PDA

View Full Version : Good for Japanese?

Razeiq
Jul 11, 2012, 01:37 AM
I apologize (seems to be what i do in all my posts) if this is inappropriate as a post on here, but I was curious if any of you who speak/write Japanese would tell me if this place would actually be a good place to start? I do not have access to any Japanese classes where I am from, so I am looking for the next best thing.

http://japanese.about.com/od/japaneselessons/a/wheredoibegin.htm

As a side note, would that DS game that is called something like "My Japanese Tutor" be good for someone actually wanting to start learning Japanese?

gaogaostegosaurus
Jul 11, 2012, 01:50 AM
Never heard of the game, but that site doesn't have anything obviously strange to me. lol

If you're serious about it, it might be better idea to use a textbook. I don't remember much of mine, but there's definitely more structure to it, and supplementary materials (like audio recordings of all the conversations) are also nice. Although, with no one to check your work that might be a little much as well.

Spellbinder
Jul 11, 2012, 02:08 AM
I don't know about a lot of the links on the page, but if you'd like I could offer advice based on the materials I've used. In case my level of Japanese matters:

Passed level 2 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (hopefully Level 1 this year)
Recently graduated with a bachelors in Asian Studies and Japanese, currently job hunting in Japan.
Tentatively working a job as a translator and editor (although I still have a lot to learn)

When I attended Junior College, they offered a Japanese course, but the course had no teacher. It was essentially self-study program where we'd occasionally practice with an international student from Japan, and we used this book.

Genki: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese

After finishing the first volume of the series and half of the second, I spent 3 months in a language school in Japan where we used this book.

Minna no Nihongo

Both books are great, but they have their pros and cons.

Genki, in my opinion, is definitely catered to those who are looking for a self-study aid, while Minna no Nihongo is written entirely in Japanese and made for a classroom setting, although you could study on your own if you buy an accompanying book with translations and grammar explanations.

The one thing I didn't like about Genki is the style of conjugation it teaches you to use. I had a rude awakening when I came to Japan. My teachers explained to me that while the way Genki explains it isn't wrong, Genki failed to explain the differences between written style and speaking style (if that makes sense). At any rate, a secondary source could be helpful if you decide on Genki.

Speaking of secondary sources, this is a very popular website that covers pretty much anything you'd expect to find in a basic Japanese textbook.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/

Even when studying in College, if there was no time to get a hold of a teacher, I'd occasonally find myself come here from time to time to see if their explanations could clarify anything for me. Here is another good source of supplementary info.

Dictionary of Basic (Intermediate/Advanced) Japanese Grammar

This is a series of 3 grammar dictionaries: Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced. While not something to study out of directly, you'd be hard pressed to find a grammatical pattern that isn't explained in some shape or form in these books. While there are maybe 1 or 2 mistakes in this book (at least according to my professor), you couldn't go wrong having these in your arsenal. I've bought all 3 and there are still things I look up in them.

One last recommendation if you're looking for listening material is this.

Japanesepod101

While the dialogues can be cheesey at times, and I personally feel they should speak a little faster, this is a great way to begin adjusting your ear to Japanese language, pick up vocabulary you may not find in a standard textbook, and also gain a little bit of insight into general customs and ideas in Japan.

Anything after this for me was (and still is), speaking to as many people as I can, studying for the Japanese Language Proficiency Test, watching media (although now I try to avoid subtitles or look for Japanese subtitles), and reading when I have time.

I hope this is of some help, and if you have any other questions let me know here or in a private message. :)

Razeiq
Jul 11, 2012, 02:31 AM
I guess really the only question that would come to mind is where would I go about getting books like that and what kind of cash do they cost?

Spellbinder
Jul 11, 2012, 02:39 AM
I'd recommend the following.

http://www.thejapanshop.com/
http://www.amazon.com

On amazon you could probably get them a lot cheaper used though.