PDA

View Full Version : Whats happening o.e?

DayDreamer
Sep 3, 2012, 05:56 PM
Im going to keep this as short as possible, I could talk for days about this. This has been worrying me for a few years now.. I have gotten no "correct" answers so Im reaching out to you and just maybe you can bring me some peace and ease my mind at the least..

For awhile now i've been feeling pain, in my chest area. Not muscle pain (although i feel that right now, my arms are sore after the gym ><) its like a sharp pain, which is close enough to my "heart area" to scare the crap out of me. So i went to the doctor, mutliple times mind you. The majority of what they said was it was either due to stress or maybe something to due with my arteries. So i took a stress test which showed that my arteries are perfectly normal and there is nothing wrong with anything else in my body. Ok, I was done worrying, I found my answer now I can relax not to feel it again. Least I wish that was right, I felt it again a month later and from then on its been coming and going whenever it wants to. It pops up to scare the shit out of me and then leaves again.

To top it all off, from the (very) limited information i have about this, the elderly normally have problems like this, not a teenager. Im completly confused and I dont know who to ask or what to do. Im not sure if im making a big deal out of nothing (although i certainly felt something just an hour or two ago, and it hurt pretty bad) or should I be this..paranoid.

Has anyone my age ever experienced something like this?
Or know something about this in general.

To be blunt, im extremely scared. Doctors aren't giving me the right answers clearly.. I just want some advice.

Im sorry if this topic is rather ..unorganized but im kind of just spilling out thoughts from my head onto my keyboard and into here..
I also dont like giving info about my personal life, but I've been here for 2 years going on 3 now and I know there are some nice people here who can give me some advice.

Thanks for reading this, even if you decide not to respond.

gigawuts
Sep 3, 2012, 06:03 PM
Not getting good answers from doctors? Find new doctors. And then more new doctors if they don't help either.

It can take a depressingly long time to find a competent, or coincidentally informed doctor. If you're certain this is real, don't listen when people tell you "oh it's all in your imagination~" I've been told plenty of things were in my imagination that wound up being very real when I found a doctor that wasn't an idiot.

BIG OLAF
Sep 3, 2012, 06:38 PM
Ah, sounds a bit like what I go through on an almost-daily basis. Now, for you, if may be something entirely different. But, for me, it's because of my heavily irregular heartbeat and the complications that arise with the particular kind that I have.

As for the 'elderly/teenager' part, these kinds of things develop early sometimes due to mental/emotional stress and other outside stimuli such as that. I'm 22, but I 'have the heart of a 40-something-year-old', which mostly stemmed from bullying, parent's divorce, etc.

Anyway, I'd start with these simple questions for you: Do you have an irregular heartbeat? Does your heart have (sometimes) painful skips throughout the day? Does your chest feel like it's being crushed (or, like a cramping feeling)? These are the things I have, so I'm just trying to measure if that's what's going on here with you.

DayDreamer
Sep 3, 2012, 06:44 PM
Not getting good answers from doctors? Find new doctors. And then more new doctors if they don't help either.

It can take a depressingly long time to find a competent, or coincidentally informed doctor. If you're certain this is real, don't listen when people tell you "oh it's all in your imagination~" I've been told plenty of things were in my imagination that wound up being very real when I found a doctor that wasn't an idiot.
Thanks, I'll do just that!

Ah, sounds a bit like what I go through on an almost-daily basis. Now, for you, if may be something entirely different. But, for me, it's because of my heavily irregular heartbeat and the complications that arise with the particular kind that I have.

As for the 'elderly/teenager' part, these kinds of things develop early sometimes due to mental/emotional stress and other outside stimuli such as that. I'm 22, but I 'have the heart of a 40-something-year-old', which mostly stemmed from bullying, parent's divorce, etc.

Anyway, I'd start with these simple questions for you: Do you have an irregular heartbeat? Does your heart have (sometimes) painful skips throughout the day? Does your chest feel like it's being crushed (or, like a cramping feeling)? These are the things I have, so I'm just trying to measure if that's what's going on here with you.
I have an innocent heart murmur if that counts. The pain never feels directly at my heart, just near it. My chest never feels cramped or crushed either.
I didnt know stress was such a big deal like this though.. My life isnt easy but its not like "Im gonna rip my hair out" kind of stress. If this is caused by stress, then why didnt it go away? Last time it happened, I was just reading a book and i was completely calm then out of nowhere i feel the sharp pain.

On a side note thank you both so much for helping, it really means a lot to me.
As for anyone else reading this, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Sp-24
Sep 3, 2012, 07:03 PM
I guess seeing another doctor is the best thing you can do. Something like this can be caused by a great number of things - lack of exercise, unhealthy diet (and/or lack of vitamins), improper clothing in cold climates, alien fetus inside of you, stress (both physical and mental) and even imagination, as unlikely as it may sound. Eliminating them all shouldn't hurt, but finding a good doctor is still important, just to make sure it isn't a medical case, which are rather hard to diagnose online by people who don't know shit about medicine. Of course, some doctors may just tell you what you want to hear in order to get money (or to get you to shut up), so don't go nuts chasing imaginary illnesses, either.

Powder Keg
Sep 3, 2012, 08:04 PM
Is it when you inhale? If so I've had that problem every now and then when I was in my late teens/early 20's. I would inhale and I would feel some tightness near the heart. Very rare that it happens now. My doctor said it was fairly common..no clue what the cause is. but as long as it isn't happening like everyday I wouldn't be worried. I'm no doctor, though. This is just my experience.

CelestialBlade
Sep 3, 2012, 08:24 PM
Been having that problem myself for a couple of years now. I'm suspected to have an enlarged heart and legitimately thought I was going to die a couple of years ago, but, a good exercise routine and better dieting have put me in better shape now. I know there's still that chance of a sudden heart attack or something, but I try not to dwell on it.

I can only echo what has been said in this thread--try different doctors until you find one that can give you some kind of diagnosis. And above all, try not to worry. There's no reason any of us can't die in a car wreck tomorrow, so there's no sense in worrying constantly about some chronic condition.

gigawuts
Sep 3, 2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks, I'll do just that!

I have an innocent heart murmur if that counts. The pain never feels directly at my heart, just near it. My chest never feels cramped or crushed either.
I didnt know stress was such a big deal like this though.. My life isnt easy but its not like "Im gonna rip my hair out" kind of stress. If this is caused by stress, then why didnt it go away? Last time it happened, I was just reading a book and i was completely calm then out of nowhere i feel the sharp pain.

On a side note thank you both so much for helping, it really means a lot to me.
As for anyone else reading this, I'd love to hear your feedback.

I'm more than happy to help. Health problems can be the absolute worst. Stay strong brotha.

DayDreamer
Sep 4, 2012, 07:48 AM
Thank you all so much<3
You've given me the little hope I needed to move forward xD

I just started going to the gym so hopefully that helps a bit. I'll try not to worry so much because like most of you said, no point in it. Hell that could be whats the matter, the minds a powerful thing.

Its just nice to know im not the only teen experiencing this stuff. No one else talks about it so I honestly believed i was the only one.

Sayara
Sep 4, 2012, 01:14 PM
what kind of things do you eat when you have these issues?
I've had that happen to me on rare occasions mainly because of what i had ate gave me indigestion and heart burns.

If the pains are frequent with eating certain items, that could also be put to consideration.

CelestialBlade
Sep 4, 2012, 02:35 PM
Thank you all so much<3
You've given me the little hope I needed to move forward xD

I just started going to the gym so hopefully that helps a bit. I'll try not to worry so much because like most of you said, no point in it. Hell that could be whats the matter, the minds a powerful thing.

Its just nice to know im not the only teen experiencing this stuff. No one else talks about it so I honestly believed i was the only one.
Focus on cardio workouts if you can (anything to boost heart muscle and lung capacity), but don't push it. Since you don't know what your condition is yet, if there is one, it's important to try not to strain anything too hard for now. Take it at a good slow pace, but you're doing the right thing. Hope it all works out!

Polly
Sep 4, 2012, 02:50 PM
Curious, are you really tall, have long fingers, or are able to stretch in ways that make people think "Do what now?" A simple test would be using the opposite hand and trying to bend the other thumb back in toward your arm. How far can you do it? Those are indicators of Marfan Syndrome. Simple answer is weak connective tissues in the body, which can affect respiratory and cardiovascular systems.

I seem to have a similar disorder (Marfan is typically found in really tall people, and I'm only 4'11", so what I have is about the same, but different in a lot of ways.)

Some food for thought. I've noticed a lot of doctors either don't look for it, don't know how to diagnose it, or don't recognize it. My current doctor misdiagnosed me as Marfan, but I'm not tall at all.

I'm no expert on the matter (I'm still learning about my variation of the syndrome myself), but it's food for thought anyway.

DayDreamer
Sep 4, 2012, 06:21 PM
Focus on cardio workouts if you can (anything to boost heart muscle and lung capacity), but don't push it. Since you don't know what your condition is yet, if there is one, it's important to try not to strain anything too hard for now. Take it at a good slow pace, but you're doing the right thing. Hope it all works out!
Cardio it is then. I was doing some but can't hurt to do more, not to many though like u said.

Curious, are you really tall, have long fingers, or are able to stretch in ways that make people think "Do what now?" A simple test would be using the opposite hand and trying to bend the other thumb back in toward your arm. How far can you do it? Those are indicators of Marfan Syndrome. Simple answer is weak connective tissues in the body, which can affect respiratory and cardiovascular systems.

I seem to have a similar disorder (Marfan is typically found in really tall people, and I'm only 4'11", so what I have is about the same, but different in a lot of ways.)

Some food for thought. I've noticed a lot of doctors either don't look for it, don't know how to diagnose it, or don't recognize it. My current doctor misdiagnosed me as Marfan, but I'm not tall at all.

I'm no expert on the matter (I'm still learning about my variation of the syndrome myself), but it's food for thought anyway.
Well I'm pretty tall, 5'9 atm. But I tried the simple test you suggested and it doesn't bend. I will keep your advice locked in my head though.
I'm really shocked at how much more .."relaxed" I feel at the momment with all this support. I think a big factor in me worrying was because I had no one to discuss it with and understand what I felt. I had people to talk to don't get me wrong, but it's not the same as someone "who's been there" or "still going through it"

CelestialBlade
Sep 4, 2012, 06:29 PM
Always helps to just lay it out there :) Just don't let it hang over your head.

.Rusty.
Sep 5, 2012, 01:00 PM
I'm really shocked at how much more .."relaxed" I feel at the momment with all this support. I think a big factor in me worrying was because I had no one to discuss it with and understand what I felt"

hmm maybe it's stress related?

gigawuts
Sep 5, 2012, 01:03 PM
Even the smallest amounts of support can make all the difference in the world. Believe me on that.

BIG OLAF
Sep 5, 2012, 01:15 PM
I'm really shocked at how much more .."relaxed" I feel at the momment with all this support. I think a big factor in me worrying was because I had no one to discuss it with and understand what I felt. I had people to talk to don't get me wrong, but it's not the same as someone "who's been there" or "still going through it"

Well, for years, my own mother wouldn't even believe I had a heart problem, even though I've been going through it since 3rd grade. She would always just chalk it up to me being 'lazy' or 'out-of-shape', or something like that. It took multiple heart-monitor tests, scannings, and my doctor prescribing me a 'badge' to hook on my keychain in case anything goes wrong in public (so people can look at it, and see what's wrong, and act accordingly/call 911) for her to finally concede that I have a disorder. I don't know if it was denial due to fear on her part, or what.

As for not letting it bother you, I agree. I mean, realistically (if it turns out you have a chronic issue), it's going to get to you sometimes. I'm 3x more likely to have a fatal heart attack before I'm 40 years old. Not a day goes by where I don't think about that and get the shivers, even if it's just for a fleeting moment. But, dwelling on those kinds of things will drive you mad. So, don't do it. I distract myself with my hobbies and friends.

DayDreamer
Sep 8, 2012, 02:10 PM
I think I finally understand what I have.. it honestly makes perfect sense for once.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001922/

I literately have most of the symptoms and everything, this also explains how i feel it in different places and the panic comes out of nowhere, especially when i think of a past panic attack.
I keep thinking im going to have a H.A so I take pills for it and I feel better. What I think is really happening is i get scared from the thought of it, my heart starts racing, I associate that with a H.A and I take a pill for it (asprin, low dose) and all of a sudden I feel mentally better.
Not to mention the fact that my aunt has a panic disorder, or actually I guess "had" is a better word for it since she got through it with the help of a doctor. Definitely gonna talk to her soon.

Also since the doctors thought it was "Stress" related, things didnt add up. Stress and Anxiety are two different things. I never really felt "stressed" ever so it made no sense to me. I wasnt feeling stress, I was feeling a mental anxiety disorder.
Im drinking tea right now and its shockingly calmed me down alot in combination with the pill, going to the doctors monday to get this sorted out. Its amazing how powerful the mind can be.. for good or bad.

I want to say thanks again to everyone who has posted, you have no idea how much this means to me. Tackling your worst fears, mental or physical, is no easy task. Yet you've given me a little more courage to push forward. Some of you even shared similar personal stories with me, I honestly cant thank you enough. This might seem silly or like some kind of overstatement but I do mean every word I say.