PDA

View Full Version : cartridge mastersystem = gamegear?

Kenbog
Jul 1, 2012, 04:04 PM
Maybe a bit of a weird topic but I bought a gear master on a flee market today.
For those unfamiliar with it, its a cartridge that makes you play master system games on a gamegear.
Well curious me was wondering how it worked and opened it...
I couldn't believe my eyes, both connectors where wired directly to each other, without any emulation circuit or anything.
Now I was wondering does this also work the other way around, if I dismantle the connector where the cartridges go in gamegear and solder it directly to the board of the masters system board where his connector was placed, will it work, or would it be locked out by something?

Sinue_v2
Jul 1, 2012, 06:09 PM
Maybe a bit of a weird topic but I bought a gear master on a flee market today.
For those unfamiliar with it, its a cartridge that makes you play master system games on a gamegear.
Well curious me was wondering how it worked and opened it...
I couldn't believe my eyes, both connectors where wired directly to each other, without any emulation circuit or anything.
Now I was wondering does this also work the other way around, if I dismantle the connector where the cartridges go in gamegear and solder it directly to the board of the masters system board where his connector was placed, will it work, or would it be locked out by something?

I think the GameGear was slightly more powerful than the Master System, unlike the Nomad which quite literally was a portable Sega Genesis. I wouldn't try to reverse wire it, since you don't know how it works, and I wouldn't know what it does to the information on the cart in order to get it to play on the GameGear... but I'm fairly sure it wouldn't have the equivalent hardware necessary to processes GameGear games on a Master System through a standard NTSC or PAL television set.

I wouldn't mess with it until you know a WHOLE lot more about it.

Kenbog
Jul 1, 2012, 07:34 PM
Well I am asking around but I will try it out no matter what anyway :P

I have 5 master systems and 4 gamegears at my disposable and 3 of those have faulty capacitors ,never got in the mood of repairing those oh also 5 copies of collums, So it doesn't harm if I blow something up :P

also I am having troubles finding the scematics of the master system...

Sinue_v2
Jul 1, 2012, 09:06 PM
Well I am asking around but I will try it out no matter what anyway :P

I have 5 master systems and 4 gamegears at my disposable and 3 of those have faulty capacitors ,never got in the mood of repairing those oh also 5 copies of collums, So it doesn't harm if I blow something up :P

also I am having troubles finding the scematics of the master system...

From the Wikipedia article's technical specifications section, it looks like the Master System and GameGear have largely analogous hardware specs (similar RAM, CPU core, etc)... however it looks like the Master System only has about 64 colors available compared to the Game Gear's 4,096. This (to quote the article) "made such a conversion technically difficult, and practically/commercially impossible even for hobbyist hardware-hackers."

Good luck if you decide to go ahead and try.

Kenbog
Jul 2, 2012, 11:09 AM
From the Wikipedia article's technical specifications section, it looks like the Master System and GameGear have largely analogous hardware specs (similar RAM, CPU core, etc)... however it looks like the Master System only has about 64 colors available compared to the Game Gear's 4,096. This (to quote the article) "made such a conversion technically difficult, and practically/commercially impossible even for hobbyist hardware-hackers."

Good luck if you decide to go ahead and try.
Well nah, there is no fun in it if the outcome is 100% failure.
Well back to the original plan then... extract everything from the master system and mount a game gear board in it, solder the screen and audio outputs into a scart cable and connect the controler inputs parallel over the ones from the gamegear...
Would have been allot easyer that other way, ah well I like these kind of things.

Thanks for your opinion and internetknowledge :)