PDA

View Full Version : Game Heroes of Ruin

Brave-Charm
Jul 17, 2012, 01:14 AM
Today is finally the US release date of HoR, Who's getting it today? For any 3DS owner who doesn't know what it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6URDLg6LDNE anyway so if anyone is getting it my Friend Code it: 5413-0813-2408.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Jul 17, 2012, 02:05 AM
I'll be picking my pre-order up on Wednesday.
Its funny, you think there would be more games like this for the handhelds, IMO, they go hand in hand.
In any case, from what I've played from the demo, the gameplay and online are great for a 3DS game, and its cheesy, so I can have fun, while playing, and while picking at the cheesy voiceovers and graphics.

DayDreamer
Jul 18, 2012, 01:19 PM
Been following the game since it was first announced through the "Square-News".
I'll pick it up when I can but right now..
Steams kinda what Im going to dump my money into.

goldwing
Jul 18, 2012, 02:34 PM
Looks cool its on my list of 3ds games im getting

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Jul 18, 2012, 10:17 PM
Got my grubby hands on it today. Maybe I'll share some thoughts on it later. I went with the Savage character. I'm liking it so far, though.

Rashiid
Jul 18, 2012, 11:07 PM
Oh it's out already? Oh man, I need to get it soon D:

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Jul 19, 2012, 02:31 AM
So I've played for a few hours, did a few quests, and I gotta say, it's pretty fun.

It's about time SOMEONE brought a game like this to the 3DS.

With that said..

My only gripe is the framerate issue, but it doesn't take much away from the gameplay. I've yet to take it online, but if its anything like the Demo+Voice Chat, I'm sure it'll be good. Seems like each class gets only one weapon type, so that's kinda disappointing, but its all good. I hear its also a bit short, but stories for dungeon crawlers aren't really known for their longevity. It's all about the loot, baby! I've found quite a bit so far. I'm looking forward to fighting with myself, trying to put my 3DS down.

Rashiid
Jul 19, 2012, 08:08 AM
I'm a loot whore kind of person so I'll definitely pick this up.

Kent
Jul 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
I really wasn't very impressed with the demo. The gameplay seemed really bland and old-fashioned - like it may have worked to some extent for games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, but that's kind of like re-releasing Dragon Quest with a new paint job. I'm sure there's a niche of people who enjoy that sort of thing still, but what's so different about this to make me want to play it?

It felt like a game I've played a dozen times before. I like that sort of co-op hack-and-slash game, but I also like games I play to be new and fresh compared to ones I've played before, and this one just doesn't seem that way.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Jul 20, 2012, 03:08 AM
I really wasn't very impressed with the demo. The gameplay seemed really bland and old-fashioned - like it may have worked to some extent for games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, but that's kind of like re-releasing Dragon Quest with a new paint job. I'm sure there's a niche of people who enjoy that sort of thing still, but what's so different about this to make me want to play it?

It felt like a game I've played a dozen times before. I like that sort of co-op hack-and-slash game, but I also like games I play to be new and fresh compared to ones I've played before, and this one just doesn't seem that way.

I kinda like to think of it like this.

As of right now, there is nothing like this for the 3DS in the US market. If this does well, then who knows what else could come out in the future? I know, I'm being a bit optimistic, but we could see some other games utilize online features like Heroes of Ruin has.

Yeah, the online would have to be the big draw for me. That and being able to kill things and loot the shit out of them whenever and wherever I want to.

Kent
Jul 20, 2012, 02:25 PM
If there's one thing the 3DS (and Nintendo in general) is lacking, it's great online connectivity. They're trying to alleviate this with SpotPass and such, but that's no replacement for a lack of a widely-utilized online multiplayer infrastructure. We know they admitted they'd never catch up to Xbox Live, but that's no reason not to try and offer something standardized, at least.

I've read about some of the online features in Heroes of Ruin (like the voice chat) and think it's a great idea to have that sort of thing on the 3DS... But, eh, I'd much rather have it on a game that's fun and original. The demo, unfortunately, just went to prove that it's probably not going to be either of them.

I'm not going to pay for a game if I don't think it'll be continually fun to play, regardless of how much I like the various ancillary features that aren't pertinent to gameplay.

darkante
Aug 2, 2012, 09:19 AM
I got the EU release and i think it's a decent game and easy but no real replay value since there is no extra difficulty or anything after you beat it.
How the hell can they miss that?
So not worth full price then, imo.