PDA

View Full Version : a way to prevent freezing and BSOD?

xxInfinitexx
Sep 15, 2012, 10:04 AM
Forget what I said. Just an idiot speaking nonsense.

Rester
Sep 15, 2012, 12:23 PM
Is this legit? Anyone else try it yet?

Niwa_Daisuke
Sep 15, 2012, 02:20 PM
I haven't dared to try it yet, waiting for someone to use it to see if it works. >.>

Shirokami
Sep 15, 2012, 02:24 PM
I read about the program, there's not a single reason of why it would prevent crashes, all that program does is force install drivers which Windows wouldn't normally allow.
Also, the user who posted it is pretty suspicious.

Ana-Chan
Sep 15, 2012, 04:44 PM
That program is to enable test signing mode so that Windows will load drivers that are test signed. There is a way to do that in the operating system itself and that just puts a UI on it. But it is hidden for a reason, and that is end users normally don't have to worry about it.

In this particular case it is simply because a driver can't load on x64 versions of Windows unless it has a digital signature, and the important thing to note is that even without test signing enabled the x64 driver that GG uses loads successfully. This means that the GG driver is digitally signed and enabling test signing will not do anything useful. Whats more, with test signing enabled, systems are significantly more prone to rootkits. So really, don't do this at all.

I have actually managed to get my system into a situation where Windows refused to load the GG driver, and do you know what actually happened? Nothing, the game just shut down cleanly, no fuss. The problems are caused by the things that GG does normally, and only after it has successfully loaded and has the driver in place.

Shirokami
Sep 15, 2012, 04:51 PM
That program is to enable test signing mode so that Windows will load drivers that are test signed. There is a way to do that in the operating system itself and that just puts a UI on it. But it is hidden for a reason, and that is end users normally don't have to worry about it.

In this particular case it is simply because a driver can't load on x64 versions of Windows unless it has a digital signature, and the important thing to note is that even without test signing enabled the x64 driver that GG uses loads successfully. This means that the GG driver is digitally signed and enabling test signing will not do anything useful. Whats more, with test signing enabled, systems are significantly more prone to rootkits. So really, don't do this at all.

I have actually managed to get my system into a situation where Windows refused to load the GG driver, and do you know what actually happened? Nothing, the game just shut down cleanly, no fuss. The problems are caused by the things that GG does normally, and only after it has successfully loaded and has the driver in place.

You're intelligent, if you really are a girl, would you marry me?

xxInfinitexx
Sep 15, 2012, 05:24 PM
Nevermind everyone forget everything I have said... It just randomly started working for no reason. or it was one of the many methods I've tried before doing it. Sorry if I wasted any of your time and have a great day U.U *hangs head in shame*