PDA

View Full Version : Guide Taking Care Of Your Computer!

LaEspada
Jul 27, 2012, 08:16 PM
Taking Care Of Your Computer!

Has this laying around on my desktop for far too long so I thought I would share.

As I am going to state this a couple times, this is more geared towards lower end and older computers.

Hello there I'm going to just be posting here some tips on taking care/optimizing of your computer as well as some good must-have programs for your computer!
It helps get rid of some of your computer lag as well! Optimize your computer!

Step 1

Download a program named CCleaner. Once you finished downloading CCleaner, open it up and you should see a menu with many items to check.
Check all of the items except for "Wipe Free Space". IMPORTANT: DO NOT CHECK "WIPE FREE SPACE", or you're screwed, let's put it that way.
After that, click analyze then run cleaner. Go to Registry then Scan for Issues. Check all the issues and click fix selected issues.
IMPORTANT: REMEMBER TO BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FILES.

However, some people prefer Glary Utilities over CCleaner, but both do a good job in cleaning your computer.

Step 2

UNINSTALL ALL PROGRAMS YOU DON'T USE ANYMORE. If it doesn't allow you to uninstall it, use CCleaner. You can do this by going to control panel>Uninstall a program.

Step 3

This is the more complicated step for those who don't know about computers. Go to start, click run, and type in msconfig. For vista users, go to the search bar and search "run", and type in msconfig.

Now, go to startup. Then untick everything there (execpt any antivirus/antimalware programs that you may have or other things you like to start up). Why? Because start up programs are useless. Why start it up once you run your computer when you can simply open it up after? Plus, it increases your desktop booting performance by 500%. Expect your computer to run quicker.

Step 4

(Any computer that has Vista or a new Operating system already have a built in scheduled defragmentation so skip this step you have vista or newer)

Go to Start>My Computer>Right Click Local Disk C:>Properties>Tools>Defrag Now... Click Analyze then Defragment.

Some people however, don't like to use the normal defragmentation program your computer comes with. If your one of these people I would highly suggest downloading Defraggler by Piriform.
It's a pretty good defragmentation program that is much more quicker than the regular one and in my opinion does a much better job to defragment your computer.

Step 5

DELETE all your useless files and clean your PC from viruses. Disable xfire or any communication system(oovoo, skype, msn). Also, change your in game graphics settings to the lowest(If you are high-tech remove textures carefully).

After Step 5, reboot your computer and expect it to show a significant increase in speed if you've never done these before.
~~~~Steps 1-5 should be done once about every 1-2 weeks, so as not to allow for viruses and malware and to clean out the garbage that finds it's way into your system.~~~~

Step 6

Go to Start>My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Performance>Settings. Choose the Custom option and uncheck every single box except for the last three. Or uncheck those last 3 if you want even more performance at the cost of prettiness :D

Then go that advanced tab and select adjust for the best performance of programs. Not Background services.

Step 7

Download Gamebooster, after you have downloaded it go to the boost options and configure everything that you don't need and hit boost.
Gamebooster works by closing unnecessary processes and services so your game as more free memory to use.

Step 8

When you are in game, go to windows task manager (ctrl+alt+delete for windows users), processes, and end the process explorer.exe. Your icons should be missing but it improves your gameplay. If you want it back, go to task manager>file>new task and type in "explorer.exe" again. After you tried all these steps and you are still lagging, then i really don't know what to say. Either your computer is a dinosaur or you need a new ISP(Internet Service Provider).

Step 9

If You have internet explorer i only have one thing to say. DON'T USE IT!!l XD. I highly suggest you get either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Why? Because you tend to get ALOT more viruses and spyware from internet explorer than any other web browser. Because most viruses and spyware are programmed to work more for interenet explorer than Mozilla or Chrome.

Step 10

This is kinda not as an important step, but is necessary for checking to see if your getting the internet service your provider says they are giving you.
First go to Speedtest.net and test your internet speed. Try using the same place or a major city.
(Example= I live in the United States, so I connect to a server in Washington D.C.) and test your speed. (use either Mbps or kB/s depending on where you live or preference)
MAKE SURE you know before hand you know what you/your parents what internet connection speed you are paying for.
(Example= I pay for 7 Mbps internet speed, and when I test i get about a 6.9 Mbps) Don't be alarmed if your like .1 -.3 Mbps off of what your paying for.
This is normal as a small portion of it gets lost en route to your location anyways.

If you test it and figure out that your getting way below what your paying for. Firstly don't go and call the internet company. First turn off your modem/whatever your connected to and try taking out the Ethernet cord jack from the modem and plug it in the Ethernet cord jack in the wall, and vice versa with the one plugged in the wall. And try the test again. If you still don't get the speed your paying for then call the your ISP

Step 11

This step does not really make you change anything in your computer, but nevertheless is very important to do.
Once in a while you should(HIGHLY STRESS THIS) open up your computer's tower (the thing that you turn on) and spray out the dust inside the tower.
You can buy a can of compressed air at just about any store these days to spray out your computer.
DO NOT BLOW ON IT! this puts moisture, from your breath, onto the hardware that can cause some damage.
The dust in your computer tower can suffocate the hardware, which doesn't allow it to cool down and breathe like it should.
Which can dramatically slow down your computer.

Step 12 (Only applies to Windows Users)

If you have automatic updates enabled on your computer skip this part (which I highly suggest you enable)

The second Tuesday of the month is Microsoft Patch day. Remember to to download the Microsoft updates!
Every easy to do and very simple. Just in case for those people who disable the automatic security updates.

You HAVE TO be using Internet Explorer to get the updates from the Web.

Step 13

Remember to boot your computer into SAFE MODE whenever you are going to do a virus/malware/spyware scan of any kind with any program.
Just a safe tip to do when you're running a virus scan.
To boot into safe mode using Windows. Restart your computer and press F8 when the first logo screen comes up.

Or as an alternative method type "msconfig" in the run in the start button. and Go to the "Boot" tab.
Select "Safe boot" option and restart your computer and it should start up in safe mode.
Type "msconfig" in run again and deselect this option after you're done so you don't boot in safe mode every time you turn on your computer.

List Of Some Must Have Programs

Malwarebytes - Good malware detection program

Spybot Seach & Destroy - Very good program for spyware removal

Microsoft Security Essentials-a antivirus program by Microsoft that is surprising good.

Hope this helps people with dinosaur computers like mine and help you perform even better when playing or doing anything else!
But always remember there are some things even older computers CANNOT RUN, ALWAYS (highly stress this) is to CHECk the system requirements for any game/program you install to MAKE SURE it will function as intended.
And make sure you get the right bit program for some things like ccleaner. ex. 32-bit (Windows XP and below) or 64-bit (Windows 7 and up), I Think, You can google that for more information.

Lumpen Thingy
Jul 27, 2012, 08:26 PM
You forgot to add that to increase overall pc performance you should change your windows theme to windows basic. It saves a ton of ram usage.

LaEspada
Jul 27, 2012, 08:29 PM
That's what the first part of step 7 basically goes over, but it provides more control over the separate aspects of the theme.

Lumpen Thingy
Jul 27, 2012, 08:30 PM
That's what the first part of step 7 basically goes over, but it provides more control over the separate aspects of the theme.ah gotcha well this thread should be great for people newer to pc gaming glad a thread like this is around

sugarFO
Jul 27, 2012, 09:07 PM
Does Game Booster really help? It doesn't burn out your computer or anything? I downloaded it but I don't understand the tweaks, and I'm not understanding if I keep the program on while running the game or not. All the other stuff is great, thanks!

Lumpen Thingy
Jul 27, 2012, 09:10 PM
Does Game Booster really help? It doesn't burn out your computer or anything? I downloaded it but I don't understand the tweaks, and I'm not understanding if I keep the program on while running the game or not. All the other stuff is great, thanks!
it's great for older pcs but for newer systems I wouldn't advise it. What it does is shuts down background programs so you can get the most fps for your game.If you want to test your fps with game booster I would download fraps so you can see it for yourself.

LaEspada
Jul 27, 2012, 10:22 PM
Ya this guide is typically aimed more for older computers. The only thing that more practically apply to newer computers is just the cleaning up as processors are more powerful and such.

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 10:42 PM
It would be nice if you could find someone to replace thermal paste on your GPU and CPU, that can help get the temperatures down tremendously in case dusting out your PC doesn't help and it still gets high temps.

Yunfa
Jul 28, 2012, 12:36 AM
It would be nice if you could find someone to replace thermal paste on your GPU and CPU, that can help get the temperatures down tremendously in case dusting out your PC doesn't help and it still gets high temps.

I actually had to reapply thermal paste in my old HP Desktop (which I thought was the shit back in '07 when i paid $1100 from SAMs club) because i was running into the blue screen of death error. Thermal paste can either be found cheap online OR if you can't wait, head to best buy and pay a premium of 14$.

I can't stand the sight of my old HP desktop, Ive moved away for 6 months and when I saw that thing after going back to my room, i was appalled just by the sight of it. Granted I use 2 25" monitors, the tower is just rubbish compared to my gaming desktop with RAMPAGE EXTREME II, i7 and G.Skill 8 Gigs of RAM.

sugarFO
Jul 28, 2012, 12:37 AM
I actually had to reapply thermal paste in my old HP Desktop (which I thought was the shit back in '07 when i paid $1100 from SAMs club) because i was running into the blue screen of death error. Thermal paste can either be found cheap online OR if you can't wait, head to best buy and pay a premium of 14$.

Can this be done with a laptop?

Yunfa
Jul 28, 2012, 12:44 AM
I have never taken apart a laptop aside from replacing ram (THOSE RAM STICKS ARE FREAKING THIN PIECES OF PLASTIC).

Laptops come in all shape and sizes, I assume they are much more difficult. HOWEVER, since you are thinking of replacing the thermal paste for a laptop, perhaps its time to use a newer one. Laptops get outdated several times faster than Desktop components from my personal experience of shopping for both laptops and towers for the past 4+ years.

Hakeo
Jul 28, 2012, 12:57 AM
You could also reformat your entire laptop/desktop as well if you want a thorough clean. Just make sure you put all files you want to keep in an External HD or something of the sort (Pictures, etc.). Programs that you can reinstall, just let them be deleted and reinstall them once the reformat is finished.

RocSage
Jul 28, 2012, 01:48 AM

The answer is... Technically yes, but it is not really advised, nor do you really want to go through all the trouble of taking apart your laptop just to do that since it was installed by a manufacturer more than likely.

Also I find most of the stuff in that guide pretty useless, especially things like Defragging, which does nothing for just about any system that would run this

setting your textures to low isn't maintaining your system it is only useful for making the game run and if you are doing that you can also lock FPS to 30 which will help with a lot of things.

Clearing temp folder is really only smart if you know what you're doing

Turning off all start up stuff is a good idea, but some things you like to have come on without having to touch anything. You should probably find a list of things that is default on, turn everything else off. Try to figure out what is needed of default stuff for you and then test on/off for other programs you like.

10+ are all useless imo

turning off explorer.exe is ok if you know how to restart it without rebooting so you should practice with it if you are going to do it.

As far as browsers.
IE is the worst overall due to malware and just aesthetics.
Firefox has a lot of great add ons, but has a horrible memory leak problem
Chrome is great for aesthetics, not many add ons, and keeps you pretty safe with hardly any memory issues, but no idea how much data Google is grabbing which Im sure it takes a ton.

If you know the site and don't care about IEs aesthetics it's the best option. If you are browsing Chrome is the best option. Firefox is really only best if you are going somewhere with pop-up problems or if you like add-ons. It's also a bit more customizable, but imo doesn't look as good as chrome.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 28, 2012, 03:41 AM
nice overall information, sadly though the most fps gain you'll see from this is maybe 2 or 3 lol

unless your computer is incredibly not taken care of and you haven't defragged in years, etc.

eharima
Jul 28, 2012, 04:02 AM
HA, sure is 2004 in this guide.

2012 version,
buy an i7
buy more ddr3 ram
buy at least 1 SSd for boot drive
buy SLI 500 series or later GTX cards
Use a x64 windows 7 and common sense 2012.

This method is about a TRILLION times more effective.

LaEspada
Jul 28, 2012, 10:17 AM

Probably, I'm more knowledgeable on the actually usage of a computer, and less on the hardware/physical part of the it. But I'm fairly sure you can and since laptops have a big problem with overheating that most desktops don't have. It might be nice to get the thermal paste renewed

You could also reformat your entire laptop/desktop as well if you want a thorough clean. Just make sure you put all files you want to keep in an External HD or something of the sort (Pictures, etc.). Programs that you can reinstall, just let them be deleted and reinstall them once the reformat is finished.

I would only suggest this if you run into some serious problems and as only a last resort. Such as a major virus/malware attack, constant computer errors, etc. I've only had to reformat my computer once in it's entire lifetime of me owning it. but that's only because I was extremely paranoid of pretty much anything I came across on the web. (I've toned down a bit :D)

nice overall information, sadly though the most fps gain you'll see from this is maybe 2 or 3 lol

unless your computer is incredibly not taken care of and you haven't defragged in years, etc.

As I stated before, it's more geared towards lower end computers.

HA, sure is 2004 in this guide.

2012 version,
buy an i7
buy more ddr3 ram
buy at least 1 SSd for boot drive
buy SLI 500 series or later GTX cards
Use a x64 windows 7 and common sense 2012.

This method is about a TRILLION times more effective.

This is a recession you know, people can't just go out and buy a brand new computer on whim. Then again if you can afford to get rid of your old clunker, I would suggest you do. (I heard some places actually give you a discount on new computers if you recycle your old one to them)

Selphea
Jul 29, 2012, 09:32 AM
Old guide. Afaik Chrome commands the highest % of users on weekends now although IE is still on top of weekdays, so they're both pretty big targets now. IE9 has much better security too, compared to earlier versions. Its main security hole was ActiveX, which I think is either disabled or very restricted by default in IE9. I personally use Safari for Windows though.

Gamebooster is a little extreme for minimal gain too. Windows Vista onwards uses an updated CPU scheduling algorithm, so background apps are already lowered in priority enough that the impact to performance is unnoticeable.

The only thing that really impacts games is Aero, and if you're running anything better than Intel Integrated you should be fine for PSO2. If you -are- running Intel Integrated, you shouldn't be playing PSO2 on that rig in the first place.

And TBH, some of the suggestions there are pretty dangerous, or at least can cause inconveniences. Deleting temp files? Quite a few programs put their caches in there, like browsers. You'll be slowing down your next visit to say, PSOW and end up downloading the files right back. And turning off startup programs? Afaik that kills off your Nvidia/ATI 3D profiles. It also kills off the USB 3.0 controller, so bye bye portable HD/smartphone transfer speeds.

This really isn't a guide I'd recommend to non-technical people, and technical people would probably figure this stuff out themselves already.

IMO, if you're really dying for performance, just dual boot Ubuntu and Windows. Install all your office, IMs etc on Ubuntu and use Windows purely for games. Problem solved.

jOhMG
Jul 29, 2012, 09:43 AM

You can if you feel comfortable opening up your laptop and fiddling with the insides. If you are uncomfortable doing this you can probably take it to a repair shop and ask if they are able to.
No matter what, before you do this I would highly advise that before opening up your laptop won't get rid of any kind of warranties. I know mine had tamper proof stickers over the screws.

Ana-Chan
Jul 29, 2012, 11:51 AM
Some things to point out here. Of course I know that this is aimed at lower end systems, but there are some dangerous things here, and some people may try this when it isn't really needed.

Step 3

This is the more complicated step for those who don't know about computers. Go to start, click run, and type in msconfig. For vista users, go to the search bar and search "run", and type in msconfig.

Now, go to startup. Then untick everything there. Why? Because startup programs are useless. Why start it up once you run your computer when you can simply open it up after? Plus, it increases your desktop booting performance by 500%. Expect your computer to run quicker.

Not everything in here is usless, for example, on my system one of them is the antivrus client executable and another is a utility for my sound card that actually stops any sound on my system if it isn't run or is closed. So in general, be careful with the run list.

Step 4

Go to Start>My Computer>Right Click Local Disk C:>Properties>Tools>Defrag Now... Click Analyze then Defragment.

Some people however, don't like to use the normal defragmentation program your computer comes with. If your one of these people I would highly suggest downloading Defraggler by Piriform.
It's a pretty good defragmentation program that is much more quicker than the regular one and in my opinion does a much better job to defragment your computer.

The Windows defragmenter is scheduled to run weekly on Vista or newer. If you have your system set up to use NTFS (which is forced on Windows Vista+) then the NTFS driver does a good job at keeping files unfragmented too. I personally have never run the defragmenter and all of my drives are at 0% fragmentation.

Step 6

Click start again, click run. Again, for vista users, search run. Now type in "%temp%". This should lead you to your temporary files folder. You need to delete ALL temporary files.

If it tells you another process is using them, don't delete them.

After Step 6, reboot your computer and expect it to show a significant increase in speed if you've never done these before.
~~~~Steps 1-6 should be done once about every 1-2 weeks, so as not to allow for viruses and malware and to clean out the garbage that finds it's way into your system.~~~~

This is actually a problematic step for a few reasons. Subdirectories could be assumed to exist and cause programs to crash. Files could be in the process of switching ownership. The nature of temp is that an application can use it without fear of interference from the end user. So if you do get the urge to clean this out and things go weird, just restart.

Step 7

Go to Start>My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Performance>Settings. Choose the Custom option and uncheck every single box except for the last three. Or uncheck those last 3 if you want even more performance at the cost of prettiness :D

Then go to the Advanced Tab and change your virtual memory. Divide the maximum size by 90%(NOT .9, 90%. Use your built in PC Calculator for help) and round it to the nearest hundred. Your answer will be your Initial Size

For example, my Maximum Size is 4092. When I divide 4092 by 90% I get 3682.8. I then rounded that to 3700. That is now my Initial Size.

First of all, the biggest thing I need to point out here is RAM usage is not always a good indicator of performance. So a system that has more RAM used doesn't necessarily run slower than a system with less RAM used. Of course, use common sense here, if your system has lots of hard disk usage with Aero active but not when Aero isn't, then obviously it is a problem.
Anyway, first, Aero on Vista/7 (especially 7 with the additional stuff added in WDDM 1.1) and DWM actually allows certain shortcuts to be taken at the expense of additional RAM. This does actually result in things running smoother.
This may get a bit technical, so sorry about this. But with DWM active, each window on the system gets drawn offscreen, DWM then takes what is available offscreen, combines it and this is how you get the desktop. Without DWM active, everything draws directly to its own little space on the desktop. So in cases where you cover one window with another and then (maybe you are dragging a window and it covers then uncovers another), without DWM, the window being covered will have to be redrawn, and so the application that controls that window will have to do something (taking up CPU and maybe RAM). On the other hand, with DWM active, this doesn't occur, Windows already has the contents of that window in memory, so as it is uncovered again, Windows just uses what it has already. Finally, this does also work with DirectX games. Space vs time problems are common in computing, and what DWM/Aero does is to increase performance at the expense of memory.
One major issue I have on my system with Aero inactive is tearing with video playback, but that goes away with Aero. So If anything I would suggest that people actually test this out properly on their system.

For virtual memory, never ever touch the page file size unless you really know what you are doing. The default settings actually enable one special trick that you don't get if you manually set the size, and that is Windows resizes the page file on demand. Right now, my system with 4GB of memory has a maximum total pagefile of 8GB, but the pagefile on disk is only at 4GB. So depending on what you do, you may actually use more disk space this way. Whats more, lowering the page file size lowers the commit limit for the system, and this means that you could have programs run out of memory when your system is under stress when this didn't happen before.

Step 9

When you are in game, go to windows task manager (ctrl+alt+delete for windows users), processes, and end the process explorer.exe. Your icons should be missing but it improves your gameplay. If you want it back, go to task manager>file>new task and type in "explorer.exe" again. After you tried all these steps and you are still lagging, then i really don't know what to say. Either your computer is a dinosaur or you need a new ISP(Internet Service Provider).

Killing the shell is always a bad idea. The basic taskbar/start menu doesn't take up much, so if you have closed down all Explorer windows and you still have a problem, then there is something bigger at play on your system.

Step 13 (Only applies to Windows Users)

If you have automatic updates enabled on your computer skip this part (which I highly suggest you do)

Remember that every Tuesday is Microsoft Patch day. Remember to to download the Microsoft updates!
Every easy to do and very simple. Just in case for those people who disable the automatic security updates.

You HAVE TO be using Internet Explorer to get the updates from the Web.

It is actually the second Tuesday of the month, that is when the regular Windows updates are released. Secondly, Vista integrated the Windows Update client into Windows itself, so you don't have to even use a web browser to get them on Vista or newer versions of Windows.

LaEspada
Jul 29, 2012, 12:35 PM
Some things to point out here. Of course I know that this is aimed at lower end systems, but there are some dangerous things here, and some people may try this when it isn't really needed.

Not everything in here is usless, for example, on my system one of them is the antivrus client executable and another is a utility for my sound card that actually stops any sound on my system if it isn't run or is closed. So in general, be careful with the run list.

The Windows defragmenter is scheduled to run weekly on Vista or newer. If you have your system set up to use NTFS (which is forced on Windows Vista+) then the NTFS driver does a good job at keeping files unfragmented too. I personally have never run the defragmenter and all of my drives are at 0% fragmentation.

This is actually a problematic step for a few reasons. Subdirectories could be assumed to exist and cause programs to crash. Files could be in the process of switching ownership. The nature of temp is that an application can use it without fear of interference from the end user. So if you do get the urge to clean this out and things go weird, just restart.

First of all, the biggest thing I need to point out here is RAM usage is not always a good indicator of performance. So a system that has more RAM used doesn't necessarily run slower than a system with less RAM used. Of course, use common sense here, if your system has lots of hard disk usage with Aero active but not when Aero isn't, then obviously it is a problem.
Anyway, first, Aero on Vista/7 (especially 7 with the additional stuff added in WDDM 1.1) and DWM actually allows certain shortcuts to be taken at the expense of additional RAM. This does actually result in things running smoother.
This may get a bit technical, so sorry about this. But with DWM active, each window on the system gets drawn offscreen, DWM then takes what is available offscreen, combines it and this is how you get the desktop. Without DWM active, everything draws directly to its own little space on the desktop. So in cases where you cover one window with another and then (maybe you are dragging a window and it covers then uncovers another), without DWM, the window being covered will have to be redrawn, and so the application that controls that window will have to do something (taking up CPU and maybe RAM). On the other hand, with DWM active, this doesn't occur, Windows already has the contents of that window in memory, so as it is uncovered again, Windows just uses what it has already. Finally, this does also work with DirectX games. Space vs time problems are common in computing, and what DWM/Aero does is to increase performance at the expense of memory.
One major issue I have on my system with Aero inactive is tearing with video playback, but that goes away with Aero. So If anything I would suggest that people actually test this out properly on their system.

For virtual memory, never ever touch the page file size unless you really know what you are doing. The default settings actually enable one special trick that you don't get if you manually set the size, and that is Windows resizes the page file on demand. Right now, my system with 4GB of memory has a maximum total pagefile of 8GB, but the pagefile on disk is only at 4GB. So depending on what you do, you may actually use more disk space this way. Whats more, lowering the page file size lowers the commit limit for the system, and this means that you could have programs run out of memory when your system is under stress when this didn't happen before.

Killing the shell is always a bad idea. The basic taskbar/start menu doesn't take up much, so if you have closed down all Explorer windows and you still have a problem, then there is something bigger at play on your system.

It is actually the second Tuesday of the month, that is when the regular Windows updates are released. Secondly, Vista integrated the Windows Update client into Windows itself, so you don't have to even use a web browser to get them on Vista or newer versions of Windows.

I read over what you said, (with some research myself) and I made some changes to the guide and removed some things. Thanks for the detailed explanation, and not resorting to harsh criticism. I just want to help people with their computers. I also noticed thru some quotes that I overlooked some things like the start up programs. I completely forgot to mention to keep antivirus and things like that on.

Also this guide was originally made like years ago. So some things may be void now. So thanks for pointing those things out.

xhrit
Jul 29, 2012, 06:33 PM

I use blackbox for windows instead of the explorer shell. The desktop is faster, the app menu is more responsive, it uses less resources, and looks way cooler too. It has no support for icons on the desktop, but I hate typical desktop icon clutter anyway...

http://xoblite.net/

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/xhrit/xoblite.png

Ana-Chan
Jul 30, 2012, 07:06 AM
I use blackbox for windows instead of the explorer shell. The desktop is faster, the app menu is more responsive, it uses less resources, and looks way cooler too. It has no support for icons on the desktop, but I hate typical desktop icon clutter anyway...

Yes, without icons and shell extensions resource usage does go down by a surprising amount.
Out of curiosity though, what is the average working set for that shell, I've never really tried it.

LaEspada
Jul 30, 2012, 02:03 PM
As a comment to the 2 above this one.

I actually don't even use explorer.exe at all. I always disable it when i start up, because I have rainmeter and that pretty much has everything i need while in a nice, sleak interface.

Ana-Chan
Jul 30, 2012, 06:48 PM
As a comment to the 2 above this one.

I actually don't even use explorer.exe at all. I always disable it when i start up, because I have rainmeter and that pretty much has everything i need while in a nice, sleak interface.

Out of curiosity, are you going into task manager, ending explorer.exe then starting rainmeter or did you change the shell that Windows starts when you log on? If you haven't done it, I would suggest you actually change it, it is much easier.

TelleT
Jul 31, 2012, 08:17 AM
I just use Advanced System Care with "autocare when idle" enabled, also a "GameBooster" is a feature in that software. I don't use that much thou, because my computer can handle PSO2 with eeze :P

LaEspada
Jul 31, 2012, 10:19 PM
I just use Advanced System Care with "autocare when idle" enabled, also a "GameBooster" is a feature in that software. I don't use that much thou, because my computer can handle PSO2 with eeze :P

If you can get a authentication key for ASC it does a lot better job with deep cleaning and such. but you gotta pay for it or use a thing called Google :D

I actually use that on my younger brother's computer when I have to clean it up for him. A fairly decent cleaning program.

Lostbob117
Aug 2, 2012, 11:01 PM
Game booster does help btw my computer is old with ddr1 ram 1gb it doesn't change anything for me at all. Game Booster is stupid imo.

Also something that bumps up fps that is missing there is going to your graphic card's option you can do this by right clicking your desktop and going to your graphics card control thing, and setting it to performance.

LaEspada
Aug 3, 2012, 02:01 PM
Game booster does help btw my computer is old with ddr1 ram 1gb it doesn't change anything for me at all. Game Booster is stupid imo.

Also something that bumps up fps that is missing there is going to your graphic card's option you can do this by right clicking your desktop and going to your graphics card control thing, and setting it to performance.

Thanks for the info!

Asuni
Aug 3, 2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks for this guide :) It's really helpful.