PDA

View Full Version : I Want Art - You Want Eleanor; How About a Contest?

Ryo
May 7, 2012, 12:48 AM
Fan Works Artists,

I wanted to float this idea by all of you, and see what you think. I happen to have an extra Eleanor RACAseal APSY kit floating around my house, and I'd like to do something mutually beneficial.

What do you guys think about the following?

I run a contest, here on the boards for artwork based on my character (gotta be a *little* selfish here) and the community gets to vote on the entries. The winner, as chosen by the community, receives Eleanor!

I may be able to offer up a second or even third place prize as well, but you guys would have to let me know what you'd be interested in seeing as prizes in those slots.

Also, as I'm no artist, tell me how long the contest should run for, in order to give you appropriate time to work your respective creative magic!

So what do you all think? Yay or nay.

EDIT: I do ask that if you vote on the poll, you leave a reason why you're voting. I'm trying to find something that works for everyone, so if you think the idea is bad, please let me know why!

DayDreamer
May 7, 2012, 12:59 AM
Yay, if I actually had artistic skills! But I like the idea of this.

Peejay
May 7, 2012, 10:27 AM
It sounds interesting. I might be able to pitch in. Maybe.

qoxolg
May 7, 2012, 11:16 AM
I think it's a good idea. PSOW has more artists lurking around then what you see here in fanworks. The real good ones usually only show up / get motivated when there is a contest running.

I don't realy like contests though, so I won't join. You can always dump requests in my thread here and I will eventually pick it up. I am quite reliable when it comes to finishing requests :)

BIG OLAF
May 7, 2012, 11:33 AM
I voted for the bottom option, not because I think model kits are dumb, but I personally think it's a bit egotistical to hold a contest for just you and you alone. Obviously you said that's sort of the point, but it still rubs me the wrong way. Nothing personal.

Ami
May 7, 2012, 12:29 PM
Personally, no. I'm not a contest type of gal. But there are those out there who thrive for the competition. But yeah, if you want art of you personally I would suggest going in Q's thread for a request. As someone who requested art from him a couple times, I can vouch for him.

That or you know, commission someone maybe on Deviantart. I've seen some amazing cheap commissions from friends

Ryo
May 7, 2012, 12:47 PM
I voted fort he bottom option, not because I think model kits are dumb, but I personally think it's a bit egotistical to hold a contest for just you and you alone. Obviously you said that's sort of the point, but it still rubs me the wrong way. Nothing personal.

I appreciate you sharing your point of view. I don't think it's very egotistical to want art of my character at all, though! I've spent 11 years with him, he's kind of a part of me at this point.

I just figure if I'm putting up money or goods, the contest or what have you should be something that I would bring me lasting enjoyment, just as the prize(s) would hopefully do for the winners.

That being said, it looks like the community is voting down the proposition, so I'll likely see if any individual artists out there would be willing to do an art trade.

AzureBlaze
May 10, 2012, 12:43 AM
Which Elenor is it?
There were quite a few of her, are people not voting because they can't see her, for example?

I've already got 1 of the Elenors (the original) but I also do art. A lot of people jumped out and bought up that first 1, because they didn't think there would be another release.

I think it's a good idea, because everyone* likes an art of their char. If you personally can draw, then people will do an art trade. If you can't, you can do a commission--which can be 'bought' with goods or cash. (IDK of any other way to get art unless its someone doing a free req thread or such)

I've spent since the start of DCPSO with my team, and had the doujinshi with them since about them too. So I say 'yay' for character media!

*I have not yet met a person that said "I would never want to see an art of my char"...but it could be out there.

Ryo
May 10, 2012, 01:05 AM
Which Elenor is it?
There were quite a few of her, are people not voting because they can't see her, for example?

I've already got 1 of the Elenors (the original) but I also do art. A lot of people jumped out and bought up that first 1, because they didn't think there would be another release.

I think it's a good idea, because everyone* likes an art of their char. If you personally can draw, then people will do an art trade. If you can't, you can do a commission--which can be 'bought' with goods or cash. (IDK of any other way to get art unless its someone doing a free req thread or such)

I've spent since the start of DCPSO with my team, and had the doujinshi with them since about them too. So I say 'yay' for character media!

*I have not yet met a person that said "I would never want to see an art of my char"...but it could be out there.

I think it's the first, I bought her as a pre-order, but I'm no expert. Can you tell me how I can tell?

AzureBlaze
May 12, 2012, 11:41 PM
The first Elenor will be:

Pink & gray themed, needing paint to complete her details.
With her will be: Saber, Shot, Handgun
She will have only 1 head and 1 hair (multiple hands)
She will be made of plastic
Her feet are game inaccurate/wrong (little pointy widget feet with fold out backs. RAcaseals have flat/no-heel boot feet...this was later corrected)

Other ones came in yellow, black (I think) there's prob also a blue one. A few came with different hairs. Some have mags with them, others have stuff like Lavis Cannon a rifle, a flesh-tone face & etc. I know there are some figure experts lurking here that can correct this list or add to it. They really went on once the first one was popular.

Ryo
May 14, 2012, 12:08 PM
The first Elenor will be:

Pink & gray themed, needing paint to complete her details.
With her will be: Saber, Shot, Handgun
She will have only 1 head and 1 hair (multiple hands)
She will be made of plastic
Her feet are game inaccurate/wrong (little pointy widget feet with fold out backs. RAcaseals have flat/no-heel boot feet...this was later corrected)

Other ones came in yellow, black (I think) there's prob also a blue one. A few came with different hairs. Some have mags with them, others have stuff like Lavis Cannon a rifle, a flesh-tone face & etc. I know there are some figure experts lurking here that can correct this list or add to it. They really went on once the first one was popular.

Looks like the one on offer is the first one then, sadly :(

Gama
May 14, 2012, 12:26 PM
when i get sum munneys i'm going to have some pso stuff 3d printed. sick of trying to get pso stuff, theyre hard to find! "over here"

Ryo
May 14, 2012, 02:55 PM
when i get sum munneys i'm going to have some pso stuff 3d printed. sick of trying to get pso stuff, theyre hard to find! "over here"

Where would one do that?

Gama
May 14, 2012, 05:20 PM
in my case since i'm studying industrial design, i have access to a 3d printer.

:3

but it produces objects that are a bit fragile "almost like ceramics"

better then nothing. i guess.

i'm still interested in that elenor though.

Ryo
May 22, 2012, 11:20 AM
in my case since i'm studying industrial design, i have access to a 3d printer.

:3

but it produces objects that are a bit fragile "almost like ceramics"

better then nothing. i guess.

i'm still interested in that elenor though.

I'm going to post up your piece and the others I've gathered either tonight or tomorrow and open voting!

VANNO
May 23, 2012, 05:17 PM
Oh dang (꒪Д꒪) I didn't know it started already. *laugh at self* Just wondering if I can still join it and add in a picture by saturday. Honestly I forgot about this topic haha . You can still post up the other images, just consider mine late. 八(^□^; )

Chik'Tikka
May 23, 2012, 05:53 PM
i voted hold a contest, so i have a chance to have her+^_^+ i have no Phantasy Star merchandise at all and Elenor would look awesome next to my lamp on my end table+^_^+ oh i wish i had extra moneys for things like this, (unemployment sux)
EDIT; oh it's an art contest.... i haven't done art stuff since junior high, i wouldn't win, can i take back my vote?

Ryo
May 23, 2012, 05:57 PM
Yup! It's not too late to enter! I'm going to start the contest either tonight or tomorrow, I've been crazy busy, so I'll be gathering up all previously submitted art, and adding any new ones for a few days to a week after, in order to give everyone a chance.

Shadownami92
May 23, 2012, 06:19 PM
Where would one do that?

There is always sites like Shapeways.com

Personally though, this summer, if I get enough money, I plan to build one based on this open source project.

http://www.reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

I do 3d art but I like doing some hands on tech stuff too, so it should be a fun project :D

And if I can salvage enough parts from old scanners and printers I might be able to make one for about $250-$300

BIG OLAF
May 23, 2012, 06:26 PM
Hm, as silly as I found this idea initially, I think it would be fun to hold a contest like this. However, the only piece of Phantasy Star-related swag I could offer is the bronze/silver-finished Magashi figurine from PSU.

(on the left of this image)-

[spoiler-box]http://www.kingplayer.de/images/product_images/info_images/1683_0.jpg[/spoiler-box]

and everyone 'round here hates PSU, and probably wouldn't want that, haha. Suppose you're lucky you have a bit of awesome PSO memorabilia you can use, Ryo. Everyone always wants PSO stuff.

Ami
May 23, 2012, 07:27 PM
Hm, as silly as I found this idea initially, I think it would be fun to hold a contest like this. However, the only piece of Phantasy Star-related swag I could offer is the bronze/silver-finished Magashi figurine from PSU.

[spoiler-box]http://www.kingplayer.de/images/product_images/info_images/1683_0.jpg[/spoiler-box]

and everyone 'round here hates PSU, and probably wouldn't want that, haha. Suppose you're lucky you have a bit of awesome PSO memorabilia you can use, Ryo. Everyone always wants PSO stuff.
If there was a Hyuga one I would enter in a heartbeat ; ~;

Ryo
May 23, 2012, 07:38 PM

That is actually a really awesome piece! I'm going to be looking around for some second and third prizes as well. If you'd like to do a contest I bet you'll get a better than you expect, I sure did!

Gama
May 25, 2012, 08:01 AM
aside from the 3d printing im planing to build lifesize replica of one of there swords... light them up and have it on a wall.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/news/11-18-11/pso2-sword-concept.jpg

Ryo
May 25, 2012, 11:55 AM
aside from the 3d printing im planing to build lifesize replica of one of there swords... light them up and have it on a wall.

OMG, that'd be so badass! I'd pay through the NOSE for life-size PSO weapons.

Shadownami92
May 25, 2012, 09:10 PM

Print out the hilt and laser cut the blade with neon acrylic, I don't know who could laser cut something that big, but IT WOULD BE AMAZING!

https://www.inventables.com/categories/laser-cutting/acrylic-sheets

This site has a lot of different acrylic, and I think you can contact them about custom sheet sizes. Though because of shipping if you can find it locally it would be better...

Gama
May 27, 2012, 04:43 PM
well in my case ill just buy a couple of palight sheets cut them with a cutter, sand them, paint them, the blade ill probbly have to order it from a shop. since its cheaper then buying a clear sheet of acrilic and cutting it.