PDA

View Full Version : Who here can program?

Sephirah
Sep 25, 2012, 12:00 PM
Who knows how to program apps for iOS/Droid? Hit me up in a PM so we can discuss things. :)

NoiseHERO
Sep 25, 2012, 12:11 PM

No! D<

Slidikins
Sep 25, 2012, 12:12 PM
I'm a very competent programmer, which is why they pay me the big bucks... but you're going to have to post something more alluring than that to lure us code monkeys out of hiding. D:

Retehi
Sep 25, 2012, 12:17 PM
What sort of salary (in $, not meseta) do you plan to give this person?

BIG OLAF
Sep 25, 2012, 12:18 PM
I can program microwaves and digital clocks.

Sephirah
Sep 25, 2012, 12:19 PM
What sort of salary (in $, not meseta) do you plan to give this person?

The opportunity to be awesome and loved by millions? :P

Crysteon
Sep 25, 2012, 12:20 PM

Yeah...so valuable here, x:

Crimson Exile
Sep 25, 2012, 12:21 PM
Who knows how to program apps for iOS/Droid? Hit me up in a PM so we can discuss things. :)
Lol I am sure you can find a better forum then this for a question like that :-P

Retehi
Sep 25, 2012, 12:21 PM

I don't think that's a usable currency.

Sephirah
Sep 25, 2012, 12:22 PM
I don't think that's a usable currency.

It will be in the October Update :P

Nuclearranger
Sep 25, 2012, 03:47 PM
I am a software engineer by profession. Can PM me w/e and I can at least chat with you but I would like to mention that development can be a long process so getting me to actually do anything might be hard.

Polly
Sep 25, 2012, 04:07 PM
Sometimes I think (well most of the time I think) that people who just blindly ask for programmers/engineers to put together some work for them don't understand that even an experienced coder has to put a lot of work, thought, and time into the things they do for them to work properly. Then just asking them to do it for no compensation whatsoever, other than others' supposed adoration (Yeah, on an internet that doesn't give a shit about or appreciate anything) is even more absurd.

It's not as easy as opening Notepad and typing "IF THIS THING DOES THIS THING THEN DO THIS THING." Understand exactly what you're asking someone to do in asking them to create some dumb thing (tailored to your tastes more than likely) with skills they could be using to get paid elsewhere.

Ryo
Sep 25, 2012, 04:56 PM
I've written a few iOS apps. I'm interested, but I need to know -what- you expect. I'm an amateur.

DayDreamer
Sep 25, 2012, 09:11 PM
I aspire to be a programer when im older, I tried teaching myself like some people can but i think having a teacher would be abit easier for me.
That said I obviously cant do anything for you right now xD
Best of luck finding someone who can though :>

Nitro Vordex
Sep 25, 2012, 09:22 PM
if-cashmoney
then-app might be made

Chik'Tikka
Sep 25, 2012, 11:34 PM
it'll have to be a lot of meseta, a lot+^_^+ my ADHD brain can only look at code for so long+^_^+ and your gonna have to wait a year or so for me to learn android programming+^_^+ it's sort of new on my campus, on the plus side, i won't have to learn COBOL or RPG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_RPG), heard those were bitch courses, they were discontinued as of this year in favor of mobile app programming and exchange server+^_^+ (linked for those that think i may have meant role play game) +^_^+

gigawuts
Sep 26, 2012, 12:09 AM
I aspire to be a programer when im older, I tried teaching myself like some people can but i think having a teacher would be abit easier for me.
That said I obviously cant do anything for you right now xD
Best of luck finding someone who can though :>

Learning programming is mostly about learning a new way to think, and quite literally learning a new language. It tends to be a personal thing. What works for me might not work for you, etc.

That said, I think the best way to learn is to grab a book and just dig in. Find some source code to dissect and have at it. It's loads of fun, and teaches you to think in new ways (this is where the "language" comes in - it's a whole new way of interfacing with ideas, with new terms, concepts, and approaches, with each programming language approaching things either slightly or even radically different).

Really, have at it! It's a wonderfully useful skill to have, even if you just want to use it to solve simple day to day problems.

CelestialBlade
Sep 26, 2012, 04:43 AM
Visual Basic is a good place to start programming-wise. It's very intuitive and easy to pick up, and it's where I got my start (though I don't exactly program for a living). Programming in Excel is also really easy and will definitely familiarize yourself with IF statements and such, which are the entire basis of ladder-logic domains like PLC logic (which is really fun stuff).

It's definitely like learning a new language, but the advantage is that you can think and reason yourself through it most of the time. Unless you're in Assembly or something :lol:

DayDreamer
Sep 26, 2012, 06:13 AM
Learning programming is mostly about learning a new way to think, and quite literally learning a new language. It tends to be a personal thing. What works for me might not work for you, etc.

That said, I think the best way to learn is to grab a book and just dig in. Find some source code to dissect and have at it. It's loads of fun, and teaches you to think in new ways (this is where the "language" comes in - it's a whole new way of interfacing with ideas, with new terms, concepts, and approaches, with each programming language approaching things either slightly or even radically different).

Really, have at it! It's a wonderfully useful skill to have, even if you just want to use it to solve simple day to day problems.
Thats a good point, its just a matter of finding a good book to do so.
Thanks for the support :3

Visual Basic is a good place to start programming-wise. It's very intuitive and easy to pick up, and it's where I got my start (though I don't exactly program for a living). Programming in Excel is also really easy and will definitely familiarize yourself with IF statements and such, which are the entire basis of ladder-logic domains like PLC logic (which is really fun stuff).

It's definitely like learning a new language, but the advantage is that you can think and reason yourself through it most of the time. Unless you're in Assembly or something :lol:I'll definitely look into that, everyones different but there is a chance it'd help me if it helped you :>

amtalx
Sep 26, 2012, 09:28 AM
Unless you're in Assembly or something :lol:

This is actually the path I took, and one I might recommend if you plan on becoming a serious developer. Assembly is about as arcane and esoteric as it gets, but will give you a good understanding of how to manage memory and how your code is actually being executed. You'll have a leg up on all these new jacks that only understand managed code. The abstraction you get with high level languages is great for lowering the barrier to entry, but also critically damages your understanding of the technical underpinnings.

Slidikins
Sep 26, 2012, 09:50 AM
I aspire to be a programer when im older, I tried teaching myself like some people can but i think having a teacher would be abit easier for me.Why wait until you're older? I started "programming" when I was 8 years old with LOGO. By the time I was 11 I was competent in most languages used on the web at that point (html, java script, php, a bit of css. By 15 I was well versed in object-oriented languages and at 18 I went to school for CompSci.

Gloating aside, if you want to be a programmer just choose a language, find a book, Google up tutorials, jump into it, whatever. It's nothing you can't pick up at any age. Now, I know you said you tried that before and you need a teacher, which is why I suggest tutorials. Web design was a good start for me; I could find webpages I liked, open the source, and figure out how they did what they did. By the time I moved to actual programming I had a good foundation to start learning other concepts.

After you get started in a language, challenge yourself a bit with Google's Code Jam (http://code.google.com/codejam/contests.html) assignments. I'm sure each of them will push you to learn more.

DayDreamer
Sep 26, 2012, 01:35 PM
Why wait until you're older? I started "programming" when I was 8 years old with LOGO. By the time I was 11 I was competent in most languages used on the web at that point (html, java script, php, a bit of css. By 15 I was well versed in object-oriented languages and at 18 I went to school for CompSci.

Gloating aside, if you want to be a programmer just choose a language, find a book, Google up tutorials, jump into it, whatever. It's nothing you can't pick up at any age. Now, I know you said you tried that before and you need a teacher, which is why I suggest tutorials. Web design was a good start for me; I could find webpages I liked, open the source, and figure out how they did what they did. By the time I moved to actual programming I had a good foundation to start learning other concepts.

After you get started in a language, challenge yourself a bit with Google's Code Jam (http://code.google.com/codejam/contests.html) assignments. I'm sure each of them will push you to learn more.
i know its not a matter of doing it, its just a matter of where to start.. but thats the whole issue really. I've tried tutorials (online) and they didnt seem to help much. Im not sure if its just the author of it or what but It didnt "click" with me.

Its one thing to learn how to do something, teaching it is a different story.
I got pretty far in this C++ tutorial (http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/lesson1.html) ..but once I got to "Loops" my mind started asking to many questions. If I dont fully understand something I'll go nuts until I do x- x
Thanks for your support though.. guess i need to keep looking :/
My minds telling me that im just missing this really obvious step to jump into programing, while a part of me knows there isnt one.

Its just rather depressing hearing people younger then me (not that there is anything wrong with that) learning "my dream" while im stuck in a corner trying to figure out where to start.