PDA

View Full Version : Leveling

XoPachi
Sep 26, 2012, 02:04 PM
Seriously, how can I level up quicker? I've been playing for about a total of 10 hours and I'm only Hunter 5/Ranger 3. I'm getting real sick of doing the same quest over and over. That's my only issue. I don't care that I'm low level, I'm just tired of the same freaking environment. I wouldn't care if there was more I could have fun with, but I only have 3 quests I can do. Enemies don't give any good EXP either, not that quests give you any either from what I saw.

I remember leveling pretty quickly in PSU. I don't know if that's a good comparison. I didn't like PSO1 enough to play it for long and notice. So I wouldn't know if it's a trend.
Am I doing something wrong? I switched to Ranger class desperate for some variety, but it's not making things any faster.

Sad to say, but if this keeps up, I'll be under the impression that I really overhyped the game for myself. I understand it's free, but still... :I

Eternal255
Sep 26, 2012, 02:10 PM
Do client orders and stick to one class. The first class you level takes the longest. Soon as you get one to level 40 and have all the areas unlocked you have more freedom.

draftwood
Sep 26, 2012, 02:15 PM
Do as many quests u can, what also helps is if u unlock free exploration for forest, and later on volcano etc etc, and while doing that you just run back and forth trough the maps and some mission codes will randomly happen, wich gives u some exp and maybe some good drops.

I think I will generalize here a bit and say most asian games (not all) are based on grinding, wich means you will do repetative things over and over to lv, get gear and so on. We in the west tends to have mmos that are not as "grindy".

When PSO2 officially comes to the western market, it probably wont be so grindy.

Hope this helps a bit!

Zorafim
Sep 26, 2012, 02:20 PM
10 hours? Are you walking from enemy to enemy?

As you go through the game, just work on little goals. First of all, talk to Hans and, uh, that rude chick opposite of Hans. They have daily client orders that you can do for great exp. Pick up any other client orders you can, and prioritize the ones that can't be repeated (They give better exp). Do Matter Boards, too. They're easy at first, and give great items. Plus, those little rewards make leveling more enjoyable.

Seriously, ten hours?

XoPachi
Sep 26, 2012, 02:34 PM
Client orders, Hans, rude chick opposite of Hans, and the "walking from enemy to enemy" retort.

No, I have not been doing any of these. I didn't know about these three things. I never saw anyone named Hans, where to get orders, or any rude girl. Everyone I talk to just says hi, sells items, is the quest broker.
Directions?

And yes...SERIOUSLY 10 hours. Wouldn't be asking for help if I didn't think I was doing something wrong which I guess I am. No need to rub it in.

Daemyn
Sep 26, 2012, 02:54 PM
Client orders ... every last client order you can get your hands on even Michella's -I hope I spelled that right-

also getting good friendship with the story ai partners can yeild a few more client orders.

then there are emergency missions even doing them under leveled is worth it because of the emergency quest exp and loot

over 5+ re rolls and an alt I've found some weird somewhat desperate ways to level faster x_x

XoPachi
Sep 26, 2012, 02:56 PM
Client orders ... every last client order you can get your hands on even Michella's -I hope I spelled that right-

also getting good friendship with the story ai partners can yeild a few more client orders.

then there are emergency missions even doing them under leveled is worth it because of the emergency quest exp and loot

Ok, I seriously don't even know where to get client orders or who Michella is. Also, I can't choose above level quests so this current Em. Quest is out of the question.

blace
Sep 26, 2012, 02:58 PM
Just talk to NPC's that have a blue chat bubble bobbing their head and accept them as they usually tie in with what you're currently doing.

Zorafim
Sep 26, 2012, 03:36 PM
Sorry, sorry, didn't mean to insult you. It's just a bit tough to wrap my head around. Um, let me see if I can help with the whole client order thing.

If people have a blue bubble thingy above their head, they're offering you an order. That order usually involves you killing some enemies, or beating a quest with some requirement, or something simple like that.

http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Ship-Layout1-450x450.jpg (http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-open-beta-client-orders/)

That picture is a map of the city, along with all the client order giving NPCs in it. That link tells you how to complete every quest, sorted by order of NPC and quest. If your game is untranslated, you'll have to find the name of the order in game and on the page, and find out which is which. Doing these aren't a huge boost in performance, but they definitely help. They also provide little goals to work to.

This (http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-open-beta-begins-and-mini-guide/#goals) is a guide to doing all the matter boards. They don't provide exp like orders do, but they give you good equipment. The good equipment let you kill faster, which should help your EXP rate. Every time you complete all the yellow quests in them, you can unlock a new story quest, which in turn unlocks a new matterboard with better items (Board 5 has the best items out right now, in my opinion).

And again, some people give repeatable orders, available 24 hours after completion (in some cased, 72). Load up on all the orders for a specific zone and do them all at once, and you should get a ton of exp. This isn't really viable until your second time leveling, since you won't have them all unlocked. But it's good incentive to get them all done.

What else... Multiparty zones? Some areas allow you to group up with up to 11 other people, with enemy spawns being bigger to compensate. Of course, that means much more exp. The first time this is really big is unlocked at lv5, the forest exploration.

Since you don't know about client orders, do you know about unlocking new areas? You need to talk with an NPC, Koffee, and complete her orders to progress. I remember my entire 1-20 experience being me doing each mission once, then doing all of Koffee's quests, and being ready for the next area.

I don't think I've completely helped, but let me know if you have any more questions. I want to make sure you're up to speed.

Sesheenku
Sep 26, 2012, 03:53 PM
I believe in 10 hours my Hunter was already level 13 lol but I was working on ONE class.

Do Forest exploration and get into a MPA and grind. It was fun for me to grind, I knew Fighter awaited me at the end!

Don't level more than one class and then complain leveling is too slow, with just one class I only just started to get annoyed with one area only when finally a new one was unlocked anyways.

After you unlock desert and mines make sure to go to b3 and do as many MPA's as possible and you'll level in no time I got from 1-30 in 3 and a quarter days doing it this way and reached fighter by the end of that 3rd day of play.

Leveling is just about the easiest thing to do in the game.

Naturally I no lifed it so I don't expect you to put in quite as many hours as I did but I think you can hit 30 double or triple that time depending how many hours you play a day.

Saffran
Sep 26, 2012, 04:50 PM
Basically, you level up a lot through the exp rewards of certain client orders. Sometimes (and by that I mean on rare occasions) you can get a healthy chunk of exp when doing a specific, emergency mission and getting to a really good multiparty area where players will try to get some serious PSE burst going on. But that's really not the common situation.

The common situation is, you do the first weapon missions from Hans near the central elevator, then a couple of others from Joseph, and slowly, your character builds up the levels.
Then you let Coffee boss you around in her client orders and it will unlock all kinds of shenanigans, which you can use for your other classes once you hit the maximum in the class you're currently using.

btw Zorafim, the new girl Barbara is at about the place where the J is on your map, but on the lower floor. (gives the weapon missions for the new classes)

XoPachi
Sep 26, 2012, 05:02 PM
I tried 1 client order and completed it. Lavelle. Her second one is impossible at my level (the stupid timed Dagan hunt bullcrap). I don't kill things fast enough right now. The only way for me to get big quest points to complete it are by getting caught in Breeahda emergency codes. But they always swarm me and I die in 4 hits. Using Dimates is incredibly slow even when I get away so I get hit and killed anyway. I tried it 6 times just now. Came close 4.

There are no other client orders at the moment either.

And I'll complain about slow leveling all I want considering I only switched classes BECAUSE it was going at a dead snail pace. I really don't know what to do at this point. I think I'm just gonna uninstall. No use getting frustrated over a game.
These issues are why I stay away from JRPG's usually. Bad, slow, grind fests. Poor quests, and nothing ever goes smoothly. Stuck at level 5? Trickster, Maple Story, and La Tale weren't even this slow.
I just figured this game would be the best. Oh well. :/

Thanks for trying to help, though.

Maronji
Sep 26, 2012, 08:48 PM
I tried 1 client order and completed it. Lavelle. Her second one is impossible at my level (the stupid timed Dagan hunt bullcrap). I don't kill things fast enough right now. The only way for me to get big quest points to complete it are by getting caught in Breeahda emergency codes. But they always swarm me and I die in 4 hits. Using Dimates is incredibly slow even when I get away so I get hit and killed anyway. I tried it 6 times just now. Came close 4.
I think someone once said that if you just focus on killing Dagans and ONLY Dagans, it's enough for an S-Rank (plus it's a heck of a lot faster for Koffie and Lavelle's timed client orders). You could try that. Another tip I can give you is that in Area 2, memorize where the Dagans spawn. Try to make a route based on where they spawn (if you don't go far enough, they won't respawn) and just go back and forth between different spawn points, killing every single Dagan that spawns and nothing else (except the Breeahdas if you're feeling brave enough).

Afin (yellow-haired Newman(?) Ranger; usually walking around near the Campship exit in the lobby) should have a few client orders if you haven't done them already. His first one unlocks additional client orders from Ohza (green-haired guy by the center elevator), Marlu (violet(?)-haired girl in the purple-ish dress on the other side of Ohza), and Lisa (a CAST girl way towards the back; stand between Ohza and Marlu, and put your back to the elevator; you'll see her pretty quick), depending on your class (you have to be Lv2 to unlock them, though) that unlock even further client orders from Joseph. Refer to the map that Zoraphim posted for NPC locations.

Also, Hans is on the completely opposite side of the lobby from Lavelle. Provided that you did Afin's first client order (that one seems to be required to get most of the rest unlocked), he should have something for you to do.

And I'll complain about slow leveling all I want considering I only switched classes BECAUSE it was going at a dead snail pace. I really don't know what to do at this point. I think I'm just gonna uninstall. No use getting frustrated over a game.
... No offense, but I'm actually curious to know every single little thing you did for those 10 hours to only hit Lv5 Hunter and Lv3 Ranger. I ran the Dagan Elimination quest at Lv1 Techer when I unlocked it (default Wand, no units; only advantage was my over-leveled Technics) and I hit Lv4 by the time I finished it (of course, I didn't take Lavelle's client order, so I wasn't on a time limit).

Rien
Sep 26, 2012, 10:03 PM

These issues are why I stay away from JRPG's usually. Bad, slow, grind fests. Poor quests, and nothing ever goes smoothly. Stuck at level 5? Trickster, Maple Story, and La Tale weren't even this slow.
I just figured this game would be the best. Oh well. :/

Thanks for trying to help, though.

And here I was thinking PSO2 is one of the faster paced games.

Of course you die in four hits.

There's something we like to do and it's called

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgyk71VRoUE

(FYI, double-tapping a direction key or pressing X on the keyboard accomplishes this)

The whole reason you're slow is because you simply didn't grasp the whole leveling process. You aren't supposed to just find the biggest army of mobs to kill until you hit the next level, you're meant to grab a client order (the equivalent of quests in other RPGs) and then hunt down that specific mob or complete the task. At no point in this game should you be aimlessly grinding a quest. Ever.

Now try again with the feedback everyone else has given you.

Gardios
Sep 26, 2012, 11:55 PM
Another tip I can give you is that in Area 2, memorize where the Dagans spawn. Try to make a route based on where they spawn (if you don't go far enough, they won't respawn) and just go back and forth between different spawn points, killing every single Dagan that spawns and nothing else (except the Breeahdas if you're feeling brave enough).
Just patrol the river—the end of it and the waterfall are guaranteed to spawn Dagans and you should come across even more between those two points.

himegoto
Sep 27, 2012, 02:50 AM
I just started the game and level 10 now. Maybe in 5 or 6 hours?
But yeah I do agree it's all been a grind so far and boring.

Sesheenku
Sep 27, 2012, 04:44 AM
And here I was thinking PSO2 is one of the faster paced games.

Of course you die in four hits.

There's something we like to do and it's called

TFS Running Gag: Dodge! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgyk71VRoUE)

(FYI, double-tapping a direction key or pressing X on the keyboard accomplishes this)

The whole reason you're slow is because you simply didn't grasp the whole leveling process. You aren't supposed to just find the biggest army of mobs to kill until you hit the next level, you're meant to grab a client order (the equivalent of quests in other RPGs) and then hunt down that specific mob or complete the task. At no point in this game should you be aimlessly grinding a quest. Ever.

Now try again with the feedback everyone else has given you.

I love you. That is all.

Also yes as far as the action oriented PS games with the rpg elements we've always died in naught but a few hits. If you don't like that than build a tank hunter dear OP, otherwise get used to being on your toes cause there's not going to be a time when you're in a run that is catered to your level group where the enemies won't kill you in just a few hits. It's the beauty of games like this, I for one assure you though, once you get used to the game, it's ridiculously easy to avoid getting hurt badly.

Ranger has Range, Force has range, Hunter has guard and a dodge. Gunner has an epic dodge, Fighter has a fluid and quick dodge, Techter has resta and buffs.

I can't tell you my experience with all of them at this time but I can tell you that as a Fighter, getting hit is rare although I'm at close range with all the evasive maneuvers I can do, and daggers oh lol those are just wonderful, you can sit above a mob all day and pick them apart one by one.

Ana-Chan
Sep 27, 2012, 06:19 AM
Jean also has a few easy client orders which teaches you about the game's systems.

Also, please remember that each quest has a monster level and also a minimum class level. For example, the dagan extermination quest, it has a monster level of 5, but no minimum class level, which means you can go into it at level 1. The nav rappy quest has a monster level of 7 but a minimum class level of 5, so you can go into it at level 5. Don't worry about being underlevelled in these cases since your stats and units start making up for it.

That also reminds me, are you actually equipping units? They increase your defence so it is a good idea.

But anyway, you start to speed up when you start getting photon arts/techniques and start figuring out the enemy attack patterns.

To be honest though, I don't level up that quickly myself since I don't see the point in rushing to 40 all around. I have been taking my time and just killing things, but then again, I'm really in this for the fun I get out of playing the game, not the stats/levels/damage.

If you do still have problems. Try teaming up with other players or use NPCs (I know people will dislike me for writing that, but I don't care). Teaming up with other humans is better, but using NPCs can help. They are mostly usless and don't revive you, but they give you extra damage and when you have at least two of them, provide extra enemies. They also automatically revive when they die, so you can just ignore them most of the time too.

otaku998
Sep 27, 2012, 08:06 AM
Somehow this kind of thread is everywhere in every MMO, i myself find this game have enough grind, not too many not too less at this point. If you like the game, some grind is no problem anyway. If you don't like, even a bit grind/stale will make you feel frustrated and quit.

1-2 hours into the game, minus the tutorial and the learning steps, is kinda enough to get you to level 10 or close to it. After that quests appears a lot from many different clients make going to 20 is a piece of cake. 20 to 25 might be a bit slow, but there is emergency quest for that where you can join hardmode at just level 20 for plenty of exp and money. Again, after 25, leveling becomes piece of cake again.

If anything, meseta grind might be really grindy cause non-AC user can't put up shop, but even that is acceptable. Even 2nd, 3rd classes or something leveling doesn't feel too slow for me, at least with this cap anyway. Just check daily quests often (a lot of them, and they give a lot of exp), and go to crowded block to take full advantage of MPA.

It is also important to get some friends to play with if possible, that will help, at least mentally