PDA

View Full Version : phrases to help, to inspire, and to make you think.

hbmizzle10
Sep 6, 2012, 04:07 PM
1. if you think less with your head, you think more with your emotions
2. if you don't want something done to you why would you do it to someone else?
3. to all who is inspiring to do some good in the world, if it seems like your actions are never being truly appreciated, they are so don't quit. there's someone who admires what you do
4. doing good for the sake of a reward is just as bad as stealing candy from a baby
5. there is no such thing as a white lie or a black lie. A lie is a lie and that is the truth

i'll post more later don't have the time now

.Rusty.
Sep 6, 2012, 04:17 PM
If we want to defeat to defeat evil, we have to unite against platitudes 8-)

Scrub
Sep 6, 2012, 05:01 PM
We must secure the existence of our people and a future for Americans

Nitro Vordex
Sep 6, 2012, 05:15 PM
I take a look at my enormous penis, and my troubles start melting away.

yoshiblue
Sep 6, 2012, 05:25 PM
I always wanted to see a newmen say this,

-Let us offer prayers to the gods for victory. And then let us arm ourselves to the teeth, just in case the gods aren't listening.

My Grandmother could take on this lot, so we should be fine!

darkante
Sep 7, 2012, 03:22 AM
"Friends are mobile banks"
"If i lose then itīs your fault"
"What am i fighting for?! Uhahghhah!"

TetsuyaHikari
Sep 7, 2012, 06:27 AM
As a follower of Buddhism, I have plenty of phrases I can look up right now to help and inspire me, heh. Actually, I'll post a few of those right now:

1. "Everyone may be a fool but nobody is a fool forever."
2. "Crying with the wise is better than laughing with the fool."
3. "To defeat others is the starting point of hatred and vengeance."
4. "The skilled man does not show off, but the man without knowledge usually show off."
5. "There is no saturating the fire with fuel."
6. "Better is to speak unpleasant truth than to tell lies."

hbmizzle10
Sep 7, 2012, 01:49 PM
As a follower of Buddhism, I have plenty of phrases I can look up right now to help and inspire me, heh. Actually, I'll post a few of those right now:

1. "Everyone may be a fool but nobody is a fool forever."
2. "Crying with the wise is better than laughing with the fool."
3. "To defeat others is the starting point of hatred and vengeance."
4. "The skilled man does not show off, but the man without knowledge usually show off."
5. "There is no saturating the fire with fuel."
6. "Better is to speak unpleasant truth than to tell lies."

wow thats deep. hey question can you tell me a little bit more about buddhism?

TetsuyaHikari
Sep 7, 2012, 02:16 PM
I would never be able to convey enough information to properly explain it, honestly. I suppose on the surface, I could describe the religion to you, but there's no real solid explanation to it. I came to realize this early on.

It always puzzled me how people were able to quickly explain Christianity to me, but when it came to Buddhism, there was no real answer. As I began to study it, I realized the reason it couldn't be explained as easily is because it is quite complicated. Well... it is easy to understand from a logical perspective, but anything beyond that and it becomes complicated, heh.

So, I'm going to do the best thing I know to do. Introduce you to something which changed my life a few months ago. If you are serious about learning more, this would be a good place to start.

Buddha's teachings (http://www.mediafire.com/?yk5w73p0uin3haj)

hbmizzle10
Sep 7, 2012, 02:19 PM
I would never be able to convey enough information to properly explain it, honestly. I suppose on the surface, I could describe the religion to you, but there's no real solid explanation to it. I came to realize this early on.

It always puzzled me how people were able to quickly explain Christianity to me, but when it came to Buddhism, there was no real answer. As I began to study it, I realized the reason it couldn't be explained as easily is because it is quite complicated. Well... it is easy to understand from a logical perspective, but anything beyond that and it becomes complicated, heh.

So, I'm going to do the best thing I know to do. Introduce you to something which changed my life a few months ago. If you are serious about learning more, this would be a good place to start.

Buddha's teachings (http://www.mediafire.com/?yk5w73p0uin3haj)

thank you, thank you very much

Slidikins
Sep 7, 2012, 02:33 PM
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

On the less geeky side:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

BIG OLAF
Sep 7, 2012, 02:53 PM
'In order for the light to shine so brightly, a darkness must be present.' - Sir Francis Bacon

'Those who are determined to be ‘offended’ will discover a provocation somewhere. We cannot possibly adjust enough to please the fanatics, and it is degrading to make the attempt.' -Christopher Hitchens

Sinue_v2
Sep 7, 2012, 05:05 PM

I always liked "Participate joyfully in all of the sorrows of life", myself. A recognition that there is suffering and sorrow in the world, and there's not a damned thing we can do about it but accept it, and not just live with it - but live and find joy in spite of it.

But, I don't believe in Buddhism. Thankfully, they don't hold a monopoly on inspiration, and enlightenment. For instance; in the African philosophy of Ubuntu ("I am who I am because of who we all are", or "The only way to see one's own humanity is to have it reflected back at you through those around you.").

We long to be here for a purpose, even though (despite much self-deception) none is evident. Our time is burdened under the cumulative weight of the debunkings of our conceits. We're Johnny-come-latelys. We live in the cosmic boon-docks. We emerged from microbes and muck. Apes are our cousins. Our thoughts and feelings are not fully under our control. There may be much smarter and very different beings elsewhere, and on top of all this we're making a mess of our planet, and becoming a danger to ourselves. The trap door beneath our feet swings open. We find ourselves in bottomless freefall. We are lost in a great darkness, and with no one to send out a search party. Given so harsh a reality, of course we're tempted to shut our eyes and pretend that we're safe and snug at home. That the fall is only a bad dream.

Once we overcome our fear of being tiny, we find ourselves on the threshold of a vast and awesome universe that utterly dwarfs in time, in space, and in potential - the tidy anthropocentric proscenium of our ancestors. The significance of our lives, and our fragile planet, is then determined by our own wisdom and courage. We are the custodian of life's meaning. We long for a parent to care for us, to forgive us our errors, to save us from our childish mistakes. But knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal. ~ Carl Sagan

(Abridged. Full version in the video.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8P1Y1a7-L4

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his candle at mine, receives light without darkening me. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good. ~ Thomas Paine

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself. ~ Thomas Paine

Which reminds me of:

No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck. ~ Frederick Douglass

Which reminds me of:

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably. ~ Jean-Luc Picard

I have approximate answers and possible beliefs in different degrees of certainty about different things, but I'm not absolutely sure of anything, and of many things I don't know anything about, but I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in the mysterious universe without having any purpose which is the way it really is as far as I can tell possibly. It doesn't frighten me. ~ Richard Feynman

Imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, "This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact, it fits me so staggeringly well, it must have been made to have me in it!" This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise.

I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for. ~ Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWVshkVF0SY

.Rusty.
Sep 7, 2012, 05:55 PM
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

TetsuyaHikari
Sep 7, 2012, 08:55 PM
I always liked "Participate joyfully in all of the sorrows of life", myself. A recognition that there is suffering and sorrow in the world, and there's not a damned thing we can do about it but accept it, and not just live with it - but live and find joy in spite of it.

But, I don't believe in Buddhism. Thankfully, they don't hold a monopoly on inspiration, and enlightenment. For instance;

"We long for a parent to care for us, to forgive us our errors, to save us from our childish mistakes. But knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal."

A Universe Not Made For Us HD: Carl Sagan on religion, geocentrism [Carl Sagan Tribute Series] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8P1Y1a7-L4)

There are many more, and I'd like to quote Thomas Paine as well, but I'm out of time right now. I'll edit later.

Yeah. We can get inspiration from a lot of things, really. Even martial arts can teach us a great deal about life in general (Aikido comes to mind). I'm also pretty sure we can fill up 100+ pages of thoughtful quotes from 'The Art of War' by itself, haha.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 9, 2012, 04:21 AM
"I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders."

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible." Lawrence of Arabia, Seven Pillars of Wisdom, Suppressed introductory chapter, first published 1939, Penguin edition p. 23 Quotes

Tetsaru
Sep 9, 2012, 09:35 AM
"Even the mightiest of oaks was once a nut."

"Better to be pissed off than to be pissed on."

"Sometimes ending is better than mending."

"To err is human, to arr is pirate!"

"Speak softly, and carry a big stick." - Theodore Roosevelt

"Sometimes, a wise man must become drunk in order to be with his fools." - Ernest Hemingway

"There are only two things that are infinite: human stupidity, and the universe... and I'm not so sure about the latter." - Albert Einstein

"Be careful when reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

"Practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect. If you practice something incorrectly, you will perform it incorrectly." - my father, a retired high school band director

"If there was truly a single best place on Earth to live, everyone would want to live there... and then no one would want to live there." - one of my FF14 friends

Bunch of other quotes here (http://www.brainyquote.com/) too. :wacko:

hbmizzle10
Sep 10, 2012, 12:32 PM
"Even the mightiest of oaks was once a nut."

"Better to be pissed off than to be pissed on."

"Sometimes ending is better than mending."

"To err is human, to arr is pirate!"

"Speak softly, and carry a big stick." - Theodore Roosevelt

"Sometimes, a wise man must become drunk in order to be with his fools." - Ernest Hemingway

"There are only two things that are infinite: human stupidity, and the universe... and I'm not so sure about the latter." - Albert Einstein

"Be careful when reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

"Practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect. If you practice something incorrectly, you will perform it incorrectly." - my father, a retired high school band director

"If there was truly a single best place on Earth to live, everyone would want to live there... and then no one would want to live there." - one of my FF14 friends

Bunch of other quotes here (http://www.brainyquote.com/) too. :wacko:

i like this one

Angelic Fae
Sep 10, 2012, 04:21 PM
"Chuck Norris never drives. He simply pulls the destination towards himself"

Oh wait this is the wrong thread isn't it =P

hbmizzle10
Sep 17, 2012, 02:49 PM
"Chuck Norris never drives. He simply pulls the destination towards himself"

Oh wait this is the wrong thread isn't it =P