my character of choice on Melee, but I almost never use him in Brawl. He doesn't feel right. I've never seen or even heard of crouch cancelling, but I have used the wave dash a few timed before on accident.

darkante
Apr 22, 2012, 05:25 AM
I like the new movesets, but i feel it isnīt necessary.
Removing tripping is always a good thing though.

Not to fond of wavedashing myself.

Mustache
Apr 22, 2012, 08:33 AM
I like Marth's changes in Brawl, they stay a bit more true to his fencing style of sword play and take a step away from just another longsword user. He didn't seem to get hit with the Nerf bat, but changed a good portion of his moveset to relate a bit more to his character.

I'm going to get this mod, I much prefer Melee over Brawl for the increased speed of gameplay, the amazing strings that can be put together in mere fractions of seconds. The rewarding gameplay for fast hands and quick thinking. My friends and I enjoy SSBM and still play it often, over it's floaty and trippy new flashy version.

There was a balance problem with Brawl and if they'd like to change it, plus give some new refreashing moves to some of the characters, I say good for you. I'm excited about playing SSBMB.^.^

Rashiid
Apr 22, 2012, 09:23 AM
I can give you guys the code (would still require a soft Wii hack though) of no tripping so you can have normal Brawl without tripping.

Sayara
Apr 22, 2012, 10:34 AM
the Lucario changes, the hit cancel whatever, reeks terribly of Street Fighter/MVC type fighter. And if i wanted that I'd play those games. :|

HUcast Omega
Apr 22, 2012, 12:13 PM
I guess Project M is one of those things that you like or you don't. But despite our differences in opinion, we all agree on one thing: Tripping sucks.

yoshiblue
Apr 22, 2012, 03:40 PM
I can't agree to that. Then again, luck was always on my side.

Tetsaru
Apr 22, 2012, 04:07 PM
Looks pretty cool! There were a lot of things I liked about Brawl, but I hated how unbalanced and different everything felt compared to Melee. I hope Nintendo takes note of these kinds of changes for their next Smash Bros. game in the future, or at least have a casual/hardcore mode option or something to adjust things to suit different peoples' play styles.

And FUCK TRIPPING, save for the banana peels. At least those made sense, but doing so randomly, or because you were pressing buttons too fast? Really!? :argh:

I could do without the wavedashing too. The regular dodges should be enough...

ARChan
Apr 23, 2012, 04:45 PM
Here are my pros and cons about Melee and Brawl:

Melee
Pros: The fight is on the ground a lot; edge guarding is easier; game can exceed into a technical level; no tripping.

Cons: Fighting in the air was difficult; gravity too high on some characters; copycat characters; characters being easier to use than others; ability to play at a higher technical level was limited to the company you play with; limited picture functionality; obvious punching bag characters; Mewtwo being the worst Pokemon in the game; crouch canceling being too strong with some characters; hit boxes being all over the place; not newbie friendly

Brawl
Pros: Different options to air fighting; no characters that dropped like a bullet; in-game replay and picture function; more characters; Subspace Emissary; epic Captain Falcon tripping; specific character technical abilities; being able to grab the corner when facing away; being able to temprarily disable grabbing the wall by holding down on joystick; the gap between experienced and inexperienced players is thinner

Cons: The game too focused on Subspace Emissary; many characters' midair jumps being puny; able to dodge during a tumble state; able to dodge within a few minutes after being sent flying; puny wall/floor teching window; game being too floaty at times; not as much combo stringing; Fox rapid shining in midair, making for easy Shine Spikes; tripping; low jumps being too high with many characters; no wall grappling (Link and Samus hook shot to wall thing); attacks being shorter than they really are; continuous attacks being continuous by holding A; Meta Knight having infinite priority with most of his sword swings (can even overdo Ganondorf's Spartan Kick); power characters not having enough super armor frames; speed characters not having enough umpf; game more based on luck; most grabs hitting upward; the lip on most stages

Project M (4/14/2012 update version)
Pros: Brought back functionality of characters back in Melee; L canceling being noticeable by a white blink of the character; no tripping; move set adjustment of characters; Sonic being more true to Sonic Battle; Sonic actually being fast; Ganondorf actually running; character movement speeds adjusted; air dodging duration longer than in Melee and covers more distance; characters having worth to use, like Bowser and DK; midair jump adjustments; shield shattering is easier; extended edge grab invincibility frames like Melee; characters having move sets that worked in all SSB games; technical stuff has a combination of both Melee and Brawl; a little more newbie friendly than Melee; dash+low-jump have a forward boost with all characters; more character-specific tricks

Cons: Subspace Emissary is glitchy; characters originally in Brawl but not on mod are punching bags; characters that can fall like a bullet; game more focused on timing and button precision; stages are too small; power characters have too much umpf; sweetspots are too big; Lucario being too MvC-like on the ground; Sheik being too slow; crouch cancel is too strong; missing characters in roster; no Ganondorf jog; no slipping

Kent
Apr 23, 2012, 07:25 PM
Anyone who thought wavedashing was a good thing should be incarcerated for trying to provide input on game modifications.

Given the choice, I'd rather have random tripping than players having to forcefully abuse both the physics engine and their controllers in order to remain competitive.

Also: Pokemon trainer removed? What is this bullshit?

Rashiid
Apr 23, 2012, 09:27 PM
Some tourney you-know-whats hate transforming characters, claiming it is "unfair to change movesets during a fight." It's the most stupid shit I've ever heard. It takes MORE skill to master 2~3 characters in one fight than using just one. I really hate competitive players. I did one fight at a convention and it was two Falcos and a Meta Knight. I was chain grabbed to the edge each time then spiked immediately. How do people find this fun?

It's not Melee I hate - it's the community that comes with it.

Randomness
Apr 23, 2012, 10:34 PM
Some tourney you-know-whats hate transforming characters, claiming it is "unfair to change movesets during a fight." It's the most stupid shit I've ever heard. It takes MORE skill to master 2~3 characters in one fight than using just one. I really hate competitive players. I did one fight at a convention and it was two Falcos and a Meta Knight. I was chain grabbed to the edge each time then spiked immediately. How do people find this fun?

Yeah, because there's no fighting games out there that let you tag out midfi- oh wait.

Also, by that logic, they have to remove Kirby, Zelda, Samus (Can change forms without items still, after all)...

ARChan
Apr 23, 2012, 11:00 PM

^Agreed

yoshiblue
Apr 24, 2012, 02:33 AM
Yeah, because there's no fighting games out there that let you tag out midfi- oh wait.

Also, by that logic, they have to remove Kirby, Zelda, Samus (Can change forms without items still, after all)...

They'er still in but are given their own character slots similar to Pokemon Trainer's PKMN. I think. I can't say for sure.

Kirby is Kirby. It would be dumb to change who he is.

Zarode
Apr 24, 2012, 02:41 PM
Some tourney you-know-whats hate transforming characters, claiming it is "unfair to change movesets during a fight." It's the most stupid shit I've ever heard.

Only big babies do. I don't mind them. Sure, change character, I'll still kick your ass... I agree with that. I'm thinking they changed Charazard and Pokemon Trainer as a separate character to help fill in a role.

It takes MORE skill to master 2~3 characters in one fight than using just one.

We're talking about different kinds of skill here. If you suck with three characters to my one, you still won't have an advantage.

I really hate competitive players.

I imagine. Most of you guys hate us.

I did one fight at a convention and it was two Falcos and a Meta Knight. I was chain grabbed to the edge each time then spiked immediately. How do people find this fun?

Yeah that's Brawl Vanilla, the most boring and plain shit in the existence of the universe. It really is a horrible game that has to be modded to become playable.

They aren't exactly fond of casuals either. We'll play the game how we want to, you go play the game how you want to. Nobody wants to hear anything from either side.

Rashiid
Apr 24, 2012, 09:55 PM
I mean I'm somewhat competitive, but I don't do all that wavedashing and stuff. I don't like to abuse a glitch. I play hard, but I play fair. I don't edge hog and shit. I don't bring anything up unless it is brought up. I don't start anything.

I respect everyone having their own playstyle, but I hate when others find another way superior. I.e: Melee is the best because blah blah blah. I find them to just be different. I know it sounds contradictory because I just said chain grabbing is lame but if that's how you wanna play, so be it. I just play ridiculously hacked Brawl. vBrawl is so boring to me now ; ;

Zarode
Apr 24, 2012, 10:45 PM
I mean I'm somewhat competitive, but I don't do all that wavedashing and stuff. I don't like to abuse a glitch. I play hard, but I play fair. I don't edge hog and shit. I don't bring anything up unless it is brought up. I don't start anything.

There's a difference between a glitch anyone can do, and just cheating. It tends to be a fine line, though. I honestly never needed wavedashing. Did you know that L-Cancelling is technically a glitch, by your definition? It's a design flaw.

I respect everyone having their own playstyle, but I hate when others find another way superior. I.e: Melee is the best because blah blah blah. I find them to just be different. I know it sounds contradictory because I just said chain grabbing is lame but if that's how you wanna play, so be it. I just play ridiculously hacked Brawl. vBrawl is so boring to me now ; ;

No no, we get that. It's just a lot of people had some hopes and dreams riding on Brawl, basically. I didn't want Melee 2.0, none of us did, we just wanted a fun game. We got Diet Super Smash that tastes funny and has double the calories, all in carbs. I just recently did a run through of SubSpace Emissary to unlock stuff, and it feels so... bad. Bland. You don't need gimmicks to make something fun, you just need better design. SubSpace feels like it was designed by someone who doesn't understand what fun truly is. And that huge chunk of the game took away time that could've been better balance, more fun gameplay... ugh just lots of things. SSE feels like a slog to go through, even with a friend.

The overall pace of the game doesn't feel right. They really needed more time with this game. Time that others have to pour using hacking tools. vOv

SuperChoco
Apr 24, 2012, 10:49 PM
I played it with my friends who normally don't pay attention to competitive actions of Melee. They didn't care for it too much. I personally didn't care for the changes made to ROB and Wario (I miss his bike).

I personally find the whole concept very cool, but I can't see it going very far. People who want to play competitively are going to play Melee, no matter what. People who are casual probably aren't going to know about it and download it or like it.

Oh, and on the subject of Brawl v Melee. Treat them as two different games. I mean, you don't play 64 and Melee the same way, why should Brawl play the same way as Melee?