PDA

View Full Version : I'm really surprised at PSO2

PepperCat
Aug 22, 2012, 10:25 PM
Surprised because... I actually don't enjoy it.

Now I know I'm probably going to get flamed a lot for this, but I find it slow and boring.

It doesn't feel that much different from PSU, running around maps, finding enemies and item boxes... getting disappointed from what's inside.

Rinse, repeat.

Maybe if the movement in game was faster, dashing barely goes anywhere maybe it should go further? Maybe there needs to be quests like TTF and Endless Nightmare. Or maybe we shouldn't have to pay to have a room? Spitballing ideas for now, help me out?

I'm not trying to be negative, I was expecting to love this game from what I had seen in all of the trailers and videos people were posting. Maybe other games like Vindictus, Demon's/Dark Souls, Batman Arkham Asylum, Dragon's Dogma and other action adventure games are doing it for me now... maybe Phantasy Star seems to be more in the past for me? I honestly can't say.

Where is this lack of enthusiasm is coming from, I don't know. Maybe it'll be more fun when PSO2 is in English and I can understand more of what is going on (yes I did install the English Patch).

To quote Zoidberg, "I think PSO2 is bad, and I should feel bad."

/rant

blace
Aug 22, 2012, 10:26 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling this way towards the game.

IzzyData
Aug 22, 2012, 10:28 PM
There isn't a whole lot to do at the moment, but the game is still in its infancy. I think we should give it more time. As for the core gameplay itself I find it very fun. We just need more content and mini games / goals.

sugarFO
Aug 22, 2012, 10:32 PM
Combat is fun, and being able to use costumes and my rooms is cool. But I agree, right now the game is just boring if you aren't in the mood for farming or w/e.

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 22, 2012, 10:37 PM
Yeah not a whole lot to do right now... Granted, it's still miles ahead of what FFXIV was when that game came out...

MailboxJunkie
Aug 22, 2012, 10:39 PM
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but...slow? It's the fastest Online game I've ever played.
(by the by, dashing is for avoiding attacks seeing as how it gives you invincibility frames, and not so much for running, unless you're a hunter with step attack)
From the emergency codes that spice up what would be otherwise normal maps with random events and bosses, the PSE bursts, the hordes of enemies in hard mode, the enemy weakspots and how jumping actually factors into gameplay instead of being just aesthetics, it brings so much into the game for me personally that I've been at level 40 for weeks and still haven't put it down.

Maybe it's not your style, but I've played all of the games you've mentioned also, even beat Demon and Dark Souls, I still find the gameplay in this enthralling and fast pace to a point where I can't stop playing, the game is still in it's infancy too, mind you.

I guess it's not for everyone, but I've never thought of it as slow OR boring, that's just my personal opinion though :P

EvilMag
Aug 22, 2012, 10:40 PM
My biggest complaint is the level cap trial client order. What the fuck was Sega thinking?

MailboxJunkie
Aug 22, 2012, 10:41 PM
My biggest complaint is the level cap trial client order. What the fuck was Sega thinking?

This.
Dragonkins man....

Garnet_Moon
Aug 22, 2012, 10:41 PM
If you have alot of free time and enjoy doing different things, then this game right now will suck. You'll hit the current level cap in about a week. Soon the cap rises from 40 to... dada~, 50.

There's nothing cool to farm. Abilities to put onto weapons suck and are boring. Nothing has its own inherent abilities, but this may change for 15* weapons. Like a chance to kill with each strike, or a GiFoie spam when you use a PA or something... currently nothing cool. There's not a whole lot of mags to choose from and the photon blasts suck(I loved SUVs in psu more). There's no point in trying to farm armor because you need 9,001 base defense to use a 3* one, let alone a 6*+ one. Screw your mag up? You gotta pay real money to fix it. Screw your talent tree up? You gotta pay real money to fix it. Unlike every other game which uses a stupidly large chunk of in-game money to fix talents, PSO2 charges real money. My Room isn't free. I've gotten a few people to play the game, even offered to help but the 20-30 stretch saw every single one of them say "fuck this game" or something to that effect.

tl;dr
This game sucks. We all know it. Come back in a few months and there should be slightly more to do than now.

Mikura
Aug 22, 2012, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure what your definition of "slow" is, but the gameplay seems pretty fast to me.I used to play FFXI for years and PSO2 makes that game seem like molasses in comparison.

My biggest gripe, like most people, is the lack of content at the moment. Oh, and the affix system with DooDoo can kiss my ass. Otherwise, it seems fine to me and it's a big improvement over PSU in my opinion.

EvilMag
Aug 22, 2012, 10:45 PM
I'm not sure what your definition of "slow" is, but the gameplay seems pretty fast to me.I used to play FFXI for years and PSO2 makes that game seem like molasses in comparison.

My biggest gripe, like most people, is the lack of content at the moment. Oh, and the affix system with DooDoo can kiss my ass. Otherwise, it seems fine to me and it's a big improvement over PSU in my opinion.

Oh yeah and DooDoo can go fuck himself thats another thing I hate about PSO2.

FlameOfYagami
Aug 22, 2012, 10:45 PM
There's many JP players (a ton) and quite a few US/EU player who love and are trully enjoying the game.

All I can say to you is quit don't waste your time with something you don't like and move on. Insted of making a useless thread crying about the game itself ^^:

Chik'Tikka
Aug 22, 2012, 10:46 PM
Would like more content, a translation for all the matter board quests and NPC stuff, and attribute attaching at Du Du's to be less punishing+^_^+

Phantasy XeNo
Aug 22, 2012, 11:03 PM
Be happy you are able to even play. I am having massive complications( mainly due to my ignorance on the aspect of installing/registering a JP game) trying to play! Id kill for an hour of play time! be grateful with what is given to you and if you do not like it do not take it.

ShadowDragon28
Aug 22, 2012, 11:05 PM
*sigh*
http://derpy.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/134533790091.jpg

PepperCat
Aug 22, 2012, 11:07 PM
Oh, I realize its all my opinion guys, I'm not arguing on that front.

I'm not trying to complain, I'm just SURPRISED that I don't enjoy it more.

I've been in love with the Phantasy Star series since PSO on Dreamcast and I've played every iteration of the game since.

It just feels like there's something lacking... its probably just me though. :P

ShadowDragon28
Aug 22, 2012, 11:18 PM
It may be just you PepperCat (and a small few others).

I'm having a fucking blast playing, about 790,000+ players that are playing, seem to be having alot of fun in the game still.

If/when I get a little tired temporarily of playing PSO2, I'll go play some other game, i've got at least 8 other games.

Ezodagrom
Aug 22, 2012, 11:22 PM
Oh, I realize its all my opinion guys, I'm not arguing on that front.

I'm not trying to complain, I'm just SURPRISED that I don't enjoy it more.

I've been in love with the Phantasy Star series since PSO on Dreamcast and I've played every iteration of the game since.

You've started playing recently, right? If you've only tried one class, maybe you should try a different class, since each of them feel different. Maybe the game could be more fun for you with a different class.

NoiseHERO
Aug 22, 2012, 11:24 PM
After capping your whatever character/class, and pretty much being able to buy most of the "rares" you want. The only reason I can still log in is because the combat is fun, and because I like wandering around and annoying people/playing dress-up (nohomo)

There's still a lot to look forward to, but right now I'd still consider this a development phase...

Also don't forget they're having another suggestion/questionnaire thingie or something to get player's opinions on improving/changing/tweaking the game. Even if most of us don't know Japanese...

Also Shadowdraggin' you can only use that reference so many times... YES! PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS! If you don't like their opinions they probably don't like your opinion of your opinion in the form of a demotivational images from some movie that a bunch of people watched.

Triple_S
Aug 22, 2012, 11:27 PM
I love the gameplay, the graphics/art style, the music... but the content pacing is bad. Like, there's plenty of content in the game for how long it's been out, and it gets updated with new stuff often. However, the infamous 20-30 grind exists because you do not gain access to anything new aside from hard mode that entire time.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 22, 2012, 11:34 PM

Oh, no, it's fine. The game doesn't suck right now, it just feels like it shouldn't have been released yet.

And yeah, there's definitely something missing.

....Like a meaningful amount of content, story, areas....

Don't worry, just give it time. The game needs time to grow.

blace
Aug 22, 2012, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't say the game is slow, just at the time of my other post was being typed from a phone and that is a pain to even do.

To add on to that, I dislike certain limitations on non premium users, not talking about trading or myshop, just the storage space seems a bit too small for the amount of junk I come across in a few runs; a single mag for non paying players, I wouldn't have much problem with it, but if I need to change types, I'll be royally screwed over; MPA's being able to hold only 12 players, is my biggest gripe (next to Du Du stealing all of my meseta) as most exploration runs I do, they're filled to the brim with NPC's.

I think the games pace is a bit slow compared to the showcase trailer with everyone free running through the forest. I woudn't mind if we were able to do any of the things shown in that.

NoiseHERO
Aug 22, 2012, 11:37 PM
This is kind of what I was talking about with another friend...

If the US version came out with the same exact amount of content that our current JP version started with. Even with faster updates...

I don't see it taking off so well...

AT ALL.

ShadowDragon28
Aug 23, 2012, 12:17 AM
Rock Eastwood

blah blah blah blah

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/22885909.jpg

NoiseHERO
Aug 23, 2012, 08:57 AM
Rock Eastwood

blah blah blah blah

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/22885909.jpg

ShadowDraggin

blah Ironic repetitive whining blah

gigawuts
Aug 23, 2012, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I'm not liking the levels. They lack the soul and general neat-ness the levels in PSO1 had.

That said, the combat itself is good and fun, so if you run around int he MPA instead of rushing the boss (which isn't very intuitive at first) you get the hours-long feel of the original PSO with bosses showing up randomly in the field every so often. That's what I do. I just don't necessarily do it with 11 other people. Honestly I tend to do it with bots most of the time, most of my friends quit for the reasons you listed and I'm losing interest myself :{

Cyrillic
Aug 23, 2012, 10:27 AM
As far as online games with an active playstyle... Its actually the fastest i've ever played.

Even TERA feels sluggish compared to this... Tera made me feel like i was fighting the aiming mechanics and delay from skills and cooldowns moreso than the monsters. Many times i took a random hit there because I did an attack too soon and eat damage.

PSO 2 is refreshing cause the only bar i have to watch in PP, and being able to cancel into sidesteps/rolls lets me focus more on what im fighting than myself.

Only online game that comes close is Elsword in terms of fast paced fighting.

That said, if there's anything that's gonna hurt this game in NA... its how premium features can't be legitly bought from other players with meseta, a lot of games allow cash items to be bought from paying players, and it helps a lot in keeping free players around. It usually causes the paying players to get rich quicker, but the benefit of allowing free players to be 'sponsored' for paid content is usually the best compromise in the f2p/p2w system as of yet.

gigawuts
Aug 23, 2012, 10:31 AM
Oh god, yes. Premium tickets should be on the market. A lot of games sell gametime in the market, legitimately. It's a legitimized form of RMT and allows players with more time than money, for whatever reason, to get gametime or premium features.

It results in more income for the company as well, as more players have the ability to get their hands on these things. The only difference is who's paying. I pay you pretend money to pay the company real money. It also directly combats gold farming RMT by being a legal, albeit pricey, form of RMT.

I do not expect Sega to implement this, however. They're too old fashioned, I think. A lot of companies consider doing this risky for whatever reason.

RagolianHunter
Aug 23, 2012, 11:18 AM
There's many JP players (a ton) and quite a few US/EU player who love and are trully enjoying the game.

All I can say to you is quit don't waste your time with something you don't like and move on. Insted of making a useless thread crying about the game itself ^^:

PepperCat was not crying. Can you not read man. He is a long standing member of this community and was voicing an opinion.

Why don't you stop posting and go play the game...fools. :-?

WienerWuerstel
Aug 23, 2012, 12:43 PM
I can understand how you fell about PSO2 but you have to look at the bigger Picture. PSO2 is great and fun Game but it's also in an early Open Beta Phase and the Game is only going to get better with the upcoming Updates. My Opinion is that it already got plenty of Content and that the core Gameplay is fun enough for me to be playing it.

So if you don't like it right now, you can try it again in a couple Weeks or Months and see if it became worth playing for you.

PepperCat
Aug 23, 2012, 01:08 PM
Oh god, yes. Premium tickets should be on the market. A lot of games sell gametime in the market, legitimately. It's a legitimized form of RMT and allows players with more time than money, for whatever reason, to get gametime or premium features.

It results in more income for the company as well, as more players have the ability to get their hands on these things. The only difference is who's paying. I pay you pretend money to pay the company real money. It also directly combats gold farming RMT by being a legal, albeit pricey, form of RMT.

I do not expect Sega to implement this, however. They're too old fashioned, I think. A lot of companies consider doing this risky for whatever reason.

What would work better in the NA market, IMO would be a free-to-play model but if people wanted to be charged monthly for premium content they would get access to the My Room feature plus a limited amount of Arks Cash per month. If they wanted more Arks Cash they could always get more.

So FTP for the people that don't want to spend money, PTP for people that want My Room and a shop but CBA to worry about the 90 day BS. Maybe even a third model for people that want to worry about purchasing Arks Cash and using it the way they wanted.

Best of all three worlds, it'd be nice if they implemented this method.

---

spAwn, thanks for sticking up for me mang, I'm playing on Ship 2 tonight!

ShadowDragon28
Aug 23, 2012, 03:39 PM
Rock Eastwood... Cool Story bro.
You should be a stand up comic, because your so hilarious!

Retehi
Aug 23, 2012, 03:47 PM
Rock Eastwood... Cool Story bro.
You should be a stand up comic, because your so hilarious!

You're the one spewing 4chan macros, and shooting down people for their opinion on the game.

ShadowDragon28
Aug 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
Retehi,

Opinions everyone has them, even kids. Yep. I use "4chan macros" as a matter of humorous response to Rock Eastwood's childish flame style comments slandering my handle and making childish remarks about my remarks, so I responded with my own childish responses.

I've never implied or intended to shoot down anyone's opinions. People are free to express their opinion sure, but some express or phrase their *opinion* as if they are "facts" or come off like they're saying their opinion is "the consensus view". It's getting old and I see it on nearly every message board.

In my view the reasoning behind some of statements of opinions are questionable nothing more, nothing less implied.
But I never said or implied people can't have differing opinions, I've never implied or said that others can't or shouldn't post their opinion either. See in my view there are subjective opinions, and sensible, fair, balanced, informed opinions.

I think informed opinions are much more interesting than negative diatribes delivered to the public making broad, blanket proclaimations.

Mystil
Aug 23, 2012, 04:35 PM
This.
Dragonkins man....

I guess no one thought about spamming the first caves mission.

Powder Keg
Aug 25, 2012, 08:06 AM
I've felt the same way Pep...but for me it's probably because of how the last two games were treated and it's now finally taking effect.

I've tried only hunter so far gameplay-wise and I can say I know I will love the battle gameplay. As for the rest, I already feel defeated because I wonder how the game will pan out in the US. I can't make the time to learn and adapt to the overwhelming language barrier for JP to keep me interested.

PepperCat
Aug 25, 2012, 10:59 AM
I've felt the same way Pep...but for me it's probably because of how the last two games were treated and it's now finally taking effect.

I've tried only hunter so far gameplay-wise and I can say I know I will love the battle gameplay. As for the rest, I already feel defeated because I wonder how the game will pan out in the US. I can't make the time to learn and adapt to the overwhelming language barrier for JP to keep me interested.

Playing the game for the past two days and getting into it more, I DO enjoy the combat more now.

Those emergency missions that pop up from time to time are insane, total sensory overload the first couple of times I played them.

The same as you, I really hope that SoA doesn't drop the ball on this one...

FlameOfYagami
Sep 8, 2012, 03:44 AM
Playing the game for the past two days and getting into it more, I DO enjoy the combat more now.

Those emergency missions that pop up from time to time are insane, total sensory overload the first couple of times I played them.

The same as you, I really hope that SoA doesn't drop the ball on this one...

Lmao, after all of their past failures you are still foolish enough to trust SoA?