PDA

View Full Version : What game has the best graphics ever?

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
May 20, 2012, 03:00 PM
This topic has been interesting me recently and I've been wondering what game has the best graphics ever. To clear this up I don't mean styles sake, I mean raw data, things like polygon count and texture resolution, so I also mean a gmae using 3D graphics (because it is much harder to judge the best graphics in 2D games). does anyone know or at least have suggestions? And also, I mean released games.

AC9breaker
May 20, 2012, 03:04 PM
Noby Noby Boy

Chik'Tikka
May 20, 2012, 03:04 PM
FF-XX, the U.N. been hiding it from us as it only runs on the Pentagon mainframe right now+^_^+ i expect a release sometime between 2020-2025+^_^+

Palle
May 20, 2012, 03:29 PM
Noby Noby Boy
Where is the upvote button? WHERE IS THE UPVOTE BUTTON?!

Zyrusticae
May 20, 2012, 06:57 PM
This is kind of a loaded question, as the answer will constantly be changing with the times.

But I suppose, to answer it, I would give three answers:

1. Skyrim with ENB Series mod and custom high-poly models and high-resolution textures,
2. Crysis 2 with the DX11 update and high-res texture pack, and
3. The Witcher 2

I suppose Battlefield 3 should rank up there, but aesthetically, it's a wash. YMMV.

NoiseHERO
May 20, 2012, 07:35 PM
PSO2...

Just. PSO2.

Roger Triton
May 20, 2012, 07:40 PM
This topic has been interesting me recently and I've been wondering what game has the best graphics ever. To clear this up I don't mean styles sake, I mean raw data, things like polygon count and texture resolution, so I also mean a gmae using 3D graphics (because it is much harder to judge the best graphics in 2D games). does anyone know or at least have suggestions? And also, I mean released games.
best troll topic on PSO-W EVARR!!
*clicks like button
*tweets

Oh and of course the answer is StarCraft. Why else would 99% of the Korean game-playing population spend exactly 85 hours a week playing it?

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
May 20, 2012, 09:38 PM
I honestly wanted an answer, so thank you Zyrusticae, for bothering to give one, though I was hoping for a vanilla (meaning not modded) game, I hear Crysis 2 and battlefield 3 mentioned a lot when I google this topic

Reksanden
May 20, 2012, 09:48 PM
Honestly, it's up to you to decide. I prefer sprite based games over others, but that's me.

blace
May 20, 2012, 10:35 PM
Where is the upvote button? WHERE IS THE UPVOTE BUTTON?!
I second this, and I need to redownload that game again.

Blue-Hawk
May 21, 2012, 09:07 AM
What game has the best graphics ever? Real Life. And the requirments are very little. Cheap, too, in some places. :P

-Crokar-
May 21, 2012, 08:24 PM
super mario bros on the nes

CelestialBlade
May 21, 2012, 08:39 PM
So what exactly defines "best" graphics anyway?

Nitro Vordex
May 21, 2012, 08:43 PM
Superman 64.

Sayara
May 21, 2012, 08:44 PM
The end.

CelestialBlade
May 21, 2012, 09:23 PM
Superman 64.
Best answer possible.

Palle
May 21, 2012, 11:08 PM
Superman 64.
What makes you say that?

:jpsmile:

goldwing
May 21, 2012, 11:17 PM
Guys guys guys!!! Clearly its a fight between powerstone 1 and 2 or space channel five take ur pick. O dont forget spawn

Randomness
May 21, 2012, 11:27 PM
Pong.

goldwing
May 21, 2012, 11:30 PM
Pong.

Aw man.... cant beat the classics

yoshiblue
May 22, 2012, 10:02 PM
Shenmue

NoiseHERO
May 22, 2012, 10:09 PM
Shenmue

I see....................

AC9breaker
May 22, 2012, 10:33 PM
E.T. The game

~Inu~
May 22, 2012, 11:34 PM
E.T. The game

^This.
When I played that I was shocked at the amazing graphics, I tried to put my hand into the screen. Then I fell into a pit.

goldwing
May 23, 2012, 12:39 AM
E.T. The game

Make me wanna look it up

Ark22
May 23, 2012, 03:50 AM
Adventure for the Atari. Combat system is the best too.

Shinji Kazuya
May 23, 2012, 04:21 AM
Crysis 2 and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception in 3D.

Noblewine
May 26, 2012, 11:36 PM
Okami, that game was epic and had amazing graphics!

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
May 26, 2012, 11:46 PM
Okami, that game was epic and had amazing graphics!

Though I agree with you, I love that game, what I was looking for was not style but just raw graphics, which Okami, seeing as it isn't on one of the HD consoles or PC, doesn't have even though it has a very unique and beautiful art style in its own right.

Keilyn
May 29, 2012, 01:35 PM
Oblivion actually looks better than Skyrim when full HDR support exists.

I'll explain below:

Our Color Scale is three Eight Bit registers of Red, Green and Blue. This means there are 256 shades of Reds, 256 shades of Blue and 256 Shades of Green. These are controlled by Hexadecimal where 00 = Black and FF = 256 = Full Color. This adds up to 16.7 million colors (256x256x256)

Ok,

Now comes the problem:

Aside from colors there are bright and dark lighting effects. To improve visual Quality, 2 more bits are added and we have 10 bits, this means 4x256 allows for 1024 shades of Red, Green and Blue, which account for 1.07 Billion Colors.

Most LCD monitors display 24 bit color today at 16.7 million, which means even if you enable HDR in a video card, you will see improved visuals, but not everything.

I own a 32 bit CRT widescreen monitor and a 24 bit LCD monitor. Since the mid 90s, CRT monitors were capable of rendering in 32 bit color, then when LCD began, few of them gave you 24 bit, today they all give you 24 bit, but few give you full 32 bits, since the Response time would be a lot slower.

CRTs had 10 - 100x faster response time, but they were bulky, took up space and consumed more power, but their color correction was top notch.

If you played Oblivion with a Full 32 bit CRT monitor with HDR Enabled in-game and in the Configuration Files to max, you would see that Oblivion actually has better graphics with full HDR than Skyrim.

I could post a screenshot, but once again the same problem exists.

If you view a pair of screenshots on a 24 bit monitor, they will both come out as 24 bit. If you view both screenshots in 32 bits, you will see the difference.

This is the VERY REASON WHY Industrial Light and Magic, Pixar Animation Studios, Dreamworks Entertainment use Super-Expensive Monitors when making their CGIs, to have things like this available.

So the games with the best graphics are all the games that have FULL HDR Support along with a monitor capable of seeing everything and a system capable of seeing all.

By graphics I look at lightning and textures, not Geometry because that is actually part of Map Construction.

I am sure 1.07 billion colors, specially in explosions is better than 16.7 million ^^

EvilMag
May 29, 2012, 01:40 PM
Play Twilight Princess with Anti aliasing. Looks beautiful.

Chik'Tikka
May 29, 2012, 01:59 PM
Play Twilight Princess with Anti aliasing. Looks beautiful.

play twilight princess on the dolphin at full 1080p, looks even better+^_^+

Akaimizu
May 29, 2012, 02:10 PM
I would say (though we aren't talking realtime graphics) that updated or late games in the Myst series may have to take that title. Absolutely gorgeous graphics, locales, and artwork. Definitely graphics that are mesmerizing and draw you in. Just don't count it when you move around and such. :)

Outrider
May 29, 2012, 04:16 PM
Though I agree with you, I love that game, what I was looking for was not style but just raw graphics, which Okami, seeing as it isn't on one of the HD consoles or PC, doesn't have even though it has a very unique and beautiful art style in its own right.

Simply put, that's not quantifiable in any way.

There is no such thing as "raw graphics." If you're asking for "best graphics," the only correct answer is a subjective answer.

So what are you asking, then? Which games pumped out the most raw polygons? The most complex shaders? The most characters on screen at once?

Are you simply asking which game has the most impressive graphics technology? That's not really an artistic discussion at all. It's still subjective, but it's a much more of a technical discussion than anything else.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
May 29, 2012, 04:46 PM
Simply put, that's not quantifiable in any way.

There is no such thing as "raw graphics." If you're asking for "best graphics," the only correct answer is a subjective answer.

So what are you asking, then? Which games pumped out the most raw polygons? The most complex shaders? The most characters on screen at once?

Are you simply asking which game has the most impressive graphics technology? That's not really an artistic discussion at all. It's still subjective, but it's a much more of a technical discussion than anything else.

I wasn't looking for artistic discussion, I did want this:"Which games pumped out the most raw polygons? The most complex shaders? The most characters on screen at once?" I'm just curious, I know the information is useless.

Noblewine
Jun 6, 2012, 09:33 PM

Shadow of the Colosus?

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 7, 2012, 04:49 PM
Shadow of the Colosus?

Same deal here as with Okami (though SoTC is tied for my favorite game ever), though if you read some of my comments I'm really looking for raw data, nothing stylistic, just the most polygons, the objective kind of things.

Coatl
Jun 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
omg sence i m a PSO fan i will jus say PSO2 haz best graphix everrrr
/o/
all oter gaems have sux graphixx

kaydie
Jun 21, 2012, 12:56 PM
WOD from CCP, using the carbon engine.

itll probally revolutionize third person mmorpg graphics, in the same way that eve broke some major graphic records in the past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf26ZhHz6uM&feature=player_embedded :D