reserved for an expansion...

RocSage
Jul 23, 2012, 11:42 AM
Reserved for Batman

Ok that's all i need ^.^
You can post now.

Kion
Jul 23, 2012, 12:07 PM
Another translator? :-o Hopefully that will make this go faster. Starting on events.

Kion
Jul 23, 2012, 12:14 PM
Xeno: Hmmmmm...
Xeno: You're trying your best. That's a good fighting stance.
Xeno: But I'm not sure how to explain this foggy feeling I have about your fighting.
Xeno: I can't explain it very well. It's on the tip of my toung, but I can't seem to put words to it. I just can't remember
Xeno: No it has nothing to do with you, mostly my mind workign against itself.
Xeno: Sorry to leave you hanging. Anyways, don't worry I'll forget i even said this. I don't have the best memory.

RocSage
Jul 23, 2012, 12:14 PM
Another translator? :-o Hopefully that will make this go faster. Starting on events.

nope ^.^ that's just for thoroughness. As I stole the translation from an intro video that was translated by that person. ^.^
I should go look at the videos from those other story missions, but i don't wanna :P

Kion
Jul 23, 2012, 12:21 PM
Echo: Hey.
Xeno: And I just thought i found Echo and then you show up too. What a coincidence.
Echo: I was the one who found you Xeno.
Xeno: Yeah, right what ever. So what are you up to?
Echo: I've been curious about it, but why are you so nice to (character)?
Xeno: Really? I just thought of myself as a mentor looking after a pupil.
Echo: But you're too nice. You don't think so?
Xeno: Mostly I'm that way because I was taught by our master that way.
Xeno: It's not a bad thing.
Echo: That's true but...
Xeno: Maybe my wording is bad, or Echo are you jelous?
Echo: Have you lost your mind?
Echo: Later. Xeno, let's go.

Kion
Jul 23, 2012, 12:21 PM
nope ^.^ that's just for thoroughness. As I stole the translation from an intro video that was translated by that person. ^.^
I should go look at the videos from those other story missions, but i don't wanna :P

Got my hopes up a little. Back to plugging away.

Kion
Jul 23, 2012, 12:27 PM
Xeno: Hey, things usre are peaceful.
Xeno: There are darkers, so that's not the case? Not exactly.
Xeno: 10 years ago things were really out of hand. Compared to that things are pretty calm.
Xeno: But i should stop myself here. Telling stories about the past is what old people do.
Xeno: Well what I want to say is think possitive.
Xeno: We've gotten more allies, gotten stronger. Even me. When the time comes we'll be able to protect everybody.

RocSage
Jul 23, 2012, 12:48 PM
Got my hopes up a little. Back to plugging away.

^.^ Just think of it as more experience that you get all to yourself :D

Zorafim
Jul 23, 2012, 12:57 PM
Woo! Matter Board 3's done being translated! You rock!

Kion
Jul 23, 2012, 01:03 PM
Echo: Whose there!? Please don't scare me like that.
Echo: What am I doing? I'm on a quest.
Echo: By myself? That's up to me. Is it weird for me to be on my own?
Echo: Anyways I have to get back to Xen- I mean investigating.

Kion
Jul 23, 2012, 01:12 PM
Woo! Matter Board 3's done being translated! You rock!

Since i hit 40 i found myself with lots of time to do other things.

Echo: Oh, hey. Today I'm not looking for Xeno. I just stepped out a litte on my own.
Echo: When you fight with darkers, are you affraid?
Echo: It frightens me, it's really scary.
Echo: But thinking that someone important from me could be taken away is even scarier.
Echo: It will be nice when we defeat all of the darkers and can live in peace.
Echo: I'm going to head back. Take care.

Kion
Jul 23, 2012, 01:20 PM
God i love these two <3.

Ghetmurt: Oh you? I have no business with you. It'd be to boring to just smash your face in now.
Ghetmurt: At least find somehole and stay out of my way for now, or i might change my mind.
Shina: I must apologize for the direct rudeness.
Shina: But today it looks like Ghetmurt is in a good mood. It's rare of him to let people off like this.
Shina: Excuse me.

Kion
Jul 23, 2012, 01:34 PM
[spoiler-box]
http://www.bleachanime.org/wallpapers/albums/zaraki-kenpachi-wallpapers/Kenpachi_Zaraki.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

Ghetmurt: How your training going? Looks like it's going well. Hurry up and get strong.
Ghetmurt: There's no value in weaklings. No reason for living either. It's a discusting existance and that goes for those who protect weaklings as well.
Ghetmurt: Remember this well, when it comes down to it your strength is the only thing you can depend on.
Ghetmurt: Don't be playing like a little kid.
Ghetmurt: Let's go Shina.
Shina: Yes, Ghetmurt.
Shina: Then please excuse us.

RocSage
Jul 23, 2012, 06:59 PM
7 New Videos
3 Are Matter Board 4
1 Xeno
1 Gettem & Shina
1 Affin
1 Shina solo

There should be a new Matoi and Furie Matter Board video by tomorrow I just wanted to get these up today and couldn't record more due to listening to something else ^.^

RocSage
Jul 23, 2012, 11:48 PM
Grrr did a little more, got a few more videos that i'll upload tomorrow, but I'm upset cuz the game tricked me on one and I stopped recording. I think I got all the text, but it bothers me to have video like that. I might run my other char quickly through MB3 to get MB4 and then go through those missions quickly...or try to since that char is still 19 i think

Kion
Jul 24, 2012, 12:29 AM
This week is busy for me. I'll see what I can manage. Manage to watch the MB4 Zig scene before coming to school today. Looks like you hand him the broken weapon you find in the tundra in the story mission and he goes crazy about wanting to fix it for you.

RocSage
Jul 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
Yarrr, 7 more videos uploaded and that brings us to 3/4 of the Event Tablets captured

RocSage
Jul 24, 2012, 04:46 PM
8 more videos added ^.^

Only 12 Event tablets left that aren't associated with Matter Board entries.

Kion
Jul 24, 2012, 09:14 PM
Servers are done again? I guess this is the only time I can get anything done, but this is starting to get out of hand.

MB4 A-3
AP 238/3/10
Furie: You came at a great time.
Furie: Would you mind helping me?
Furie: Over here those little guys are getting attacked by darkers.
Furie: I managed to defeat some of them, but there are too many.
Furie: Trying to communcate with them can't wait. First we need to garantee their safety.

Kion
Jul 24, 2012, 09:21 PM
MB4 B2
AP 238/3/7
Ulc: How it's doing? Doing well? I'm doing well the both of us I guess.
Ulc: It's said that having too much motivation can cause you to run around in circles, but i think it's better than none at all.
Ulc: it's just that my Arks friend has no motivation what so ever. It's pathetic just looking at him.
Ulc: If it were possible I'd like to swap places.
Ulc: So I have to stick with what I can do. And that is become an Arks back up office and support [him?].
Ulc: Before doing that I have to take the qualification exam. That in and of it's self is a challenge.
Ulc: I've decided to take it so all i can do is try my best. I want to show thatg working hard beats having ability.

RocSage
Jul 24, 2012, 09:27 PM
3 more videos uploaded...

Only 3 more MB4 videos left. Yay!

RocSage
Jul 25, 2012, 10:57 PM
All Matter Board 4 videos are up now
New Shion video
Yet another mission Event Tablet video added that aren't MB vids

All that's left is MB5, 11 non-MB ET videos, 1 or 2 matoi videos

Here is the alternate response to Gettemuharuto in Tyrant in the Dunes, posted here instead of first cuz it's not important enough to include on the first page probably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH389yg8mKM

Also, correct my transliteration of the names if you can... but also thoughts on...

These names which I know I've heard in the game

Affin pronounced Ah-fin
Echo pronounced how echo is
Zeno pronounced with the same e in Zen buddhism
Gettamuharuto pronounced Getta Muharu(to?) I've never heard the to pronounced
Patty
Tia
Jigu (Zig). I swear I hear it Jigu rather than Zig, so I have to imagine it is Jigu, not Zig, but I don't know.
メルフォンシーナ = MeRuHuONSi-Na = Shina ... I clearly hear Shina. What's happening to Meruhuon?

Kion
Jul 26, 2012, 09:47 AM
I have to agree with Matoi on this one. Would be nice if this logic worked on convincing my teacher that forgetting my homework is a good thing too.

Matoi: Sorry, I was preoccupied.
Matoi: Things that are normal to everyone are all very new to me.
Matoi: Things like the monitor in the lobby. It was like something inside the wall was moving.
Matoi: Losing my memory has been an inconvience, but for some reaosn I'm glad I get to re-experience new things.
Matoi: Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about trying to remember. I'm doing my best.
Matoi: I was just thinking that forgetting isn't always a bad thing.

Kion
Jul 26, 2012, 10:00 AM
Also, correct my transliteration of the names if you can... but also thoughts on...

I don't really mind pronunciations as the long as the spelling is consistent.

Affin pronounced Ah-fin
Echo pronounced how echo is
Zeno pronounced with the same e in Zen buddhism

No problems here.

Gettamuharuto pronounced Getta Muharu(to?) I've never heard the to pronounced
Jigu (Zig). I swear I hear it Jigu rather than Zig, so I have to imagine it is Jigu, not Zig, but I don't know.
メルフォンシーナ = MeRuHuONSi-Na = Shina ... I clearly hear Shina. What's happening to Meruhuon?

Ghetmurt as i've been writting it pronounced Ghettomaruto (like naruto). In Japanese ト[to] is often used when there is no vowel after the T, like rocket -> ロケット, so I subtracted the 'o' sound in between. As for the 'maru' part, I merged the sounds to get 'mur'.

For Zig, you're right. They are saying "Jiggu". ジ [ji] is the katakana for 'th' and used for 'z' on occasion as well. Mostly thinking that's what they were going for.

メルフォン is Melfon. She only get's referred to as Shina, but for some reason he last name is included in the speech bubble. It might come into play later on in the story. Ghetmurt seems to hate casts, weaklings, pretty much everyone. So i'm really curious as to why he has Shina follow him around.

RocSage
Jul 26, 2012, 10:31 AM
Ghetmurt as i've been writting it pronounced Ghettomaruto (like naruto). In Japanese ト[to] is often used when there is no vowel after the T, like rocket -> ロケット, so I subtracted the 'o' sound in between. As for the 'maru' part, I merged the sounds to get 'mur'.

I don't see how you are getting that it is pronounced or spelled like that. I clearly hear Getta Muharu whenever Shina says his name.

I originally thought it was Gettemhart which is easier to pronounce and makes a bit of sense with the spelling, but yesterday when I started listening to the clips I never once heard an "em" sound nor an "art" sound. But I do hear what sounds like 2 words, Getta and Muharu and thinking through the spelling I can only guess that the 2nd symbol causes the Es to take on a more english pronunciation which results in Geta. Doubling the T because it sounds like there should be a double t there. That leave Muharuto... to like you said can be dropped but Mharu doesn't really work and I don't think they'd have that H there if it was Maru. So that leaves me to think it is more like Miharu, but with a "u"

That's just my thinking on it.

メルフォン is Melfon. She only get's referred to as Shina, but for some reason he last name is included in the speech bubble. It might come into play later on in the story. Ghetmurt seems to hate casts, weaklings, pretty much everyone. So i'm really curious as to why he has Shina follow him around.

So it's a last name? Interesting. Is there any way to distinguish between first/last name?

Kion
Jul 26, 2012, 10:53 AM
Keeping the spelling true to the source material, it would probably be something like "Ghettomaurt". Ghetmurt more of a personal preference.

I'm mostly assuming it's a last name. Japan writes last names first. One thing that struck me though, is the lack of honorifics. Even on even status, people will generally add 'san' or 'kun' or at least 'chan' to someone's name. Leaving it off entirely is pretty rude and can equivocate to treating someone like a dog.

If it is a last name (which seems somewhat unlikely as no one else has one), then it would indicate that she has a connection with some family or group. Judging by her use of words, they tend to be higher class using very proper Japanese. So this is a hunch and can't be confirmed until we get some back story on their characters.

What i've kind of been formulating in my head is that Ghetmurt is a higher up arks, as well as Shina. Except that Ghetmurt treats her like trash to assert his position. Or at least that's the impression i'm getting.

Kion
Jul 26, 2012, 10:54 AM
And of course it could be that her first name is Melfonshina, shortened to Shina. No way to know as of this point.

Kion
Jul 26, 2012, 10:58 AM
MB4 A-1
AP 238/3/4

Ghetmurt: Oh it's just you. I have no business with you. Where's that masked bastard? Hurry up and bring him out.
Ghetmurt: But it's not like you know anything about him anyways.
Ghetmurt: Someone is bounded to you by fate and you have no idea who they are. Or what motivations they have. You don't think that's pathetic?
Shina: Are you hiding something? Meaningless silence will only end up destroying you.
Ghetmurt: Stop talking Shina. It's still too early for me to kill that guy.
Shina: But from the situation the other day, it's impossible to conclude they have no relationship. Any information should be extracted out of him.
Ghetmurt: Shina? Are you disobeying me?
Shina: No. Please forgive my impertinance.
Ghetmurt: Dance around as you like. Once you're ready I'll be coming for you.

Kion
Jul 26, 2012, 11:12 AM
Okay, spaced on the writing, for some reason i thought it was ゲットマハルト. Gettemuhart maybe?. Still have no idea for what sega is going for here. I'm content to just keep using Ghetmurt because it sounds better.

Kion
Jul 26, 2012, 11:35 AM
Mb4 B6
AP 238/3/3
Zeno: What the fuck do you think you're doing?
Gettemart: Fine. Come on Zeno. If it's you then I think i can enjoy myself.
Echo: Zeno, calm down. MelfonShina, stop that violent person of yours as well.
Shina: I don't believe I know who you're referring to.

Zeno: Oh hey...
Gettemart: The mood has been ruined. You sure have bad timing.
Gettemart: That's fine, I have a chance when ever.
Gettemart: Later Zeno. Keep playing with those little toddlers of yours.
Echo: Zeno..
Zeno: It's fine echo. Sorry to make you worry.
Zeno: And to you too. Sorry I let you see me like this.
Zeno: Just think of this as a side i don't like to show people. Do me a favor and let me spare you the details.
Zeno: I'm going to cool off. Later.
Echo: Zeno, wait.
Echo: Sorry, I'm going to chase after him.

Kion
Jul 26, 2012, 11:38 AM
So I'll write it as Zeno. I was writing it like that before, but the English patch had him listed as Xeno. I'm fine with either or.

Also this event managed to clear up Shina's name. Echo calls her MelfonShina. So one way or another, that's her name.

Kion
Jul 26, 2012, 11:46 AM
MB4 A5
Ap 238/3/10
Furrie: Oh hi.
Furrie: Sorry, but could you not make any loud noise?
Furrie: Look over there.
Furrie: It's rare to see them relaxed like that. Normally they have their guard up all of the time.
Furrie: That's a battle machine?
Furrie: Those guys are native creatures so there's no reason the machines should attack them. BUt something seems wrong.
Furrie: Watch out! RUN!
Furrie: Sorry, it seems like we've been seen by the enemy.
Furrie: I'll help you, so let's defeat them.

Kion
Jul 26, 2012, 11:59 AM
MB4 C1
AP 238/3/9
Furrie: Over there. Look at that.
Furrie: You saw that right? There's no mistaking it this time.
Furrie: There are no errors in my memory or camera. It was really there.
Furrie: If you saw it too then it was really there.
Furrie: The little shadows. Or should I say little persons. That's what they really look like.
Furrie: I wasn't able to talk or say thank you, but I'll get there.
Furrie: For now just knowing they're really there is enough.
Furrie: After this is just patience and percerverance. And I am confident i have enough of both.
Furrie: Thanks for all of your help.

RocSage
Jul 26, 2012, 12:01 PM
Listen to event tab 34. I played it over and over trying to hear what she is saying.
GeteMuharuto is pronounced exactly as is spelled when Shina says it.
I hear every syllable, but I think it is his full name rather than just first or last.

I don't think what we have in that scene (MB4 B-6) is her name as in it's her full given name and just shortened. As you pointed out Shina could be her given and Melfon her surname and Getemuharuto simply uses her given name and for some reason Echo used her full name. I've seen in anime people do that. Further all the other talking so far has been between people that would use more familiar language and this is our first time we've seen a point when that's not the case and we have polite people (Echo) talking.

Kion
Jul 26, 2012, 12:04 PM
GeteMuharuto is exactly how his name is pronounced in Japanese. I still have no idea how to condense that into a concise english spelling.

For MelfonShina what bothers me is that they haven't given any other characters any last names. Maybe she's like John Stuart and has two first names?

RocSage
Jul 26, 2012, 12:16 PM
GeteMuharuto is exactly how his name is pronounced in Japanese. I still have no idea how to condense that into a concise english spelling.

For MelfonShina what bothers me is that they haven't given any other characters any last names. Maybe she's like John Stuart and has two first names?

Yeah, beats me for that one too and an english spelling would likely make it longer since the "e"s are our "A" but if you just switch them Gata would look like it should rhyme with Kata so you'd have to make it Gaytay or Gayta or something like that. The only other solution is to assume it is 2 names and split it at Gete and Muharuto and just use one of the two.

Melfon is, as far as i recall, fairly common in anime as a surname so I would bet it is a surname. As far as why she has it and noone else has it i would go with either she is the only one where it ever comes up or she isn't the only one. Getemuharuto, as pointed out, could be partially a family name and thus there would be at minimum two and it could just be their personalities that they use it.

Kion
Jul 26, 2012, 08:27 PM
How to write it in English still bugs me. I'm inclined to take creative license and keep calling him "Ghetmurt". Maybe "Ghettemhert"? "Ghettem Hart"?Anyways, I'm just trying to put off translating Furrie's MB4 conversations. I mean we get it, she's trying to thank the Lilipuffs. How many scenes about 'little shadows' does sega need to throw in?

Maronji
Jul 26, 2012, 08:27 PM
Sorry to interrupt, but I wanted to point something out. I'm not sure if it's a browser cache error or maybe a small mishap, though.

I was looking through the event tablet translations again out of curiosity (trying to catch up on stuff because I haven't looked in a while), and I noticed that for event tablet 23, you seem to have the wrong video posted in there. It seems to be a Zeno/Xeno (I honestly don't care) event tablet, but there appears to be a Patty and Tia matter board video in there (MB3 B-1 to be exact). Again, not sure if it's just on my end (aka a cache issue) or what, but I thought I'd point it out just to be safe.

I'll look through everything else and see if I can find any other weird occurrences like that.

EDIT: It seems to have the right video in the Matter Board 3 section; it's just in the Event Tablet section where there seems to be a minor mixup. Haven't seen anything else yet.

RocSage
Jul 26, 2012, 09:55 PM
How to write it in English still bugs me. I'm inclined to take creative license and keep calling him "Ghetmurt". Maybe "Ghettemhert"? "Ghettem Hart"?Anyways, I'm just trying to put off translating Furrie's MB4 conversations. I mean we get it, she's trying to thank the Lilipuffs. How many scenes about 'little shadows' does sega need to throw in?

Not as many as they thought was necessary to put in of tia and patty?

Sorry to interrupt, but I wanted to point something out. I'm not sure if it's a browser cache error or maybe a small mishap, though.

I was looking through the event tablet translations again out of curiosity (trying to catch up on stuff because I haven't looked in a while), and I noticed that for event tablet 23, you seem to have the wrong video posted in there. It seems to be a Zeno/Xeno (I honestly don't care) event tablet, but there appears to be a Patty and Tia matter board video in there (MB3 B-1 to be exact). Again, not sure if it's just on my end (aka a cache issue) or what, but I thought I'd point it out just to be safe.

I'll look through everything else and see if I can find any other weird occurrences like that.

EDIT: It seems to have the right video in the Matter Board 3 section; it's just in the Event Tablet section where there seems to be a minor mixup. Haven't seen anything else yet.

thanks. Fixed. Also thanks to Blizz who pointed out 103 was broke.

RocSage
Jul 27, 2012, 01:23 PM
I hate when I make a mistake and lose videos I should have. I lost 2 videos, I think 1 was Shina and the other was I think the last Lisa video, because I didn't hit the stop record after the A-2 video.

On the plus side I got 4 ET videos other than that and A-2 video, by the end of the day I'll have A-4 and probably A-6.

Kion
Jul 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
MB4 c-3
AP 238/3/8
Furrie: Thanks for the help the other day.
Furrie: I'm completely healed up. I can go anywhere.
Furrie: I need to ask a favor of you.
Furrie: Can we go to the desert together?
Furrie: I dont have any confidence in what i saw. I want to go with someone.
Furrie: Please when ever you have time is okay.

Kion
Jul 27, 2012, 02:21 PM
Okay Sega, stop it with the fucking shadows, we fucking get it already and you showed it in the freaking preview trailer. Are you paying your writers by the word or something? I can't believe i have to sit though more fo these freaking convos with Furrie in MB4. FUUUCCCKKKK YOOOOUUUUUU

They actually managed to bring it up TWICE in the same event. Fuck you sega. Just fuck you.

MB4 D4 part1
Ap238/3/4
Furrie: Hello, you're Arks right?
Furrie: You're the one who accepted the request? Thank you very much.
Furrie: Do you have a second befroe I explain the details?
Furrie: On the seond planet Lilipa, have you seen any small shadows? Do you knwo where they are?
Furrie: I guess you haven't...
Furrie: Sorry for the weird question. Even when shadows are spotted no one is sure where they appear.
Furrie: Sorry, my name is Furrie. I'm also in Arks.
--------------------------
Furrie: Have you heard the stories about small shadows on Lilipa?
Furrie: Those little shadows actually saved my life. Do you believe me?
Furrie: I was injured and couldn't move. when I thought "this is the end" those shadows helped me.
Furrie: A lot happened but i managed to make it back. I didn't get a chance to thank who helped me.
Furrie: That's why i just have one request.
Furrie: Can you help me look for those little shadows in my place?
Furrie: I'd like to look too, but i can't with my injury.
Furrie: Whether you believe me or not doesn't matter. I will still pay.
Furrie: Was that a dream? Or did it happened? I want to confirm that much.
Furrie: When ever you have time, please.

Kion
Jul 27, 2012, 02:28 PM
God, who ever wrote this shit needs to die in a fire.

MB4 D4 part 2
AP 238/3/6
Affin: Small shadows? What's up? Looking for them?
Affin: I saw them over there a minute ago.
Affin: I've always been good at finding things for other people, but never for myself.

--------------

Affin: I guess they're not here any more.
Affin: But there....
Affin: What's that? A cloth?
Affin: It's not like the guard robots would have one. Maybe the shadow's?
Affin: At least it's proof that something is there.
Affin: To be honest there are still too many things we don't know about this planet.
Affin: Call it intuition or a prediction. But I think there's still more mysteries.
Affin: Well i guess we'll figure it out by investigating.
Affin: Alright, I'm going to finish my quest.
Affin: Help me out on my mission next time. Later.

Kion
Jul 27, 2012, 02:37 PM
MB4 D4 part 3
AP 238/3/6
Furrie: How did it go?
Furrie: Is this cloth something left behind by the shadows?
Furrie: I guess they really were there. It wasnt a dream.
Furrie: That's good to know, that there's someone I need to thank.
Furrie: Thanks.
Furrie: I need to hurry upp and heal so I can go thank them.
Furrie: If it's nto too much trouble, I'd like you to help me with that too.

RocSage
Jul 27, 2012, 06:39 PM
Finally figured out what video this one i had on my PC a while was. Good thing didn't delete it. It was the second half of the super long Tia and Patty clip that got cut in half that I didn't notice which was #70. So I combined them and re-uploaded that one so now it has the whole thing yay. And noone would know or care less i said something so... yeah >.>

RocSage
Jul 28, 2012, 02:08 AM
Hey Kion, can you look over Tyrant in Dunes when you get a chance. You have Getemuharuto saying infected by "arks" rather than "darkers" or "darks" which is somewhat significantly important as it could change what "ARKS" are

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 28, 2012, 03:40 AM
BUT PLS KION I HAVE 2 NO I AM NOT DELUSIONAL AND THAT I WAS SAVED BY SOMETHING! I SWEAR I SAW THE SHADOWS OF SOME SMALL CREATURES PLS I HAVE TO PAY MY RESPECTS PLS!

Kion
Jul 28, 2012, 11:00 AM
Sorry, mistype. It is "darkers".

RocSage
Jul 28, 2012, 02:52 PM
Sorry, mistype. It is "darkers".

thought so, but wanted to make sure. Thanks ^.^

RocSage
Jul 28, 2012, 10:21 PM
5 more videos added ^.^
8 more videos to get, should be 6 more, but i be stupid. However if I don't get them relatively quickly they do come instantly once you open up the matter board.

Could have made a guide to how the ETs are unlocked by the matter board, but too late now.

RocSage
Jul 29, 2012, 12:14 PM
2 more videos up
6 more to go yar!

proud scales on amuduskia alternate answer vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WENM0t5FKzA

RocSage
Jul 29, 2012, 10:06 PM
5 more videos uploaded.
Unless there is a scene after the last story mission that is all for Matter Board 5 and thus all story stuff is gotten.

Kion
Jul 30, 2012, 01:34 AM
Then I need to get caught up.

MB4 E1
AP 238/3/11
Clot: Coming all the way out to this hot place, you're working hard.
Clot: But as you can see, there's nothing here. Or what was here is gone.
Clot: Looks like someone went crazy and destroyed everything.
Clot: Well I guess someone cleaning up early morning makes things easier for me.
Clot: If you come here early morning you might get caught up.
Clot: Just be careful. Later.

Kion
Jul 30, 2012, 01:47 AM
MB4 E5
AP 238/3/2
Zig:Oh it's you. Came here to show me something? Is it going to bring back my passion?
Zig: It's no good, my passion won't come back for a weapon... like....
Zig: What's this!!? The form has no purpose and yet it meshes together.
Zig: This form, how was it made? More importantly how did they train to make this?
Zeg: Hey, where did you find this?
Zig: In the ice? What do you. But this is... nows not the time for questions. Time to act.
Zig: Can you lend this to me? If it's me I maybe able to fix it.
Zig: Don't worry I wont charge you.
Zig: Actually it's the other way around. If you want I can make a weapon for you in exchange.
Zig: A broken weapon like this, that's this incredible. I must see what the completed weapon looks like.
Zig: The passion frozen in me has started burning once again!
Zig: Hahahaha! I'm looking forward to this.
Zig: What potential you really have i need to see.

Kion
Jul 30, 2012, 01:51 AM
Half assing these for speed.

MB4 E6
AP 238/3/3
Rojio: Something is definitely off about this.
Rojio: Not the forest, the Tundra is off. This isn't natural.
Rojio: Such a strange area. How was it formed?
Rojio: Naberius might not be the normal safe planet we thought it was. Actually it could be much worse.
Rojio: I'm going to analyze the data. If I figure something out I'll contact you.

Kion
Jul 30, 2012, 01:56 AM
Yes! MB4 completed.

MB4 F2
Affin: Hey partner. How it going? Meeting here might be fate too.
Affin: It's like a maze. I've completely lost where I was heading.
Affin: One of those little shadows, was searching for something.
Affin: It was over there, but as soon as I looked at it, it ran away.
Affin: It's rude don't you think? Like I'm going to do anything.
Affin: But it looks like they know the entire area. I wonder if there are any markings (land marks)?
Affin: Well it's not like i can communicate. So I guess I'll just have to figure soemthing out.

RocSage
Jul 30, 2012, 03:00 AM
Kion, are these good translations?

ずっと明日を待っていた - Long Awaited Tomorrow
不気味なナベリウス - Eerie Naberius
砂塵の奥 - In the Desert
龍の病 - Dragon's Disease

I used babelfish to get the general idea.

Wayu
Jul 30, 2012, 04:28 AM
Corrections that should be made to first post. Changes are in bold.

[SPOILER-BOX]
In Japanese there some rules to pronouncing words, but I'm not sure where they are followed or not:

A = the a in Bah Humbug
E = How we say A in Pay
I = How we say E in We
U = usually not spoken
O = How we say O in Crono

R = Can sometimes be L or R
Z = Can be J (they are very close in pronunciation)

But the game doesn't seem to follow all of this since Xeno is pronounce Zeno (as in Zen Bhuddism) rather than Xeno (as in Xenophobic)

As far as ラヴェール/RaVe-Ru I think it is Lovelle or Raviel instead of what's up there now. Raviel seems to be the closest.

Japanese: ゼノ
Transliterated: ZeNo
English: Zeno

Japanese: エコー
Transliterated: EKo-
English: Echo

Japanese: アフィン
Transliterated: AFiN
English: Affin

Japanese: マトイ
Transliterated: MaToI
English: Matoi

Japanese: シオン
Transliterated: ShiON
English: Shion

Japanese: ゲッテムハルト
Transliterated: GeTeMuHaRuTo
English: Gettemhart

Japanese: メルフォンシーナ
Transliterated: MeRuFuONSi-Na
English: Melfoshina (no last/first names yet, so one name)

Japanese: フーリエ
Transliterated: Fu-RiE
English: Furie

Japanese: アキ
Transliterated: AKi
English: Aki

Japanese: ライト
Transliterated: RaITo
English: Light

Japanese: ジグ
Transliterated: JiGu
English: Jig/Jigg

Japanese: ロジオ
Transliterated: RoJiO
English: Rojio

Japanese: パティ
Transliterated: PaTi
English: Patty

Japanese: ティア
Transliterated: TiA
English: Tia

Japanese: マリア
Transliterated: MaRiA
English: Maria

Japanese: サラ
Transliterated: SaRa
English: Sarah

Japanese: フィリア
Transliterated: FuIRiA
English: Furia

Japanese: クロト
Transliterated: KuRoTo
English: Kuroto

Japanese: マールー
Transliterated: Ma-Ru-
English: Maloo (seems to be most popular English translation)

Japanese: オーザ
Transliterated: O-Za
English: Ozza

Japanese: ジャン
Transliterated: JyaN
English: Jean

Japanese: レダ
Transliterated: ReDa
English: Reda

Japanese: ブリギッタ
Transliterated: BuRiGiTa
English:Brigitta

Japanese: ヒルダ
Transliterated: HiRuDa
English: Hilda

Japanese: メリッタ
Transliterated: MeRiTa
English: Melitta

Japanese: リサ
Transliterated: RiSa
English: Lisa

Japanese: テオドール
Transliterated: TeODo-Ru
English: Theodore

Japanese: ウルク
Transliterated: URuKu
English: Ulk

Japanese: レギアス
Transliterated: ReGiASu
English: Regias

Japanese: クラリスクレイス
Transliterated: KuRaRiSuKuReISu
English: Claris Cleis (not sure about this one)

Japanese: カスラ
Transliterated: KaSuRa
English: Kasura

Japanese: リュカ
Transliterated: RYuKa
English: Ryuka

Japanese: ヒューイ
Transliterated: HYu-I
English: Hyuui (not sure)

Japanese: サトリ
Transliterated: SaToRi
English: Satori

Japanese: アンリ
Transliterated: ANRi
English: Anly

Japanese: ジョゼ
Transliterated: JyoZe
English: Josse

Japanese: ウッド
Transliterated: UDo
English: Udd (?)

Japanese: ヘレナ
Transliterated: HeReNa
English: Helena

Japanese: ミリアム
Transliterated: MiRiAMu
English: Milliam

Japanese: コフィー
Transliterated: KoFuI-
English: Koffee

Japanese: フランカ
Transliterated: FuRaNKa
English: Franka

Japanese: ハンス
Transliterated: HaNSu
English: Hans

Japanese: ジラード
Transliterated: ZiRa-Do
English: Gerard

Japanese: ジョーゼフ
Transliterated: ZYo-Zefu
English: Joseph

Japanese: エメライン
Transliterated: EMeRaIN
English: Emerain

Japanese: クレシダ
Transliterated: KuReSiDa
English: Creshida

Japanese: ローラ
Transliterated: RoRa
English:Laura

Japanese: ラヴェール
Transliterated: RaVe-Ru
English: Ravelle
[/SPOILER-BOX]

Whoever translated this mistranslated every single ジ (ji) as "zi". Same with フ (fu) as "hu".

-Wayu

RocSage
Jul 30, 2012, 05:03 AM
Corrections that should be made to first post. Changes are in bold.

Whoever translated this mistranslated every single ジ (ji) as "zi". Same with フ (fu) as "hu".

-Wayu

Yeah I know ^.^, because I am trying to figure what some of the symbols means and there isn't a clear explanation of it, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong in several places also...

I don't get how you are getting the Sh sound for Shion and Shina, but I know that those have it.

Getemuharuto is not Gettemhart as every syllable is clearly pronounced and sounded.
It's Melfonshina with an N ^.^

The u is sounded I think in Jigu

Furia = Fria
Oza = Ohza or Oza (Double z makes the O change sound)
Kuroto = Krot, Kroto, Kuroto, or Clot (I prefer Clot, having seen it)
Reda/Leda = I don't know of anything that it could be other than Lita (which is pronounced like Leda) so yeah.
HYu-I = I'm pretty sure is Huey, like from Duck Tales.
Anri = Anri it is a french name
ZiRa-Do = the name you suggest is the same, just a different spelling. I selected the one I did simply because it looks more french which is probably what they were going for.
UDo = is probably Udo. I've seen it in some places.
MiRiAMu = Merriam

KuReSiDa = Again I don't see how you get the sh, but I'm pretty sure this is Cresida or Cresidia

RoRa = This could be Lola or Lora. Both are common names

That's all the problems i have with your suggestions. I'll fix the things that work.

Wayu
Jul 30, 2012, 05:42 AM
Time to make the dude learning Japanese to learn to NOT doubt a native Japanese speaker. :P

First of all these are fan translations of names. We have no idea what the official ones will be so its mostly speculation on the weird names.

-----

ゲッテムハルト = Gettemuharuto. Sorry but you're wrong. Also, clear pronunciation really doesn't have much to do with anything, unless you're insinuating something.

---

I made a mistake below.

[SPOILER-BOX]Japanese: フィリア
Transliterated: FiRiA
English: Filia?[/SPOILER-BOX]

---

The u is sounded I think in Jigu
^
That doesn't say anything about the English translation.

---

オーザ is a tricky one. Can't think of a IRL name that would fit. Ozza seems to be the most used.

---

I don't see any problem in translating クロト directly into "Kuroto". Nagisa in PSP2i would have been "Nagisa" in English as well so I don't see your problem with it unless you don't like Japanese names. In which case you probably should stop playing PSO2.

The same applies for レダ (Reda/Leda) as above.

---

Huey is right, forgot about that name.

---

I missed this mistake as well:

Transliterated: JiRa-Do

ジラード = Jiraado. Not exactly Gerard/Gerald as there would be a small エ in between the ジ and the ラ if it was, but this is my best guess.

---

No clue about Udo.

---

How does "Miriamu" turn into Melliam? Where did the E come from? Best guess I believe is Milliam.

---

クレシダ = Kureshida. There isn't a "si" in the Japanese language. No idea where you got the idea that there isn't a "shi" in Japanese.

---

ローラ = Roora. Lola or Lora would be ロラ.

---

I'll be blunt here, you need to relearn your Japanese, especially your basic katakana, Roc. You're making way too many mistakes.

-Wayu

Maronji
Jul 30, 2012, 06:18 AM
How does "Miriamu" turn into Melliam? Where did the E come from? Best guess I believe is Milliam.
Sorry to butt in on this... whatever it is, but is there any reason why simply "Miriam" or "Myriam" wouldn't work? Just curious.

クレシダ = Kureshida. There isn't a "si" in the Japanese language. No idea where you got the idea that there isn't a "shi" in Japanese.
I want to say that he's using the either Nihon-shiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihon-shiki_romanization) or Kunrei-shiki romanization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunrei-shiki_romanization) system (either one fits what he's been writing for the romanizations of the names). What you're using (and what both of us seem to be more used to) is the Hepburn romanization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepburn_romanization) system. Yeah, I know, Wikipedia is bad, etc., but I think on that note, you're technically both right. It's just different romanization systems.

I'd like to make further comments on the "translated" names, but I know nothing, we've seen nothing (well, for most characters, anyway), and we could probably argue about this and not get anywhere on it until concept art of the other characters and/or articles/scans come out with the actual spellings or until the international servers come out. Not a productive way to pass the time, in my own opinion.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I'm just... gonna back away now. Slowly.

RocSage
Jul 30, 2012, 06:20 AM
-Wayu

The thing is this isn't pure Japanese as it is clear they are using English and French and Japanese names.

When translating a name it should be based on how it is pronounced. So Getemuharuto should be spelled almost exactly like that in english because that is what it sounds like they are saying. Every "u" in the name is sounded so it isn't Gettemhart. It makes sense if you're just spelling it, but you hear it a ton of times and so we know it isn't right to say that it is Gettemhart.

If it's Filia then it should likely be spelled Philia.

O-Za is Ohza or Oza for english spelling. When you add the second z it become a different vowel. Ozzy for example. Im not sure if thats a real rule or not, but stylistically English would not have a double z for that name

Kuroto. Is that a real name? it doesn't look or sound right to me, but I've never heard it said and i've never come across it elsewhere.

Miriamu. Merriam is a real name and it is far too close to probably not be. I would bet it is a transliterated version especially since there is no equivalent sound for that "E" in japanese that my brain is pulling up at the moment and "u" is often enough not voiced.

ローラ, Lora and Laura are the exact same phonetically. I see how you got that, but not how you disqualify Lora unless there is a rule for the transliterated name. I assume Jean, John, and Jon are all spelled the same in japanese so I assume Lora and Laura would be the same.

Also I'm not trying to be confrontational if that is what it sounds like. I just should be asleep right now. Also I don't know japanese. I know roughly how it works and I can play match the symbols and use translation programs and dictionaries and common sense and I am a natural with languages so it just appears that i might know more of the language than i do, but I have bad eyes, the japanese symbols don't really compute, and even for the simple stuff there are symbols that look exactly alike so yeah. I don't expect to be too accurate and it's why i asked someone to correct that ^.^

Wayu
Jul 30, 2012, 06:23 AM
Not familiar with the "Miriam" and "Myriam" names.

Hepburn's the one that's taught where ever schools teach Japanese, even in Japan. If he's using the Nihon-shiki or Kunrei I'd be surprised and curious to as where he learned it. If it was self-taught, well, go to Hepburn lol.

And like I said, speculation.

-Wayu

RocSage
Jul 30, 2012, 06:28 AM
Not familiar with the "Miriam" and "Myriam" names.

They are all the same phonetically to Merriam. Just different spellings, but I have seen those used more often in manga and anime than Merriam so one of those will likely be used

And like I said, speculation.

Yeah, but at the same time with SEGA Affin's name might magically become Pillow in the "global" release lol

edit: also i posted right before you posted... just in case you didn't see it.

bardiche
Jul 30, 2012, 06:34 AM
I suggest Girard for ジラード.
I believe Miriam would be a more likely name than Milliam ?
オーザ seems like it can go a few ways. Ozza looks kinda off to me though, because it seems to emphasis on the 'zz' sound more than it should.

RocSage>
The thing you should recognize about the pronunciation is that katakana has a limited way of writing foreign words, being a syllabary. Siegfried is written ジークフリート, and often times a japanese person will read the kana -exactly- as it is, unless they were familiar with the foreign word beforehand. This is very likely the case with ゲッテムハルト. Even more so when it's a name that might not have a true real equivalent.

Wayu
Jul 30, 2012, 06:36 AM
The thing is this isn't pure Japanese as it is clear they are using English and French and Japanese names.

I don't know French so can't say anything about that.

When translating a name it should be based on how it is pronounced. So Getemuharuto should be spelled almost exactly like that in english because that is what it sounds like they are saying. Every "u" in the name is sounded so it isn't Gettemhart. It makes sense if you're just spelling it, but you hear it a ton of times and so we know it isn't right to say that it is Gettemhart.

Once again its "Gettemuharuto". And just because the "u" is sounded doesn't mean its part of the English name. Like マイク (maiku) means Mike but there's no "u" in the name.

Maybe I should just tell Mike to pay attention to this thread...

No comment as I'm not familiar with either as names.

O-Za is Ohza or Oza for english spelling. When you add the second z it become a different vowel. Ozzy for example. Im not sure if thats a real rule or not, but stylistically English would not have a double z for that name

Well, Ozza is what most people seemingly use in-game to refer to the weakling, so I went with that.

Kuroto. Is that a real name? it doesn't look or sound right to me, but I've never heard it said and i've never come across it elsewhere.

RocSage doesn't sound like a real name either. Based on that logic, most Japanese names would be wrong to you because you didn't see it before.

Miriamu. Merriam is a real name and it is far too close to probably not be. I would bet it is a transliterated version especially since there is no equivalent sound for that "E" in japanese that my brain is pulling up at the moment and "u" is often enough not voiced.

"Far too close to probably not be" is an assumption, as was mine TBH. That's just my guess...but still, there IS a "me" in the Japanese alphabet so if they wanted Merriam they probably would have done メリアム instead.

ローラ, Lora and Laura are the exact same phonetically. I see how you got that, but not how you disqualify Lora unless there is a rule for the transliterated name. I assume Jean, John, and Jon are all spelled the same in japanese so I assume Lora and Laura would be the same.

This section's just incorrect. Copy and pasted from my previous post that referred to you:

Laura is ラウラ (Raura) but I'm not familiar enough with French/English names to think of an alternative.

Jean (I'm pronouncing this like the jeans you wear, the pants) is ジーン, John/Jon is ジョン.

Also I'm not trying to be confrontational if that is what it sounds like. I just should be asleep right now. Also I don't know japanese. I know roughly how it works and I can play match the symbols and use translation programs and dictionaries and common sense and I am a natural with languages so it just appears that i might know more of the language than i do, but I have bad eyes, the japanese symbols don't really compute, and even for the simple stuff there are symbols that look exactly alike so yeah. I don't expect to be too accurate and it's why i asked someone to correct that ^.^

Bold parts are either not very apparent or incorrect. That's fairly offensive and I'll apologize for that but you should trust a Japanese national to know more about Japanese than foreigners. ^^;

-Wayu

RocSage
Jul 30, 2012, 06:42 AM
RocSage>
The thing you should recognize about the pronunciation is that katakana has a limited way of writing foreign words, being a syllabary. Siegfried is written ジークフリート, and often times a japanese person will read the kana -exactly- as it is, unless they were familiar with the foreign word beforehand. This is very likely the case with ゲッテムハルト. Even more so when it's a name that might not have a true real equivalent.

The thing is i don't think that is a real name. I looked and couldn't find it and it sounds and looks Japanese. Further we have it spoken and it is spoken like it is written so given all that we must conclude that it is the way it sounds, until the english version comes out, at least for that name because of those factors.

Maronji
Jul 30, 2012, 07:08 AM
I can't argue with you there.

When translating a name it should be based on how it is pronounced.
Although that's true to an extent, I don't think that's the only criteria for translating a name, especially strange names like Gettemuharuto (just rolling with that for now) that don't have some sort of equivalent in another language. Since I don't really know Japanese, however (I just know Katakana and Hiragana (almost like the back of my hand) and Japanese pronunciation), I can't really comment on this any further with any degree of accuracy.

I question your not listing any reasoning for this change, but I will agree on the account that it looks better stylistically.

I'll hazard a guess, based on a quick Google search, and say "yes". However, I've also seen the extremely similar "Kurot", so it's hard to say which one's actually right, but I won't comment on this any further.

Wayu wasn't familiar with the name, and you seem to be skipping over it as well, so I'll just drop this here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_(given_name)). I thereby posit that Miriam/Myriam is a plausible choice (sorry, but I think it's eons closer than Merriam). I mean, look at how close it is, both by spelling and pronunciation. I'm not saying it's got to be the right one, but seriously, at least give it some consideration.

EDIT: Okay, missed a post further up, but I'll just this point here anyway

I assume Jean, John, and Jon are all spelled the same in japanese
I had something written here, but Wayu voiced my point in a much more compact manner.

Also I'm not trying to be confrontational if that is what it sounds like. I just should be asleep right now.
If that's what you're worried about, you should probably just go to sleep. Take my advice on that one.

On the subject of ゲッテムハルト: Maybe it's not Gettemhart (because of the "ハルト"; it would be ゲッテムハート otherwise) but Gettemhalt. A one-letter change, sure, but it could make all the difference. Though to be fair to all parties, it probably isn't a real name anyway, so we'd probably be here all day trying to figure out what his name actually is.

Ezodagrom
Jul 30, 2012, 07:09 AM
Got a scene with Matoi that seems to not be listed, I'm guessing it's related to the underground mines area since Matoi mentions Lillipa. Unfortunately I couldn't get pictures from what she said, since I had the UI turned off for pictures. ^^;
Scratch this, I forgot that the NPC chat appears in the log:

[spoiler-box]http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/1301/pso20120730131526007.jpg[/spoiler-box]

RocSage
Jul 30, 2012, 07:14 AM
Once again its "Gettemuharuto". And just because the "u" is sounded doesn't mean its part of the English name. Like マイク (maiku) means Mike but there's no "u" in the name.

Maybe I should just tell Mike to pay attention to this thread...

Sounded means that it is audible, rather than inaudible. Sasuke for example pronounced properly Saske, but a lot of English pronounce it Sasooke. The difference is that with "Saske" the u is not sounded, while in "Sasooke" it is sounded.

When the name is spoken every u is sounded so it isn't Hart, it is Haruto. This is how it is pronounced in the game and until the english version comes out i can't see how one can argue that it is anything else.

No comment as I'm not familiar with either as names.

Yeah. Not a common name. I've only seen it maybe 2 times. Once in .hack\G.U. and a long time ago in something else.

Well, Ozza is what most people seemingly use in-game to refer to the weakling, so I went with that.

I've seen Oza, Ohza, and Ozza. Realistically it is all the same, but Ozza looks odd and increases the chances that it will be said wrong so even though it is "ok" more than likely it will not be that.

RocSage doesn't sound like a real name either. Based on that logic, most Japanese names would be wrong to you because you didn't see it before.

It sounds like a something i can't remember how to spell though. Im fairly familiar with names of all different origins and it just doesn't sound like a name. That's all. I was asking if it was an actual name so I could add it to the back of my brain.

"Far too close to probably not be" is an assumption, as was mine TBH. That's just my guess...but still, there IS a "me" in the Japanese alphabet so if they wanted Merriam they probably would have done メリアム instead.

Japanese "Me" is not the same as English "Me" you know. English "Me" is Japanese "Mi" but the "er" in Merriam is vowel that doesn't exist in Japanese to my knowledge, but English is funky and as pointed out those other names work and they both have different letters for the vowels even though all three are the same name.

This section's just incorrect. Copy and pasted from my previous post that referred to you:

Laura is ラウラ (Raura) but I'm not familiar enough with French/English names to think of an alternative.

I misread what you said. I don't understand why it wouldn't be Laura or Lora based on phonetics, I see how it's not Lola and I can see "why" you would say it's not, but I don't see how that works that way, but whatever. I'll put Roora down and then if it's Lora when they translate I'll be all like "I was right :P"

Jean (I'm pronouncing this like the jeans you wear, the pants) is ジーン, John/Jon is ジョン.

Jean is pronounced the same as Jon in french and is common in English speaking countries as the same name as that... The other way is also correct though. In the case of Jean there is no way to tell if it is Jon or Gene unless someone tells you.

Bold parts are either not very apparent or incorrect. That's fairly offensive and I'll apologize for that but you should trust a Japanese national to know more about Japanese than foreigners. ^^;

I'm not trying to be confrontational. I just sound that way. Don't mean to be.
Common Sense doesn't always work with languages, but if it is close to a name common sense says that it is more than likely that name or a variation of it.
And I am a natural with languages. I just am not very good with read japanese because they need better letters! I demand japan get better letters for their language!

RocSage
Jul 30, 2012, 07:25 AM
Wayu wasn't familiar with the name, and you seem to be skipping over it as well, so I'll just drop this here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_(given_name)). I thereby posit that Miriam/Myriam is a plausible choice (sorry, but I think it's eons closer than Merriam). I mean, look at how close it is, both by spelling and pronunciation. I'm not saying it's got to be the right one, but seriously, at least give it some consideration.

I'm not skipping over it, sorry if it looks that way. I just am not using them when typnig my reply ^.^ All those names are the same as pointed out and more than likely is Myriam or Miriam as I've seen those more often used as already stated, but it's all the same name with different spelling.

On the subject of ゲッテムハルト: Maybe it's not Gettemhart (because of the "ハルト"; it would be ゲッテムハート otherwise) but Gettemhalt. A one-letter change, sure, but it could make all the difference. Though to be fair to all parties, it probably isn't a real name anyway, so we'd probably be here all day trying to figure out what his name actually is.

True, but I'm saying spell it the way the people are saying it in the videos. That's the easiest solution until an english version comes out or we get something to say otherwise.

Got a scene with Matoi that seems to not be listed, I'm guessing it's related to the underground mines area since Matoi mentions Lillipa. Unfortunately I couldn't get pictures from what she said, since I had the UI turned off for pictures. ^^;
Scratch this, I forgot that the NPC chat appears in the log:

[spoiler-box]http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/1301/pso20120730131526007.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Yeah. She has a new video every time you open a new planet area and usually when a new story mission opens up. I don't have it unlocked so i don't have it yet.

bardiche
Jul 30, 2012, 07:53 AM
The thing is i don't think that is a real name. I looked and couldn't find it and it sounds and looks Japanese. Further we have it spoken and it is spoken like it is written so given all that we must conclude that it is the way it sounds, until the english version comes out, at least for that name because of those factors.

I don't think it's a real name either, but you're practically defaulting to faux-japanese because you can't link it to anything else except that it's pronounced in a japanese way(since in kana). I'm saying the pronunciation doesn't matter since it's being read off kana and it could be either Gettemuharuto or Gettemhart(or even another faux-western spelling), but because the name seems to be made to so very hard try and be faux-german, I'm more likely to believe the latter.

Wayu
Jul 30, 2012, 07:57 AM
Sounded means that it is audible, rather than inaudible. Sasuke for example pronounced properly Saske, but a lot of English pronounce it Sasooke. The difference is that with "Saske" the u is not sounded, while in "Sasooke" it is sounded.

When the name is spoken every u is sounded so it isn't Hart, it is Haruto. This is how it is pronounced in the game and until the English version comes out i can't see how one can argue that it is anything else.

Just FYI this game is in JAPANESE not ENGLISH so this point is pretty moot. People always want the ACCURATE translation. It's like saying Naruto should be Narooto in English games/anime because that's how most people with no knowledge of Japanese would say it.

And you seem to be ignoring my point on purpose so I'll say it one last time - just because the U is there doesn't necessarily mean its there in the English version.

I've seen Oza, Ohza, and Ozza. Realistically it is all the same, but Ozza looks odd and increases the chances that it will be said wrong so even though it is "ok" more than likely it will not be that.

Just because it's odd doesn't mean you can cast it asides as a contender. That's just narrow-viewed.

It sounds like a something i can't remember how to spell though. Im fairly familiar with names of all different origins and it just doesn't sound like a name. That's all. I was asking if it was an actual name so I could add it to the back of my brain.

I'm glad you don't know my real name. You'd probably argue that my name isn't a real name because you don't think its a real name.

Same as above point, just because it doesn't sound like a name or something TO YOU doesn't mean it isn't.

Japanese "Me" is not the same as English "Me" you know. English "Me" is Japanese "Mi" but the "er" in Merriam is vowel that doesn't exist in Japanese to my knowledge, but English is funky and as pointed out those other names work and they both have different letters for the vowels even though all three are the same name.

I have no idea what you're trying to say with this. But as you said, "to your knowledge". And your knowledge as you have proven yourself is quite limited, so its another moot point.

That and no "er" in Japanese? Er, no duh?

I misread what you said. I don't understand why it wouldn't be Laura or Lora based on phonetics, I see how it's not Lola and I can see "why" you would say it's not, but I don't see how that works that way, but whatever. I'll put Roora down and then if it's Lora when they translate I'll be all like "I was right :P"

It's Japanese, which is why you're not getting it.

Jean is pronounced the same as Jon in french and is common in English speaking countries as the same name as that... The other way is also correct though. In the case of Jean there is no way to tell if it is Jon or Gene unless someone tells you.

Well, there's some French trivia.

I'm not trying to be confrontational. I just sound that way. Don't mean to be.
Common Sense doesn't always work with languages, but if it is close to a name common sense says that it is more than likely that name or a variation of it.
And I am a natural with languages. I just am not very good with read japanese because they need better letters! I demand japan get better letters for their language!

No its just that your common sense doesn't seem so common. And if you know you sound confrontational change your tone.

-Wayu

Kion
Jul 30, 2012, 11:10 AM
Wayu's post was spot on. Just to add a few minor changes.

[spoiler-box]
Japanese: ゼノ
Transliterated: ZeNo
English: Zeno

Japanese: エコー
Transliterated: EKo-
English: Echo

Japanese: アフィン
Transliterated: AFiN
English: Affin

Japanese: マトイ
Transliterated: MaToI
English: Matoi

Japanese: シオン
Transliterated: ShiON
English: Shion

Japanese: ゲッテムハルト
Transliterated: GeTeMuHaRuTo
English: Ghettemhart [needs a 'h']

Japanese: メルフォンシーナ
Transliterated: MeRuFuONSi-Na
English: Melfonshina [there's a 'n' in her name]

Japanese: フーリエ
Transliterated: Fu-RiE
English: Furie

Japanese: アキ
Transliterated: AKi
English: Aki

Japanese: ライト
Transliterated: RaITo
English: Light

Japanese: ジグ
Transliterated: JiGu
English: Zig [as in ジッグラト -> Ziggurat]

Japanese: ロジオ
Transliterated: RoJiO
English: Rojio

Japanese: パティ
Transliterated: PaTi
English: Patty

Japanese: ティア
Transliterated: TiA
English: Tia

Japanese: マリア
Transliterated: MaRiA
English: Maria

Japanese: サラ
Transliterated: SaRa
English: Sarah

Japanese: フィリア
Transliterated: FuIRiA
English: Furia

Japanese: クロト
Transliterated: KuRoTo
English: Clot

Japanese: マールー
Transliterated: Ma-Ru-
English: Maloo

Japanese: オーザ
Transliterated: O-Za
English: Ozza

Japanese: ジャン
Transliterated: JyaN
English: John [how do you get Jean from this? Jean is ジーン in Japanese (Billy Jean -> ビリージーン)]

Japanese: レダ
Transliterated: ReDa
English: Ledda [doesn't matter, this just looks better]

Japanese: ブリギッタ
Transliterated: BuRiGiTa
English:Brigitta

Japanese: ヒルダ
Transliterated: HiRuDa
English: Hilda

Japanese: メリッタ
Transliterated: MeRiTa
English: Melitta

Japanese: リサ
Transliterated: RiSa
English: Lisa

Japanese: テオドール
Transliterated: TeODo-Ru
English: Theodore

Japanese: ウルク
Transliterated: URuKu
English: Ulk

Japanese: レギアス
Transliterated: ReGiASu
English: Regias

Japanese: クラリスクレイス
Transliterated: KuRaRiSuKuReISu
English: Claris Cleis (not sure about this one)

Japanese: カスラ
Transliterated: KaSuRa
English: Kasura

Japanese: リュカ
Transliterated: RYuKa
English: Ryuka

Japanese: ヒューイ
Transliterated: HYu-I
English: Hewey

Japanese: サトリ
Transliterated: SaToRi
English: Satori

Japanese: アンリ
Transliterated: ANRi
English: Anly

Japanese: ジョゼ
Transliterated: JyoZe
English: Josse

Japanese: ウッド
Transliterated: UDo
English: Udd (?)

Japanese: ヘレナ
Transliterated: HeReNa
English: Helena

Japanese: ミリアム
Transliterated: MiRiAMu
English: Myriam

Japanese: コフィー
Transliterated: KoFuI-
English: Koffee

Japanese: フランカ
Transliterated: FuRaNKa
English: Franka

Japanese: ハンス
Transliterated: HaNSu
English: Hans

Transliterated: ZiRa-Do

Japanese: ジョーゼフ
Transliterated: ZYo-Zefu
English: Joseph

Japanese: エメライン
Transliterated: EMeRaIN
English: Emerain

Japanese: クレシダ
Transliterated: KuReSiDa
English: Creshida

Japanese: ローラ
Transliterated: RoRa
English:Laura

Japanese: ラヴェール
Transliterated: RaVe-Ru
English: Ravelle
[/spoiler-box]

Kion
Jul 30, 2012, 11:20 AM

Just noticed this. Jean is fine if it's pronounced jon. "john" doesn't look like the kind of name that fits in this game.

RocSage
Jul 30, 2012, 02:14 PM
Just FYI this game is in JAPANESE not ENGLISH so this point is pretty moot. People always want the ACCURATE translation. It's like saying Naruto should be Narooto in English games/anime because that's how most people with no knowledge of Japanese would say it.

And you seem to be ignoring my point on purpose so I'll say it one last time - just because the U is there doesn't necessarily mean its there in the English version.

When translating a name to English from Japanese the name is always spelled with all the sounded vowels and sometimes with some of the unsounded vowels. Ever vowel in Getemuharuto is sounded and so when translated it would be Getemuharuto. The only way you have a leg to stand on is if some or none of the vowels were sounded. They are all sounded so you are wrong.

Just because it's odd doesn't mean you can cast it asides as a contender. That's just narrow-viewed.

I'm glad you don't know my real name. You'd probably argue that my name isn't a real name because you don't think its a real name.

Same as above point, just because it doesn't sound like a name or something TO YOU doesn't mean it isn't.

I have no idea what you're trying to say with this. But as you said, "to your knowledge". And your knowledge as you have proven yourself is quite limited, so its another moot point.

That and no "er" in Japanese? Er, no duh?

It's Japanese, which is why you're not getting it.

No its just that your common sense doesn't seem so common. And if you know you sound confrontational change your tone.

Wayu. I was trying to be nice last night, and was coming off as saying you're wrong and you don't know what your talking about in my first response so I felt I should bring it up and say that's not what I'm trying to do, but then I woke up this morning, read your post, remembered the previous posts from last. and you know what? I see that you are going out of your way to be insulting. For example I say "to my knowledge the er vowel doesn't exist in japanese" and instead of actually taking my point which is obviously be right at this point you choose to say "your knowledge has proven to be quite limited" which is not only insultingly bitchtastic of you to say it is also ironic considering the place in which you say that is exactly the place where I'm right, my knowledge is greater than yours, and it is indeed your lack of knowledge that lead you to be wrong there.

Considering all of the insults that have been flung about, while I would, and I'm sure everyone would, appreciate translation help I would rather you simply go away, taking your insulting and snobbery with you if you cannot hold a conversation without insulting people. And beyond that perhaps you would take it upon yourself to actually read what is being said and understand the point that is being made rather than ignorantly insulting people and making yourself look foolish by ignoring the points made.

RocSage
Jul 30, 2012, 02:26 PM
Wayu's post was spot on. Just to add a few minor changes.

Question, about a name that I just remembered. How sure are you that it is Ulk/Ulc and not Uruk which is an actual name. A rare last name taken from the Sumerian City of Uruk

Just noticed this. Jean is fine if it's pronounced jon. "john" doesn't look like the kind of name that fits in this game.

I agree that it is like Jean simply from the style of the game, but prefer to use John or Jon until we know for sure because as you guys have so shown and I have heard on mumble chat people are saying it like Gene rather than John.

RocSage
Jul 30, 2012, 05:32 PM
Added a "please help find these last few videos list" to the first post and added in all the English names.

Yes I'm using Getemuharuto, Ohza, John, and Lora in the list so. The first 3 has been argued enough. Lora because I don't see why you'd use Laura over Lora. They're the same phonetically and would both be turned into kana we have, but Lora is closer in spelling to the kana so that's why used that instead of Laura.

gigawuts
Jul 30, 2012, 06:01 PM
Just posting links from the Jean fanclub thread with identical spelling to the game.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A3%E3%83%B3

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A3%E3%83%B3%EF%BC%9D%E3%83%AA%E3%8 3%A5%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%83%BB%E3%83%94%E3%82%AB% E3%83%BC%E3%83%89

It's almost certainly not pronounced John.

RocSage
Jul 30, 2012, 06:23 PM
Just posting links from the Jean fanclub thread with identical spelling to the game.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A3%E3%83%B3

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A3%E3%83%B3%EF%BC%9D%E3%83%AA%E3%8 3%A5%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%83%BB%E3%83%94%E3%82%AB% E3%83%BC%E3%83%89

It's almost certainly not pronounced John.

Jean-Luc Picard
and
Jean-Claude Van Damme

both pronounced the same way John is.

There is a small, very small, difference between Jean and John when pronouncing Jean right, but it only exists if you can get the french accent right and it is so very slight that most people can't hear the difference.

I can't believe this is seriously something people don't know about as the name is fairly common throughout the world as are all the various spellings.

I'm hoping you've made an error and meant to say it most certainly is because even your evidence supports what i'm saying and the opposite of what you are saying. The only way someone infers something different in this case is if they are hearing a dubbed version of ST:TNG that pronounces the name wrong.

gigawuts
Jul 30, 2012, 06:52 PM
Well, no, the J is more of a JH. Jhon, or Zhon. It's not flatly John.

The difference is kind of important.

RocSage
Jul 30, 2012, 07:10 PM
Well, no, the J is more of a JH. Jhon, or Zhon. It's not flatly John.

The difference is kind of important.

Jean is more nasal. That's all.
Pronounced in French it's there.
But John, if you have a french accent, is pronounced the same way as Jean in France.
and Jean, if you have an English accent, is pronounced the same way as John in America.

Technically there is a difference in pronunciation if you pronounce each with their native tongue, but someone not of their native tongue pronouncing them will have the same pronunciation as the other.

It all depends on various aspects of how the individual pronounces those words, assuming they got the right understanding of the pronunciation to begin with. I recognize these differences, but as stated and shown, other people do not. Therefor for right now it is probably better to go with John than Jean to make sure the pronunciation is as close as possible to what it should be. Do you want to correct people every time they say the name wrong? or do you want to sound somewhat like a dip saying one spelling is more correct than the other when it could be either at the moment. To me it is just more accurate to say John, for moment, than Jean due to other people's understanding of how to say that word.

gigawuts
Jul 30, 2012, 07:13 PM
Oooor you can just abandon an accent and pronounce words the way they're pronounced in their origin countries.

John is not Jean. That's all there is to it.

Kion
Jul 30, 2012, 09:23 PM
When translating a name to English from Japanese the name is always spelled with all the sounded vowels and sometimes with some of the unsounded vowels. Ever vowel in Getemuharuto is sounded and so when translated it would be Getemuharuto. The only way you have a leg to stand on is if some or none of the vowels were sounded. They are all sounded so you are wrong.

Actually Wayu is right here to. Katakana is made up of a consonant/vowel pair. So when there are multiple consonants like a word like "strike", in Japanese it becomes ストライク Su-To-Ra-I-Ku. So going in reverse, it's kind of guess work of what word they're trying to copy. Rather than go by the pronunciation, it's better to go by the writing. So "Ghettemhart" is correct from a Japanese to English stand point.

RocSage
Jul 30, 2012, 11:25 PM
Actually Wayu is right here to. Katakana is made up of a consonant/vowel pair. So when there are multiple consonants like a word like "strike", in Japanese it becomes ストライク Su-To-Ra-I-Ku. So going in reverse, it's kind of guess work of what word they're trying to copy. Rather than go by the pronunciation, it's better to go by the writing. So "Ghettemhart" is correct from a Japanese to English stand point.

Sutoraiku
first U is not voiced
Storaiku
O is not voiced
Straiku
Second U is not voiced
Straik
ai = English long? i which in english is created by an unvoiced e at the end of the word
Strike

It makes perfect sense when you listen to how things are voiced and not voiced. If a vowel is voiced it is always in the translated word. I have never seen anything to contradict this and not only is this the case it is also the case that it would be rude to spell it in a way to cause people to pronounce it in an inaccurate way.

I'm sorry if I sound like I am simply refusing what you guys are saying but it sounds to me like you guys aren't listening to the reason I am giving and not paying attention to the voicing which is very important when dealing with this particular topic. I have never seen any other way than what I am saying and all the examples you guys have thus far provided what I am saying it works for. So we can just drop the topic or you can provide me with an example it doesn't work for, but I don't see much use in that ^.^ unless we're just trying to prove me wrong.

Gigawuts. I agree that we should use the pronunciation given by their origin. Unfortunately it's not that simple because accent is part of that and some languages don't make distinctions or they have multiple ways of spelling the same word or multiple pronunciations are slightly different but in another language they hold no differentiation. In the case of Jean/John/Jon. This is the case. I believe, but am not certain Zan would also be a valid translation as the J in english is a Z so we're really morphing that Z to fit our needs as a J when we say it is John. Further it is O in john and jon and the Ea in Jean are the same sound as that particular A. I've already explained why I am arguing to go with John over Jean despite agreeing that it is likely Jean when it is translated. I just don't think we should be arguing over spelling for essentially the same word that we don't know what it is actually going to be but we know what the sound is and how people are treating pronouncing it. It's my opinion that it is more important to get the pronunciation right than the spelling because we can't know the spelling, but we can be reasonably certain with the pronunciation.

If you guys have arguments against this I'm happy to listen consider and change it if it's a good argument, but I'm not just going to accept that "You're wrong, because I say so and I know more about the language being translated from than you" Which is an argument from authority and not very helpful.

For example Wayu says it is Roora, but it can't be Loora or Laura or Lora and to that and with how you guys are arguing I should just accept that, but that is unreasonable. L and R are more or less interchangeable. I looked and looked for a reasoning on why one would choose L or R in whatever circumstance and as far as I can see there is no set rule. She's the more knowledgeable person on the subject. I admit this, but when you say that it is Roora and not Lora I call bs because Roora is Lora save for the letter that can be L or R and Lora is a common first name which is likely to be used for this type of character where as Roora is a rare and unique surname that you more than likely wouldn't use for a side character that isn't all that important. So while it could be either I would bet money that it is Lora or some variation of spelling of Lora and not Roora. I'd go so far as to say it as it is a high likelyhood that is that.

Would anyone like to make a friendly Meseta wager that when the US version comes out the character's name will be some variation of Lora? It's only several months away and i'm sure we'll all remember this then :D

On the other hand this is sorta a waste of time argument as either the English ver or English patch will win out regardless of what we decide...and we already know we disagree with some of their translations so we're going to not be 100% accurate regardless

Wayu
Jul 30, 2012, 11:31 PM

Sorry, this is still wrong. Kion pointed it out, thanks for that.

Wayu. I was trying to be nice last night, and was coming off as saying you're wrong and you don't know what your talking about in my first response so I felt I should bring it up and say that's not what I'm trying to do, but then I woke up this morning, read your post, remembered the previous posts from last. and you know what? I see that you are going out of your way to be insulting. For example I say "to my knowledge the er vowel doesn't exist in japanese" and instead of actually taking my point which is obviously be right at this point you choose to say "your knowledge has proven to be quite limited" which is not only insultingly bitchtastic of you to say it is also ironic considering the place in which you say that is exactly the place where I'm right, my knowledge is greater than yours, and it is indeed your lack of knowledge that lead you to be wrong there.

Considering all of the insults that have been flung about, while I would, and I'm sure everyone would, appreciate translation help I would rather you simply go away, taking your insulting and snobbery with you if you cannot hold a conversation without insulting people. And beyond that perhaps you would take it upon yourself to actually read what is being said and understand the point that is being made rather than ignorantly insulting people and making yourself look foolish by ignoring the points made.

You're basically talking about yourself here. And my jabs at you were a response to your confrontational tone and your stubborn belief that you must be right. Heck, you even recognized that you were confrontational, so I don't see why you're exploding here. I could elaborate further but you're obviously not one to listen to criticism soooo...

And "Jean" is ジャン (Jyan). I'm trying to find a way to emulate the pronunciation into English but it's hard...based on the katakana its definitely NOT John/Jon (ジョン) or even Jean (ジーン). ジャン is closest to Jhan or Jahn I think, just tossed in Jean because that's what my teammates used. Either way its an unusual name.

Edit:

Examples:

Wilhelmina
ウィルヘルミナ (Uiruherumina)

Heathcliff Flowen
ヒースクリフ フロウウェン

-Wayu

gigawuts
Jul 30, 2012, 11:48 PM
One very important lesson I learned when picking up on kana is that the modifying symbols, ° and ", change the consonants (or vowel in the case of ウ) in two specific ways - please correct me if I'm wrong, I only started learning this stuff when the game left beta.

° turns a sound into a popping sound
" turns a sound into a vibrating sound

So with the circle, ha -> pa At the same time though, fu and hu are pretty much the same character, the exact sound can't be written out in romanji, so fu -> pu
With the lines, you get ha -> ba, ka -> ga, ta -> da.

The SH isn't actually an SH we're familiar with in romanji. It's got a bit more breath to it, almost blending with an H.

Now take SH and add some vibrating to it. It's got traces of both Z and J, what makes the difference is the speed you pronounce it.

An interesting character is Tsu. In english, if you slowly pronounce the word "too" you'll notice an ever so slight S sound when you transition between the T and U sounds. That's more pronounced in japanese, as far as I can tell. I had this confirmed when I enabled a katakana IME on my keyboard and found out the small tsu is actually typed as tu.

Chi also doubles as Ti, but the sounds are blended like tsu. (edit: e.g. ticket is チケト)

These are just a few things I've figured out by practicing writing out and pronouncing what I see, I'm sure there's a couple inaccuracies.

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 12:12 AM
Sorry, this is still wrong. Kion pointed it out, thanks for that.

And I responded to that. I'm not going to say I'm wrong when I don't think I am which so far I don't see that i am but since you provided examples we'll see shortly.

And my jabs at you were a response to your confrontational tone

I only had a confrontational tone in my first reply to you. Not in the all the ones after.

and your stubborn belief that you must be right.

You got that backwards. I've maintained I could be wrong, but you aren't providing anything that would make me change my mind and what you have thus far provided continues to support what I think. You on the other hand have pretty much said only that I am wrong and even in the times you said you could be wrong you insulted me, purposefully, so it is not me who "must be right" at least not in the sense that you mean it.

In the way you don't mean it, however, I choose to try to be right and I will not simply believe you are right because you say you are when my knowledge contradicts what you are saying. I don't mean that "I don't know" I mean "What i do know says you are wrong" which means one of us is wrong and when I am dealing with an expert of some type I am inclined to believe I am wrong, but I need an explanation of how you got to that answer that jives with everything else I know. This is how "we" correct ourselves and I wish people would take on this line of thinking more, but meh.

And "Jean" is ジャン (Jyan). I'm trying to find a way to emulate the pronunciation into English but it's hard...based on the katakana its definitely NOT John/Jon (ジョン) or even Jean (ジーン). ジャン is closest to Jhan or Jahn I think, just tossed in Jean because that's what my teammates used. Either way its an unusual name.

You're right according to a brief google search. My bad. I hate japanese transliteration sometimes. It could be the Arabic name Jan, or Hindu Jyan though I've never heard them spoken, given the look of the character that is very realistic possability.

As to the examples...
Wilhelmina
ウィルヘルミナ
(Uiruherumina)
U = W
I = sounded short i
U = unsounded
E = sounded short e
U = unsounded
I = sounded long i
a = sounded a

Using that the name would be...
Wilhelmina, so you failed on that one.

Making me transliterate this next one myself boooo
Heathcliff Flowen
ヒースクリッフ フロウエン
Hi-shucurifu FuroUen
i = sounded long e
u = unsounded
u = unsounded
i = sounded short i
u = unsounded
u = unsounded
o = long o
u = w
e = short e
Hithclif Flowen.

Failed again

What I'm asking for is a name where it is
pronounced in japanese: Baku
Spelled in japanese: バク
and then in English it is pronounced: Baku
but spelled in English: Bak or Bku

If you can find that. I'll agree with you, but unless you show me that I can't agree with you.

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2012, 12:16 AM
http://translate.google.com/#ja/en/%E3%83%92%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA%E3%8 3%83%E3%83%95%E3%80%80%E3%83%95%E3%83%AD%E3%82%A6% E3%82%A8%E3%83%B3

Click the speaker in the text box on the left.

ヒ is Hi, pronounced hee.

The same way シ is Shi, pronounced shee.

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 12:22 AM
Stuffs

Yes, something like that. It follows predictable phonological evolution.
It really isn't all that hard to figure out.
The problem is that they are missing some key consonants and some of the letters are far too similar and the diacritics are often times indistinguishable from each other and sometimes whether they are there or not.

Further problems are on the English side which is amazingly annoying to convert anything from or to due to a whole host of issues that English has for various reasons. a few months ago I was conlanging and was having problems and started trying to use english as a base and nearly went ballistic on people due to trying to get people to understand the sound that i was going for which worked for some people but not for others so then i changed it to what i thought was more accurate only to find that was wrong too, not because I was getting it wrong but because English varies in sound within itself a bunch, and varies within it's evolution with many other languages.

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 12:27 AM
http://translate.google.com/#ja/en/%E3%83%92%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA%E3%8 3%83%E3%83%95%E3%80%80%E3%83%95%E3%83%AD%E3%82%A6% E3%82%A8%E3%83%B3

Click the speaker in the text box on the left.

ヒ is Hi, pronounced hee.

The same way シ is Shi, pronounced shee.

yeah i know.
I got ヒ right so don't know why you mentioned it.

シ is however not shi how it is written I don't think. It some sort of modifier like the diacritics you mentioned. I don't know how it works because i haven't looked much into it and the wikipage doesn't give a practical example.

Kion
Jul 31, 2012, 12:30 AM
I see that my list for the names has been updated. So at least most of the names are agreed upon. This argument is just about Ghettemhart's transliteration?

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2012, 12:38 AM
yeah i know.
I got ヒ right so don't know why you mentioned it.

シ is however not shi how it is written I don't think. It some sort of modifier like the diacritics you mentioned. I don't know how it works because i haven't looked much into it and the wikipage doesn't give a practical example.

I believe you're thinking of ツ, the modifier being ッ. I haven't had it confirmed or denied, but I think it shortens a vowel of the preceding character. I...yeah I don't fucking know. I haven't found a decent explanation of a few things I'm stuck on yet.

You wrote out hithclif so I thought you meant it as in two short I's.

I have to admit, I don't even know exactly what it is you're discussing with Wayu. I know it's about translations, I just have nfi which ones. Lots of words over not many words.

I'd like to try to help, but I can't promise I'll actually be of any help.

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 12:39 AM
Dunno, I think Roc blacklisted me or something.

シ is 'shi' in the most common romaji formatting. That's all there is to it.

-Wayu

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 12:56 AM
I believe you're thinking of ツ, the modifier being ッ. I haven't had it confirmed or denied, but I think it shortens a vowel of the preceding character. I...yeah I don't fucking know. I haven't found a decent explanation of a few things I'm stuck on yet.

You wrote out hithclif so I thought you meant it as in two short I's.

I have to admit, I don't even know exactly what it is you're discussing with Wayu. I know it's about translations, I just have nfi which ones. Lots of words over not many words.

I'd like to try to help, but I can't promise I'll actually be of any help.

I'm talking about ッ which is in the name, Heathcliff Flowen, and not ツ which isn't.

What I'm discussing is Getemuharuto's translation.
There are these things called "Voiced" Vowels and "Unvoiced" Vowels. (Sorry I used sounded :P) The former means that when there is an "U" for example you say "oo" or some sound while unvoiced is if there is a "U" it doesn't make a sound. An example of this in English is "Mike" the "E" is unvoiced while the "I" is voiced.

GeteMuharuto, if you listen to how Shina says his name, all the vowels are voiced
I have never seen a name from japanese translated into english where voiced vowels are not present in the english version.

"Haruto" for example if the vowels, "u" and "o" were unvoiced it would be no question it would be "Hart", but "MuHaruto" in GeteMuharuto has all voiced vowels. This means that "mHart" would not be correct from all my experience, but "Muharuto" would be correct.

Do you understand?

Dunno, I think Roc blacklisted me or something.

シ is 'shi' in the most common romaji formatting. That's all there is to it.

-Wayu

No I didn't. Why would you think that? I didn't respond to your message in my profile cuz i didn't see it and when I did see it i responded here already, so no sense repeating.

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 01:10 AM
You're right according to a brief google search. My bad. I hate japanese transliteration sometimes. It could be the Arabic name Jan, or Hindu Jyan though I've never heard them spoken, given the look of the character that is very realistic possability.

As to the examples...
Wilhelmina
ウィルヘルミナ
(Uiruherumina)
U = W
I = sounded short i
U = unsounded
E = sounded short e
U = unsounded
I = sounded long i
a = sounded a

Making me transliterate this next one myself boooo
Heathcliff Flowen
ヒースクリッフ フロウエン
Hi-shucurifu FuroUen
i = sounded long e
u = unsounded
u = unsounded
i = sounded short i
u = unsounded
u = unsounded
o = long o
u = w
e = short e
Hithclif Flowen.

Failed again

What I'm asking for is a name where it is
pronounced in japanese: Baku
Spelled in japanese: バク
and then in English it is pronounced: Baku
but spelled in English: Bak or Bku

If you can find that. I'll agree with you, but unless you show me that I can't agree with you.

Those are the original Japanese names of those two. Sorry. No clue how to spell Wilhelmina or whatever though TBH.

But:

Wilhelmina

You just proved me right.

Also, your understanding about the Japanese language has flaws. Didn't think I had to say it outright but there. Now I'm gonna call Mike and/or Arika to check this now, if you don't mind having another voice.

Edit: The 'e' was supposed to me small, my mistake, in Flowen. The 'small tsu' was also a mistype there.

-Wayu

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 01:27 AM
Those are the original Japanese names of those two. Sorry. No clue how to spell Wilhelmina or whatever though TBH.

-Wayu

I know those are.
My point is that the voiced vowels are in the english version of the name.
Do you understand what voice and unvoiced is?

I don't mean to be rude, but I keep on trying to get this point across and it seems you aren't getting my meaning. In english we call them "silent" but i don't know if it's explained in japanese language courses. And even though we, in america, go over silent letters i didn't really understand it until i read into stuff about language construction.

What I'm asking for is a word that has a voiced vowel that isn't in both versions of the written/spelled name. As in my example...

Japanese transliteration/pronunciation: Baku
Japanese spelling: バク
English Pronunciation: Baku
English Spelling: Bku or Bak

There is no real word i know of that is like that.

You just proved me right.

Also, your understanding about the Japanese language has flaws. Didn't think I had to say it outright but there. Now I'm gonna call Mike and/or Arika to check this now, if you don't mind having another voice.

Edit: The 'e' was supposed to me small, my mistake, in Flowen. The 'small tsu' was also a mistype there.

-Wayu

No I didn't prove you right... Or at least not what I am talking about. It could be we are talking about 2 different things which I guessed at in the above statements that i responded to before you edited
If you are trying to show my knowledge of japanese is lacking that has never been in question.
If it wasn't then Kion would have less work to do :P

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 01:28 AM
I thought you meant that Japanese had silent U's. Ugh.

Goku. Son Goku.

Well, that was easy.

-Wayu

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 01:34 AM
I thought you meant that Japanese had silent U's. Ugh.

Goku. Son Goku.

Well, that was easy.

-Wayu

You're still not getting it...

Goku

In Japanese both the O and the U are voiced
In English both the O and the U are voiced
In Japanese both the O and U are in the written word
In English both the O and U are in the written word

I don't get what you are trying to show with/without Son. It's his surname which is simply left out because english don't usually include surnames. It is not a translation thing. It is a stylistic thing. Son, if I remember right, since I haven't looked at DB stuff in a while, is included in some of the promotional material.

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 01:46 AM
What I'm asking for is a word that has a voiced vowel that isn't in both versions of the written/spelled name.

Oh, read that wrong.

Lelouch then. ルルーシュ. The "shu" at the end isn't in the English name. Like that?

-Wayu

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2012, 01:53 AM
I've seen that a couple times. Doesn't that merely denote that it's meant to end in a U, which would be silent?

As opposed to ending in ee, which would be voiced under any circumstances.

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 01:56 AM
Oh, read that wrong.

Lelouch then. ルルーシュ. The "shu" at the end isn't in the English name. Like that?

-Wayu

Ruru-shu

I have no idea how Lelouch is gotten out of that. I would translate it to Rurush or Lurush or Lulush. Obviously I'm missing how the "shu" is becoming a "k" consonant, but no. The "u" in shu is silent in japanese and isn't there in english.

That is almost it though. It would work if the "u" in shu wasn't silent in the japanese version.

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 01:57 AM
Also, Abraham (アブラハム or エブラハム).

-Wayu

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 02:05 AM
Also, Abraham (アブラハム or エブラハム).

-Wayu

Nope, still not it

Here's what it appears to me that you are doing...

うずまき ナルト
Uzumak Nart

We know this is wrong.

It should be Uzumaki Naruto, because u and o are both voiced

When I listen to Getemuharuto all vowels are voiced, though I'd be willing to say that the u in mu isn't voiced, but all the others definitely are. so Gettemhart is wrong, while Gettem Haruto or Getemuharuto is likely right.

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 02:18 AM
Then the Abraham example should suffice, as the 'mu' and the end isn't there in the English name (no Abrahamu).

-Wayu

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 02:29 AM
I see that my list for the names has been updated. So at least most of the names are agreed upon. This argument is just about Ghettemhart's transliteration?

In question...

ゲッテムハルト
ジグ (i thought we agreed it was Jigu)
クロト (Kuroto or Clot?)
ジャン (I think we've come to a consensus we were previously wrong and it could be Jyan or Jan)
レダ (noone really cares about his name but it's in contention ^.^)
ウルク (I think it could be Uruk, but I'm ok with Ulc or Ulk)
クラリスクレイス (Noone is really sure)
アンリ (you put Anly. I'm pretty sure it is Anri)
ローラ (I think this is still contentious but we dropped talking about it)
オーザ (You had Ozza, but I put it as Ohza. As reasons mentioned elsewhere)

フィリア (isn't in contention but you mentioned why Philia and not Filia, no real reason other than it looks better.)

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 02:34 AM
Then the Abraham example should suffice, as the 'mu' and the end isn't there in the English name (no Abrahamu).

-Wayu

But you don't pronounce the "U".
If you are pronouncing it then it is the inverse of what we are looking for.
Abraham's origin isn't japanese so if the last "u" is being voiced it is mispronunciation from whatever language of its origin to japanese. We're looking for the reverse ^.^ A japanese name losing a voiced vowel when it is translated to english.

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 02:36 AM
You DO pronounce the "u" in "mu". There's no silents in Japanese.

-Wayu

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2012, 02:38 AM
My impressions have been that even if it's supposedly silent, it's still pronounced - just very briefly or subtly. Like when a sentence ends in desu, half the time you barely notice the U is even there.

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 02:59 AM
You DO pronounce the "u" in "mu". There's no silents in Japanese.

-Wayu

I seriously do not know how to respond that.
Whether you want to call it "silent" or not I don't care as you could think of that in many ways, but the fact is japanese does have voiced and unvoiced vowels demonstrated repeatedly throughout the language. And while I'm willing to admit that I may be wrong in several areas. I have a very high level of certainty that you are wrong here. I don't think you understand what I'm talking about and that is the source of the problem and I have no idea how to get the idea across or that you understand and just reject it. The former is an understanding issue while the latter you are simply flat out wrong about.

I gave you an example several pages ago now of a very common unvoiced vowel. That of u, in Sasuke. Properly pronounced it is "Saske." Note the lack of any "U" sound. Many people in america who don't know any better pronounce this name "Sasooke" voicing the "U".

Your entire argument is that in Getemuharuto the "u" in "mu," "u" in "ru," and "o" in "to" are all unvoiced making it Gettemhart. But you can hear it in the videos that the last two are voiced and the first 1 could go one way or the other. so again, it is Gettem Haruto or Getemuharuto at the very least.

The only way one of the ones I am suggesting isn't the case is if the voice actor is pronouncing it wrong and the voice actor director isn't correcting them. Surely it wouldn't take that much effort to be like "pronounce that word like so" Are you trying to tell me that not only are the director and voice actor incompetent but that in their incompetence they choose the harder version of the word to have to say repeatedly?

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 02:59 AM
Oh, that's a misconception a lot of foreigners get.

The "su" is pronounced, and should be.

Nothing is ever silent in Japanese. Nothing.

-Wayu

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 03:03 AM
I gave you an example several pages ago now of a very common unvoiced vowel. That of u, in Sasuke. Properly pronounced it is "Saske." Note the lack of any "U" sound. Many people in america who don't know any better pronounce this name "Sasooke" voicing the "U".

The "u" in Sasuke is indeed pronounced. Its subtle, yes, but is there. It sounds silent because its glanced over really quickly by people fluent in spoken Japanese.

-Wayu

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 03:24 AM
The "u" in Sasuke is indeed pronounced. Its subtle, yes, but is there. It sounds silent because its glanced over really quickly by people fluent in spoken Japanese.

-Wayu

Your argument now is that there are no unvoiced vowels, which you are wrong about, and it is just based on natives say it fast or whatever you want to call it. The fact is the name is pronounced Haruto, like Naruto with an H, and not as if it were "breezed over" to sound like Harto as it would likely be if they meant it to be like that, so I have no reason to believe it is anything but Haruto other than other people translating it, largely without hearing it.

If you disagree then explain why this Haruto would be spelled Hart in english and yet Naruto would be Naruto and not Nart. It is the same letters. They are pronounced the same way and many people claim that the letters are always pronounced the same even though that is not true, by your own admission, because you just said the "u" is not pronounced the same and breezed over.

So give me a reason why I should believe you that it should be spelled differently than Naruto, even though it is pronounced the same way.

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 03:40 AM
Gettemuharuto is obviously NOT a Japanese name, while Naruto is (its actually a food). Also, Gettemuharuto is spelled in Katakana, used for foreign names/words while Naruto is spelled with Hiragana.

And its fairly snobbish to state that I am wrong immediately in your post. Makes me feel like retaliating but you'll probably whine about that.

And there's still no silent vowels lol...that's just how Japanese is.

-Wayu

Maronji
Jul 31, 2012, 03:58 AM
Well, this is going exactly in the direction I expected it to go. Reminds me of that pre-battle "Horo VS Holo" argument I saw on Fantasy Earth Zero once.

Gettemuharuto is obviously NOT a Japanese name, while Naruto is (its actually a food). Also, Gettemuharuto is spelled in Katakana, used for foreign names/words while Naruto is spelled with Hiragana.

I do believe that this is one of many key elements that we've been jumping over. Thanks for pointing that out, Wayu.

Then again, as interesting as this discussion is... isn't this thread more about the story translation rather than the name translations? I think we drove off into the totally wrong direction here at some point. I'm getting a headache trying to process all this... whatever it is.

Unmei
Jul 31, 2012, 04:02 AM
Your argument now is that there are no unvoiced vowels, which you are wrong about

A quick Google search led me to a website for learning Japanese.

http://www.learnalanguage.com/learn-japanese/japanese-culture/

"Note: There are NO silent vowels. If two vowels occur in a row they are pronounced twice as long, otherwise each vowel is pronounced if one follows another. There are double consonants as well that are pronounced as expected given the above guide."

On the other hand there does appear to be voiceless vowels, though I'm not sure if they pertain to the current argument.

http://www.unc.edu/~jlsmith/ling563/datasets/vowels.pdf

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 04:03 AM
I honestly didn't think I had to point out the katakana/hiragana difference...its one of the fundamental basics of Japanese. >.>;

-Wayu

Cypher_9
Jul 31, 2012, 04:19 AM
Your argument now is that there are no unvoiced vowels, which you are wrong about, and it is just based on natives say it fast or whatever you want to call it. The fact is the name is pronounced Haruto, like Naruto with an H, and not as if it were "breezed over" to sound like Harto as it would likely be if they meant it to be like that, so I have no reason to believe it is anything but Haruto other than other people translating it, largely without hearing it.

If you disagree then explain why this Haruto would be spelled Hart in english and yet Naruto would be Naruto and not Nart. It is the same letters. They are pronounced the same way and many people claim that the letters are always pronounced the same even though that is not true, by your own admission, because you just said the "u" is not pronounced the same and breezed over.

So give me a reason why I should believe you that it should be spelled differently than Naruto, even though it is pronounced the same way.

Uhm, I really don't know why there is even a debate about how something should be pronounced let alone telling a native of their own language that they are incorrect. I would feel one who spoke a language as their first would be the most experienced at it rather than being the one who picks up a book learning it years after.

But, just to bring an understanding, I am sure that everyone knows with languages in general that names in themselves are not fully translated or converted into into said language. Most commonly, if an individual of any country especially Japan pronounces a name that is not of their native tongue, they would/will literally say that name from its origin tongue.

If the name is able to be FULLY translated/transitioned into Japanese, then good for that name but, this doesn't apply to ALL names; their words, pronunciation, and even meaning would get lost in translation. Just like with the Old Testament and other books that were fully in Hebrew, translated by a non-native, they learn what SOME of letters are to have somewhat of an understanding and they try to convert it into their own language which letters/words would not match up and they would pair it with something close but NOT the literal meaning - thus why it is said things get lost in translation.

But yes, uhm... I think this should be dropped... its just going to be a never ending thing just accept/not accept the advice, I mean I did read prior to seeing all this that you were willing to gain the aid from others who can help translate and what not so I don't see where/what the problem is. Just know that someone was trying to be helpful and things just gone a bit off from what this topic is truely suppose to be.

Maronji
Jul 31, 2012, 04:23 AM
I honestly didn't think I had to point out the katakana/hiragana difference...its one of the fundamental basics of Japanese. >.>;

-Wayu

Hell, what little I do Japanese know comes from watching anime and some short bouts of research here and there (no formal learning), and I figured at least as much on my own. On the other hand, I sort of forgot about that particular detail, so... yeah. Definitely good to lay that down on the table.

I was going to add something else, but Cypher_9 voiced my points much better than they were sounding in my head.

Kion
Jul 31, 2012, 04:34 AM
It depends on if your going from Japanese to english. Naruto, Sasuke, Satori. Are all Japanese words and as such their romaji is used.

Foreign names have to be adapted to fit the alphabet. My last name is Collins. In Japanese that's コリンズ. But that doesn't mean I write my name as KoRiNZu in English. Likewise Mathew is written マッシュ in Japanese. Going by the pronunciation that would equate to Masshu. McDonald is マックドナルド in Japanese. The vowels are all very clearly pronounced. The idea is that you take katakana adaption conventions and reverse them.

For ゲッテムハルト. ト on the end is used in katakana when a word ends with 't'. tallent タレント、 baguette バゲット, right ライト.

There is no Japanese equivalent for 'lt', so 'ルト' is used to show the 'l' letter sound. Bolt ボルト, felt フェルト, tilt ティルト, cult カルト.

ム, at the end of the word is often used like ト at the end of a word. System システム, Name ネーム, item アイテム. In the middle of a word ン. Is used, computer コンピュータ, complaint コンプレイント. So in this case it depends if it really cuts there.

So either Gettemhalt or Gettemuhalt. Since it's mimicking a foreign word, I'd say Gettemhalt. And it seems so does Espio as that;s how it's listen in the Wiki http://eng.wikiki-pso2.com/index.php?Wait%20for%20tomorrow

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2012, 04:48 AM

-Wayu

Uh, yeah, I'm self taught off a reference sheet and trial and error.

Mind filling me in?

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 04:50 AM

There we go.

-Wayu

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2012, 05:05 AM
There we go.

-Wayu

Ah, I see. I hadn't realized that was the significance, thanks.

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 05:12 AM

And its fairly snobbish to state that I am wrong immediately in your post. Makes me feel like retaliating but you'll probably whine about that.

And there's still no silent vowels lol...that's just how Japanese is.

-Wayu

I said you are wrong. You are. Saying so is not an insult. What you do is insult. There is literally no consensus about it on anything i can find. Saying "we just breeze passed it" is true to an extent, but not always and the fact that you literally do not make a sound it sometimes and sometimes you do that means any argument saying "it's pronounced the same always" and "there is no silent vowels" or "no unvoiced vowels" is just simply wrong. You can hear it pronounced differently. You are just not calling it that.

Also Naruto is in Katakana, not Hiragana. Uzumaki is.

A quick Google search led me to a website for learning Japanese.

http://www.learnalanguage.com/learn-japanese/japanese-culture/

"Note: There are NO silent vowels. If two vowels occur in a row they are pronounced twice as long, otherwise each vowel is pronounced if one follows another. There are double consonants as well that are pronounced as expected given the above guide."

On the other hand there does appear to be voiceless vowels, though I'm not sure if they pertain to the current argument.

http://www.unc.edu/~jlsmith/ling563/datasets/vowels.pdf

The above answers this to. Do a little bit more looking about. Every other site says the opposite of the last. And like i said above. People don't pronounce it the same and don't voice it and whether it is "proper" or not according to some book doesn't cut it when you can clearly see that it's not true.

Uhm, I really don't know why there is even a debate about how something should be pronounced let alone telling a native of their own language that they are incorrect. I would feel one who spoke a language as their first would be the most experienced at it rather than being the one who picks up a book learning it years after.

I am not telling someone how to pronounce something in their native language. I am telling them they are wrong about how it would be spelled in MINE. We know how it is pronounced and don't need a native speaker for that.

Her, Wayu's and everyone else', argument is literally
You are not hearing what you are hearing and even though that is what the text says and agrees with and I'm saying that everything that you read in the text is pronounced and voiced like it is in what you are hear I'm going to say that you are spelling it wrongly in your native langues because I say so and I'm right because I'm a native speaker of the source of the name that now I'm denying is the source.

Go listen to the fucking videos. It says, as it would be spelled in English, Gettemuharuto. that's not transliterated from the japanese. That is literally what is being said. The reason you drop those extra letters in a translation is because they aren't being verbalized, vocalized, voiced, or any other word you wish to use.

And if it WERE Gettemhart then the speaker would "breeze pass" that "u" in haruto. They don't. They never do. And therefor it shouldn't be written that way. Even if it does end up being Gettemhart in the official translation it is not pronounced that way now and there is no evidence to say that it should be spelled that way.

Also how is Getemuharuto isn't a japanese name? It's a made up name as far as I can tell. Considering the developers are japanese that makes it japanese and the arbiters of how it is pronounced and spelled.

You guys can continue with this, or not, it doesn't matter thought because I'm not going to change it in the first post until you provide an actual reasonable explanation for not putting the "u"s and "o" in the name as they are pronounced as the pronunciation for a name is the most important aspect. I want to be accurate. And I just can't justify saying it is what you guys are saying because you guys aren't providing a legitimate reason.

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 05:25 AM
There is no Japanese equivalent for 'lt', so 'ルト' is used to show the 'l' letter sound. Bolt ボルト, felt フェルト, tilt ティルト, cult カルト.

ム, at the end of the word is often used like ト at the end of a word. System システム, Name ネーム, item アイテム. In the middle of a word ン. Is used, computer コンピュータ, complaint コンプレイント. So in this case it depends if it really cuts there.

So either Gettemhalt or Gettemuhalt. Since it's mimicking a foreign word, I'd say Gettemhalt. And it seems so does Espio as that;s how it's listen in the Wiki http://eng.wikiki-pso2.com/index.php?Wait%20for%20tomorrow

the problem with this explanation is that

Bolt or ボルト has a devoiced "U" Buruto. The second "u" is "breezed by." That breeze by is, if it's voicing the "u" at all, voicing it as a very silent "u" sound closer to something like what English speakers say when they say "uh"
Now if that is what I heard I would agree, it is "lt", but it isn't.
You hear Ha-ROO-toe.
It is very pronounced to me, so much so that it is the stressed syllable in the word.
Again, that stress makes it not fit what you are saying.

I understand what you guys are all saying and I'm saying that regardless of all the rules and such you are coming up with for the spelling, based largely on the the katakana and nothing audible, the pronunciation is king and doesn't match your rules so what you are suggesting is likely wrong or the voice actress is pronouncing it wrong. I choose to side with the voice actress on it.

Kion
Jul 31, 2012, 05:33 AM
What I'm not sure about is why you would accept the adaptation of other characters and yet you're so stubborn about Gettemhalt. By your reasoning then Light should be Raito?

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 05:40 AM
I said you are wrong. You are.

Childish argument, irrevelant.

The above answers this to. Do a little bit more looking about. Every other site says the opposite of the last. And like i said above. People don't pronounce it the same and don't voice it and whether it is "proper" or not according to some book doesn't cut it when you can clearly see that it's not true.

So you're saying that how people say it dictates how it should be? That would make every language impossible due to accents, talking speed, and speech inaccuracies. Ludicrous.

I am not telling someone how to pronounce something in their native language. I am telling them they are wrong about how it would be spelled in MINE. We know how it is pronounced and don't need a native speaker for that.

So Japanese is your language. Okay, sure, send us a picture of the documents of proof and we'll believe you.

Her, Wayu's and everyone else', argument is literally
You are not hearing what you are hearing and even though that is what the text says and agrees with and I'm saying that everything that you read in the text is pronounced and voiced like it is in what you are hear I'm going to say that you are spelling it wrongly in your native langues because I say so and I'm right because I'm a native speaker of the source of the name that now I'm denying is the source.

Completely false. My 1st argument is this: what you hear doesn't dictate what it is, and what you see AND hear doesn't dictate the translation. 2nd argument is lost to you at this point because you're pretty much saying NOPE I HAVE TO BE RIGHT NO WAY I'M NOT.

Go listen to the fucking videos. It says, as it would be spelled in English, Gettemuharuto. that's not transliterated from the japanese. That is literally what is being said. The reason you drop those extra letters in a translation is because they aren't being verbalized, vocalized, voiced, or any other word you wish to use.

And if it WERE Gettemhart then the speaker would "breeze pass" that "u" in haruto. They don't. They never do. And therefor it shouldn't be written that way. Even if it does end up being Gettemhart in the official translation it is not pronounced that way now and there is no evidence to say that it should be spelled that way.

Read above statement about how it sounds and how its written and translation and whatnot.

Also how is Getemuharuto isn't a japanese name? It's a made up name as far as I can tell. Considering the developers are japanese that makes it japanese and the arbiters of how it is pronounced and spelled.

Typical Japanese names are Aki, Haru, Marina, etc. Short, sweet, not looooooooongcat long like Gettemuharuto. Of course no real way to tell but doesn't sound Japanese at all.

You guys can continue with this, or not, it doesn't matter thought because I'm not going to change it in the first post until you provide an actual reasonable explanation for not putting the "u"s and "o" in the name as they are pronounced as the pronunciation for a name is the most important aspect.

This is just saying, "I don't care I can't here you bla bla bla" in a sense. And pronunciation isn't the most important aspect in Japanese, I'm sorry.

I want to be accurate. And I just can't justify saying it is what you guys are saying because you guys aren't providing a legitimate reason.

Well, yeah, plugging your ears and singing in your head will definitely produce accurate results. Seriously, at this point all you're doing is saying LOLNOPE to everything.

I'll be very honest here - you should step down from this argument. You're just digging yourself into a hole here and not stopping.

You're also saying that the text and speech all agree with you - logical fallacy as that's 1) not possible and 2) you provided to logic as to why and thus is a baseless claim. Thirdly, that's not true as you seem to have a misconception about Japanese somewhere that I can't exactly find due to your last-man-standing wild flailing of your Gettemhart/halt argument that's currently based upon bashing OTHER people's arguments and not supporting your own.

-Wayu

Kion
Jul 31, 2012, 05:45 AM

Bolt or ボルト has a devoiced "U" Buruto. The second "u" is "breezed by." That breeze by is, if it's voicing the "u" at all, voicing it as a very silent "u" sound closer to something like what English speakers say when they say "uh"
You hear Ha-ROO-toe.
It is very pronounced to me, so much so that it is the stressed syllable in the word.
Again, that stress makes it not fit what you are saying.

I understand what you guys are all saying and I'm saying that regardless of all the rules and such you are coming up with for the spelling, based largely on the the katakana and nothing audible, the pronunciation is king and doesn't match your rules so what you are suggesting is likely wrong or the voice actress is pronouncing it wrong. I choose to side with the voice actress on it.

It's not about the pronunciation. It's about spelling to katakana. LT translates to ルト in Japanese for foreign words. We've givem you more than enough examples, been more than reasonable, I'm not going to cooperate with you if you keep this bullshit up. If you have no reason to accept my translation of the name, then that means you don't trust my understanding of the language so you can translate the entire story your damn-fucking-self if you think your opinion is more valid that mine.

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 05:47 AM
What I'm not sure about is why you would accept the adaptation of other characters and yet you're so stubborn about Gettemhalt. By your reasoning then Light should be Raito?

No. Light works be applying standard rules.
R = R or L
a+i = i
To = T or To

It could be Light, Right, Lighto, Righto, but the one that makes the most sense as a name and I've seen in the past and it fits with the story is Light so that is most likely what it is.

the Haruto part of Getemuharuto doesn't work because I've heard it said in the game.

You guys are literally telling me that Naruto being translated as Nart or Nalt is a valid and more accurate translation. You would likely argue something like, we know it is Naruto, though, because we have the food and we have the pronunciation in the series and we don't HEAR Nart or Nalt we hear Na-ROO-toe

That's the problem with all of your guys' suggestions for this particular characters. I listen to the video and it says GetemuHa-ROO-toe. If I heard anything like Getemuhart or Getemuhalt I'd say great, let's go with that, but that isn't the case, so I'm not going to say you are right when i can't see how you are possibly right.

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 05:49 AM
Kion, wanna just start a new topic for translations? Most of this stuff is your credit after all, so let's just leave the fool alone.

Also, you're using literally wrong there Roc, and even then it's still wrong. He won't accept any other view except his flawed one, so just leave him be to keep digging his hole.

-Wayu

Kion
Jul 31, 2012, 05:50 AM
You guys are literally telling me that Naruto being translated as Nart or Nalt is a valid and more accurate translation. You would likely argue something like, we know it is Naruto, though, because we have the food and we have the pronunciation in the series and we don't HEAR Nart or Nalt we hear Na-ROO-toe

NO WE'RE NOT
Naruto is a Japanese name and it's fine in that state because it's a FUCKING JAPANESE WORD. Gettemhart is NOT a JAPANESE word. How many times do we have to write this before it sinks in!!!!?

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 05:52 AM
ヴォルデモルト. Voldemort.

If this doesn't provide enough of an example Roc really really needs to relearn all his Japanese.

-Wayu

Kion
Jul 31, 2012, 05:55 AM
Kion, wanna just start a new topic for translations? Most of this stuff is your credit after all, so let's just leave the fool alone.
-Wayu

This bullshit isn't worth it.

Look Roc. Like i said. Going against this on me means that you think you're japanese is better than mine. You can either apologize or no more translations from me AT ALL! Any other reply than "I'm sorry you were right" means NO MORE TRANSLATIONS FOR THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY. (from me)

Maronji
Jul 31, 2012, 05:55 AM
the pronunciation is king and doesn't match your rules

Here's the thing, RocSage. You're no translator (if you were, I'd imagine you'd add your own name to the translator list). You wouldn't need Kion for the translations otherwise. I can't and won't trust your word until you start citing your sources for the rules you're using, because I honestly cannot fathom how you're forming your logic.

Ask any translator for an anime subbing group and see if they side with you, dude. I'd be interested to hear the results.

Also, ボルト is romanized as "boruto". What you have written is "buruto", which would be written as ブルト. If you're going to romanize words to illustrate your "point" (whatever it is), at least do it right or double-check your spelling, man.

Allow me to reiterate one key point: RocSage isn't a Japanese translator. The fact that he's taking a stance on how certain names should be translated is ludicrous and his entire argument employs proof by assertion

In short, RocSage, you're fired. I'm done playing this game with you, and by the looks of it, so is everyone else.

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 05:56 AM
It's funny because he said his Japanese is indeed flawed and not perfect and is "open to corrections".

-Wayu

Cypher_9
Jul 31, 2012, 06:02 AM

So, if this name was made up, by Japanese developers and its syllables being pronounced in literal Japanese characters; then its romanization/romaji should be that just that. I know in English, being the bastard language that it is, is composed of bits and pieces of other languages but, quiet often I see the romanization of a name in Japanese (sounding) when its written out in our text.

Also how is a made up word spelled in English if its made up. How would it be correct in English if the word doesn't even exist. All we are being shown is the romaji and that's it but, out of this I feel the use of a made up word is up to the beholder unless it is told by the developers through the 'translation' coming in the EU/US version. And even then, it would just be a romanized version unless it is a literal name like Johnathan or Maverick.

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 06:04 AM
Cypher, that's slightly confusing.

Tl;dr, romaji isn't English, it's romaji. Correct?

-Wayu

Kion
Jul 31, 2012, 06:09 AM

You hear Ha-ROO-toe.

This obvious proves you have no idea what you are talking about. True in english if you slow it down, the vowel sounds are in there. That's not the issue at all. The issue is that bolt -> ボルト and back to english again means that you write it "BOLT" and NOT "BORUTO".

Cypher_9
Jul 31, 2012, 06:13 AM
Cypher, that's slightly confusing.

Tl;dr, romaji isn't English, it's romaji. Correct?

-Wayu

Yeah, that's where I'm going with it... then again... *gasp* I did say English is composed of other... OH GOD *head explodes*

But, yeah Romaji is Romaji and English is English, Romaji is just showing the kana pronunciation with Roman/Latin letters... which is used in English, the bastard language understood by people like me... :D well some times :x

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 06:35 AM
Childish argument, irrevelant.

Saying you are wrong is not an argument. It is a statement.

So you're saying that how people say it dictates how it should be? That would make every language impossible due to accents, talking speed, and speech inaccuracies. Ludicrous.

Ever heard of the IPA? No. You should go look that up.

So Japanese is your language. Okay, sure, send us a picture of the documents of proof and we'll believe you.

I didn't say Japanese is my native language. I said the language you are translating TO is english and that is my native language. We are discussing spelling in my language. We know what the spelling and pronunciation is in Japanese.

what you hear doesn't dictate what it is, and what you see AND hear doesn't dictate the translation.

That is a rather stupid statement Wayu, and while I am questioning your translation you understanding of what I'm typing right now I am certain that is not what you think. You literally just said Language isn't based on language. Language is sound and symbols for sounds. If it is not based on what one is hearing or what sounds the symbols represent then there is no language at all.

It's not about the pronunciation.
We know what the pronunciation is. We are talking about how to represent what is said phonetically accurate in english. They game says it is not what you are saying it is.

It's about spelling to katakana.

Katakana is representative of phonetic sounds. ie. It's about the sounds or "pronunciations"

LT translates to ルト in Japanese for foreign words.

You've just magically come up with that it is a foreign word.
It's also not pronounced that way again. and I explained to you why it's not.

We've givem you more than enough examples

Actually you haven't. You've given me rules about things that I have logically explained why it doesn't work

, been more than reasonable,

Saying you are right and saying you are an authority so you are right is not reasonable. You have not answered any of what i have argued at all, while I have explained why I don't think you are right.

I'm not going to cooperate with you

Point of fact, I'm cooperating with you. I appreciate your translations, but I am not in a hurry to get the information and I'm patient. Further more, while I can just wait around and wait for someone to come and translate the rest, you will likely not find another person that is willing to go around and record all the videos like I have. And since all those videos are on my youtube account, the text isn't in the client, and I know you don't keep back ups of your translations. I can set you pretty far back and then people would lose out. In short. Don't threaten me especially since...

if you keep this bullshit up.

I am only looking to be accurate and I don't see that you are being accurate here. I accept that other translations are accurate because it is a different situation where you can tell by context whether you are getting right or wrong.

If you have no reason to accept my translation of the name, then that means you don't trust my understanding of the language

I don't trust anyone that thinks that questioning something that has to do with one thing means one should be questioning the rest. Especially with how many variable are involved with something like a name, which you are claiming is translated from one language to another and you are trying to translate to a third.

In that situation Why would you go off anything other than pronunciation when you're dealing with a situation like that? The answer is you wouldn't. You are saying that because the rules for regular words dictate it is a certain way it is that way for this unique class.

As an example of why what you are saying doesn't work
Translate Bluto, from Popeye, to Japanese...
Bluto
ブルト
Now translate back
You would say it is
Bult
This is objectively wrong and you would be getting it wrong because you are only relying on the spelling.

so you can translate the entire story your damn-fucking-self if you think your opinion is more valid that mine.

I don't think my opinion is more valid than yours. Opinions aren't valid in general. I value everyones opinion, but I am trying to be accurate and to me, for names, as i have argued, Pronunciation is far more important than spelling and rules that may not apply to the situation.

if anyone is devaluing the others' opinion it would be you and Wayu who are disregarding my arguments and thinking that you are right even though every reason you have presented I have taken and explained why and where I think it doesn't work.
I have listened to what you are saying and said ok, but this is where I am seeing a problem.

The question I would have is why are you so certain you are right when the pronunciation doesn't match and I can, and have, give you an example where your rules don't work. Is it really such a blow against your ego to admit you're wrong, or don't know. I haven't even heard you argue why you think that it's better to use a spelling that doesn't match the pronunciation when we don't have any clue what SEGA is going to end up spelling it as. In other words, why do you think your spelling that follows the rules and ignores the pronunciation is better than follow what the pronunciation says?

Kion
Jul 31, 2012, 06:41 AM
Fuck you Rock. I gave you a chance and you blew it. I can play the game fine with out having to translate it for everyone.

RocSage
Jul 31, 2012, 06:48 AM
Fuck you Rock. I gave you a chance and you blew it. I can play the game fine with out having to translate it for everyone.

I explain my self.
Wayu insults
Kion threatens
I laugh

Maronji
Jul 31, 2012, 07:06 AM
Wow, is that the way you're going to play, RocSage? Really?

What did I tell you guys before? Proof by assertion. Might've even been some strawman action going on in there, but I personally don't care at this point.

See, Roc, you went about this thread after a point saying that "You're translating the names based off the spelling but if you do that it can only come out like this" when it's really not that black and white. Interpretation plays a large part in translation, and there are many different ways to interpret something. Some aren't any more correct than others and some are just plain wrong, but it's a case-by-case basis. Your interpretations aren't necessarily wrong (yet, as we have no Word of God to go by at this point), but the logic you used to try to disprove others' interpretations is a fallacious mess of "That works out this way every time and is wrong, so therefore I'm right" at best.

The only person who can honestly and truthfully tell a translator that they're wrong is a translator of equivalent ability or better, and I don't believe you have those qualifications.

Anyway, I'm done here. No point wasting any more time with this headache-inducing carnival. Have fun trying to find another translator that won't be graciously offended by your way of thinking/won't laugh at you and say "Nah, I'm good, bro."

Wayu
Jul 31, 2012, 07:12 AM
I insult and act cocky.
Wayu insults
Kion threatens
I counter with logical fallacies and utilize the lolnope denial method

Fixed.

Ever heard of the IPA? No. You should go look that up.

The problem is, we're using Japanese to translate Japanese. Not the IPA.

You literally just said Language isn't based on language.

You used literally wrong again. And literally or figuratively, that was not said. That was in your imagination in laa-laa land.

Katakana is representative of phonetic sounds.

Its not. Katakana is an alternative alphabet used to denote foreign words/names and/or slang and sometimes names. Quoted right from Wikipedia: "In contrast to the hiragana syllabary, which is used for those Japanese language words and grammatical inflections which kanji does not cover, the katakana syllabary is primarily used for transcription of foreign language words into Japanese and the writing of loan words (collectively gairaigo). It is also used for emphasis, to represent onomatopoeia, and to write certain Japanese language words, such as technical and scientific terms, and the names of plants, animals, and minerals. Names of Japanese companies are also often written in katakana rather than the other systems."

Actually you haven't. You've given me rules about things that I have logically explained why it doesn't work

We have and you successfully and skillfully ignored each one or used circular logic to defend yourself which I really haven't bothered pointing out 'till now because you'll just discard it as me insulting you.

Point of fact, I'm cooperating with you. I appreciate your translations, but I am not in a hurry to get the information and I'm patient. Further more, while I can just wait around and wait for someone to come and translate the rest, you will likely not find another person that is willing to go around and record all the videos like I have. And since all those videos are on my youtube account, the text isn't in the client, and I know you don't keep back ups of your translations. I can set you pretty far back and then people would lose out. In short. Don't threaten me especially since...

Blackmail, eh. So mature. Oh, the mods will have a field day with this. Just wait 'till Mike gets on.

I am only looking to be accurate and I don't see that you are being accurate here. I accept that other translations are accurate because it is a different situation where you can tell by context whether you are getting right or wrong.

Sorry but to everyone else you're just trolling. Nothing more.

Translate Bluto, from Popeye, to Japanese...
Bluto
ブルト
Now translate back
You would say it is
Bult

Actually its ブルート.

if anyone is devaluing the others' opinion it would be you and Wayu who are disregarding my arguments and thinking that you are right even though every reason you have presented I have taken and explained why and where I think it doesn't work.

Actually that's you, with your "silent vowels" argument (just ask Mike or anyone else fluent in Japanese).

The question I would have is why are you so certain you are right when the pronunciation doesn't match and I can, and have, give you an example where your rules don't work. Is it really such a blow against your ego to admit you're wrong, or don't know. I haven't even heard you argue why you think that it's better to use a spelling that doesn't match the pronunciation when we don't have any clue what SEGA is going to end up spelling it as. In other words, why do you think your spelling that follows the rules and ignores the pronunciation is better than follow what the pronunciation says?

The ego part, right back at you. As for the other parts, its simply because that's how Japanese works. There really isn't anything else.

And if you haven't noticed, Roc, just about everyone that's read this topic has lost all confidence and respect in you. Your translations are faulty, your arguments are based upon sheer stubbornness, and above all you act cocky, despite asking me not to perceive it that way a while back.

I'm willing to continue this if you'd like, but you're not worth the time if you keep acting like this. Hopefully Mike'll close and/or delete this thread soon. It deserves it. Or rescues it somehow by deleting all posts but the first.

じゃあねぇ。

-わゆ

Mike
Jul 31, 2012, 07:37 AM
Since this thread has disintigrated in to a sting of insults, I'm going to close this.