PDA

View Full Version : Mission Tips for Catardran?

Natsuma
Jun 23, 2012, 05:04 PM
Hi,
the title says it all

I'm really struggling succeeding Koffee's mission by getting a S-rank and killing Catardran in the Caves within 16 minutes.

For those who succeeded, could you give me your tips?
I'm a melee warrior level 15.

Thanks!

Zyrusticae
Jun 23, 2012, 05:07 PM
My first suggestion? Don't do it alone. Caterdran's really rough for melee characters as it is, doing it alone is just asking for pain.

Second suggestion? Get a nice ice weapon, grind it as high as you can. Damage is everything.

Randomness
Jun 23, 2012, 05:09 PM
My first suggestion? Don't do it alone. Caterdran's really rough for melee characters as it is, doing it alone is just asking for pain.

Second suggestion? Get a nice ice weapon, grind it as high as you can. Damage is everything.

Doing it in a party of 2 is bad also - you just end up with two to kill.

And yeah, hunters have it rough on the bastard. Rangers and forces can let NPCs take hits and unload.

SolaceIX
Jun 23, 2012, 05:52 PM
It's not THAT hard to do as a hunter. Just remember to block at the right times and you'll be fine.

HFlowen
Jun 23, 2012, 05:53 PM
Super-Secret: With caterdran/rockbears, the amount that spawn depend on how many players enter the boss arena at the start. So you could have a party of four and just let the leader enter alone at the start and you'll only face one caterdran.

Scotty T
Jun 23, 2012, 06:09 PM
Try do a mid-air combo to get air time to avoid the sweep (while hes breathing that crap out his mouth). I use wired lance and do rising fall (one where u grab and jump verticly then slam to the ground), can do 1k hits on the weak spot. When he growls hes gonna jab at you, so try evade towards the middle part of his body at the side. When he does the "C" shaped slam just hug his middle and stay there.

Neith
Jun 23, 2012, 06:31 PM
Get a poison weapon.

Poison ticks for 800+ on Caterdra'n and completely wastes them.

Randomness
Jun 23, 2012, 06:53 PM
Get a poison weapon.

Poison ticks for 800+ on Caterdra'n and completely wastes them.

Holy shit. So, what does it say on the weapon for poison, then?

I just finished this after getting into a good group - three players against two bosses. Decimation ensues.

Neith
Jun 23, 2012, 07:13 PM
Holy shit. So, what does it say on the weapon for poison, then?

I just finished this after getting into a good group - three players against two bosses. Decimation ensues.

In the abilities for the weapon it'll say something like ポイズン. Might take a little while for the poison to land but I usually get it a couple of times a fight against a boss. Not sure if you can Burn Caterdra'n (like you can burn Rockbears) but Poison works wonders.

Lyric
Jun 23, 2012, 07:56 PM
Honestly it's not that difficult to fight with a Hunter. The time limit will get you, though. It may not do as much damage as a full-sword, but sticking close to it's side and using a partisan or gunslash is quite easy. It can't really hit you when you do this as long as you figure out it's attack pattern. Just dodge at the right moments.

Really, you want to have a party with you if you want to nail the time goal, though.

Angelo
Jun 23, 2012, 09:05 PM
I can do it relatively easy with a Hunter, almost never getting hit.

Stand in front of it with a sword and use Just Block, and then when Just Counter queues hit it quick with a PA in it's exposed soft area and just keep repeating that. It will just cycle this attack and do nothing else.

mhjc
Jun 23, 2012, 09:43 PM
Try do a mid-air combo to get air time to avoid the sweep (while hes breathing that crap out his mouth). I use wired lance and do rising fall (one where u grab and jump verticly then slam to the ground), can do 1k hits on the weak spot. When he growls hes gonna jab at you, so try evade towards the middle part of his body at the side. When he does the "C" shaped slam just hug his middle and stay there.

I do this against basically every boss, its pretty simple.

Omega-z
Jun 23, 2012, 11:27 PM
I would agree that a 50% ice Weapon (most likely sword for more DPS) with the Poison ability would work very well. And upping the poison rate help's too it does more tick dmg and better landing rate too. The Party trick is nice too, If your not in a Party use NPC's to soak the dmg and time his attacks accordingly. Oh and give your self enough time to get Mob point's and still be able to have time to fight boss in 16 mins.

Adelheid
Jun 23, 2012, 11:44 PM
Uh, this boss is ridiculously easy. All of his attacks are jokes to avoid... just sit on his rear leg and dash inv frame his attacks.

What are the rules here about posting links? I have a video of me killing this boss with a strat that may be helpful.

moorebounce
Jun 23, 2012, 11:48 PM
If you done your client orders and got the NPCs partner cards use them if you can't get help. Also rush through the maps as quick as you can but killing everything you come accross. If you can get a least one of each class it shouldn't take that long to kill it.

Adelheid
Jun 23, 2012, 11:53 PM
Also, people vastly overestimate how many mobs you need to kill to get S.

If you do what moorebounce says, just go to the boss and kill everything you come across... chances are thats enough to get S, maybe you'll need to kill a few more if you get lucky and end up taking a path straight to the boss, but really the time limits are VERY lenient. You should be able to finish with minutes on the timer.

I read the rules and I guess this might fall under advertisement... but I'm obviously not making any money from this and it's pertinent to this discussion. This is a video of me fighting Caterdran, doesn't really matter what weapon you use you can do what I am doing here, some dash invulnerability frames help. Just focus on avoiding damage and using PAs when he stretches out. Watch in 1080p because it's pretty.

http://youtu.be/3X8SuO0wLkc

Edit: Also if you feel like it you can hit the tail until it breaks at which point it becomes a weak point that is always exposed. But until then it isn't a weak point.

ciroth
Jun 24, 2012, 06:56 AM
Take a full party,

Let PT leader enter boss room first, once cata spawns (only 1 will spawn) the other 3 can enter.

Easy kill, easy win, save time =)

Adelheid
Jun 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
That defeats the fun of the challenge... though it's not that challenging... >.>;

Natsuma
Jun 25, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hey,

first of all, thanks for your answers.
It seems I expressed myself the wrong way...

I've never had any difficulty defeating the boss, I had difficulty getting a rank-S within 16min :-)

Anyway, I succeeded not so long after I posted this thread, especially when I learnt about the fact that if only the PT leader entered the boss zone first, only one would appear :D
It made things way easier!

Ueno54
Jun 25, 2012, 03:17 PM
I think this game hates me. S rank with 16:07. 97% A rank with 14:20.

Why can't they just give me the S rank!?

Phew! Finally got it. Think it was the gigantic spawn of dagen monsters near the end that gave me enough for the S rank. On the plus side I can dominate the boss so easily now lol.

Ghalion
Jun 25, 2012, 04:21 PM
I solo'd the boss awhile ago without much issue. but now I'm higher level and it keeps killing me cuz I get hit once.. I get stunned, and even if I was at full health, I'll die before the stun wears off... extremely cheese.

I was told by someone that you can make the stun wear off faster by making circle motions using wsad. I guess it's true but I haven't had a chance to try, can I get a confirmation? Is there any other way?