PDA

View Full Version : Connection between cheaters and bad grammar?

KyuutoHikari
Mar 28, 2003, 04:22 PM
Does anyone believe that there's a definite pattern among those who offer dupes online of not being able to speak correctly, for example, refusing to spell anything right or using things like "ur" and "trd" and never saying please or thank you in any form? Not to say that everyone who uses bad grammar and spelling is a duper, but it seems that many people who try to offer me things in trades offer many uber-rares and don't speak (type, rather...heh) very well, and I haven't really met someone whom I thought was a duper that also spoke well. What do you think?

FreakinRican
Mar 28, 2003, 04:29 PM
No question in my mind. If you sit there and try to give me something saying: "4 u take" I'm going to think something is up.

Balthor
Mar 28, 2003, 04:30 PM
Oh fucking god, here we go again with the grammar police.

Meh, more fuel for me.

Phelan
Mar 28, 2003, 05:01 PM
On 2003-03-28 14:00, Phelan wrote:
Acutally I would take it one step further and say that bad typing style = possible cheater = probably young/ immature. Honestly it doesn't take much more effort to make you statement easily readible than it takes to type poorly. This trend is evident in just about every game out there. Although with every generalization there are exceptions of course.

Oh yeah, this isn't grammer police, no one really cares if you can't write/spell/punctuate well, just as long as it is understandable and doesn't make you seem illiterate.

Balthor
Mar 28, 2003, 05:17 PM
Actully it is, anytime I see someone make a god damn spelling error, sirens wail (people screaming) and then the dick riding starts.

"wheres your capatalization and punctuation??/ (most of the time these people make errors them selves)"

Don't people have anything better to do then worry about other people's typing skills? Yeesh.

Orange_Coconut
Mar 28, 2003, 05:19 PM
Although people may not spell well on the internet... It can't really be compared. I know people who just can't spell. I don't think they have a link between these two subjects... Plus we're not really in English class when playing video games.. I personally hate mispelling words but I know many people who could just care less... *cough* my cousin *cough*... But that's another issue...

Phelan
Mar 28, 2003, 07:05 PM
We aren't talking about poor spellers/ grammar users. Atleast I am not. I am talking about the people who shorten up words to such an extent that no one knows what they mean/ people who use abriviations know one else knows/ those who use hacker speak. I myself am a piss poor speller. I really have no right to bash people who can't spell.

Sashi
Mar 28, 2003, 07:54 PM
And being keyboards have been out since day 1 of US PSO, everyone can type in full sentances, so there really is no excuse...

brillyfresh
Mar 29, 2003, 01:41 AM
well, everyone with a keyboard ....

i take pride in using proper grammar, and if i had a keyboard, i wouldn't be caught dead using "u" or "ur" anymore

Piro-Skies
Mar 29, 2003, 03:34 AM
It's usually immature people who type like that, I've seen it in every game. Though saying that, I know a lot of cool people on the net who don't type amazingly.

And some dupers type in full sentences, it's hard to link the both of them together but I see what your getting at.

-Piro Skies

Aeris651
Mar 29, 2003, 03:40 AM
Well I'm not a duper, I am at times lazy sorry that i'm an idiot and can't spell. =P

Ranger_Larry
Mar 29, 2003, 08:27 AM
That keyboard controller for the GC really stinks. It makes me look real bad at times http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif For instance ' , " and several other keys aren't where they belong!

IceBlink
Mar 29, 2003, 10:27 AM
Example...

"N E 1 GOT POW MAG?"

I had some idiot in my game saying that every 10 seconds... >_<

Captain_Dude
Mar 29, 2003, 12:07 PM
I've met sum cheaters(not on PSO) who've had good grammar and a nice vocabulary...
Then again, things on PSO could be different... Especially with lack of keyboards...

But cheaters(and possibly other ppl) will talk differently because they think it sounds cool... I have a hacker friend who made a language based on binary, and of course few people could understand Kuntar's way of speaking, and he was one of the biggest cheaters on Diablo 2! Oh, and lets not forget how powular the term "1 4m 1337 h4><0r" was... people would spout this all the time... Not often being true, but it was a saying cheaters liked to use... atleast on Diablo 2, and other free online games...

So maybe cheaters do speak differently... It sure would become easy to identify people who're trying to unload a dupe on ya!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Captain_Dude on 2003-03-29 09:07 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Captain_Dude on 2003-03-29 09:10 ]</font>

Ryo_Hayasa
Mar 30, 2003, 12:37 PM
umm i'm a teen but my spelling is just horrid does this make me a dupper or a idiot or both?

and anyways people with Keyboard do type with "urs,u,NE1,lol" i donno why, i think it's just internet talk i have no KB so i type, "u" etc etc because i just don't have time to waste. not to mention after every other sentance i mess up and hit a short cut. ARGH that stupid catch phase comes out a messes up what i was typing to say @_@ so i just forget about it

please don't whine about everyone using bad grammar
i have a great volcabuary (take that!)
it's just i can't spell it o.o;; should i repeat a few grades, sure why not?

not everyones gonna be as smart as you people, it's just not possible.

crips if bad grammar bothers you then go to another lobby o.o;; it's "internet talk" you can't blaim kids for being lazy thats nature at it's best.

and if anyone can tell me:
"how the hell do you read 1337?"
what does 1337 mean?! who created it o.o;;

Moogy
Mar 30, 2003, 03:40 PM
The only thing that annoys me is when people spell "duper" as "dupper". Not because I'm a duper, just for the simple reason that "dupper" sounds really, really bad when said out loud.

Blue147
Mar 30, 2003, 10:36 PM
The keyboard's ' is not in a realy easy to get to area.lol.My grammer is ok not great,it's just I tpye how I talk which brakes almost every rule of grammer.And I can't spell all the words I now -_- .Oh well no big dealers.lol.

So your logic for relating thoes to things is so off base.Their are tones of people who don't use proper grammer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blue147 on 2003-03-30 19:37 ]</font>

Aurra
Apr 1, 2003, 08:21 PM
Lol come on, the ASCII keyboard isn't so bad. Of course now that appostrophie is on the 7 key, I sometimes will accidentally type 7s in my AIM conversations and such http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif But overall I really do like the kb/controller. And take me for instance... I used to be a hacker on V1 (not the mean, lobby-FSODing kind though, basically all I knew how to do with my Gameshark was dupe anyway, lol) and I think I've got a pretty good vocabulary, heh. Also, I don't think that there's a huge correlation between being-a-duper and having poor grammar. I know a few legits who can't type for crap, and a few duping/dupe-using friends who are more articulate than I am.

Zeebo
Apr 1, 2003, 10:19 PM
Balthor_The_Defiled...... God, you always have a comment don't you... Havn't you ever hear of "if you don't have nothing nice to say don't say nothing at all...." I have typos yeah and what.... That's not entirely true. People are lazy and they don't to type in the full word (like me)It's not only cheaters....

RuneLateralus
Apr 1, 2003, 11:05 PM
Zeebo, keep the shots down! Mmmkay?

Right now on PSO, I do not really speak with full sentences...thanks to the lack of keyboard. I do abbreviate at times. It can be easier.

But there is no connection between cheaters and bad grammar. I do know some people who have horrible grammar and are still good people.

Zeebo
Apr 1, 2003, 11:22 PM
Zeebo, keep the shots down! Mmmkay?

Oh yeah but no one says nothing to him when he makes a worser coment on me calling me shitbag and on...

Wewt
Apr 2, 2003, 03:22 AM
On 2003-04-01 20:22, Zeebo wrote:
Oh yeah but no one says nothing to him when he makes a worser coment on me calling me shitbag and on...

Maybe because he didn't in THIS thread? And you go on about him not having nothing nice to say, well guess what, that saying is stupid. Tell it to George Bush, I bet even he could make fun of you. By the way, he was agreeing with you. Just thought I'd let you know, since you have problems reading.

Elusive_Llama
Apr 2, 2003, 10:44 AM
And being keyboards have been out since day 1 of US PSO, everyone can type in full sentances, so there really is no excuse...

I refuse to pay $100+ USD for an import keyboard. If I were to fork out that much money, that keyboard had better do my dishes, walk my dog and throw the trash out.

I'm waiting for my Datel keyboard to ship...can't wait to get it.

Sparkoma
Apr 2, 2003, 11:37 PM
errrr, you people your just making people look dumb who the hell care's i use it's some time's and i'm not a duper and i dont have a keyboard so if your willing to buy me one go and do it. If duper's are putting out the money to buy the usb shit why would they not buy a keyboard too hmmmm..... it's alot harder to type out with no keyboard "ill trade you my dragon slayer +19 for your double saber +1" no they would be like this "my slayer 4 ur dbl saber" much much faster and then the good old they close the trade because it take's a long time to type that when your almost done with what you wanted to say.... now think about that......

DemonQueen
Apr 3, 2003, 04:51 PM
i think the only reason that the grammar police exist is because they think they r smarter then the people who rnt gramaticaly correct and jus kuz u spell like wht eva dont mean ur dumb unless its impossible 2 get ur point accross capeshe?! lol

example which is more intelligent! u decide

Hello, does anyone have a black king bar +80 for trade?

duz any1 po$ess a bkb80 4trd i culd perhapz uze 1

i think #2 is a more intelligent statement even tho it lookz completly wrong lol

sry if i sound like a wak job but i mean intelligent instead of saying losers who no1 can understand lol i live in new york and if u dont talk like that ud get shot lol!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DemonQueen on 2003-04-03 13:55 ]</font>

Sparkoma
Apr 3, 2003, 06:23 PM
lmao!!!!!!!

skillz!!! 100!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sparkoma on 2003-04-03 15:24 ]</font>

Zeebo
Apr 3, 2003, 08:15 PM
Maybe because he didn't in THIS thread? And you go on about him not having nothing nice to say, well guess what, that saying is stupid. Tell it to George Bush, I bet even he could make fun of you. By the way, he was agreeing with you. Just thought I'd let you know, since you have problems reading.

he still could have stated it nicer.... god just because he is a mod he gets away with everything

-Eden-
Apr 3, 2003, 10:13 PM
lmao, this thread is funny... sorry, thats all I have to say. But all too often the software keyboard forces me to use shorter spellings. But still, it doesn't take that long to pay attention to basic grammar rules. The way you speak says something about yourself.

Like if your an ub3|5 1337 h4x0r LOL OMG WTF!!!1!1

I only use 1337 speak because its funny. And its always a good joke in my CET class.... but I often worry for people who use it repeatadly, and outside of the joke usage.

Oh, and I see someone in Vega say NE1 GOT a [Insert stat here] MAG? alot too. Beggars are always funny. It just bothers me that they always speak in CAPS LOCK.

Zeebo
Apr 3, 2003, 11:00 PM
Y/PP3L2Z aka Yuppers

Balthor
Apr 4, 2003, 03:07 AM
On 2003-04-03 17:15, Zeebo wrote:
he still could have stated it nicer.... god just because he is a mod he gets away with everything

I'm a mod now? Joy.

Wewt
Apr 4, 2003, 06:09 AM

I really do hope you're over the age of 8, because my 8-year-old cousin seems to be smarter than you.

RuneLateralus
Apr 4, 2003, 10:08 AM

Exactly what do I get away with? I do not attack people, but if I see some personal shots being thrown around, I have to step in. Guess what? I am a mod and that is what I am supposed to do.

And I already warned you about keeping the personal shots down. Next person to throw a will get a warning and will get this thread locked!

DemonQueen
Apr 4, 2003, 10:57 AM
beggars r like hobos who dont buy food with the cash theyd sell it for other items! beggars r evil!!!!

LilRicaNthuG
Apr 4, 2003, 05:21 PM
yo son i talk slang u got a problem wit me

jus cause i type like dis dont mean im a fukin duper

its ****** like u dat get me pissed off

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2003-04-04 17:17 ]</font>