PDA

View Full Version : Clan/Guild Structure & Breakdown

spade88
Jun 3, 2012, 09:11 AM
I felt like creating this topic to dig deeper into everyone on PSO-World to see what kind of Clan/Guild structures exist.

What attracts you to these Clans or Guilds in general, and what kind of names stick out that just grab your attention the most. Do you like finding Clans or Guilds who have their names that make reference to anime/movies/video games/manga/novels?

Are you a casual gamer who joins at random, out of curiosity, with the crowd, or maybe have been recruited?(of course their are other reasons)

Do you prefer Clans or Guilds who are on the dark side, or maybe you enjoy allying yourself with the light (we all have our reasons). Maybe you prefer an active group who is online a lot vs other groups who are not. The reasons are endlessly vast, but that's why I am taking the time to ask you here and now.

What features do you enjoy about a clan/guild:

- Website or forum
- Their own ventrilo, Mumble, Skype, Tinychat channel
- Multiple Game involvement - (clan/guild in most games)
- Having a private Server
- YouTube Walkthrough Clips (A Tips & Trick section or Q&A)
- Recruiting advertisements (either YouTube or custom drawn art work)
- Facebook or Twitter page
- Merchandise
- Population of members (the size of the clan/guild)
- Hours of operation (Schedule, Time, Location of events)
- Noob support for incoming new members
- PK (player killer) Protection
- Clan/Guild bank or storage (a vault with weapons/money/etc)

(Their is more, but I wanted to give a few examples)

Example of a Recruitment Video:
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsy2fX1cEqw&feature=related[/SPOILER-BOX]

I enjoy making Clans or Guilds myself vs joining an over crowded group who's hardly ever active or worse have no time for new members. okay now that was only a few reasons why I wouldn't join, and to be honest sometimes I just don't like half the players. We all have our own way of playing, and sometimes you just don't want others holding you back because their either to new, weak player, annoyingly asking questions, or your just intimidated for whatever reasons.

Why do some users feel the need to join so many Clans or Guilds instead of stick with just one? A common answer I receive from some users would be that most Clans or Guilds do not cover your current game, never on long enough or at all, they no longer exist, members have split up, character banning, and so much more. It does become a hassle to start over with a new group and prove your worthiness when really you just want to play or be social.

Games and anime that influenced me:

- .Hack//sign (and all other anime seasons)
- Ragnarok (anime not the game)
- Accel World (Anime)
- Mass Effect (all three games)
- Angel Beats! (Anime)
- Gundam (and all other anime seasons)
- FFXI (PS2/PC/xbox 360)
- PSO (Obviously)
- D & D
- Air Gear (Anime)
- Naruto (anime)
- One Piece (Anime)
- Bleach (Anime)
- Fairy Tail (Anime)

(Their are so much more, and I just wanted to keep it short)

If you could find that one Clan or Guild that did it all for you how likely would you stay with them? Would you even invent your friends offline to join or keep it your personal life separate? If you found an ultimate Clan or Group that is trying to define themselves as different and new aged what tips would you give them?

I know I try to stay away from saying things I shouldn't, but what if a Clan or Guild requires you to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) would you sign or just laugh at it. (Some teams at the MLGs are required to sign)
This agreement could entail you not joining other groups, not spamming other forums with adds, and of course restrictions on your gaming access would be implemented. (I don't see the harm in having some order in an online community, but it shouldn't feel like a monarchy)

Best websites to launch your Clan or Guild (the short list):

- [SPOILER-BOX]http://www.guildlaunch.com[/SPOILER-BOX]
- [SPOILER-BOX]http://www.gamerdna.com[/SPOILER-BOX]
- [SPOILER-BOX]http://www.enjin.com/[/SPOILER-BOX]
- [SPOILER-BOX]http://www.guildhosting.org/[/SPOILER-BOX]

Post down below, and tell me your thoughts (or through your shoe at me :P)

spade88
Jun 4, 2012, 01:28 AM
Was hoping for more of a reaction from users on here who are active in some online games.

Their are so many different views from players out their and I was hoping to hear from a few.

blace
Jun 4, 2012, 01:40 AM
The times I have joined a Guild/Clan was with some good friends in those games.

However, due to the high strung nature of everyone in the groups and the emphasis on better improving the Guild/Clan, I gave up on them entirely. I was a bit of a anti social individual already, doing things on my own, but having to have new members join and learning the ropes I can handle, just not the multitude of people hunting me down to either join the group or because I'm a member of said faction because of some individuals that wronged them.

In short, too much drama for me to even bother. If you have some good friends, start it small and keep it that way or join a group that suits your very needs. You'll be hunting around a bit if you don't find that one Guild/Clan that sees eye to eye on the same issues.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 4, 2012, 02:11 AM
I'm with the DeePinPink clan on Call Of Duty elite, they paid for my membership when the clan leader got sick of seeing me get top of the leader-board in the clan for clan ops and none of it counting towards clan EXP+^_^+ otherwise, I've always been sort of a nomad when it comes to clans/guilds, however I'm hoping to start off PSO2 with a team here on the PSOW forums and use the irc/mumble to help make us the best team on ship 2+^_^+

spade88
Jun 4, 2012, 02:18 AM
I'm with the DeePinPink clan on Call Of Duty elite, they paid for my membership when the clan leader got sick of seeing me get top of the leader-board in the clan for clan ops and none of it counting towards clan EXP+^_^+ otherwise, I've always been sort of a nomad when it comes to clans/guilds, however I'm hoping to start off PSO2 with a team here on the PSOW forums and use the irc/mumble to help make us the best team on ship 2+^_^+

I like the fact you are also trying to putting together a Clan or Guild for the upcoming PSO2 release.

NoiseHERO
Jun 4, 2012, 02:20 AM
Look up guilds on encyclopedia dramatica.(The site got destroyed but some fanboys made a clone with all it's data, I think.)

That's my definition of every guild I've bared witness to outside of a few I've joined only for casual conversation/regular play dates.

spade88
Jun 4, 2012, 02:29 AM
The times I have joined a Guild/Clan was with some good friends in those games.

However, due to the high strung nature of everyone in the groups and the emphasis on better improving the Guild/Clan, I gave up on them entirely. I was a bit of a anti social individual already, doing things on my own, but having to have new members join and learning the ropes I can handle, just not the multitude of people hunting me down to either join the group or because I'm a member of said faction because of some individuals that wronged them.

In short, too much drama for me to even bother. If you have some good friends, start it small and keep it that way or join a group that suits your very needs. You'll be hunting around a bit if you don't find that one Guild/Clan that sees eye to eye on the same issues.

I can relate to that kind of situation, on WoW w/ a set guild who was known for their numbers recruited me. After awhile they ignored new recruits and left them to level up on their own without training them properly. Then out of the blue they were getting Pked at random by a rogue guild which were targeting all members of my former guild and anyone affiliated with it.

Their is a guild from .hack//GU that I enjoyed watching even though they had a bad reputation for Pking players:

'Kestrel"

http://www.dothackers.net/kestrel.gif

Chik'Tikka
Jun 4, 2012, 02:30 AM
I like the fact you are also trying to putting together a Clan or Guild for the upcoming PSO2 release.

lol, i meant start off with a team, not to lead one+^_^+ I'm too erratic and prone to not playing for several months at a time for that+^_^+

spade88
Jun 4, 2012, 02:37 AM
lol, i meant start off with a team, not to lead one+^_^+ I'm too erratic and prone to not playing for several months at a time for that+^_^+

I understand what you were saying :)

It's nice to log on and just join a small group for some quick leveling up and completion of quests. I'm just saying if you play with that group long enough you kinda never want that feeling to end.

Sounds like a cults pipe dream to me lol...but its not I was just trying to point out that a guild or clan with enough supremacy could really have something their..

A dominant community with tight acceptance rate reminds me of FFXI or linage 2

Zeota
Jun 4, 2012, 01:55 PM
You forgot another site.

Guildwork (http://www.guildwork.com)

It was created by a pretty well-known FFXI player and a friend of his. They both left their jobs back in 2009/2010 to create this site. Not only does it have guild hosting but also a boatload of social networking features.

BIG OLAF
Jun 4, 2012, 02:06 PM
I dislike pretty much any clan and/or guild in any game, and try to avoid them to the best of my ability. As good as they may start out, they always end up in drama wars, and egregious in-fighting, due to one or two guys that have to be bitches about something or another. This usually leads to the clan ripping apart 9/10 times, at least in my experiences.

I should know, I was one of "those guys" that ripped a clan apart over something stupid a long time ago. Lost a lot of good friends over it.

I only joined a guild in TERA because party play is required for parts of the story, and getting a pick-up group together with randoms gets brutally tough once you're a higher level.

I say it's better just to find a group of friends and all play together. It's like a guild, but without unnecessary hierarchies and politics.

spade88
Jun 5, 2012, 11:46 AM
I dislike pretty much any clan and/or guild in any game, and try to avoid them to the best of my ability. As good as they may start out, they always end up in drama wars, and egregious in-fighting, due to one or two guys that have to be bitches about something or another. This usually leads to the clan ripping apart 9/10 times, at least in my experiences.

I should know, I was one of "those guys" that ripped a clan apart over something stupid a long time ago. Lost a lot of good friends over it.

I only joined a guild in TERA because party play is required for parts of the story, and getting a pick-up group together with randoms gets brutally tough once you're a higher level.

I say it's better just to find a group of friends and all play together. It's like a guild, but without unnecessary hierarchies and politics.

Thats one way of looking at things, and i totally understand that.

I enjoy offline modes on some games but when it is necessarily needed I do join or create groups.

I like the sense of power but more to the point the amount of support I get when running something. I feel i can help other players benefit more by providing support in any way I can....long as they keep coming back for more and spreading the word

AC9breaker
Jun 5, 2012, 07:39 PM
Are you autistic or something, why the hell are you typing like that?

Any way, I've been wanting to respond to this thread for a while to share my thoughts, but it seems like these days I prefer to wait for the weekend when I'm not doing shit to post anything that will usually be longer then a paragraph.

LK1721
Jun 6, 2012, 11:10 PM
Everytime I've joined a guild one of three things usually happened:

One, due to ridiculous infighting, it simply fell apart.

Another scenario, I joined a larger guild but only played with a handful of people who were usually on at the same times I was, and continued to play with them long after the guild shriveled up and died.

Lastly, it was really just a casual group of friends who created a guild for kicks and essentially it stayed that way for as long as we all played (This was mostly in PSOBB, I was in this super casual guild "Team RYUDO" but we did manage to place in one of the Max Attack tournaments despite that)

After my experiences with guilds, I've tended to stay faaar away from guilds unless they're of the last type, which isn't really a "guild" per say.

spade88
Jun 20, 2012, 06:28 PM
The more closer the PSO2 countdown clock gets their more I hear players offline attempt to already form guilds.

AC9breaker
Jun 20, 2012, 09:11 PM
Back when the original PSO was out on Dreamcast, being part of a guild or clan felt like such a necessary thing to avoid getting your shit ganked, being PK, getting NOL'D and various other shitty things that use to go on. Once we got to the Gamecube, XBox era it was no longer necessary. Guilds however can really enhance your experience on a game and make the experience very special. It's nice to surmount a challenge and get through a tough boss fight with the aid of others, it's amazing to share that experience with people you actually care about.

I've been playing with the same group of internet friends for close to 10 years now and consider them to be as much friends as people I've grown up with in real life, because in a sense I kinda have grown up with them too. A guild is a bonfire of souls, a shared cab ride with a stranger. It has the potential to be whatever you make of it. An amazing moment in your life that exists outside the mundane routines of lifes normal mode of operation, or an achingly souring experience which can not be over soon enough. You just have to find the right guild or should I say, the right group of people for you. The other things that guilds do such as events, ranking structure and organizations, goals, should be superfluous to what is most important, and that is the people.

spade88
Jun 20, 2012, 09:19 PM
Back when the original PSO was out on Dreamcast, being part of a guild or clan felt like such a necessary thing to avoid getting your shit ganked, being PK, getting NOL'D and various other shitty things that use to go on. Once we got to the Gamecube, XBox era it was no longer necessary. Guilds however can really enhance your experience on a game and make the experience very special. It's nice to surmount a challenge and get through a tough boss fight with the aid of others, it's amazing to share that experience with people you actually care about.

I've been playing with the same group of internet friends for close to 10 years now and consider them to be as much friends as people I've grown up with in real life, because in a sense I kinda have grown up with them too. A guild is a bonfire of souls, a shared cab ride with a stranger. It has the potential to be whatever you make of it. An amazing moment in your life that exists outside the mundane routines of lifes normal mode of operation, or an achingly souring experience which can not be over soon enough. You just have to find the right guild or should I say, the right group of people for you. The other things that guilds do such as events, ranking structure and organizations, goals, should be superfluous to what is most important, and that is the people.

I have to agree with you 100%