PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Tips?

CottonCrumble
Jun 27, 2012, 05:30 AM
Hi. I recently started my hunter and went partisan. I find the learning curve enjoyable, and yet, steep. So I'm looking for some tips. For one, what are some good partisan PAs to use, and how/when should I use them?

Also I'm having a hard time soloing as I'm getting hit too much by not dodging in time (or guarding). The PAs I use seem to have animations that last for an eternity and aren't cancelled by simply guarding. Are there any pieces of advice or good video examples I can go off of to help me improve how I play my hunter?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm level 18 trying to solo my desert missions to get used to the technical aspects of the hunter class.

WaltherFeng
Jun 27, 2012, 02:45 PM
Use the dash to cancel out of moves.

If you have Partisan Gear ability, you can wait till the second Just Frame (After spinning motions) virtually after every attack to recharge your Gear Gauge.

Also, learn the Step Attack from the skill tree and abuse it hard while dashing all over the place.

CottonCrumble
Jun 27, 2012, 09:56 PM
Oh, yeah I know how to dash-cancel, have the Step Attack, and how to wait for the frames to re-charge my partisan's gauge. I also use the dash a lot when my PP is running low.

I was looking for something more specific--like how to manage when there are 3 types of monsters clumped in a group of 10 or so, or what PAs are good in what situations. Sometimes I get the feeling I'm dashing too much and may be sacrificing damage, but I'm not sure.

marvelous stan
Jun 27, 2012, 11:10 PM
I also find the inability to guard cancel out of the flourishes very annoying. Unfortunately I am already heading up the left side of the talent tree and now I'm thinking about rerolling to play swords since they seem much more amenable to parrying boss attacks. The stretch armstrong dragon ran me over when I was using partisan but I had no trouble against him using sword, even using mostly basic attacks.

In any case I use wire lance against groups of enemies though. Throwing them into each other is just so much fun!

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 27, 2012, 11:30 PM
once you get the partisan pa speed rush you'll pretty much never use anything else, and it'll get a lot easier to handle large groups of mobs.

in terms of other general advice like your example of 3 types of monsters in a group of ten, always get the ones that annoy you the most first. like those guys with the pew pew laser beams, and the shield holding guys that can shield charge.

also if you want to survive, try sticking on the outer edge of a group of mobs, instead of going right in.

Zorafim
Jun 28, 2012, 12:01 AM
I really can't give advice. Hunter seems to be very trial and error. Try everything at least once, and see what you like best. Force yourself into tough situations and see what you need to get out on top. And learn enemy animations. There's always some tell they do which allows you to know when and where to dodge to. Even though you're the one who's targetted by the most attacks, you should learn enough about your enemies to be able to dodge between them all and never get hit.
except that Slinky's sweep. I can never dodge that one. Any time I do, I dodge out of one part of the attack into another. How am I supposed to dodge that...

As for partisan, I never block. Blocking doesn't cancel out of partisan like it does for sword, and half damage isn't worth it for me. At low levels, I used the three hit backstep PA, the rising PA, and the AoE PA. Then I got the one which hits 5 times and hits everything, and I haven't used any other PA after that.

Adelheid
Jun 28, 2012, 12:53 AM
Charging Partisan gear isn't worth it unless you have time where you're not hitting the boss/enemy anyway. If you have to lose PP generation or PA use simply to keep it full then it may not be worth it.

The Wind Blade PA is the best one, it can usually hit weakspots that aren't exposed, like Ragne's head.

Zorafim
Jun 28, 2012, 01:18 AM
Don't spam twirls to keep it up, but do keep it around. Maybe refill it between spawns. The AoE it adds can be amazing at times.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 28, 2012, 01:55 AM
except that Slinky's sweep. I can never dodge that one. Any time I do, I dodge out of one part of the attack into another. How am I supposed to dodge that...

just guard < : )

in terms of almost all of his attacks except the stun spin and the weird double bendy smash, i've found the following works the best:

start attacking either end of him. once he rears up to attack run diagonally up to it's left or right side towards its other end. punish it using the delay after it attacks. you are now towards the rear of the gummy dragon. continue to attack until it lifts up its tail to do a tail smash. as soon as you see it's tell that it's going to tail attack, do the same thing. run diagonally up towards its head.

generally if you do this and go back and forth you can dodge most attacks easily. his spinning sweep attack is hard to dodge out of since it has such big range. you usually have to guard/just guard that one.

Zorafim
Jun 28, 2012, 01:57 AM
I don't have nearly enough points to get just guard, but I'm hoping Guard at least stops the stun. If that's the case, thanks for enlightening me to the one situation when I'd use a guard over a dodge.

NoiseHERO
Jun 28, 2012, 02:12 AM
>Press the attack button

>Use monomate

>Profit

Nothing complicated is as necessary. EVEN WITH PRO PLAYERS SAYING OTHERWISE! "Get X skill, dash cancel reflect reverse jump bair cancel repeat wavedash to survive, have X weapon and X PA at all times" BS.

This game is too easy for that! DO WHAT YOU WANT!

Oh wait, I don't solo, I hate soloing it's boring. You're doomed. Just and run, man.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 28, 2012, 02:19 AM
>Press the attack button

>Use monomate

>Profit

Nothing complicated is as necessary. EVEN WITH PRO PLAYERS SAYING OTHERWISE! "Get X skill, dash cancel reflect reverse jump bair cancel repeat wavedash to survive, have X weapon and X PA at all times" BS.

This game is too easy for that! DO WHAT YOU WANT!

Oh wait, I don't solo, I hate soloing it's boring. You're doomed. Just and run, man.

dont listen to dis guy he still in da ghetto cuz of his lazy habits and it shows thru his lazy laid bak attitood towards playing dis gaym

U GOTTA WORK HARD, GET DOES ANIMATION CANCELING DOWN, GET JUST GUARD AND MEMORIZE BOSS ATTACK TELLS

NoiseHERO
Jun 28, 2012, 02:22 AM
dont listen to dis guy he still in da ghetto cuz of his lazy habits and it shows thru his lazy laid bak attitood towards playing dis gaym

U GOTTA WORK HARD, GET DOES ANIMATION CANCELING DOWN, GET JUST GUARD AND MEMORIZE BOSS ATTACK TELLS

LOOOOOOL

Nah I just have a party of like 3 hunters and an over powered elitist monster FO girl.

I can AFK and still get an S rank...

Too bad SHE WON'T LET ME PLAY WITH ANYONE ELSE!

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 28, 2012, 02:33 AM
LOOOOOOL

Nah I just have a party of like 3 huntersrangers with launchers and an over powered elitist monster FO girl.

I can AFK and still get an S rank...

Too bad SHE WON'T LET ME PLAY WITH ANYONE ELSE!

fixed

NoiseHERO
Jun 28, 2012, 02:35 AM
I thought they nerfed launcher. D:

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 28, 2012, 02:42 AM
I thought they nerfed launcher. D:

they did but it's still incredibly strong. they only nerfed it's splash area by maybe 30%

sonic arrow is my launcher now heh build sword gear NP get to max charge in 2-3 shots of sonic arrow if there are a lot of mobs, dash attack circle group of mobs and then just keep slicing through using my lawn mower man.

now that i think about it you may be right rock, three sword users that worked in coordination and just shot out waves of sonic arrow at max gear charge could have better crowd control than a ranger.

or just 3 partisan users with speed rain/wired lances that all use cyclones.

Zorafim
Jun 28, 2012, 02:42 AM
Half of infinity is still infinity.

Hunter really is much harder this game than it was in PSU. Hell, PSO too. It's probably not Devil May Cry hard (That's a hard game, right?), but it's not the PA spam mate chug fest of PSU either. But there's no mad skills to master, either. Dodge through attacks, or block if you feel that's your thing, and figure out what PA setup works for you. Easy to learn, difficult to master. And once you master it, bring out the berserk stance and have a field day!

NoiseHERO
Jun 28, 2012, 02:46 AM
they did but it's still incredibly strong. they only nerfed it's splash area by maybe 30%

sonic arrow is my launcher now heh build sword gear NP get to max charge in 2-3 shots of sonic arrow if there are a lot of mobs, dash attack circle group of mobs and then just keep slicing through using my lawn mower man.

now that i think about it you may be right rock, three sword users that worked in coordination and just shot out waves of sonic arrow at max gear charge could have better crowd control than a ranger.

or just 3 partisan users with speed rain/wired lances that all use cyclones.

I love spamming cyclone, my other 2 teammates are the sword user and spear user.

Though I'm the only one that didn't grab a gear.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 28, 2012, 02:50 AM
I love spamming cyclone, my other 2 teammates are the sword user and spear user.

Though I'm the only one that didn't grab a gear.

LOL U DIDNT GRAB A GEAR WHY GEARS MAKE GAMEPLAY SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING in your case it should help a lot, wired lance doesnt even have to focus to build gear you just attack stuff and it doesn't deplete either.

also @ zorafim, yeah, I REALLLLLY FUKKING LIKE how this game lets you def stance or attack stance.

basically they're saying:

"look, so if you fight a boss for the first time, you'll probably wanna use def stance so you can practice dodging/justguarding and learning his tells. after you feel confident, you can play regularly. and once you master that boss, go ahead and reward yourself with extra damage from fury stance. you earned it."

I LOVE IT WHEN GAMES REWARD YOU FOR ACTUALLY GETTING BETTER AT THE GAME (not just grinding, but getting better.) IN THIS CASE, YOU ARE AWARDED WITH MORE DAMAGE, BUT MUCH HIGHER RISK. but this risk is nullified if you have honed your skills!!!

however you are also granted the opportunity to practice if you want to, using defensive stance!! frikkking geeeenius

it's very very thoughtful.

NoiseHERO
Jun 28, 2012, 02:53 AM
LOL U DIDNT GRAB A GEAR WHY GEARS MAKE GAMEPLAY SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING in your case it should help a lot, wired lance doesnt even have to focus to build gear you just attack stuff and it doesn't deplete either.

Well I'm still saving points...

If Fists come out with their own set of skills and they're all "LOL NO FREE SKILL RESET, U MAD? OR U TOO HOOKED TO NOT PAY FOR ONE?" I won't be completely assed out. But it felt weird running in naked so I used some points on something anyway.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 28, 2012, 02:54 AM
Well I'm still saving points...

If Fists come out with their own set of skills and they're all "LOL NO FREE SKILL RESET, U MAD? OR U TOO HOOKED TO NOT PAY FOR ONE?" I won't be completely assed out. But it felt weird running in naked so I used some points on something anyway.

ahhhhhhhhhhh then it makes sense to put points into step, cause that one can be most easily and universally applied to any weapon. i think you'd be safe getting fury critical man. pretty much all weapons can benefit from it.

i'll probably end up buying a skill tree/reset when fists come out because admittedly they're my favorite weapon as well. but i think chances are slim that they'll be able to out do swords.

btw rock im just letting you know right now that when you go unarmed, you already have a unique, standing in place dodge, instead of guard. the attack animations and the fact that unarmed gets it's own unique shift action (dodge with actually huge invincibility frames) makes me think they'll use it for actual fists when they come in the game.

and since you already get invincibility frames when you press shift, perhaps your step wont be as helpful. but maybe at the same time, it will be. it'd be pretty cool if there was a super fast boss attack that required you to do something like "1 boss atk: shift dodge 2nd boss atk: shift dodge 3rd boss atk: invinc dash to hit a weak spot that is only availabe for a short amount of time while the boss simultaneously does its 3rd attack in the combo."

NoiseHERO
Jun 28, 2012, 03:03 AM
ahhhhhhhhhhh then it makes sense to put points into step, cause that one can be most easily and universally applied to any weapon. i think you'd be safe getting fury critical man. pretty much all weapons can benefit from it.

i'll probably end up buying a skill tree/reset when fists come out because admittedly they're my favorite weapon as well. but i think chances are slim that they'll be able to out do swords.

btw rock im just letting you know right now that when you go unarmed, you already have a unique, standing in place dodge, instead of guard. the attack animations and the fact that unarmed gets it's own unique shift action (dodge with actually huge invincibility frames) makes me think they'll use it for actual fists when they come in the game.

and since you already get invincibility frames when you press shift, perhaps your step wont be as helpful. but maybe at the same time, it will be. it'd be pretty cool if there was a super fast boss attack that required you to do something like "1 boss atk: shift dodge 2nd boss atk: shift dodge 3rd boss atk: invinc dash to hit a weak spot that is only availabe for a short amount of time while the boss simultaneously does its 3rd attack in the combo."

I just like spamming that special block to dance all up in my party member's personal space.

If fists are based off of barehanded fighting, I hope it at least has better attack range. D:

/Tries to punch a bird that looks like it's flying towards me-NOPE-bird U-turns

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 28, 2012, 03:13 AM
the range of barehand is definitely bad. honestly i hope they don't use those animations. i was hoping fists would attack at least 30% faster than gunblade.

and did you know that you can basically float forever if you time the dodge and a just attack unarmed punch perfectly? its pretty lols

NoiseHERO
Jun 28, 2012, 03:20 AM
I love abusing the god float in caves with wiredlance when a boss appears and there's a high ground nearby.

"AH-HA YOU CAN'T ATTACK UPWARDS I'M GONNA CHOP OFF YOUR BACK HORNS AND SPAM PA'S INFINITELY!"

Of course that only lasts until it's tired of playing with the FO with like a ball of yarn, and aims for someone further away..