PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 is so boring. What am I missing?

Mag-X
Jul 7, 2012, 02:55 PM
So, I'm level 22 right now, and I've pretty much played the desert level to death, and I'm getting to that point with hard mode forest. When I think I've got to grind through a whole 8 more levels of this plus that stupid item collection quest to get past 30 and be allowed into new areas, I end up just saying screw it and logging out.

Am I missing something else that I'm supposed to be working on through these levels? The game was quite fun up until this point, and now I just don't even want to play anymore. It's just busy work.

I really want to love this game, but Sega is making it difficult. If this was anything besides a Phantasy Star game, I would have quit a long time ago.

Neirene
Jul 7, 2012, 02:59 PM
What about jumping into random rooms and help new players to level up? you might end getting a few more levels doing that and you are helping people on the way!

Somnia
Jul 7, 2012, 03:00 PM
Well, if you are playing solo I really recommend teaming up - its much more fun to play socially. I also recommend mixing it up some and doing the repeatable client orders, you'll gain some extra bonus exp and revisit some older areas, all while raising the mysterious happiness level of your clients.

ashley50
Jul 7, 2012, 03:05 PM
Aren't most games the same?

Nitro Vordex
Jul 7, 2012, 03:08 PM
If you're soloing, that's your problem.

If not, then get more interesting friends.

Mag-X
Jul 7, 2012, 03:14 PM
I'm not soloing. I'm joining random games. I'm not doing anything different than I did playing the original PSO, and I had plenty of fun playing that. I just want to move on to doing other stuff in the game, but I can't just because Sega built in all these stupid restrictions and busy work.

Blackheart521
Jul 7, 2012, 03:25 PM
I'm not soloing. I'm joining random games. I'm not doing anything different than I did playing the original PSO, and I had plenty of fun playing that. I just want to move on to doing other stuff in the game, but I can't just because Sega built in all these stupid restrictions and busy work.

well 20-25 is sort of a dead zone considering you only get the first five missions, but you can speed level from city missions, usually one to one and a half levels can be gained from each hour long city event, try doing matter boards 100% they'll let you feel some progression while grinding, never neglect client orders, they speed up the process quite a bit.

Jakosifer
Jul 7, 2012, 03:42 PM
I understand OP, you could shell out some AC to get through the dreaded zone quicker with XP scrolls. Thats what I did for those levels, because the Nav Rappy quest is not all that fun even with 12/12 people.

palmtop
Jul 7, 2012, 04:40 PM
Theres plenty to do in PSO2, right now im trying to get my Mag above 99 as you can see on my Image below.
http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/i8lh-d-c51c.jpg

But your right, for myself i can only play 1 or 2 Maps per Day then im already tired. Im also playing 100% alone because im knowing noone ingame and also im to "stupid" to get some but well, every Day a little drives me also into the Finish Line.

Tessu
Jul 7, 2012, 06:21 PM
You could also try playing as different classes. It won't get you out of the dead zone, but it might be a bit refreshing to try something new. :)

texhnolyze
Jul 7, 2012, 06:22 PM
well 20-25 is sort of a dead zone considering you only get the first five missions, but you can speed level from city missions, usually one to one and a half levels can be gained from each hour long city event, try doing matter boards 100% they'll let you feel some progression while grinding, never neglect client orders, they speed up the process quite a bit.

agreed
i almost gave up when i was 21 knowing that i have to grind all the way to 30 in the desert (according to some people on this forum, and a friend of mine) :-o
however, client orders helped me a lot
i can do forest hard and eventually cave hard, my favorite map :D
they gave me an alternative way to level up instead of grinding the desert mission all day long ;-)

Ogni-XR21
Jul 7, 2012, 06:30 PM
I'm lvl 24 and played free desert twice. So I still have a lot of leeway before I get tired of it...

I did some client orders here, helped some people there and whoops another level. OP, I honestly think you're playing with the wrong mindset. Enjoy the social aspect and don't worry about what levels you can play.

What IS missing is a way to just go from forest to desert in one go, kind of like the forest to Falz runs. I'm really hoping for something like that later on. Gives you a better feel of progression.

KiroMatic
Jul 7, 2012, 07:05 PM
I completely agree with the OP here the game lacks quite a bit of luster for me I got so bored with my hunter that I completely deleted him to make a shiny new character since I thought that would help but it did not.

and I know I didn't have to delete him but I really don't plan on spending any money on this game (at least not the JP ver) and class change would not have really helped since it was mostly my ugly characters looks that drove me away.

but that still hasn't really helped I was only able to get to level 5 before my boredom struck me again.

Randomness
Jul 7, 2012, 07:19 PM
You could also try playing as different classes. It won't get you out of the dead zone, but it might be a bit refreshing to try something new. :)

It's even harder finding a party for caves. I can't solo Vol reliably as hunter yet, and catardran is boring. Soloing is boring, and slow.

MonopolyMan
Jul 7, 2012, 07:29 PM
The fact that they intentionally didn't implement Normal difficulty Tundra seems to suggest that they think 20-30 is OK and not overly tedious. This seems like a strange decision, and I can only think of two reasons why they'd do it.

1. The upcoming Mines area will be a 25-30 area on Normal(if it even has a Normal setting).
2. They expect you to pay money for an EXP boost to get through the "boring" part to get to the new content of the Tundra.

Somehow, the latter seems more plausible to me.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 7, 2012, 08:20 PM
The fact that they intentionally didn't implement Normal difficulty Tundra seems to suggest that they think 20-30 is OK and not overly tedious. This seems like a strange decision, and I can only think of two reasons why they'd do it.

1. The upcoming Mines area will be a 25-30 area on Normal(if it even has a Normal setting).
2. They expect you to pay money for an EXP boost to get through the "boring" part to get to the new content of the Tundra.

Somehow, the latter seems more plausible to me.

it's probably 2. they've been pulling a lot of gimmicks to pull in more money, some that are less noticeable.

like how people are thinking it's silly that buying a new mag / buying a new skill tree is cheaper than resetting one. some people might not be thinking that sega is thinking in the long run. if you end up buyin 10 mags and 10 skill trees, you can't buy any more. you'll be forced to reset them. and you'll have to pay the price to. so in the very very long run if people mess up their trees enough, making tree / mag reset more expensive is actually going to make them more money, than say making resets cheaper.

i really do think that's lame of them to not make a normal mode tundra though. it seems to be turning away a lot of players that don't want to dedicate half their life to this game.

my only advice to those that are stuck in the "dead levels" would be to main ranger, because ranger can level up the fastest imo, as it's the easiest class to use to kill large amounts of mobs quickly, so it levels up faster.

while you level up your ranger, you can turn in client orders as another class that you may perhaps want to "main," such as hunter or force.

btw unless i'm in a "needs focus" situation, luckily i have dual monitors that i'm basically always watching something on. tv-links eu / watchseries eu is your friend. if you're a hunter, try to get your hands on a zanba. the exp+ helps.

Scrub
Jul 7, 2012, 08:34 PM
I was bored at first too, as a Ranger, because of the lack of weaponry. It just felt kinda lame and samey and I couldn't switch up any variety at all. Then I went Force and I can always just start throwing out different spells (and usually have to, if you go to different areas), so I'm enjoying the game a lot more now. Then again, I've always enjoyed grinding in multiplayer games, so that aspect of it really doesn't bother me at all.

Wish I could convince some of my asshole friends to play the game because playing solo in any multiplayer game can get boring after a while, but that's not really the game's fault.

.Rusty.
Jul 8, 2012, 04:53 AM
Maybe you have just outgrown grindy RPGs :-?

atrimiselgnacra
Jul 8, 2012, 05:17 AM
The biggest thrill of Phantasy Star's online games, like PSO and PSU is the item/weapon collect-a-thon. Killing the same enemy 100 times might suck, but when you finally see that very rare weapon or item drop, you'll gladly equip it and run around laughing at everyone you pass by!

NoiseHERO
Jul 8, 2012, 06:56 AM
it's probably 2. they've been pulling a lot of gimmicks to pull in more money, some that are less noticeable.

like how people are thinking it's silly that buying a new mag / buying a new skill tree is cheaper than resetting one. some people might not be thinking that sega is thinking in the long run. if you end up buyin 10 mags and 10 skill trees, you can't buy any more. you'll be forced to reset them. and you'll have to pay the price to. so in the very very long run if people mess up their trees enough, making tree / mag reset more expensive is actually going to make them more money, than say making resets cheaper.

i really do think that's lame of them to not make a normal mode tundra though. it seems to be turning away a lot of players that don't want to dedicate half their life to this game.

my only advice to those that are stuck in the "dead levels" would be to main ranger, because ranger can level up the fastest imo, as it's the easiest class to use to kill large amounts of mobs quickly, so it levels up faster.

while you level up your ranger, you can turn in client orders as another class that you may perhaps want to "main," such as hunter or force.

btw unless i'm in a "needs focus" situation, luckily i have dual monitors that i'm basically always watching something on. tv-links eu / watchseries eu is your friend. if you're a hunter, try to get your hands on a zanba. the exp+ helps.

Yeah every time there's something in this game that bugs me and strays me from what I was hoping was going to be perfect...

It's related to me not spending 80 dollars on this game. It's a no brainer why the betas were so fun, yet in this game I just keep running into trouble...

Other than the F2P money grabbing tricks and the music still yet to impress me, this is still the most fun I've ever had with a game that I plan on playing long-term since PSU Vanilla. And I eagerly await the new content.