PDA

View Full Version : Games only runs once

Rallen12
Jul 30, 2012, 08:26 PM
when i install the game it updates and all fine and i can start the game fine but when i close it and if i try to open it again it shows the rectangle saying fantasy star then something about updater but the only thing it does is erase files in the folder and then i cant even click the pso2 exe again and i have to re-install the game each time so i have to wait 2 hourse for it to re-install and patch it each time i want to play -_-"

Ana-Chan
Jul 31, 2012, 05:20 AM
Try setting your system locale to Japanese or using AppLocale.

Rallen12
Aug 1, 2012, 02:40 PM
Nope the problem still persists i try to reopen the game and the updater recangle erases my files

and now cant even run it the first time

this happens : and it repeats the process of my first post only now its right the first time

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i48.tinypic.com/2w598nq.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Ritsuu
Aug 4, 2012, 02:22 PM
I'm getting the same problem, please, someone knows what can we do to run our games normally?
Thanks in advance

Ana-Chan
Aug 4, 2012, 07:46 PM
Well, I think my 4 step plan to try and get things working is as follows.
First, delete the SEGA directory in My Documents. This is where the temporary files for the launcher downloads to. Sometimes it leaves files in here for the launcher and causes problems.
Second, check the PSO2 directory to see if any executables have a lock on their icons. If they do then you need to restore the NTFS permissions. You can do this simply by re-enabling inheritable permissions. To do this, on each executable with a lock on the icon, right click on it, select properties, on the window that appears go to the security tab, click Advanced, (if you are on Vista or newer) click the Change Permissions, and then make sure that the check box at the bottom is checked. Then click the OK buttons on the windows that appeared. This would have restored the executable's default permissions, which enables all users to read and execute, and administrators to write.
Third, try setting as many of the regional settings for Windows to Japanese as possible and then restarting. This also requires that the above two have been done first. While the OP said it didn't help. I made the mistake of not mentioning at what part it changing the locale should be attempted. Basically, trying the modified locale settings on a broken install will not help. So usually cleaning out the SEGA directory in My Documents and making sure that the PSO2 install directory is in good shape and completely accessable is the best way to start. I think it is even SEGAs reccomendation that you start from a fresh install if anything happens. Also, this only needs to happen when you update PSO2, if there is no update available then you can keep things at your native language.
Fourth, try disabling antivirus software. I know this may sound strange, but occasionally, the AV scanning engine may hold a file open for longer than normal. This means that weird stuff may start happening. You don't need to keep it disabled everytime you run the game, only when an update is available.

I know this post hasn't given any sure fire ways of fixing any problems, but I also haven't been able to get the major breakage that has been described in this thread. I normally keep one copy of Windows with formats and the system locale set to Japanese, and one with everything set to English (my native language), and I haven't had any problems. The antivirus I use is MS Security Essentials and I haven't had any problems. So it is hard to try and help others with problems when you can't reproduce it yourself.