PDA

View Full Version : 3DS XL announced

.Rusty.
Jun 22, 2012, 05:56 AM
http://i.imgur.com/mnOLJ.jpg

90% larger screens and longer battery life. Lack of 2nd circle pad is kinda surprising.

Blackheart521
Jun 22, 2012, 05:57 AM
Saw that one comin, even bigger 3D things :-o

NoiseHERO
Jun 22, 2012, 06:06 AM
/bought a 3DS last week

I'd say "Not a single fuck was given" But I do have an opinion on this:

"MEEEEHHHHHHHHHH"

.Rusty.
Jun 22, 2012, 06:12 AM
Kingdom hearts and theatrhythm demos are up on the eshop as well.

NoiseHERO
Jun 22, 2012, 06:14 AM
Yeah I was gonna download KH then the 3DS reminded me of it's battery life...

DayDreamer
Jun 22, 2012, 06:18 AM
The battery life on the 3ds XL is alot better then then regular 3ds. I would go trade in my 3ds and put some money together for the 3dsxl..if it had another circle pad. I also find it nice being able to you know..fit a portable device IN MY POCKET!
EDIT:yes i know that, I remember being huged against an outlet for many hours even with my GBA
|
|
V

.Rusty.
Jun 22, 2012, 06:18 AM
Er You can still use it when its pluged in the the wall ya know hell it even boosts the screen brightness.

NoiseHERO
Jun 22, 2012, 06:21 AM
Er You can still use it when its pluged in the the wall ya know hell it even boosts the screen brightness.

I still wouldn't start download. D8

Then again I didn't try longer than a minute.

By now the batteries are full.

DayDreamer
Jun 22, 2012, 06:23 AM
Kingdom hearts and theatrhythm demos are up on the eshop as well.

I see Kingdom Hearts, dont see theatrhythm :c

.Rusty.
Jun 22, 2012, 06:26 AM
Oh looks like its EU only for now. We also got a 20% sale on a few eshop games.

NoiseHERO
Jun 22, 2012, 06:57 AM
KH Demo really short, seems the game jumps straight into the whole Twewy cross-over. I feel like in the process they killed Twewy's style. D:

DayDreamer
Jun 22, 2012, 07:29 AM
KH Demo really short, seems the game jumps straight into the whole Twewy cross-over. I feel like in the process they killed Twewy's style. D:

I never liked KH, but the combat system in this is really good o.e
Along with the whole "flowmotion" actions you can perform on the environment and your enemy's.
Still I hate disney to much to buy it :c

Akaimizu
Jun 22, 2012, 09:15 AM
Holy abandonment of Second Analogue , batman! Not sure what they were thinking not using the extra little space to fit the second analogue in. Can't even use the original circle pad pro on it now. While yeah, Capcom's RE Revelation is just one game, I would've thought Nintendo would've made the concession for Monster Hunter, and games that would follow it. The XL without the other analogue makes an attachment impractical.

So I guess that hardware support is going bye bye. Which is funny since at least one of their announced games has circle pad pro support.

.Rusty.
Jun 22, 2012, 10:41 AM
They probably wanna keep the button layout the same on all models and its not like makeing a big version of the add on is impossible.

DayDreamer
Jun 22, 2012, 11:55 AM
This lists basicly all the problems I have with the 3ds and how they can be fixed.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://media.ign.com/games/image/article/122/1220512/Redesigning3DSInfographic_3_1331499079.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

darkante
Jun 22, 2012, 12:10 PM
Guess they love trolling people. A second circle pad is given...but nooo.

Akaimizu
Jun 22, 2012, 12:12 PM
Maybe. While they could technically do an attachment for it. It's getting bigger then. I think the biggest troll goes to all them Monster Hunters. Otherwise, it seems decent. Didn't hear what the new battery life would be.

DayDreamer
Jun 22, 2012, 12:26 PM
Maybe. While they could technically do an attachment for it. It's getting bigger then. I think the biggest troll goes to all them Monster Hunters. Otherwise, it seems decent. Didn't hear what the new battery life would be. Yea but it would of boosted Kid Icarus Uprising's reviews, the second circle pad would have gotten rid of all the complaints people were having (which btw, the controls are fine once you get use to them, im not saying they couldnt be better but they arent as horrible as some reviewers made them out to be)

.Rusty.
Jun 22, 2012, 12:34 PM
Yea but it would of boosted Kid Icarus Uprising's reviews, the second circle pad would have gotten rid of all the complaints people were having (which btw, the controls are fine once you get use to them, im not saying they couldnt be better but they arent as horrible as some reviewers made them out to be)

You can get a twinstick set up if change it so you move with the buttons and aim with the pad.But it might suck if you are right handed.

Outrider
Jun 22, 2012, 12:36 PM
Holy abandonment of Second Analogue , batman! Not sure what they were thinking not using the extra little space to fit the second analogue in. Can't even use the original circle pad pro on it now. While yeah, Capcom's RE Revelation is just one game, I would've thought Nintendo would've made the concession for Monster Hunter, and games that would follow it. The XL without the other analogue makes an attachment impractical.

So I guess that hardware support is going bye bye. Which is funny since at least one of their announced games has circle pad pro support.

Yeah, a little surprised that they didn't include a second stick, especially with Monster Hunter 4 coming out on the 3DS.

Though, this pretty much confirms that it's not a priority outside of a small handful of games. Aside from Monster Hunter I don't see much more support for the current accessory or the (hypothetical) 3DS XL version.

This lists basicly all the problems I have with the 3ds and how they can be fixed.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://media.ign.com/games/image/article/122/1220512/Redesigning3DSInfographic_3_1331499079.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

They could have added the thumbstick since current 3DS owners could add that support via an additional accessory, but things like dual cameras inside? Not likely to happen. That splits the userbase without any way for legacy users to properly compensate.

DayDreamer
Jun 22, 2012, 01:06 PM
But it might suck if you are right handed.
It does.. xD
I stuck with the circle pad and stylus option through entire game.
The "3ds stand" that came with that game helped a.l.o.t though..

Akaimizu
Jun 22, 2012, 01:26 PM
Aside from Monster Hunter I don't see much more support for the current accessory or the (hypothetical) 3DS XL version.

Well, mostly Capcom. Monster Hunter. Further Resident Evil games. Perhaps a followup to Kid Icarus supporting the new pad as an option. etc. Lots of potential especially since the original Circle Pad is available for the original system, the change wouldn't alienate the masses at all. My only guess is that they are afraid of games coming out that might force the use of the 2nd analogue.

.Rusty.
Jun 22, 2012, 02:34 PM
It does.. xD
I stuck with the circle pad and stylus option through entire game.
The "3ds stand" that came with that game helped a.l.o.t though..

Well thats a shame its one of the best games nintendo have made in years if you can get used to the controls. Well multiplayer was kinda meh but whaterver :bored:

DayDreamer
Jun 22, 2012, 02:37 PM
Well thats a shame its one of the best games nintendo have made in years if you can get used to the controls. Well multiplayer was kinda meh but whaterver :bored:

Im glad you agree, the multiplayer needed a bit more depth though. The replay value isnt really there unless you do ever single thing in the "vault"

But back on topic..

Xefi
Jun 22, 2012, 03:56 PM
i dont have a 3ds yet. hmm...i might give this one a try since it has
bigger screen than original. if not or i change my mind, i'll just buy a Vita instead. :cat:

Outrider
Jun 22, 2012, 04:07 PM
Well, mostly Capcom. Monster Hunter. Further Resident Evil games. Perhaps a followup to Kid Icarus supporting the new pad as an option. etc. Lots of potential especially since the original Circle Pad is available for the original system, the change wouldn't alienate the masses at all. My only guess is that they are afraid of games coming out that might force the use of the 2nd analogue.

Right, though that's something they could have remedied by adding a second pad to all future revisions of the hardware. That way, they only have to worry about users with the original 3DS, who can just upgrade or buy the accessory.

Of course, now it's more of an issue. Let's say the third version of the hardware has the second pad built in. Well, then Nintendo needs to not only support the original analog pad add-on, but also a 3DS XL version as well. Ugh. Just a mess.

So users will still have to keep buying accessories. So long as it's an unnecessary accessory, I don't really see it being used very much.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 22, 2012, 04:31 PM
Do we know what material the system will be made out of (the outside stuff that you physically hold I mean) because if it's like the DSi's then I will probably buy it even though I have a 3DS already, strangely enough, my biggest problem with the 3DS is the material, it feels awful and smudges terribly

DayDreamer
Jun 22, 2012, 05:32 PM
The gloss cover? Smudge city? I have the same problem with it.
It seems to be made of the same material the Dsi was made out of though.. which is a VERY good thing.

.Rusty.
Jun 23, 2012, 12:03 PM
Im glad you agree, the multiplayer needed a bit more depth though. The replay value isnt really there unless you do ever single thing in the "vault"

But back on topic..

I thought the singleplayer had good replay value what with the the weapon hunting/crafting, difficulty levels and that crazy achievement list.
Multiplayer was a bit of a mess because of the weapon and power balance. Filling in empty spots with A.I players was a good idea and more games need to do that.

The Theatrhythm demo is a lot better than i was expecting. But the preorder price is a lot lower than most games so im worried about lack of content in the base game.

NegaTsukasa
Jun 23, 2012, 12:12 PM
Things from Nintendo are starting to look more like an apple product. welcome the iDS.

looks slick. don't know if I will get one though. I'm pretty good with my original thick DS (the tank as I call it) for now.
[spoiler-box]http://www.gaminggenerations.com/store/images/images_extra/ds_original_grey.gif[/spoiler-box]

Dragwind
Jun 23, 2012, 02:19 PM
If I didn't already have my Zelda edition 3DS, I would have chased after the XL.

CupOfCoffee
Jun 23, 2012, 02:51 PM
I don't plan to buy a new 3DS, but if I did, I wouldn't particularly mourn the lack of a second circle pad. So far I've only heard of one game that needs both circles, and any prospective shooters they might have been thinking about bringing to 3DS would almost certainly be better with a mouse and keyboard anyway (in my opinion, of course).

I had/have a DSXL that I actually liked pretty well, but the huge, blocky pixels did tend to get on my nerves a little. I don't have eyesight problems and would generally prefer a smaller screen with a higher pixel density. I also think the black bevel around the original 3DS's upper screen looks nicer than the XL's colored plastic.

Lightshow in the sky
Jun 23, 2012, 06:48 PM
...I knew this was coming, yet I bought a 3DS anyway. Er...I regret nothing!

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 23, 2012, 09:52 PM
The gloss cover? Smudge city? I have the same problem with it.
It seems to be made of the same material the Dsi was made out of though.. which is a VERY good thing.

thank you, at least someone else has the same sentement :-P , most of my friends seem to like it, but I've got to agree with you, the DSi had a really awesome feel IMO

NoiseHERO
Jun 23, 2012, 11:30 PM
Am I the only one who likes shiny surfaces on my consoles/hardware? D:

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Jun 23, 2012, 11:34 PM
I freaking loved the DSi XL.
With that said, lack of second Circle pad/circle pad pro, and making everything system bound (you can transfer everything to the next system but both systems need to be present. Sucks if you have alot of games, and wanna do a trade-in.. Account bound like XBL/PSN would be WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better.) I don't see much of a reason to get this..

Nitro Vordex
Jun 28, 2012, 02:43 AM
Am I the only one who likes shiny surfaces on my consoles/hardware? D:
If it wasn't something I touched constantly (aka portable HANDheld) then yeah.