PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Glow on Weapons?

DayDreamer
Apr 26, 2012, 01:07 AM
I remember playing Phantasy Star Portable 2 (along with many other PS games) and noticing that the weapons "neon color" changed depending on the type of .."elemental attribute?" it had. Not only did it look cool, but I started matching weapons with my clothes and I really miss that.
Does anyone know if this is possible in pso2? It doesn't seem to change no matter what weapon I use.

I know this might seem silly but little things like this bother me >_<

goldwing
Apr 26, 2012, 01:09 AM
so far i havent noticed it so im going to have to say no.

Reia
Apr 26, 2012, 01:11 AM
No! +10 50% weapon still looks like a neutral. Only thing you can show off is the BIG DAMAGE NUMBER!

NoiseHERO
Apr 26, 2012, 01:13 AM
I think they caved into PSO fans again there and made it based on the weapons rarity.

1 - green
2 - blue
3 - ...I haven't seen a 3 star weapon yet
4 - yellow

Not sure if they completely match the colors in PSO, but if they did someone can finish that list for me. Also actual rare items with extra unique appearances just have whatever photon color they were designed with.

Reia
Apr 26, 2012, 01:14 AM
Only purple weapon by far is the blade for hunters and the spear, but it has resemblance to that Rare Sword you find in PSO. And where is the RED weapons!?

DayDreamer
Apr 26, 2012, 01:15 AM
I think they caved into PSO fans again there and made it based on the weapons rarity.

1 - green
2 - blue
4 - yellow

Not sure if they completely match the colors in PSO, but if they did someone can finish that list for me. Also actual rare items with extra unique appearances just have whatever photon color they were designed with.

Yea I noticed a few ..giant purple spear/swords in the lobby.
For the sake of customization I really wish they kept it with the "elemental glow"

NoiseHERO
Apr 26, 2012, 01:18 AM
Yea I noticed a few ..giant purple spear/swords in the lobby.
For the sake of customization I really wish they kept it with the "elemental glow"

As long as I don't need 6 of the same weapon in different colors, that the photon they chose for it matches properly I don't mind, I mostly just ended up using light, neutral and ice weapons in PSU since those were my favorite colors and didn't care for damage elitism when either way you were just PA spamming and killing without effort.

Back to PSO2, I think the 4* sword looks kinda silly with that yellow...

kdrakari
Apr 26, 2012, 01:19 AM
They don't have it at the moment, though I've heard people say that elements are basically non-functional aside from the special effects when they hit right now.

In PSO what they did was have more powerful weapons use the same models as earlier weapons except the glow was different, but I expect that was a technology limitation so they might end up having something like that. Not that likely in my opinion, but maybe.

EDIT: Ninja'd and apparently I was right. I'm not high enough level to notice it yet.

goldwing
Apr 26, 2012, 01:22 AM
it would be cool if they do add it. one thing id like to know tho. will there b enemy's that are resistant to an element as well?

Reia
Apr 26, 2012, 01:23 AM
They don't have it at the moment, though I've heard people say that elements are basically non-functional aside from the special effects when they hit right now.

Wrong! My 50% Fire launcher makes a difference from 1850 to 2800 damage headshot crits of using it or not.

Fujiko
Apr 26, 2012, 01:34 AM
I might be in the minority for this, but I kinda liked the way PSO did it. Felt like a progress indicator for me.

By seeing what color of the weapons glow people had, I could tell it was a brand (blue) from the caves or they just finished ruins on hard with a pallasch (red). Then the rare sabers like DB Saber (yeah right) would glow from green to blue.

DayDreamer
Apr 26, 2012, 01:43 AM
Felt like a progress indicator for me

That's a good arguement. Although I expect pso2 to have a large amount of weapons so that if they don't include the elemental glow it wouldn't be an issue. Oh and on a side note I liked how it changed your clothing to, not just weapons.

Taitu
Apr 26, 2012, 02:01 AM
it would be cool if they do add it. one thing id like to know tho. will there b enemy's that are resistant to an element as well?

Elements in PSU worked on an opposing elements system as opposed to a cycle.
Fire <-> Ice
Lightning <-> Earth
Light <-> Dark

If you used the opposite element you dealt more damage, if you used the same element you did less. I imagine a similar system here; although, in PSO2 we don't have the Earth element.

I might be in the minority for this, but I kinda liked the way PSO did it. Felt like a progress indicator for me.

By seeing what color of the weapons glow people had, I could tell it was a brand (blue) from the caves or they just finished ruins on hard with a pallasch (red). Then the rare sabers like DB Saber (yeah right) would glow from green to blue.

At the same time the way PSO did it made every player's progression seem very linear and predictable. While this may have been the case anyway, sometimes ignorance is bliss. I wouldn't at least mind the illusion that I'm not doing exactly the same thing every other player is doing.

Skye-Fox713
Apr 26, 2012, 02:04 AM

1 - green
2 - blue
4 - yellow

If their going with the old pso color order I believe it would be

1 - green
2 - blue
3 - red
4 - yellow

Reia
Apr 26, 2012, 02:05 AM
I thou remember The first PSU Ep1 release got rigged weapons of elements just to have the colors on the saber when you played as Ethan at Bruce's shop lmao.

Saber: Neutral
Brand: Ice
Buster: Dark
Pallasch: Fire
Durandal(PSU replaces Gladius for Durandal lol): Electric

djizomdjinn
Apr 26, 2012, 04:53 AM
If their going with the old pso color order I believe it would be

1 - green
2 - blue
3 - red
4 - yellow

1. Green
2. Blue
3. Purple
4. Red
5. Yellow

You missed purple.

HeartBreak301
Apr 26, 2012, 04:58 AM
1. Green
2. Blue
3. Purple
4. Red
5. Yellow

You missed purple.

This is the correct order.

At least on V1/2. When V3 came along the DB saber and other 9* weapons got their own models.

Blueblur
Apr 26, 2012, 06:53 AM

I feel the same way.