PDA

View Full Version : "Different strokes for different folks / whatever floats your boat"

Retehi
Sep 26, 2012, 11:57 AM
These seriously have to be the most condescending, passive-agressive, sardonic phrases a person can get away with. What's the point of saying them? It's akin to going "Oh you like that? That's weird and you're a freak, but ok." I don't know why, but they just make me fume when I hear them.

Please buy yourself a piano, lift the lid, and do your best to stick your head beneath the strings, then twist around as much as possible. Thanks.

gigawuts
Sep 26, 2012, 12:19 PM
I think it's more like saying "Oh, you like that? Well I don't get it but I can't objectively tell you it's wrong to like it, I guess we're just a bit different and that's fine."

Retehi
Sep 26, 2012, 12:34 PM
I think it's more like saying "Oh, you like that? Well I don't get it but I can't objectively tell you it's wrong to like it, I guess we're just a bit different and that's fine."

What internet do you come from?

NoiseHERO
Sep 26, 2012, 12:34 PM
Probably supposed to mean what gigawuts is saying.

But the intention someone usually has when they say it probably differs between person/mood.

Which would be hard to tell over the internet, similarly to sarcasm.

gigawuts
Sep 26, 2012, 12:36 PM
What internet do you come from?

An internet where if people are trying to fuck you off they certainly aren't passive aggressive about it like an infant crying for their bottle, they just up and say shit to fuck you off.

NoiseHERO
Sep 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
An internet where if people are trying to fuck you off they certainly aren't passive aggressive about it like an infant crying for their bottle, they just up and say shit to fuck you off.

What is "fuck you off"? D:

and people are passive aggressive all the time in phantasy star world D:

gigawuts
Sep 26, 2012, 12:43 PM
It means "piss you off," except more profane because internet. And people around here might be passive aggressive on occasion, but it's like listening to a three year old whine about not getting candy in the checkout lane. Oh no not the candy, anything but the candy ahahahahahaha.

BIG OLAF
Sep 26, 2012, 01:00 PM
When I use those colloquialisms, or similar ones, I'm usually trying to convey the message:

"I disagree with you, but we won't be able to change each others minds, so I'm going to cut my losses and just leave it be."

However, I find that most times, individuals use it to convey:

"Well, I think know you're wrong, but you're not worth debating with. Have fun stewing in your WRONG OPINION, JACKASS! HAW HAW HAW!"

Nitro Vordex
Sep 26, 2012, 01:01 PM
It's a cop out, it's dismissing and really lame. It's as bad as "BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION". If it's just your opinion, back it up or keep it to yourself. Don't be a lameass and hide behind it, just because "it's your opinion". Sure you have a right to state your opinion, just as you have the right to keep your mouth shut.

CelestialBlade
Sep 26, 2012, 01:15 PM
I'M NOT SAYIN BUT I'M SAYIN

My personal least favorite is "No offense" and all variations thereof. Just don't even bother. Be honest about what you're saying.

gigawuts
Sep 26, 2012, 01:25 PM

My personal least favorite is "No offense" and all variations thereof. Just don't even bother. Be honest about what you're saying.

Now this one can be irritating as hell. People use it to preface something they intend to be offensive 99% of the time. Man up and actually say something if you're going to say it.

NoiseHERO
Sep 26, 2012, 01:27 PM
Says the tsundere! and the robot!

D:

I only use "no offense", when I KNOW a specific person is going to be defensive about what I'm about to say.

Maybe instead I should say "don't get butthurt, but I think X about your Y or What you're Z'ing"

.Rusty.
Sep 26, 2012, 02:55 PM
I always thought those sayings were a way of saying different people like different things. Also sex jokes.

:-?

AC9breaker
Sep 26, 2012, 04:38 PM
These seriously have to be the most condescending, passive-agressive, sardonic phrases a person can get away with. What's the point of saying them? It's akin to going "Oh you like that? That's weird and you're a freak, but ok." I don't know why, but they just make me fume when I hear them.

Please buy yourself a piano, lift the lid, and do your best to stick your head beneath the strings, then twist around as much as possible. Thanks.

Welp, variable forms of friction and rubbing inducing forms of pleasure on a males genitalia, to a level that the individual finds comfortable.

Retehi
Sep 26, 2012, 05:31 PM
Welp, variable forms of friction and rubbing inducing forms of pleasure on a males genitalia, to a level that the individual finds comfortable.

Oh no, I'm fine with that.

AC9breaker
Sep 26, 2012, 09:30 PM
Oh no, I'm fine with that.

sick!

Jakosifer
Sep 27, 2012, 10:53 AM
In a way, this phrase CAN be used in a positive way. Say person A is dissing something that person B likes, and person C interjects with a "Df; Ds, stop hatin" or something.

Next time someone says it in the dismissive way though, ball bust pawnch

Retehi
Sep 27, 2012, 11:35 AM
Next time someone says it in the dismissive way though, ball bust pawnch

I like the way you think.

Blitzkommando
Sep 27, 2012, 08:18 PM
No offence but, when it comes to topics like this, if you like to make them that's fine, whatever floats your boat. :)

I find that some of the most condescending individuals tend to close their insults with cutesy little images or emoticons in order to appear to be kind, diplomatic, and polite. I've always seen it as a passive aggressive move like smirking at a person while using round-about insults towards them as if doing so means you won't hit them for being a dick. They then become upset and self-righteous when called out for it. Or outright tantrum when hit.

dias_flac_0g
Oct 7, 2012, 05:51 AM

Oh man you'll love me then ^-^

I'm easily and by far the most honest person on this site ^^

It's just a shame that most people here get butthurt really fast and can't take my honesty very well ^^; I think you've seen that in the past ^^

I love speaking my mind, It's awesome. Sometimes I get modded (but its all good).

In real life speaking my mind and being honest is even better! Unlike here, IRL there's no such thing as mods or anything of the sort. People have two options, either you shut up and take my "honesty" while you stay angry in the inside or you can speak your mind and prepare for the consequences ^^;

I love the feeling when you are so opressive to someone that the only thing they can do is "take it" because they are too coward to trully say what's on their mind :D

Cocona, are you the same way? Can you speak your mind freely and be honest without fear?

Like me? :)

.Rusty.
Oct 7, 2012, 06:18 AM
Well thats probably the 1st time I've heard honesty used a dog whistle for bigotry :/

Sienna
Oct 11, 2012, 09:57 PM
Slightly better than responding with, "I see" or "Okay"