PDA

View Full Version : Nights into Dreams coming to a console/PC near you.

Akaimizu
Jul 6, 2012, 12:00 PM
Now this is something I thought would never happen. The original Saturn Nights getting a port. This is wild. The only game in existence I would've been less inclined to believe such a story is Panzer Dragon Saga (Azel).

Of course, some might say, "You know SEGA is in trouble when they actually pull a miracle to get Nights ported."

But for me, it definitely makes it seem that much more possible that a translated Panzer Dragon Saga would actually be able to see more people in the world instead of the rare dozens of people in the world that have it (including myself). For me, it was a true *don't miss* experience particularly if you played previous Panzer Dragon games or Orta. It did a great job of wrapping up what was really going on in the shooters, and gave you a peek at the unique social atmosphere that was created in that universe. But because there's nothing like it, I always thought it a shame so few people actually got to play it. I think a re-release at a reasonable price would get people to look at it for what it is and really enjoy it for what it is worth. One tends to look at a game differently when it is less than $50 than when the going price for it is over $200. For the high price, people don't look for a great unique gameplay experience, they expect the Holy Grail, but without dealing with guards, with silly accents, pitching cows at them.

But back to Nights. It's good to bring it back and for cheap. Perhaps it will have new fans who get its unusual gameplay approach. Along with the re-release of Jet Set Radio, this is neat stuff. (Would it be asking too much to see if they can also include Christmas Nights?)

Outrider
Jul 6, 2012, 12:16 PM
I am super excited for this. I bought the Saturn late in the game and never really had a chance to play NiGHTS. I'm going to be grabbing this when it's released.

Hopefully they'll be able to include the Christmas NiGHTS content.

xeku
Jul 6, 2012, 07:43 PM
Awesome news this is...will have to pick this up.
Nights always gets me thinking about Panzer Dragoon - genius behind the each series, and how both are still a mystery to mainstream gamers (IMO, they aren't even well known enough to qualify as "under appreciated"). Oh, and they share that nifty controller....

I agree that Panzer Dragoon Saga/Azel might actually do well in today's market - long-time RPG gamers are craving new things right now (Dragon's Dogma is doing surprisingly well, thankfully), and for most, Azel would be a fresh experience, as only a handful of gamers, (relatively speaking), ever had a chance to experience it. And yes, I agree that "experience" is the right word for it - there was simply nothing else like Azel at the time of release. Some would argue this is still the case. It was a game-changer for me (pardon the bad pun) - it was first time I started to seriously consider game development to be an art form..

Unfortunately, I believe it would take more than a port to be successful . This isn't likely to ever happen, sadly, as the original code was lost.

-Crokar-
Jul 7, 2012, 12:55 AM
i still have it brand new in box with the controller it came with and a used copy i may go play it again

Kent
Jul 7, 2012, 02:03 AM
I still regularly bust out my Saturn to play this. NiGHTS is one of those games that always makes me feel good inside when I play it. I am so looking forward to the re-release, just to have it on a modern console (that, and it'd be morally reprehensible not to support its re-release).

Nights always gets me thinking about Panzer Dragoon
If you like NiGHTS and Panzer Dragoon in the same thought process, here's a nice present for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5cpdh50D1E

The Saturn had some of the best exclusives of its generation - I think the Panzer Dragoon series and NiGHTS together justify the existence of a Saturn in anyone's collection if they love games, but there's also plenty of other gems like Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes (both of these have even seen XBLA re-releases - which are amazing, by the way) and Shining the Holy Ark.

Naturally, the more of these that get re-released on modern systems, the better, because the Saturn didn't really soar into popularity during its time (except probably in Japan), and many of the great games for the system saw very limited print runs in the rest of the world.

I really hope that by some miracle, they find their long-lost copy of the Panzer Dragoon Saga source code - or get the funding necessary to do a complete remake from the original design documents. I count myself lucky for being able to not only have a copy of the game, but also having just walked into a store and bought it one day, during the year of its release. That game was amazing.

DayDreamer
Jul 7, 2012, 02:22 AM
Heard about this last night, im super excited xD
I played the Wii squeal but i heard the original is amazing.
This on top of Jet Grind Radio and Sonic Adventure 2 HD remakes, im happy now.

Kent
Jul 8, 2012, 02:01 AM
The Wii game is atrocious. The original Saturn game is so much better, it isn't even funny.

Polly
Jul 8, 2012, 02:48 AM
Want the fuck out of this. I can finally retire my original Saturn disc/Christmas NiGHTS discs. Really hope they do a respectable job of getting this ported over with little to no issues.

Akaimizu
Sep 18, 2012, 12:09 PM
Ok. New Nights-related News. Apparently, I was NOT asking too much for them to include Christmas Nights in the deal.

Just recent news finally hit that SEGA is, indeed, including Christmas Nights in the Nights Package for PSN and XBLA. How about them dreams??

Anybody who ever visited my room in PSU would know that I'm psyched about this. Tynselle Nbareh had the Nights setup ever since it was available, and visitors could actually play the Nights theme on the Bells arranged in her room. Even had the parrot say the order in color code, for those who go by that. And yes, the bells were in tune with the Nights Theme Background music in there, as well.

I also am one of those who played straight through the Wii version; and while I still enjoyed it despite its problems, I agree that the Saturn version is much better. The Wii was a decent 1-time play-through, but not good enough to come back to like the Saturn one.

DayDreamer
Sep 19, 2012, 02:03 PM
Oh shit, i just looked on Steam and jet set raido is there, I completly forgot it was coming to pc xD

And Akaimizu is right, Christmas nights is included. I know alot of people who dust off their Saturn just to play Christmas nights again.
Its a shame jet set radio and NiGHTS didnt get the popularity that sonic and even phantasy star got (and still getting).

When I say Sega to someone, they say sonic for the most part. Sega has alot of "gems" that need dusting off.
I think these HD ports are a good way of doing that without screwing up anything.
Plus I never got the change to play the original NiGHTS or Jet Set Radio, for $10 this is a steal for me.